Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2018-19 thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Entertaining but flawed.

Kobe & Magic were drafted and played their entire careers with Lakers.

LeBron is old and a carpet bagger. His level of self absorption makes Kobe look like a sweetheart. LeBron is an awful team mate. His skill used to overcome that. Not anymore

The article hints at optimism and is loaded with nonsense That’s the flaw
    Laker fan since ‘72. The Lakers absolutely suck on defense. There could be three reasons:
    1 Coach Walton is not designing schemes to put them in a position to succeed;
    2 The players are not as talented as their opponents; or
    3 The players are not putting in the requisite effort.

IMHO, it is clearly number three. Phoenix puts up 130 on you? Embarrassing.

Comments

JoeD: Season ticket holder since 1995. I was not against hiring Walton but his coaching, in game and throughout the season, has been terrible. Your list No. 1 has contributed to No. 3

Load Metric
    In the meantime, nobody is really paying attention to the fact that Kawhi Leonard his missed 18 (!!) of 64 games with the Raptors.

Most or all of these 18 have been due to "load management", which is kinda lol given the guy is 27.

I wonder how this will affect him in free agency. This has been somewhat of a bounceback after the disaster which was 2017-18 (he played 9 games total), but I'd be nervous about signing a guy like Kawhi given his weird handling of last season and the fact that they're already keeping him out of 30% of the games in Toronto in what's supposed to be one of his prime years.

Supposedly Toronto is just so tired of choking in the playoffs that they want him super fresh in April.
    Yeah, I don’t know if this is because his supposed ossification issue is real or they’re being overly careful. Unless his condition is so degenerative that it’s goikg to fall off a cliff in two years, I don’t imagine it matters. When he’s playing, he’s too good not to max.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

Entertaining but flawed.

Kobe & Magic were drafted and played their entire careers with Lakers.

LeBron is old and a carpet bagger. His level of self absorption makes Kobe look like a sweetheart. LeBron is an awful team mate. His skill used to overcome that. Not anymore

The article hints at optimism and is loaded with nonsense That’s the flaw
    Laker fan since ‘72. The Lakers absolutely suck on defense. There could be three reasons:
    1 Coach Walton is not designing schemes to put them in a position to succeed;
    2 The players are not as talented as their opponents; or
    3 The players are not putting in the requisite effort.

IMHO, it is clearly number three. Phoenix puts up 130 on you? Embarrassing.

I don't watch the NBA but lol ...

Comments

Sanlmar: These kids nowadays have no interest in shouldering the blame for old men.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    In the meantime, nobody is really paying attention to the fact that Kawhi Leonard his missed 18 (!!) of 64 games with the Raptors.

Most or all of these 18 have been due to "load management", which is kinda lol given the guy is 27.

I wonder how this will affect him in free agency. This has been somewhat of a bounceback after the disaster which was 2017-18 (he played 9 games total), but I'd be nervous about signing a guy like Kawhi given his weird handling of last season and the fact that they're already keeping him out of 30% of the games in Toronto in what's supposed to be one of his prime years.

Supposedly Toronto is just so tired of choking in the playoffs that they want him super fresh in April.
    Yeah, I don’t know if this is because his supposed ossification issue is real or they’re being overly careful. Unless his condition is so degenerative that it’s goikg to fall off a cliff in two years, I don’t imagine it matters. When he’s playing, he’s too good not to max.
    guessing theyre trying not to push him to the max in the regular season because they want to show care with him since his big payday is coming up...basically trying to kiss his ass to try to get him to re-sign back in TOR...they gotta do everything they can...gonna be a tough pill to swallow to see him walk at the end of the year knowing you spunked DeRozan for him...they weren't gonna win a title with DeRozan, but it's still tough to ditch a top 25ish player for a one year rental if it doesn't lead to jewelry..

