Thread: Bubbled final table of WSOP Circuit Event last night

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Bubbled final table of WSOP Circuit Event last night

I don't play many (or any) tournaments outside of the WSOP.

Anyway, there was a $330+$50+$20 O8 WSOP Circuit event at The Bike last night, and I decided to do it. Hard to find O8 tournaments nowadays.

Got seated next to Kessler, who was to my left. Kessler ended up arguing with several people at the table at various points.

I immediately started off well, and ran my 15k starting stack to 53k (keep in mind this was a LIMIT event), and was probably the chip leader.

90 people entered, meaning 9 spots paid. Oddly, had there been 91 entrants, 12 would have paid.

Obviously with 90 people in a $400 event, we weren't playing for big money. 9th place was just $945, and first was $9505. Still, I've never had a Circuit cash before, and I kinda wanted a ring. I think I've only played 2 Circuit events lifetime, and none in the 2010s.

The levels only last 30 minutes, and O8 can be a slow game because of all the split pots, so as you can imagine, the variance is high.

At one point, I seemed to be headed the wrong direction, as I stopped winning hands and fell to 24k, with about half the field left, putting me below average in chips. However, I recovered, and hung around average for awhile.

I did get short again later on, but doubled up.

I had Jc3c6dAh, and the flop was Qs5c4d. I check-raised the flop, and the turn was 9c. What I didn't realize was that my opponent had 9967, giving him middle set, even though I picked up a flush draw as well. Of course, I still had the 2nd low draw. Well, the turn was 2c, giving me both the flush and the nut low, and the guy (who had already angled Kessler and generally had a bad attitude) was furious and kept bitching about it for the rest of the tournament, as this brought him to a shortstack. LOL at playing 9967 from middle position though.

I went into the final 10 with 112k, where we combined to one table. There was one shortstack there. Average was 135k, so I wasn't too far off.

Unfortunately, I then ran into Q high flush over T high flush (I check/called the turn when it hit), and then a little bit later flopped a flush against the same guy while holding THREE clubs, only to find that, again, he also had a flush better than mine. On the second one, I did take the low, but I was really needing chips at that point and didn't get them.

Final hand I had 40k coming in. Six minutes left in the day, and I was on the BB (4k/8k). Nobody else was short anymore. If I survived, I would have to drive over 50 miles in LA traffic just to come back to play a shortstack on the bubble of a small event. Ugh. I started thinking if it was even worth doing, especially if I dropped another 12k or more from the blinds.

Dealt 8x9dTdJx. Limped multiple ways. I checked.

Flop J98 rainbow.

Well, this was it!

I bet, a guy who is usually on the passive side raised, and then a tight woman (Gina Hecht, who played Seinfeld's psychologist) 3-bet. Ugh. Super obvious she had QT, and a decent chance the other guy had QT, though it was possible he had a set or T7. Should I put the final 32k in, knowing I'm behind, and knowing I'm really drawing thin (or virtually dead) the guy has has a set?

After a brief moment of consideration, the decision was YES, I had to. Even thought I knew the woman had QT, I still had to, and that decision was weighted even more by my lack of desire to return the next day with a tiny stack. If the guy didn't have a set, then I was drawing live to any J, 9, or 8 (6 outs), plus chopping with any Q (3 outs).

So we went 5 bets on the flop, and I was all in.

Turn 6. river A. Turned out both had QT and neither had a low. And that was all, folks. The stone bubble boy.

Took 11 fucking hours to get there. This is why I hate tournaments, and this is also why I don't play small buyin events. Even when you do cash, you really need to finish at the top to make it worth the time and trouble.

I walked outside the Bike and it was raining, which was fitting. It wasn't even supposed to be raining anymore. LA was hit with a strange storm which was incorrectly forecasted to bring just 0.5 inches, but instead hung around for days and caused mudslides. It was supposed to be long gone by 2am last night, but there was just enough left to rain on me on the way out.

