Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Bush 41

Load Metric

RIP Bush 41

He died.

Trump gonna be so jealous of Bush and that earthquake this week.

Load Metric

Bush 41 is DD

That leaves Carter Clinton Bush43 and Obama as the remaining living Former Presidents. Hell Carter might live forever at this rate.

Seems GS and I were posting at the same time. One thing I wanted to add. I met George, Barbara, and his grandson George Prescott Bush who’s number 3 I think in the current Texas State Govt all back in Dec of 1985 when my dad was a Sr Col in the Army and had connections enough to grab an invite on the Sec of the Army’s train to Philly for the Army Navy game. Bush was Reagan’s VP back then. Seemed like fairly down to earth guy. I got to meet Reagan when he spoke at my HS in 1988 so I can say I met two Presidents technically and if GP Bush runs and I think he will in 24 or 28 maybe 3. He’s just younger then Druff and I. Unlike his idiot uncle GP actually was a career military guy before he went into Govt.
    Last edited by ftpjesus; 11-30-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I liked him. He got fucked on the matter of the economy. Recession hit in late 91, continued through most of 92, and just started lifting at the end of 92. However, the end of the recession was too close to the election, so nobody really noticed. He got beat pretty handily by an upstart Bill Clinton, who came out of nowhere to first crush the Democratic field, and then Bush.

Bush had a 91% approval rating during the January 1991 Gulf War, and it was such a certainty he'd be reelected that there was talk in the Democratic Party that nobody really wanted to run against him.

The recession changed that, but so did Bush's mistake of violating his, "Read my lips, no new taxes" pledge, which was actually a misguided attempt at bipartisanship.

He was a smart and good man, who was a better President than his son would be eight years later.

He became friendly with Bill Clinton and then Michelle Obama in his later years, showing just how likable the guy really was.

Comments

MumblesBadly: He was an excellent president. Especially when he make that tax increase deal with the Democrats. But he was a bit of a doufus when it came to party politics. Hence doing that deal with the Democrats.

Load Metric
    My grandparents lived in Kennebunkport, ME - probably less than 5 miles from the Bush vacation home.

When I visited them in the summer, it was always more fun when they were in town.

When we went out on the boat, my grandfather would point out all the secret service boats around the Bush compound - they would always wave and seem super friendly until we got too close - then it was bullhorn and all business.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    I always liked bush, sad to hear it's dead.

Comments

limitles: this made me laugh twice

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bush was 3.5 months older than Carter.

Many perceive Carter to be older because he was President 12 years earlier than Bush.

I do agree that it does appear Carter is going to live forever.

94 years is a good lifespan though. I'll be thrilled if I make it that long.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I liked him. He got fucked on the matter of the economy. Recession hit in late 91, continued through most of 92, and just started lifting at the end of 92. However, the end of the recession was too close to the election, so nobody really noticed. He got beat pretty handily by an upstart Bill Clinton, who came out of nowhere to first crush the Democratic field, and then Bush.

Bush had a 91% approval rating during the January 1991 Gulf War, and it was such a certainty he'd be reelected that there was talk in the Democratic Party that nobody really wanted to run against him.

The recession changed that, but so did Bush's mistake of violating his, "Read my lips, no new taxes" pledge, which was actually a misguided attempt at bipartisanship.

He was a smart and good man, who was a better President than his son would be eight years later.

He became friendly with Bill Clinton and then Michelle Obama in his later years, showing just how likable the guy really was.

I believe he was both a smart and good man but being top dog in the CIA and President will take some of the good out of the equation

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    April 12, 1947

Yale versus Fordham

Yale had a guy named George Bush at 1B.

Fordham had a guy named Vin Scully at CF.

Yes, exactly who you think.

Load Metric
    really?

Load Metric
    Really great non-political artical about Carter published just a few months ago:
    The un-celebrity president Jimmy Carter shuns riches, lives modestly in his Georgia hometown

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3c291a06bc61
    https://outline.com/BH7Abp <<<--- if you hit paywall

This is why he is still alive.

