Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginnings of cure for cancer just discovered?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Beginnings of cure for cancer just discovered?

https://fox4kc.com/2018/12/11/ohio-m...linical-trial/

Cliffs:

A woman with cancer had survived 9 years, but in 2018, it was found spreading through her lungs and chest, and she was considered terminal.

She accepted an experimental treatment where she was injected with T-cells which were specifically engineered to seek and destroy cancer cells.

The cancer was completely eradicated, from what they can tell.

However, this therapy (known as CAR-T therapy) is new and just being tested, and it has found only to work for some people.

Comments

BCR: Wow, thx for this

Load Metric
    Looking good for me as a 24 year old, still probably too late for the rest of you old farts

Platinum
    Load Metric
    T cell immunotherapy rarely works at curing cancer. When it occasionally does, It has a lot to do with the specific signature of the cancer and the subjects immune system, and there is currently little understanding of why it works when it does.

In the short to medium term I doubt T cell immunotherapy becomes a cure all. At best I think we can learn to Diagnose specific situations where prognosis for immunotherapy is favorable or unfavorable, and we can engineer more effective cancer fighting clones to marginally increase efficacy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Cliffs:

A woman with cancer had survived 9 years, but in 2018, it was found spreading through her lungs and chest, and she was considered terminal.

She accepted an experimental treatment where she was injected with T-cells which were specifically engineered to seek and destroy cancer cells.

However, this therapy (known as CAR-T therapy) is new and just being tested, and it has found only to work for some people.
    So spill the beans... which biotech penny stock is this you are talking about

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Also, I obviously don’t know the specifics of what this group did, but this technology has generally been around a long time. It was a thing I learned about when I was in grad school 15 years ago. The efficacy was low then, and to the best of my knowledge it hasn’t gotten much better.

I read the article and IMO they are way over-selling the novelty and efficacy of this procedure, which is typical when a non scientific publication writes about a medical advance, especially a “potential cure for cancer”

Comments

MumblesBadly: Exposing the hype of pop science articles rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Also, I obviously don’t know the specifics of what this group did, but this technology has generally been around a long time. It was a thing I learned about when I was in grad school 15 years ago. The efficacy was low then, and to the best of my knowledge it hasn’t gotten much better.

I read the article and IMO they are way over-selling the novelty and efficacy of this procedure, which is typical when a non scientific publication writes about a medical advance, especially a “potential cure for cancer”

What are your thoughts on cancer being a mitochondrial metabolic disease?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post

Your question is completely nonsensical, probably because you are trolling and using words you don’t understand the meaning of.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Devidee did have some comprehension of these terms. You are conceited ass for arrogantly assuming otherwise.

Load Metric

Your question is completely nonsensical, probably because you are trolling and using words you don’t understand the meaning of.
    I was referring to the work done by Thomas Seyfried.

https://peterattiamd.com/tomseyfried/

Load Metric

What do you think of the crspr technology/stocks? They are volatile and don’t make. Money yet.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

What do you think of the crspr technology/stocks? They are volatile and don’t make. Money yet.
    I don’t know anything about the financial side of biotech. From what I understand the technology itself is real (which a lot of biotech isn’t), but I don’t know how that translates into the financial world.

Load Metric
    There'll probably never be a "cure for Cancer," but there are already a bunch if cures for a bunch of cancers, and many more cures for namy more cancers will still come down the pipe.

But a "Cure for Cancer" is very unlikely, because there are so, so many types of very different cancers, with different causes and different patterns and effects, etc.

Comments

MumblesBadly: That is what I have also read.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I skimmed the article. From what I can tell the basic premise is that if you keep your blood glucose low through a low carb diet it will preferentially negatively affect the metabolism of cancer/ pre-cancer cells. I don’t know enough about metabolism to know whether this is true or not, but there is probably so many other health benefits from a relatively low calorie low carb diet that it is probably a good idea to follow such a diet regardless.

Load Metric

I skimmed the article. From what I can tell the basic premise is that if you keep your blood glucose low through a low carb diet it will preferentially negatively affect the metabolism of cancer/ pre-cancer cells. I don’t know enough about metabolism to know whether this is true or not, but there is probably so many other health benefits from a relatively low calorie low carb diet that it is probably a good idea to follow such a diet regardless.
    The hypothesis is that cancer cells cannot survive on ketones as a fuel source.

Load Metric
    sidedish would rather die than be forced to get an injection of T cells

Comments

splitthis: Low T

Load Metric
    Wow, that’s a particularly useful link for me considering I am acquainted with a couple in western pa where the wife, who has 3 children under 12, just got a devastating cancer diagnosis of that same variety a week ago and is in the process of trying to decide her best course of action between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and her staging is clinical trial level serious.. My girlfriend literally just cooked dinner for the children last night as the husband is back and forth between Pittsburgh and the sports moms are rotating nights to cook for the family during this ordeal. The couple in the article are even from my hometown. I could hardly believe the timeliness of your link considering the proximity of the care and that this has been a prominent topic of conversation over the past week. I obviously forwarded it to the involved parties right after reading it.

Comments

Tellafriend: god speed

Load Metric

Cliffs:

I’m a little confused, maybe you can clarify. Did Cmoney make it or nah?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Cliffs:

I’m a little confused, maybe you can clarify. Did Cmoney make it or nah?
    He suffered from the same kind of cancer this writer had.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47144368
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    I always looked at this from a different view point. IF they find a cure or treatment that works very well, do the profits of companies which sell cancer causing things like smokes etc suddenly sky rocket?

Wouldn't we all indulge a bit more generally speaking?

Its like if they found a cure for aids, would condom sells drop? Would more men come out and try being bi?

I think in a weird way sometimes lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Them damn Jews in Israel claimed they were on the way to a cure for cancer...

... but then scientists called the claims "irresponsible", and said it's all BS.

This is unrelated to the original post in this thread.

Sadly, I have read countless "we think we found a cure for cancer" news stories over the past 10 years, and all end up as much ado about nothing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Remember that fail movie "Medicine Man" from 1992?

You don't?

It was environmental propaganda medical fantasy about a cure for cancer being found in the Amazon rainforest, and it turned out that a species of ants there were the key to everything. Then loggers ended up destroying the part of the rainforest with the ants, and ruined everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_Man_(film)

Sean Connery must have been desperate for work, because he starred in it.

I only saw it at the time because a girl I was banging in the spring of 1992 found it at the dollar theater, and pressured me to take her. Same reason I saw that lesbo-but-not-lesbo film "Fried Green Tomatoes".

Anyway, it seems that we are all going to croak before a real cure is found.

Thread Information