Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2018-19 thread

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    the lakers over philly. great move lebron.
    7-11 >>> WaWa’s.

Deal with it.

Load Metric
    So the FBI had some free time and recently bagged the LSU basketball coach, Will Wade, on a “pay for play” negotiation.

Like how the fuck do you think the NCAA works? You can nail anyone in any sport.

It’ll all be over soon for NCAABM

Was relistening the above Silver SSAC2019 post. Silver talks about D League and NBA content.

Hand to forehead moment. Of course, D league is original, salable content.. NCAA is gonna lose its grasp on that last year -

the “one and done” is done

The NCAA had its chance and snoozed. Greed

Enjoy your last fucking March Madness

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Shaquille O’Neal wants Jerry West to take over Lakers after Magic Johnson quits

Just like any LA sports fan, the most delusional in sports

Jeannie Buss vs Steve Ballmer. Right. At this point in West’s life there is zero.zero chance he would spend more than 3 seconds considering this.

If Durant or anyone else was beating down Magic’s door to get on the LeBron train Magic would have stayed. Lakers are so dysfunctional (b/c of LeBron) that Jimmy Butler is prolly the guy.

As an aside, MSFT stock is killing it and Gates and by extension Ballmer are swimming in filthy moolah.

That tramp Jeannie should sell.

Load Metric
    Bet hard on the Utah Jazz to win the NBA Finals.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Shaquille O’Neal wants Jerry West to take over Lakers after Magic Johnson quits

Just like any LA sports fan, the most delusional in sports

Jeannie Buss vs Steve Ballmer. Right. At this point in West’s life there is zero.zero chance he would spend more than 3 seconds considering this.

If Durant or anyone else was beating down Magic’s door to get on the LeBron train Magic would have stayed. Lakers are so dysfunctional (b/c of LeBron) that Jimmy Butler is prolly the guy.

As an aside, MSFT stock is killing it and Gates and by extension Ballmer are swimming in filthy moolah.

That tramp Jeannie should sell.

Agree, except his son is on the Lakers staff, right? Give him that PBO job and maybe Jerry becomes a consultant? Better yet, fire Pelinka and give his son GM job. I would if I was the tramp. I’d hate to leave that clippers gig though when they are set up in a big way.

Load Metric
    Jerry West Jr is a scout. Good trivia. However, that’s like being an intern.

Jerry West is 80. Even Druff will not live to see a Laker championship.

West is in the midst of a great project. Owner Ballmer was rough at first but has been a quick study. That isn’t surprising. Ownership matters.

The Clippers will be West’s final achievement. The greatest lifetime achievement in the NBA. Larry Bird was pretty good as an exec but not in the same zip code as West. You also have Ainge.

West will always have pull in the NBA to help out his kid.

You seem like a thoughtful fellow BCR. Your inference regarding Lakers concerns me.

Load Metric
    true story, jeanie buss is legit poor by nba standards. she reportedly has no other business interests outside of the lakers which is quite unlike all other actual wealthy owners like ballmer, josh harris, etc.

she doesn’t even own that much of the lakers. i think she and her 5 siblings inherited the trust that owns a controlling interest (66%) of the lakers. each sibling received an equal percentage of the trust.

word is that she might not even be willing to fire pelinka or walton for money reasons.

sanlmar is correct and the buss family needs to sell that team ASAP

of course as a lakers hater, i hope they keep it

Comments

Sanlmar: Is it hate or realism? Does it matter?

Load Metric
    Looking at this prop offered during the All Star break before the rest of the world discovered the truth makes me so happy

Lakers fans will look back at the All Star break years from now as the last time they felt optimism.

TABLET - NBA REGULAR SEASON - BATTLE OF L.A. - TEAM TO FINISH HIGHER IN THE STANDINGS - LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS -145
    CONTEST NOTES:

Hope we get paid tonight.

Comments

Prodigal son: Nice call

Load Metric
    In all honesty the Lakers haven’t been the same since Chick Hearn passed.

Load Metric
    You kidding? I am thinking of quitting my job and devoting myself full time to that cause.

It’ll be interesting how they fold this up

The situation could get real toxic unless they sit some people. Lots of people. Providing plausible explanation for the next 18 losses.
    The question I posed was answered today. They would have lost 17 more anyway with or without LeBron but here’s the excuse we were waiting for.