TLDR (you should really read the whole thing though)

Jimmy Carter finishes his Saturday night dinner, salmon and broccoli casserole on a paper plate, flashes his famous toothy grin and calls playfully to his wife of 72 years, Rosalynn: “C’mon, kid.”

She laughs and takes his hand, and they walk carefully through a neighbor’s kitchen filled with 1976 campaign buttons, photos of world leaders and a couple of unopened cans of Billy Beer, then out the back door, where three Secret Service agents wait.
    Carter is the only president in the modern era to return full-time to the house he lived in before he entered politics — a two-bedroom rancher assessed at $167,000, less than the value of the armored Secret Service vehicles parked outside.
    They do this just about every weekend in this tiny town where they were born — he almost 94 years ago, she almost 91. Dinner at their friend Jill Stuckey’s house, with plastic Solo cups of ice water and one glass each of bargain-brand chardonnay, then the half-mile walk home to the ranch house they built in 1961.
    ^^That's happiness

Comments

MumblesBadly: Agreed
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 11-30-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Really great non-political artical about Carter published just a few months ago:
    The un-celebrity president Jimmy Carter shuns riches, lives modestly in his Georgia hometown

https://outline.com/BH7Abp

Seriously, read it.
    Carter is a good man.

He had no clue how to be President, but is a good man.

Can't say the same for Bill Clinton... or Trump for that matter.

Load Metric

Seriously, read it.
    On Carter.

I read an article about 30 years ago that said he used to help build houses for the underprivileged. One full day of free labour every month or something like that.

Terribly ineffecient president but a remarkable man.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

Seriously, read it.
    On Carter.

I read an article about 30 years ago that said he used to help build houses for the underprivileged. One full day of free labour every month or something like that.

Carter did this well into his eighty's and he's probably the most recent decent man to hold office

Inefficient by what standards. Did he not invade enough sovereign nations or the like ya damn auz

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

duped_samaritan: *tear*

Jayjami: Trump would never have the class to write a letter like this.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Regarding Carter, he got pwned super hard by Iranian terrorists, and that pretty much underscored how wrong he was for the job of President.

That plus the stagflation meant that pretty much any warm body on the Republican side could have beaten him in 1980, though Reagan also happened to be a strong candidate.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Regarding Carter, he got pwned super hard by Iranian terrorists, and that pretty much underscored how wrong he was for the job of President.

That plus the stagflation meant that pretty much any warm body on the Republican side could have beaten him in 1980, though Reagan also happened to be a strong candidate.
    Oh I see, unlike recent presidents, small caps, he wasn't owned by Iranian terrorists.
    Never mind a few lives.
    How much did that cost vs stagflation?
    You're still fighting and losing lives and money because of the terrorists
    Vietnam 2.0

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Please explain how you would have dealt with the Iranian hostage situation, in hindsight.
    Very easy to say after the fact. Carter is a man of character not swayed by the situation at hand

Iran-Contra debacle..........go

The popular belief during the hostage incident was that Carter was weak. Reagan's tenure changed nothing. In fact the arms trade agreement likely made the situation worse than imagined
    Last edited by limitles; 11-30-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

On Carter.

Carter did this well into his eighty's and he's probably the most recent decent man to hold office

Inefficient by what standards. Did he not invade enough sovereign nations or the like ya damn auz
    If he played the typical political games and did a few more favors on Capitol Hill he might have avoided a lot of issues in passing legislation... and had a few more friends.
    Good on him for not playing those corrupt games.

I don't think it's a stretch to say he was ineffective.

Load Metric

Carter definitely fucked up dealing with the Iranians, but he deserves a ton of credit for nominating Paul Volcker to be Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board knowing that Volcker would take drastic action to control inflation, which meant severely slowing down the economy.

Also, Carter pushed through deregulation of the domestic oil industry, which hated him for it because that resulted in much greater competition in the distribution of oil and oil products within the country, and spurred more domestic production of oil because it could now be sold *absent* regulatory restriction across state lines.

Together, these two policies he pushed through, and which he got a ton of political and public opinion flack for, significantly helped the econony do well by the time Reagan ran for re-election in 1984.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 12-01-2018 at 11:14 PM. Reason: “absent”!
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information