Load Metric
    The bottom line is the Clippers are better than the Lakers

Jerry West is smarter than Magic

Lakers are fucked for years

Load Metric
    The bottom line is the Clippers are better than the Lakers

Lakers are fucked for years

I spent 5k words drunk at 4Am and it’s really this simple. That’s one sharp 80 year old. If he’s around, your organization is making smart moves. He’s worth more than a max player.

Load Metric
    In fairness, anyone is a better evaluator of talent than maginka

You guys remember when magic raved about jahlil okafor?

Load Metric
    My journey toward discovery of all things fail in LA, of course, is rooted in the old Celtics Lakers rivalry.

Generations of combat. LA was a worthy opponent then. There was fear and respect. You sat on the edge of your seat.

That hasn’t existed for years. The difference is stark. In all sports. It’s not that Boston is better. I love kicking my home team. I certainly am not a homer.

What I object to is the unmitigated optimism. It’s so west coast and faggot. You’re gonna be able to clock the first Bryce Harper hate editorials in the Philly press with a stop watch in contrast. East coast.

Druff talking about playoffs last week. Playoff mode? You believe that shit? West coast.

Meanwhile, Boston is murdering Kyrie. Doom and gloom. Kyrie is out last night? The Boston press is cheering. “We do better without him. Fuck that guy. Send him back to LeBron.”

Is it the meth that makes LA so happy in spite of reality? Or is it the LA reality that is responsible for the meth epidemic?

So yeah. I’m enjoying every damn moment and every article. The tears and the innocent surprise.

So Kobe Bryant’s Muse got sucked up into my vacuum. Honestly never knew it existed.

Kobe was LA to me. He certainly was polarizing. He had a selfish air about him. Hated him. He was one of the first NBA superstars that were openly self involved. That was my perception.

Yet I knew Kobe was smart. Despite the lack of college he struck me as educated and introspective. The Muse provided insight into his constant moving as a black child in Italy while his father played in Italy. Kobe was like the military child who was always the new kid at school. Basketball was an escape to something familiar in strange situations.

Later as a young teen it was a way to channel anger and aggression. Now he’s a strange kid back in the States during high school. That was key insight into his style. The style I previously hated but now I get it.

The documentary is self produced and sanitized and a lot of the juicy shit was edited out but he shared some insight and he was thoughtful. He talked about what he could.

LeBron is intellectually unable to do something similar. He hasn’t a fucking clue how he is perceived.

So Kobe talked about losing to the Celtics in 2007-2008 Finals. He said the Celtics were just nastier. They punched the Lakers in the mouth and it pissed him off. There were no fucking 2019 hugs post game between opposing players. The documentary showed clips of the ridiculous assaults that were committed in the paint. There was a player in a headband in the melee. Rondo.

Lakers head coach Phil Jackson called Rondo the "star" of Game 6 of that Finals series

Ahh, yes. Rondo.

So Kobe decided he wasn’t gonna live his life like Jerry West. Jerry West was unable to travel to Boston during the Bird/Magic years. The losing to Auerbach had been too painful. True story.

Ahh, yes. The Clippers’ Jerry West.

Kobe went back and kicked the Celtics ass in 2009-2010 Finals. (Rondo played great again.)

That I stumbled onto Kobe’s Muse and then turned on the final minutes of Lakers was an amazing coincidence and juxtaposition. Kobe included clips of 2008 Finals war with Rondo. Then we see that faggot LeBron crying tears of joy - while the Lakers are getting curb stomped.

He said that passing MJ was like winning a ring. What a faggot. Rondo knew real basketball. Rondo knew Kobe. This was completely unacceptable and a personal embarrassment. Rondo’s a deep guy with a lot of pride. Rondo sat with the fans away from the Lakers faggotry.

My boy.

History so interesting sometimes.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Load Metric
    He is basically a basketball genius. On top of his playing career, West helped to build the 80s Lakers, brought Shaq and Phil Jackson to LA, turned the Grizz into a playoff team, and was the basketball mind behind the current Warriors.

I personally enjoy seeing the Lakers struggle so much.
    Name:  eaQvGdK.gif
Views: 206
Size:  617.1 KB

Load Metric
    My journey toward discovery of all things fail in LA, of course, is rooted in the old Celtics Lakers rivalry.

