Thread: The Growing Movement of Men Who Secretly Remove Condoms During Sex

Diamond
    Load Metric

The Growing Movement of Men Who Secretly Remove Condoms During Sex

The Growing Movement of Men Who Secretly Remove Condoms During Sex

A 2017 study takes an in-depth look at the practice of removing a condom during sex without a partner's knowledge or consent, also known as "stealthing."

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...mNMCaZWarHhhQI

In 2014, a 19-year-old Florida teen posted a call for advice in the subreddit askgaybros. In the post, he said he met a guy on Grindr and went back to his place to hook up. When the guy asked to have sex without a condom, the teenager explicitly said no. But during the encounter, he discovered his partner had removed the condom. Panicking and unsure of what to do, the poster said he endured the experience, "already fucking crying in my head."

It was only his sixth sexual encounter, he wrote, and he felt "ruined."

The reddit post sheds light on a common, although rarely discussed, form of gender-based violence: the practice of a man removing a condom during sex without his partner's knowledge or consent. A 2017 study published in the Columbia Journal of Gender and Law goes more in-depth on this phenomenon, also known as "stealthing."

Alexandra Brodsky, a legal fellow at the National Women's Law Center and author of the study, spoke with a number of people, mostly women, who have experienced nonconsensual condom removal. While every survivor's experience is different, Brodsky pointed to two common themes that appeared in her conversations: "The first is that, unsurprisingly, survivors fear unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections," she writes. "The second is that, apart from these specific outcomes, survivors experienced nonconsensual condom removal as a clear violation of their bodily autonomy and the trust they had mistakenly placed in their sexual partner."

One woman told Brodsky: "Obviously the part that really freaked me out . . . was that it was such a blatant violation of what we'd agreed to. I set a boundary. I was very explicit." Another, recognizing how similarly violating "stealthing" felt to other forms of sexual assault, called the practice "rape-adjacent."

In an interview with the Huffington Post, Brodsky says she became aware of the phenomenon during law school four years ago, when many of her friends were "struggling with forms of mistreatment by sexual partners that weren't considered part of the recognized repertoire of gender based violence ― but that seemed rooted in the same misogyny and lack of respect."

For her study, she sought to find testimonies from victims online; instead, she came across the term "stealthing" and discovered narratives from actual perpetrators teaching others how to exercise their "natural male right."

"Those are some dark corners of the Internet that I would like to never visit again," she tells Broadly.

One instance she points to in her article was penned by someone who went by the username onesickmind. He documented "a comprehensive guide" to stealth sex on the website Experience Project, including suggestions on how to get away with condom removal, which he noted "should be reserved as a last resort or for the experienced pros at stealth sex."

"Of course," he writes, "you can always try the, 'what's wrong? I thought you knew it was off? You mean you didn't feel it? I thought you knew!!' approach which for me has had a surprisingly high success rate."

The study suggests the practice may violate a number of criminal and civil laws, but also admits many existing statutes may prove "insufficient for victims" who want to take legal recourse against a perpetrator for nonconsensual condom removal. (None of the survivors Brodksy interviewed took legal action, but it's worth noting that a man in Switzerland was convicted of rape earlier this year for secretly removing a condom during sex.) In order to really address victims' needs and help redefine sexual norms, the study states, a new law specific to condom removal might be the best path forward.

Brodsky says one of her goals with this research was to give language to a common experience. In the conversations she had with survivors, she found that "their struggle to name the practice felt really intertwined with the struggle to feel confident that it was a form of gender violence."

"Everyone knew that it felt like a serious violation," Brodsky says. "Everyone knew it was a betrayal of trust. A number of the people I talked to felt like because it wasn't something they'd heard discussed, because it wasn't something they had a name for, they struggled to know how to think about it in the context of other disrespectful and violent sexual experiences they'd had."

Putting a name to a horrific act is the first step to condemning it, she says. "We can't have the conversations we need to have and we can't push back against something if we don't know what to call it."

Additionally, she says, she didn't want to give promoters of this practice control over how we understand it. "I think that term ["stealthing"] really trivializes the harm; it obscures the violence and makes it sound sneaky and maybe regrettable but ultimately an inevitable part of sex, and that's not true. We deserve better than that."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    OSA, do you have sex with dudes with or without a condom?

If I were gay, I would be terrified of bareback sex, given the threat of The AIDS.

It's not like fucking a girl without a condom where the chance of contracting The AIDS is almost zero point zero.

Comments

splitthis: 1step gives aids, that catching ship has already sailed

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    AIDS isn’t a thing like cancer, it’s a myth!

That’s why no one uses it in a serious context the meaning of the word has evolved into a joke itself.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Great story!!

Load Metric
    Conservatives condone the removal of said condoms.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Really? Are you like Trump and Climate Change?
    The earth is round, in case you can't tell.

What a moronic statement.

Quote Originally Posted by RegGaymer View Post

That’s why no one uses it in a serious context the meaning of the word has evolved into a joke itself.
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Load Metric
    This story brought up a bad memory I have taking care of a tranny with aids and advanced anal cancer who was ass bleeding the fuck all over heshe apartment telling me stories of heshe cabaret days while refusing to go to the er.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    This story brought up a bad memory I have taking care of a tranny with aids and advanced anal cancer who was ass bleeding the fuck all over heshe apartment telling me stories of heshe cabaret days while refusing to go to the er.
    If only there was place where, you know, people like that got the oven.

Load Metric

lol internet etc etc but ill always downlow worship you for finding the strength to give people comfort in the face of such visceral horrors.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Growing movement, oooh what a scary thought. The only men who would do this are one night stand creeps who set themselves up for paternity suits. I'm sure the numbers for the gay community are higher because that financial risk would not be a factor.

Load Metric

Only to morons and shitheads.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Bro in all the time I been here never have you posted anything memorable or noteworthy

You’ve gone from mediocrity to the pits

You are the definition of aids!

Fucking dweeb.

Load Metric
    Did not know you and Sonatine even knew each other.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Name:  76ca95e.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  44.4 KB

Load Metric
    Ashamed to admit I once removed the condom before blowing my load.

All over my face it went.

Karma eh

Comments

OSA:
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Bro in all the time I been here never have you posted anything memorable or noteworthy

You’ve gone from mediocrity to the pits

You are the definition of aids!

Fucking dweeb.
    oh no, The Worst doesn't think I'm interesting!

Comments

splitthis: The best

Thread Information