Report: The Lakers Are Giving Up

... there was a conversation had between LeBron James’s trainer and the front office, and they came to the conclusion that moving forward, LeBron James will play a minute restriction of 28 to 32 minutes, and possibly on back-to-backs, depending on how LeBron James feels, that he might sit out one of those (games). There’s 17 games left in the season. There’s three back-to-backs remaining.
    I generally regard the NBA slightly ahead of wrestling as a serious sport. The recent story that Donaghy wasn’t the only referee fixing games and that the Commissioner leaked to the public that the FBI was putting together an investigation on the rest of the referees was perfect but a surprise to no one.

When I heard the patter that Adam Silver was being discussed as a replacement for Roger Goodell I groaned. The NBA is a complete disgrace.

But then I saw this from the MIT Sloan Analytics Conference w/ Bill Simmons

I was stunned how candid Silver was. He discussed at great length the human element of being an NBA player in 2019. He clearly admits and describes the problems in the league. Zero obfuscation. I left with a 180 degree switch in my regard for Silver and now understand why they want him in the NFL.

Silver talked about how lonely and isolated players are today with social media and the process that starts in AAU. Pure gold.

Silver directly addresses Anthony Davis and the Pelicans fiasco.

I was so stunned by this firehose of honesty that I prolly missed some stuff. Collusion. No topic was too toxic. He knows we see the truth. But for a public figure to be so honest shook my understanding of humanity.

I will re-listen soon.

BCR, I personally guarantee this for you. Rated 10/10

I was going back through thread to find the Lillard posts after that fucking amazing game last night and saw your post that I had missed. I had already caught this also and found it amazing. I rarely miss anything Simmons. I don’t always agree with him, but I always love his shows and he’s like almost exactly my same age, we’re a month apart, and he talks culture so much also and between sports and culture I always feel like I’m listening to a friend who saw everything through the exact same lens as I did given how close in age we are. So I stumbled upon this the same way you did.

Who is the Blazers fan here? I know we have one. I was thinking gut, but I think he’s a twins fan, so maybe not him. That game by Lillard was just amazing and perfect after Westbrook chucking and talking shit all series and Lillard just staying cool and then taking them out. It’s rare I’ve enjoyed a game that doesn’t involve my own team that much.

Comments

gut: total recall rep

Prodigal son:

Load Metric
    That Simmons Silver interview is one to be watched and rewatched.

You recognize Simmons is a Catholic Boston guy to the core, right, BCR? Holy Cross College in Wuhsta.

Simmons is suitably cynical about Boston sports. I respect that he maintained that sensibility from his youth.

Simmons is steadily earning more time in my rotation. I actually started as a Rewatchables fan.

It just occurred to me... wonder if Bill Burr every did a piece with Simmons. Too much Boston attitude? Is that possible?

BCR, while not a Lakers fan per se, you are the sentimental LeBron quasi-apologist. You forgive his flaws and think he has value. I was recently thinking the Luke Walton rape accusation really ought to mark bottom for the ridiculous Lakers fiasco.

Truthfully, we both know it’s gonna get much worse. The surprise that comes with “how” will be the best part.

Comments

Prodigal son: Liked
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-24-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Load Metric
    That Simmons Silver interview is one to be watched and rewatched.

You recognize Simmons is a Catholic Boston guy to the core, right, BCR? Holy Cross College in Wuhsta.

Simmons is suitably cynical about Boston sports. I respect that he maintained that sensibility from his youth.

Simmons is steadily earning more time in my rotation. I actually started as a Rewatchables fan.

It just occurred to me... wonder if Bill Burr every did a piece with Simmons. Too much Boston attitude? Is that possible?

BCR, while not a Lakers fan per se, you are the sentimental LeBron quasi-apologist. You forgive his flaws and think he has value. I was recently thinking the Luke Walton rape accusation really ought to mark bottom for the ridiculous Lakers fiasco.

Truthfully, we both know it’s gonna get much worse. The surprise that comes with “how” will be the best part.

Yeah, I sound almost more familiar with Simmons than you if he is just steadily getting into your rotation. He’s been in mine for years and he has a lot of college buddies on the show who reminisce about their college years. He’s strange. A cynical homer who gives Celtics or Boston guys more rope than the national media but comes to the right opinion far faster than a typical homer. I love his NBA content. I really like this new Rusillo and Simmons weekly segment, and that’s double Boston, but I think the show really works. Simmons has great recall. As someone with really good recall, I’m hard to impress, but he will constantly pull something out and know the year,month, and just bring back good memories for me. Like all east coast sports fans, the only weakness for me is the show is pro centric and he’s completely unknowledgeable about CFB, which is my favorite sport, but no show is perfect.

