Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2018-19 thread

Load Metric
    West is so stacked this year its insane. Phoenix the only easy win in the conference. I have no idea how you can pick the 8 playoff teams from there. Warriors probably the only lock in, and phoenix lock out. Everybody else will depend on injury luck/trades/buyout market.

Comments

BCR: And Phoenix has talent. They just don’t know how to win yet.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    rumor has it fultz is on the block...gonna be very interested to see what kinda offers they get...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    rumor has it fultz is on the block...gonna be very interested to see what kinda offers they get...

As a big time 76er fan . I would say any offer would be a good offer

Load Metric
    Jimmy Buckets scores the winning basket for the 76ers tonight . Clawed back from 20 points down in the 4th to snap off the Nets

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gookieheimowitz View Post
    Jimmy Buckets scores the winning basket for the 76ers tonight . Clawed back from 20 points down in the 4th to snap off the Nets

Why has their defense been so poor this year? Feels like every time I look at the scores they are trying to squeak out some close one after being quite good at defense last year. Their big 3 are all really good defenders, yet they are playing games in the 120s against mediocre teams? Just wondering what I’m missing. I could understand Butler taking awhile to gel, but it feels like they’ve been doing this all year and I see their opponents ppg are the highest of all playoff teams in the east. Just weird as they seemed to play defense at a really high level the last half of the season last year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Why has their defense been so poor this year? Feels like every time I look at the scores they are trying to squeak out some close one after being quite good at defense last year. Their big 3 are all really good defenders, yet they are playing games in the 120s against mediocre teams? Just wondering what I’m missing. I could understand Butler taking awhile to gel, but it feels like they’ve been doing this all year and I see their opponents ppg are the highest of all playoff teams in the east. Just weird as they seemed to play defense at a really high level the last half of the season last year.

They are missing Covington for sure on the defensive end. I think there is a couple factors . They are running out more this year and are not particularly great at getting back on defense. They are turning the ball over at an alarming rate.

The loss to the Cavs at home was due to Reddick being on the bench most of the game in foul trouble. They are still a very young team. Embiid is awesome and Simmons needs to play more consistently. Shamet is becoming a decent two way player as he learns the pro game . Reddick and Butler need to be on the floor more and teach. They are a piece or two away but still fun to watch.

Load Metric

They are missing Covington for sure on the defensive end. I think there is a couple factors . They are running out more this year and are not particularly great at getting back on defense. They are turning the ball over at an alarming rate.

The loss to the Cavs at home was due to Reddick being on the bench most of the game in foul trouble. They are still a very young team. Embiid is awesome and Simmons needs to play more consistently. Shamet is becoming a decent two way player as he learns the pro game . Reddick and Butler need to be on the floor more and teach. They are a piece or two away but still fun to watch.
    Yeah they need a little more shooting. Had the Cavs not drafted a PG who is playijg well, they probably would have already shipped Korver plus something for Fultz and rolled the dice. Still, I expect them to be right there at end of year. I love their main 3 once they gel. It’s a shame Simmons is such a poor shooter from beyond 3 feet. If that kid was just an average shooter they’d be the favorites.

Load Metric

Yeah they need a little more shooting. Had the Cavs not drafted a PG who is playijg well, they probably would have already shipped Korver plus something for Fultz and rolled the dice. Still, I expect them to be right there at end of year. I love their main 3 once they gel. It’s a shame Simmons is such a poor shooter from beyond 3 feet. If that kid was just an average shooter they’d be the favorites.

He was really off tonight. Missing dunks and a couple layups and an easy put back . I'm not buying into the Kendall Jenner curse just yet but he truly had a poor game tonight.

They should finish no worse than 4th in the East. Who knows if they can pull it all together maybe higher. Embiid is going to be a hall of fame player . I like how they have tried to build through the draft but they simply need to get a few bench shooters and they will be great. Maybe they will go after Klay Thompson or Durant at the end of the year? Korver would have been a good fit. They will get there.

Load Metric
    This Timberwolves team post-Butler is interesting. A quick fit, and Covington playing both sides of the court extremely well. 7-3 the last ten while Wiggins continues to put up total dogshit game after dogshit game is impressive. That contract is such an albatross. They have to deeply regret that one. They’re playing well despite having a total net negative on a max deal. I’m curious to see if they can continue it.

Comments

gut: Cov underrated

Load Metric
    This Timberwolves team post-Butler is interesting. A quick fit, and Covington playing both sides of the court extremely well. 7-3 the last ten while Wiggins continues to put up total dogshit game after dogshit game is impressive. That contract is such an albatross. They have to deeply regret that one. They’re playing well despite having a total net negative on a max deal. I’m curious to see if they can continue it.

I was sad to see Covington go . Always plays hard . Seems an even trade so far . Sixers needed Butler cause Fultz turned out to be a bust but Saric was hot and cold and actually was hurting the chemistry in my opinion . With Butler we should be able to interest some decent bench players come trade time .

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Talk about a logjam!

After about 20 games, every team in the Western Conference is no more than 2 games below .500, aside from Phoenix.