Generations of combat. LA was a worthy opponent then. There was fear and respect. You sat on the edge of your seat.

That hasn’t existed for years. The difference is stark. In all sports. It’s not that Boston is better. I love kicking my home team. I certainly am not a homer.

What I object to is the unmitigated optimism. It’s so west coast and faggot. You’re gonna be able to clock the first Bryce Harper hate editorials in the Philly press with a stop watch in contrast. East coast.

Druff talking about playoffs last week. Playoff mode? You believe that shit? West coast.

Meanwhile, Boston is murdering Kyrie. Doom and gloom. Kyrie is out last night? The Boston press is cheering. “We do better without him. Fuck that guy. Send him back to LeBron.”

Is it the meth that makes LA so happy in spite of reality? Or is it the LA reality that is responsible for the meth epidemic?

So yeah. I’m enjoying every damn moment and every article. The tears and the innocent surprise.

So Kobe Bryant’s Muse got sucked up into my vacuum. Honestly never knew it existed.

Kobe was LA to me. He certainly was polarizing. He had a selfish air about him. Hated him. He was one of the first NBA superstars that were openly self involved. That was my perception.

Yet I knew Kobe was smart. Despite the lack of college he struck me as educated and introspective. The Muse provided insight into his constant moving as a black child in Italy while his father played in Italy. Kobe was like the military child who was always the new kid at school. Basketball was an escape to something familiar in strange situations.

Later as a young teen it was a way to channel anger and aggression. Now he’s a strange kid back in the States during high school. That was key insight into his style. The style I previously hated but now I get it.

The documentary is self produced and sanitized and a lot of the juicy shit was edited out but he shared some insight and he was thoughtful. He talked about what he could.

LeBron is intellectually unable to do something similar. He hasn’t a fucking clue how he is perceived.

So Kobe talked about losing to the Celtics in 2007-2008 Finals. He said the Celtics were just nastier. They punched the Lakers in the mouth and it pissed him off. There were no fucking 2019 hugs post game between opposing players. The documentary showed clips of the ridiculous assaults that were committed in the paint. There was a player in a headband in the melee. Rondo.

Lakers head coach Phil Jackson called Rondo the "star" of Game 6 of that Finals series

Ahh, yes. Rondo.

So Kobe decided he wasn’t gonna live his life like Jerry West. Jerry West was unable to travel to Boston during the Bird/Magic years. The losing to Auerbach had been too painful. True story.

Ahh, yes. The Clippers’ Jerry West.

Kobe went back and kicked the Celtics ass in 2009-2010 Finals. (Rondo played great again.)

That I stumbled onto Kobe’s Muse and then turned on the final minutes of Lakers was an amazing coincidence and juxtaposition. Kobe included clips of 2008 Finals war with Rondo. Then we see that faggot LeBron crying tears of joy - while the Lakers are getting curb stomped.

He said that passing MJ was like winning a ring. What a faggot. Rondo knew real basketball. Rondo knew Kobe. This was completely unacceptable and a personal embarrassment. Rondo’s a deep guy with a lot of pride. Rondo sat with the fans away from the Lakers faggotry.

My boy.

History so interesting sometimes.

I wrote a long post on the old NWP site about how disappointed in Lebron I was the first time he left in 2010, and just on his personality in general, and it started me down a rabbit hole of researching how may true killers in sports had a father around. I think the urban myth is some inner city kid without a dad=harder kid. Sometimes it’s true in they appear harder, but it’s usually smoke and mirrors hiding insecurity.