You’d have to have been around when Lebron left the first time for Miami. My vitriol was off the charts. I watched and listened to every Miami lebatard podcast upon each loss, and when they lost that first finals, I don’t know if any victory from my own team ever brought me as much joy as that loss. The following year when the Thunder gave up that first ring I told Stamos, an OKC fan in this community, I’ll hate Durant and Westbrook for all eternity and his Thunder were dead to me forever, and that attitude still persists to this day as you’ll see my joy at Westbrook losing in the post I made earlier and my comments earlier this year in this thread about my hate for Durant. So like quasi-apologist maybe now, but in the same sense I can’t just stay angry at Trump all day 24/7 for 4 years, it’s tiresome to stay angry since 2010 over Lebron. . I knew who Lebron was at 20. Fantastically talented, yet the local kid who was a cowboys, duke, and Yankees fan. I knew he was a follower. Still think he’s the greatest talent I’ve ever saw play.

I hated that Miami move because I hate Pat Riley. That whole godfather schtick. Dude has coached/GM in La, NY, and Miami, and I’m supposed to be impressed he has occasionally amassed talent. Take your talents to Indiana and I’ll be impressed. Seeing him get all that credit for assembling a team that they formed amongst themselves irritated the fuck out of me. His final act after Lebron leaving him with his dick in his hand and heading out to pasture after a succession of treadmill heat teams is very gratifying. Him leaving the Heat holding the bag almost made up for leaving this second time for me. Fuck, he was on his last legs at this point. Don’t like it, but nothing approaching that prime Lebron leaving. I lived to hate him every day for 4 years straight.

Burr has been on multiple times that I can recall.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I was going back through thread to find the Lillard posts after that fucking amazing game last night and saw your post that I had missed. I had already caught this also and found it amazing. I rarely miss anything Simmons. I don’t always agree with him, but I always love his shows and he’s like almost exactly my same age, we’re a month apart, and he talks culture so much also and between sports and culture I always feel like I’m listening to a friend who saw everything through the exact same lens as I did given how close in age we are. So I stumbled upon this the same way you did.

Who is the Blazers fan here? I know we have one. I was thinking gut, but I think he’s a twins fan, so maybe not him. That game by Lillard was just amazing and perfect after Westbrook chucking and talking shit all series and Lillard just staying cool and then taking them out. It’s rare I’ve enjoyed a game that doesn’t involve my own team that much.
    Yeah it is me. Original Minnesotan, but been in Portland for a long time now. I think there was someone else also here as a fan (Corrigan? Sloppy Joe?)

That shot by Lillard was such a dagger. He knew what he was going to do the whole time. It wasn't quite as clutch as vs the Rockets in 2014, but this one will be remembered more.

I was pessimistic about this team once Nurkic went down, and assumed OKC would win the series before it started. Sour taste from last season. Never been a big fan of the Dame-CJ 1-2 combo as your 2 best guys. But Dame really keeps inching his game up higher and higher every year. CJ is content as a second banana. Kanter is like...trying to play D at least.

I'm sure this all means they might win 1 at home vs GSW in the WCF....IF they make it past Den or SA. But they are a fun ragtag bunch of dudes to watch.
    Last edited by gut; 04-24-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good news for Portland is that everyone in the west is dysfunctional right now.

Look what the Clippers did to Golden State with that insane comeback, and now they win game 5 in Oakland down 3-1. And this is the fucking Clippers -- not a team expected to really contend.

In the meantime, Houston has been inconsistent shit. Even tonight's victory was a struggle. It's been awhile since I've seen a team up 3-0 in the first round struggle so badly to close it out.

Denver was actually a dog to the Spurs at one point this series.

So yeah, if Porltand plays well, they can shock everyone and win the West.

Will they get past the Bucks? That might be a different story.

A futures bet on the Blazers to win the West might not be a bad idea right now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Posted on March 8:

Watched Damian Lillard again tonight in POR/OKC, where I had the OKC moneyline.

Lillard is one of the more underrated players in the NBA. The guy has incredible talent and has been carrying that Blazers team for so long, keeping them from sucking balls.

The problem is that the team around him is never quite good enough, and Lillard's own star quality gets lost when compared to Harden, Lebron, Durant, Curry, Giannis, etc.

I watched him completely own Westbrook during a crunch time play.

Whenever I watch this guy, I'm really impressed. I don't know if he could be much of a team player on a championship squad like Golden State, but rarely do I watch Lillard and not come away thinking he's really, really good.

Not that it matters, but there are also persistent rumors that he's gay and in the closet. The NBA is still one of those places where being gay is generally not accepted well. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out when his career was over.