I promptly filled up my tank at a ghetto gas station, drove the 3 miles to Commerce, and sat in $100/$200 limit holdem, which was running shorthanded.

Promptly won $3075 from there, and then it broke. Moved to $40/$80 and won a few more hundred before quitting.

So I won like $3300 in a short time playing cash, which was better than 4th place money.

Fuck tournaments.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    man you are a glutton for punishment druff...O8 cash games are fucking miserable enough as it is, can't imagine what O8 tourneys are...

Silver
    Load Metric
    Play the $600 NL circuit event tomorrow at 10 am, I’ll buy you a Starbucks something or other tho may not be good for you stomach ailment.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    Play the $600 NL circuit event tomorrow at 10 am, I’ll buy you a Starbucks something or other tho may not be good for you stomach ailment.
    Sorry, one trip to the Bike to play a 3-figure tournament for 11 hours for nothing was enough for me.

But I'll be glad to meet you some other time.

Load Metric
    If you are tilted about bubbling a $400 tournament, you really need to get your fucking act together.

Load Metric
    But in all seriousness the Friday night Tournament at the Gardens is pretty fucking value and a great way to kick off the weekend.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    If you are tilted about bubbling a $400 tournament, you really need to get your fucking act together.
    I spent 11 hours on that shit. That's why it bothers me.

Also I was near average stacked going into the final 10, so I had a legit chance to win a WSOP ring on my third try ever. Also, there were some players among those other 9 who weren't very good. Instead I left with nothing.

But as I said, at least I won $3300 at Commerce right after.

The guy who ended up winning (Frankie O'Dell) is a good player, though.

Load Metric
    tldr

Druff played a $400 limit o8 tourney. Got sad he played for 11 hours and won nothing. Then this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I promptly filled up my tank at a ghetto gas station, drove the 3 miles to Commerce, and sat in $100/$200 limit holdem, which was running shorthanded.

Promptly won $3075 from there, and then it broke. Moved to $40/$80 and won a few more hundred before quitting.

So I won like $3300 in a short time playing cash, which was better than 4th place money.

Fuck tournaments.
    Fuck $400 o8 tourneys. Sounds so painful.

Load Metric

Also I was near average stacked going into the final 10, so I had a legit chance to win a WSOP ring on my third try ever. Also, there were some players among those other 9 who weren't very good. Instead I left with nothing.

Ok. Let me explain to you why myself and most of this community are giving you shit. You are Old Man Coffee!!!!! You play the games that only Old Man Coffee play. I am having the time of my life playing PLO and printing money playing PLO games on the weekends. This used to be an expensive hobby of mine, now it is a legit side grind for me.

Load Metric
    By the way you and I were pissing side by side a couple weeks ago.

Comments

duped_samaritan: 8===) ~~~~~

Platinum
    Load Metric

Ok. Let me explain to you why myself and most of this community are giving you shit. You are Old Man Coffee!!!!! You play the games that only Old Man Coffee play. I am having the time of my life playing PLO and printing money playing PLO games on the weekends. This used to be an expensive hobby of mine, now it is a legit side grind for me.
    so just how good are the PLO games out in LA? I catch live at the bike games from time to time and those 5/5, 5/5/10 NHLE games seem like they are absolutely insane so I can only imagine what the PLO games are like...swings have to make you want to fuck barf though...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    By the way you and I were pissing side by side a couple weeks ago.
    How romantic.

I assume this was at Commerce on November 16?

Platinum
    Load Metric

I remember him from way back in the day. I only played with him a few times in ring games at Commerce (normally a O8 game which only ran during tourneys) after he had busted from a tourney. He was definitely good for the game. Was way overaggro and overplayed marginal hands.

I am curious if Druff thinks he is actually a good all around player or just has a style that works well in Omaha tourneys, but not in cash. I am going back 10+ years so it is also possible he is better now than he was. If he has survived this long that is probably likely.

Thread Information