An inordinate amount of the mentally toughest athletes had a dad, even in communities where 75% of kids are raised by single mothers. Then I looked at the exceptions that didn’t have a dad and they usually had older brothers or someone. It’s fucking rare as hell to find a mentally strong all timer without a father. Lebron is uniquely strange in that he was born to a 15 year old crackhead, who from all appearances is still kind of whack, and then because of his gifts became almost like a spoiled kid catered to by AAU coaches and hanger ons. I’m always interested in what makes a person tick. The Catholic schools and coaches taught him a civility that has allowed him to rarely say the wrong thing or get his hand caught in the cookie jar from some aberrant type behavior, but he’s mentally soft. He’s always played such beautiful unselfish basketball while clearly being an insecure selfish person. Strange dichotomy. Hate the passive aggressive shit. Hated the trend he started with valuing the playing with buddies thing. Not surprised Durant has followed suit. Another thin-skinned kid raised by single mother. Nothing sadder than seeing someone with his ability making dupe twitter accounts to argue with detractors. You can’t underrate dads. There is just something there that helps boys become mentally tough. There are exceptions, but not many. Lebron is a better basketball player than any of the guys you mentioned. He’s always annoyed me also. You want him to be a killer given he’s the best athlete I’ve ever seen, but it is what it is.

Comments

Sanlmar: Made me think.

Load Metric
    Wasn’t aware of the Catholic finishing school influence on LeBron. I can see it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Watched Damian Lillard again tonight in POR/OKC, where I had the OKC moneyline.

Lillard is one of the more underrated players in the NBA. The guy has incredible talent and has been carrying that Blazers team for so long, keeping them from sucking balls.

The problem is that the team around him is never quite good enough, and Lillard's own star quality gets lost when compared to Harden, Lebron, Durant, Curry, Giannis, etc.

I watched him completely own Westbrook during a crunch time play.

Whenever I watch this guy, I'm really impressed. I don't know if he could be much of a team player on a championship squad like Golden State, but rarely do I watch Lillard and not come away thinking he's really, really good.

Not that it matters, but there are also persistent rumors that he's gay and in the closet. The NBA is still one of those places where being gay is generally not accepted well. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out when his career was over.

In any case, he will probably rot away his peak years with yet another good-but-not-great Portland team, and never get that ring. Or if he does, he will get it as a 36-year-old role player on some superteam.

When I'm betting against his team, or when I have the under, I hate seeing him with the ball late in games.

Load Metric
    but seriously how hilarious is is that lakers fans were chanting "we want kobe"?

Platinum
    Load Metric

Lillard is one of the more underrated players in the NBA. The guy has incredible talent and has been carrying that Blazers team for so long, keeping them from sucking balls.

The problem is that the team around him is never quite good enough, and Lillard's own star quality gets lost when compared to Harden, Lebron, Durant, Curry, Giannis, etc.

Whenever I watch this guy, I'm really impressed. I don't know if he could be much of a team player on a championship squad like Golden State, but rarely do I watch Lillard and not come away thinking he's really, really good.

Not that it matters, but there are also persistent rumors that he's gay and in the closet. The NBA is still one of those places where being gay is generally not accepted well. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out when his career was over.

In any case, he will probably rot away his peak years with yet another good-but-not-great Portland team, and never get that ring. Or if he does, he will get it as a 36-year-old role player on some superteam.

When I'm betting against his team, or when I have the under, I hate seeing him with the ball late in games.
    Good post. Agree on Lillard. Also, he is a closer. He doesn’t put up his stats in meaningless Spots when his team is way ahead or behind. His big games are close games where he takes over at the end. As someone who plays daily fantasy, you want to play Lillard when he is playing the Warriors or rockets or OKC. That should matter IMO.

Load Metric

San, here’s another example. Lillard is a really mentally strong player. I saw him hit a dagger his rookie year or second season and I don’t think his pulse was above 37. I thought, this kid is a stone cold killer. He doesn’t seem heavily influenced by the vets. Just does his thing and plays.