Should actually be an interesting year from that standpoint, in that the West really only has one awful team.

The playoff 8 is wide open over there.

Compare that to the East, where 7 teams are already .381 or worse.

Load Metric
    Also, Derrick Rose is like....good again.

(Actually GREAT so far)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Also, Derrick Rose is like....good again.

(Actually GREAT so far)
    Yes, and he's gone more than 5 games without getting injured.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Here's a good article about the free agent contracts handed out in the NBA this past summer:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-nba-contracts

Minnesota getting DRose for $2.4m is a steal.

Pretty amazing that Chris Paul, who is already injury-prone, is going to get $44m in 2021-22 when he's 36.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    As expected, there are 5 good teams in the East this year (Raptors, Pacers, Bucks, Sixers, Celtics), and the rest are garbage.

The West is surprisingly competitive, because Golden State has come back down to earth, especially with Klay and Draymond having down years thus far.

Amazingly, there are only two teams in the West more than 2 games under .500 at this point. At the same time, the 6th seed and 13th seed are only separated by 3 games (!!), so there's a shitoad of okayish teams in the Western Conference. This does make watching the regular season more interesting, as there's a lot more parity this year, and most of the games aren't a foregone conclusion before they start.

Don't look now, but the Lakers are just 2.5 games off the #1 seed. They might have made a statement by slaughtering the Warriors in Oakland the other day, especially with Lebron missing 40% of the game. Fortunately for the Lakers, the durable Lebron is "day to day" after the groin injury, so he should be back soon enough.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    As expected, there are 5 good teams in the East this year (Raptors, Pacers, Bucks, Sixers, Celtics), and the rest are garbage.

The West is surprisingly competitive, because Golden State has come back down to earth, especially with Klay and Draymond having down years thus far.

Amazingly, there are only two teams in the West more than 2 games under .500 at this point. At the same time, the 6th seed and 13th seed are only separated by 3 games (!!), so there's a shitoad of okayish teams in the Western Conference. This does make watching the regular season more interesting, as there's a lot more parity this year, and most of the games aren't a foregone conclusion before they start.

Don't look now, but the Lakers are just 2.5 games off the #1 seed. They might have made a statement by slaughtering the Warriors in Oakland the other day, especially with Lebron missing 40% of the game. Fortunately for the Lakers, the durable Lebron is "day to day" after the groin injury, so he should be back soon enough.
    Rondo is out again for a long time. Lakers are extremely thin. They need to run very good with injury luck the rest of the season to finish high IMO. They are 2 games out of first but also 2 games out of the playoffs. I think it more likely they finish 8–10th best team in west than 1-3rd, due to injury attrition.

Load Metric
    Draymond seeming to have fallen off this year should propel the pseudo contenders to make a move. Its wild to think that the Warriors have DeMarcus Cousins waiting in the wings.

I'm looking to pounce on someone if I'm the Lakers. Banking on weirdo Kawhi coming or Anthony Davis seems risky.

Time to shop the youngins and see what comes up. I like their young guys (esp Lonzo) but don't think any of them are perennial all stars.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Draymond seeming to have fallen off this year should propel the pseudo contenders to make a move. Its wild to think that the Warriors have DeMarcus Cousins waiting in the wings.

I'm looking to pounce on someone if I'm the Lakers. Banking on weirdo Kawhi coming or Anthony Davis seems risky.

Time to shop the youngins and see what comes up. I like their young guys (esp Lonzo) but don't think any of them are perennial all stars.
    still trying to figure out how the brow gets to LA if they don't make a move before boston can get involved...NO will have to trade him if he doesn't sign and boston's package is infinitely better than anything LA can come up with...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Watching the Laker game now. Lonzo is actually really good. Even if it doesn't show up on the stat line, he just does the things to make other guys play better. Kuzma is the real deal too IMO. Neither of them are ever gonna be the best guy on a championship team, but if Lebron can leverage Ingram into getting another star that complements him better they could definitely be on a championship team. The window is probably short though as Lebron probably only has another year or two before he isn't elite anymore.

Unfortunately, Lakers dont have anything to trade for Davis, as others have noted, so don't see how that happens unless Davis decides to give himself a MASSIVE paycut by going into free agency.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Lakers are awful without Lebron. Admittedly, Rondo is also out, but he is not the player he once was, and I don't see it being all that much different if he were here.

This has to do a lot for the 34-year-old Lebron's ego, but also indicates to him that, despite the supposed talent of the teammates he joined, he's basically on a 1-man team.

They're 3-7 since he went down against the Warriors.

However, it's not just the 3-7 record. It's who they're losing to.

Eight of those 10 games were against teams which were 2 over .500 or worse. The only two good teams, the Clippers and Thunder, beat them. So they went 3-5 against those teams.

Even worse, they lost to BOTH the horrendous Cavaliers and Knicks in that stretch, and both were home games.

Lonzo Ball has regressed big time since last year.

Lebron will be back soon enough, and the team will once again get better, but I just don't see them making it all that far in the playoffs, even with Lebron's trademark playoff heroics.

Thread Information