In any case, he will probably rot away his peak years with yet another good-but-not-great Portland team, and never get that ring. Or if he does, he will get it as a 36-year-old role player on some superteam.

When I'm betting against his team, or when I have the under, I hate seeing him with the ball late in games.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Posted on March 8:

Watched Damian Lillard again tonight in POR/OKC, where I had the OKC moneyline.

Lillard is one of the more underrated players in the NBA. The guy has incredible talent and has been carrying that Blazers team for so long, keeping them from sucking balls.

The problem is that the team around him is never quite good enough, and Lillard's own star quality gets lost when compared to Harden, Lebron, Durant, Curry, Giannis, etc.

I watched him completely own Westbrook during a crunch time play.

Whenever I watch this guy, I'm really impressed. I don't know if he could be much of a team player on a championship squad like Golden State, but rarely do I watch Lillard and not come away thinking he's really, really good.

Not that it matters, but there are also persistent rumors that he's gay and in the closet. The NBA is still one of those places where being gay is generally not accepted well. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out when his career was over.

In any case, he will probably rot away his peak years with yet another good-but-not-great Portland team, and never get that ring. Or if he does, he will get it as a 36-year-old role player on some superteam.

When I'm betting against his team, or when I have the under, I hate seeing him with the ball late in games.

ha, i remember reading that when you posted it, can't remember if I replied or not, don't think I did. I've never heard the gay rumors, and the last couple years it became a big thing of him showing off his first kid all the time. Maybe thats part of where that came from? I dunno, but i spend waaaaay too much time reading sports things and I had never heard that before.

Dwight Howard on the other hand....

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Good news for Portland is that everyone in the west is dysfunctional right now.

Look what the Clippers did to Golden State with that insane comeback, and now they win game 5 in Oakland down 3-1. And this is the fucking Clippers -- not a team expected to really contend.

In the meantime, Houston has been inconsistent shit. Even tonight's victory was a struggle. It's been awhile since I've seen a team up 3-0 in the first round struggle so badly to close it out.

Denver was actually a dog to the Spurs at one point this series.

So yeah, if Porltand plays well, they can shock everyone and win the West.

Will they get past the Bucks? That might be a different story.

A futures bet on the Blazers to win the West might not be a bad idea right now.

As much as I’d love Portland to get there, I’d be absolutely shocked if the Rockets or GS don’t win it all. I think Houston may get GS. The Jazz get you out of your game better than anyone in the league, and they still made fairly easy work out of a tough opponent.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Portland needs HOU to beat warriors then paul or harden to get hurt to have a shot. not that far fetched. wish I woulda figured that out pre playoffs, they were probably 100/1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    You kidding? I am thinking of quitting my job and devoting myself full time to that cause.

The question I posed was answered today. They would have lost 17 more anyway with or without LeBron but here’s the excuse we were waiting for.

Report: The Lakers Are Giving Up

... there was a conversation had between LeBron James’s trainer and the front office, and they came to the conclusion that moving forward, LeBron James will play a minute restriction of 28 to 32 minutes, and possibly on back-to-backs, depending on how LeBron James feels, that he might sit out one of those (games). There’s 17 games left in the season. There’s three back-to-backs remaining.
    I generally regard the NBA slightly ahead of wrestling as a serious sport. The recent story that Donaghy wasn’t the only referee fixing games and that the Commissioner leaked to the public that the FBI was putting together an investigation on the rest of the referees was perfect but a surprise to no one.

When I heard the patter that Adam Silver was being discussed as a replacement for Roger Goodell I groaned. The NBA is a complete disgrace.

But then I saw this from the MIT Sloan Analytics Conference w/ Bill Simmons

I was stunned how candid Silver was. He discussed at great length the human element of being an NBA player in 2019. He clearly admits and describes the problems in the league. Zero obfuscation. I left with a 180 degree switch in my regard for Silver and now understand why they want him in the NFL.

Silver talked about how lonely and isolated players are today with social media and the process that starts in AAU. Pure gold.

Silver directly addresses Anthony Davis and the Pelicans fiasco.

I was so stunned by this firehose of honesty that I prolly missed some stuff. Collusion. No topic was too toxic. He knows we see the truth. But for a public figure to be so honest shook my understanding of humanity.

I will re-listen soon.

BCR, I personally guarantee this for you. Rated 10/10

Probably not thinking of me, but I was there for game 1 and game 5.

Easily the best sports moment I've ever witnessed live. I went to the two regular season games against OKC (two hard fought losses) which made it especially sweet.

Round two will be tougher with no Nurkic and a hobbled Kanter.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Thread Information