Thread: Conservatism as a Mental Illness

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Conservatism as a Mental Illness

Republican pols have recently exhibited 10 telltale signs of mental illness.
    The specter of mental illness does indeed loom large over creationists, but they are not alone. Signs of psychopathology can also be seen among their political bedfellows, conservative politicians, especially when you consider a wide range of illness indicators. In his award-winning 2005 book, Dr. James Whitney Hicks discusses 50 signs of mental illness including denial, delusion, hallucination, disordered thinking, anger , anti-social behavior, sexual preoccupation, grandiosity, general oddness, and paranoia. Now I'm no clinician, but in my (admittedly biased brown) eyes it seems that prominent Republicans have evidenced each of these ten telltale signs of mental illness over the past year:

1) Denial: humans did not evolve; Obama is not a native-born American Christian
    2) Delusion: climate is not changing
    3) Hallucination: God ordained me to be President
    4) Disordered Thinking: being for small government that's huge in the bedroom; being anti-contraception and anti-abortion
    6) Anti-social Behavior: toward women, gays, minorities, anyone without an umbilical cord or trust fund
    7) Sexual Preoccupation: a fervent compulsion to control when we can mate, with whom we can mate, and precisely how we are allowed to mate (which I lampoon in Why Do Politicians Want to Police Dick and Jane's Private Parts?)
    8) Grandiosity: even Rick Santorum recognizes Gingrich’s “over the moon” grandiosity
    9) General Oddness: Ron Paul
    10) Paranoia: pretty much all of them, all of the time
    Even (the not necessarily dumb) Pope Francis appears to recognize that “it is a serious illness, this of ideological [conservative] Christians. It is an illness, but it is not new, eh?”

For those with an eye, #5, I deleted cause it involved the unevolved Newt, I ask you, Gingrich

Comments

MumblesBadly: And Druff’s denial of how retarded the conservative Christians are in his own party is symptomatic of such a disease.

DrPeters: smh

thesparten: How sad for you, perhaps a living wage job and a girlfriend will help with your condition.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I would argue support of modern conservatism isn't a mental disorder but a "bug" in human nature that unscrupulous powerful people have learned to exploit very effectively.

Over the past 1 million years of human evolution, and going even further the last 4 billions years of life on this planet, conservatism (at the individual and population level) has been generally a very effective survival strategy that has been strongly selected for.

Our societies and lifestyles have changed so radically in the last 100 years or so I no longer think this is true. But to a certain extent sympathy towards conservatism is very engrained in human nature. Ironically, all the technological and information advances we have made in the last 20 years especially, has actually made it easier for unscrupolous powerful people to effectively exploit the "conservatism bug" in our programming.

Load Metric
    neither extreme on this spectrum (liberal / conservative) has any long term survival potential whatsoever.

that the right wing has doubled down by disavowing science and knowledge however is a brave new chapter in snatching extinction from the jaws of evolution itself.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Before y'all get too excited I threw this up to match the troll thread of tony's extreme liberalism.
    Took a few seconds to find an article linking Conservatism to mental illness.
    I do believe Conservatism in the form of the American Republican Party to be the wrong wing however

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    neither extreme on this spectrum (liberal / conservative) has any long term survival potential whatsoever.

that the right wing has doubled down by disavowing science and knowledge however is a brave new chapter in snatching extinction from the jaws of evolution itself.
    It is very possible that extinction (of humans and even life in general) is an inevitable outcome of evolution. Life/evolution has worked by lifeforms competing ruthlessly for resources, with little foresight towards an uncertain future. As our technology and capability to exploit resources increases, maybe it is inevitable that we over consume ourselves into oblivion. Maybe in the history of the cosmos this has happened before, and will happen again, and that is just how it is.

Load Metric
    You no where you won't have to worry about left/right or liberal/conservative?

The ethno-state.

Load Metric

The left believes in science.

The left also believes in 57 different genders.

Comments

thesparten: Lol

Jayjami: Lol, too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    You no where you won't have to worry about left/right or liberal/conservative?

The ethno-state.
    I know the "ethno" state is the future and your current state can wave bye bye

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

It is very possible that extinction (of humans and even life in general) is an inevitable outcome of evolution. Life/evolution has worked by lifeforms competing ruthlessly for resources, with little foresight towards an uncertain future. As our technology and capability to exploit resources increases, maybe it is inevitable that we over consume ourselves into oblivion. Maybe in the history of the cosmos this has happened before, and will happen again, and that is just how it is.

this is childish.

if you cant find implicit meaning and value in struggling against extinction instead of accepting it as an inevitability, you're intellectually broken.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I love how libtards cry science denial and point at the right, all while screaming there are dozens of genders. Gold.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    I love how libtards cry science denial and point at the right, all while screaming there are dozens of genders. Gold.
    Which cartoon books are you reading?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    CNN, MSNBC, buzzfeed, Vox....

Comments

Tellafriend: Haha

Platinum
    Load Metric

this is childish.

if you cant find implicit meaning and value in struggling against extinction instead of accepting it as an inevitability, you're intellectually broken.
    Making up meaning/value where none exists doesn't sound very intellectual to me. Sounds like you are making an argument to have faith. I am generally ok with trying to make the world a better place for the future. But I dont have any illusion I am serving any greater good, just fulfilling the biological prerogative.

Given the inevitable mortality of Earth as a planet habitable for human life due to human activity, I actual find it absurd and crazy how little resources we collectively put into space exploration and establishing space colonies.

Load Metric

this is childish.

Making up meaning/value where none exists doesn't sound very intellectual to me. Sounds like you are making an argument to have faith. I am generally ok with trying to make the world a better place for the future. But I dont have any illusion I am serving any greater good, just fulfilling the biological prerogative.

Given the inevitable mortality of Earth as a planet habitable for human life due to human activity, I actual find it absurd and crazy how little resources we collectively put into space exploration and establishing space colonies.
    Name:  2n8qh9.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  72.2 KB

Comments

limitles: pretty funny

RS_: made me lol

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I can see bible-tards as being mentally ill, but that's not really conservatism just as cutting your own dick off isn't really liberalism

as for climate change, I believe the scientists, I'm not gonna point to some loser flat earth science that says it isn't happening and say GOTCHA, but believing that we will solve the problem by giving politician scum from multiple governments more power than they already have to skim a bunch of money off our gas/electricity consumption is bullshit. they already do that. and in this country, the EPA still allows you to pollute if you're a big mean factory you simply have to pay the government X amount of dollars to be allowed to

i do believe humans have an impact on the environment, but I think some people vastly overestimate how important we are as a species. I have said before that to a grey alien, a coke can on a beach is just as natural as a seashell. we are animals, aren't we? are you liberals a bunch of fuckin creationist retards?

I am also a fan of fast cars, fast food, electric guitars and all the other shit that we enjoy as a direct result of enterprising humans raping the environment to create great things and enrich themselves in the process

happy thanksgiving fags

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    look what environmental laws did to Gibson. the USA seized literal tons of "endangered" rosewood from a centuries old American company and Gibson had to put out guitars with dyed maple fretboards, while their cheap competition who manufacture outside the grasp of our hippie policies sold them for chump change. they filed for bankruptcy last year

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    archie's digest #420 moron.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric

But do we have to stupidly known risks of the wrong kind of resource exploitation and just shrig our shoulders u to a premature oblivion? If so, why don’t you ignore the traffic when you cross the street? ‘Cause you’re gonna die anyway, right?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh the uncreative irony ... #libtardlols

Thread Information