Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Shrink goes to Hawaii

Gold
    Body-surfed Sandy Beach many times. Also saw many a couple get slammed by a few inches of water.

Oh shit - I’m retarded. 100% Must do is the ATV tour of the big ranch on Oahu. Probably the highlight of my honeymoon. Pay the extra and do the 2 hour/extended tour. They take you through areas that you will recognize from Jurassic Park and Jumanji. The halfway point they take you up the side of one of the “mountains” and they cut down some mangos......

Fun fun fun time.... I’ll try and look up the name of it.

I know I said you “had to do” Waikiki and I stand by it but it’s a one night/day thing. What’s amazing about it is how over run the local shopping is by the Japanese. Literally looks like downtown Tokyo.

Hawaii Trip Report

Recently got back from our trip to Hawaii. Man. What a spot. I've heard so many people rave about Hawaii and I didn't quite get it until I actually saw it in the flesh. It is fucking incredible.

In the end we went for 10 days and stayed on two islands - Maui and Kauai. I'll review each in separate posts (with a few pics).

Here's a general summary of my experiences:

Hawaii is the best place I've ever vacationed. When trying to explain to my friends I highlighted a few main reasons:
    -Everywhere you look it's stunning. Green mountainsides that way, blue ocean that way.
    -The weather is perfect (not too hot, not too cold; water is surprisingly warm)
    -No bugs
    -Food is amazing
    -Endless things to do and see
    -Everyone speaks English
    -Nobody is trying to scam you (literally every other tourist destination I've been someone is trying to hustle you in some way)

Some downsides:
    -Expensive - gas, groceries, restaurants, excursions, etc. - we spent an ungodly amount of money. Even with the $3500 head start from my "lottery" win it was still the most expensive vacation I've ever been on. However, we also had the mindset that we likely wouldn't be back anytime soon so we just went for it.
    -Travel time - we were coming from the east coast of Canada which required nearly 24 hours to get to our first hotel in Maui door-to-door (drive to airport, flight to Newark, Newark-to-Honolulu, Honolulu to Maui, drive to hotel).
    -Driving was a bit hairy at times (despite the hilariously low speed limits - e.g., 10 mph - at times). I'll get into that in my other posts.

Otherwise, it was well worth the effort to get there and the money spent.

Aloha!

Name:  IMG_4036.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  3.52 MB

Comments

duped_samaritan: looking forward to full report

Sheesfaced:

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Looking Foward To Trip Report Rep

gimmick:

Crowe Diddly:

Spookygook:

Tellafriend: nice

Two times on the big island, no other islands, not sure why, but I hate going through security with kids and minimize it. Security at the HI airports is really not bad, so if I did it again I'd island hop.

You're right- everything is very expensive. Maybe 1.3x? on anything, down to a can of beans in the grocery store.

I agree, too, about no scams. People there seem happy because they want to be there. While more expensive, this made my happier to spend my tourist dollars with happy people that in Mexico, for example, where I got the read that every local would kill me then rape me if he could get away with it, then rob me.

Loved the big island.

Blog Entries
    Good prelim-trip-report, Shrink. I look forward to the rest.

I was last in Hawaii in 2015. Since I have my anxiety issues 90% under control now, I am probably okay to take that flight again. I would like to go back. Despite traveling a lot in my young years, I didn't make it to Hawaii until I was close to 28 years old. I've been back several times since.

I agree with most of what you wrote. The flight from eastern Canada/US sucks. It's what us west coasters have to go through in order to get to Europe. I'm jealous of people in the northeast being able to fly to London in 5 hours, but I'm not jealous of the 4 hour flight necessary to Vegas and the 10-11 hour flight to Hawaii.

I would like to hear about your driving difficulties. I've driven pretty much everywhere in Maui, Kauai, and Oahu and did not experience any real problem driving, even on the "Road to Hana" which was talked up as being a lot scarier than it was. Well, I guess the drive up to Mauna Kea can be a bit scary too, but it's not bad.

Regarding the expense, see my post from last year. Tons of variance in expense in Hawaii travel. I know you won the trip so you had to use their travel agency, so that reduced your choices. But for "normal" trips there, I'd recommend a lot of shopping around (for hotels especially) and a lot of eyes kept on the prices to make sure they don't fall. Never prepay if you can't cancel.

Probably didn't help that you are using the lol Canadian dollar, which has been weak against the US for the past few years.

Anyway, looking forward to the report.

Thread Information