When looking at draft stock and such, I’m looking at shit like this. Like I said, considering 80% don’t have an active father. When I go through the top 30-50 guys, they’re all amazingly physically gifted, but when you filter this guy lives on simply his physical gifts, and this guy had that and the intangibles, inordinate amount had fathers in the picture. i hate Lebron’s passive aggressiveness, but I try to put it into context. That last paragraph of below article is where I think it lies. Moms usually are all about love. Dads need to keep it real. When I see a kid who handles his business and I like the cut of his gib, I do a little research, and more often than not, there is a dad around. Armchair sports psychologist rant/

“Oakland,Calif., is one the most crime-ridden cities in the United States. A247 Wall St. review of the 2011 FBI crime data showed that in thelast two years, Oakland has had the ninth-highest murder rate inAmerica.

Drugs,gangs and prostitution have infested parts of the city over the years, creating a negative and sometimes unbearable livingcondition for the youth.

In that type of environment, it's probably more important for a young man to grow up having apositive father or father-figure around to steer them away from allthe damaging influences of the street culture.

Andthat's exactly what Houston Lillard Sr. did for his son, PortlandTrail Blazers point guard Damian Lillard.

Ah,there's too much (negative influences in Oakland), Damian said. I can go on and on, man. There's gangs, drugs, there'sa lot of stuff that goes on that he knows a lot about because he grewup in Oakland and he had family and friends living that lifestyle,he knew that game. So him passing that understanding on to me, I kneweverything that was going on and I knew I didn't want to be a part ofit."

Damiansaid for as long as he can remember, his dad has always been his bestfriend. According to Damian, he's always showed his support by goingto his basketball games, helping him with his studies, or just simplytalking about life and when life was the subject, Damian says his dadnever held back any punches.

He'sa quiet dude, but he keeps it 100 all the time, Damian said. He'san honest dude. He tells you what you need to hear, not what you wantto hear. He's like that all the time. Him being tough like that,that's how he made me and my brother.”
    Last edited by BCR; 03-08-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Load Metric
    i feel like we're not mocking lebron and the lakers enough itt

Load Metric
    the lakers over philly. great move lebron.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    the lakers over philly. great move lebron.

yeah, especially since "Hollywood opportunities have nothing to do with it" - lescam james

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Name:  weber.PNG
Views: 154
Size:  110.5 KB

this is another part of the lillard story that's nuts...not too many top guys come from programs like this...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    i feel like we're not mocking lebron and the lakers enough itt
    You kidding? I am thinking of quitting my job and devoting myself full time to that cause.

It’ll be interesting how they fold this up

The situation could get real toxic unless they sit some people. Lots of people. Providing plausible explanation for the next 18 losses.
    The question I posed was answered today. They would have lost 17 more anyway with or without LeBron but here’s the excuse we were waiting for.

Report: The Lakers Are Giving Up

... there was a conversation had between LeBron James’s trainer and the front office, and they came to the conclusion that moving forward, LeBron James will play a minute restriction of 28 to 32 minutes, and possibly on back-to-backs, depending on how LeBron James feels, that he might sit out one of those (games). There’s 17 games left in the season. There’s three back-to-backs remaining.
    I generally regard the NBA slightly ahead of wrestling as a serious sport. The recent story that Donaghy wasn’t the only referee fixing games and that the Commissioner leaked to the public that the FBI was putting together an investigation on the rest of the referees was perfect but a surprise to no one.

When I heard the patter that Adam Silver was being discussed as a replacement for Roger Goodell I groaned. The NBA is a complete disgrace.

But then I saw this from the MIT Sloan Analytics Conference w/ Bill Simmons

I was stunned how candid Silver was. He discussed at great length the human element of being an NBA player in 2019. He clearly admits and describes the problems in the league. Zero obfuscation. I left with a 180 degree switch in my regard for Silver and now understand why they want him in the NFL.

Silver talked about how lonely and isolated players are today with social media and the process that starts in AAU. Pure gold.

Silver directly addresses Anthony Davis and the Pelicans fiasco.

I was so stunned by this firehose of honesty that I prolly missed some stuff. Collusion. No topic was too toxic. He knows we see the truth. But for a public figure to be so honest shook my understanding of humanity.

I will re-listen soon.

BCR, I personally guarantee this for you. Rated 10/10

Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-08-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Thread Information