Thread: Google employees walk out

Load Metric

Load Metric
    When Druff installs Facebook Portal in the mansion I might have to finally sign up.

Creepy becomes kitsch

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It is funny to me when leftist companies, which try to outwardly support all the "correct" causes, behave very differently behind closed doors.

While sexual harassment will occur at large companies, due to the sheer number of employees, it seems that Google did its best to both cover it up and pay some of these guys big money to quietly go away.

And then there's Facebook, which claims to care about the little guy and again supports all the "correct" left wing causes, but steals your data and covers up their wrongdoing.

It's not easy to be an ideological lefty when running a large capitalist corporation. Usually money ends up beating your ideals.

Load Metric
    Sex in the work place ain’t going away. The story bores me.

I don’t see Zuckerberg as particularly leftist either. That was just sales.

Zuckerberg admired hacker culture. There is a badge of honor that comes with being a disruptive hacker.

Move Fast and Break Things

I’m CEO, Bitch

Zuck, the sensitive liberal.

What interests me a little is why people hack. Sadly, I think many do it because they were alienated and sought companionship.

Phone phreaks conquered Ma Bell’s system and their reward was status and a 12 way party line. Very few actually found romance in the tech.

The greatest killer apps were those that brought people together. Makes you retch. Twitter, Facebook.

Was Zuck in love with the tech? Building a brilliant system and getting rich? Did you ever get the sense he sought the companionship of others? That he had any real interest in people at all?

Zuck built a brilliant system. He loved the tech. You were just a pawn. He understood how to satisfy and play the public.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    It is funny to me when leftist companies, which try to outwardly support all the "correct" causes, behave very differently behind closed doors.

While sexual harassment will occur at large companies, due to the sheer number of employees, it seems that Google did its best to both cover it up and pay some of these guys big money to quietly go away.

And then there's Facebook, which claims to care about the little guy and again supports all the "correct" left wing causes, but steals your data and covers up their wrongdoing.

It's not easy to be an ideological lefty when running a large capitalist corporation. Usually money ends up beating your ideals.
    That’s because the managers of for-profit corporations in the US are legally obligated to look out for the interests of the company shareholders over all other parties. And that highly focused legal obligation tends to cause publicly-traded for-profit corporations to act like legal-person psychopaths.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    if you think FB and Zuck in particular is left, check these vids. FB made 5 execs available and ex employees contributed. Early in 1st hour, Mark sez to the effect of "we have to make it interesting enough for newbies to give us their info" in a dorm room or small office. On stage an interviewer causes sweating to point of chin drips and hoodie removal by Mark. Language of current execs is very 1984ish. All FB accounts seem horribly -ev. I don't think Zuck is driven by money. And it's something much uglier than creating an elegant hack.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...ebook-dilemma/
    The reason all workers deserve a living wage is because all workers need to be alive. Not very complex.

Load Metric
    How do you feel about Google's military/intelligence contracts?

Comments

MumblesBadly: To be expected given that publicly-traded for-profit corporations in the US have, as legal persons, the psychological profile of psychopaths.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    In case anyone is wondering about the actual facts of these allegations, in 2014 a woman who he was having an affair with accused Rubin of "coercing" her into having sex with him, whatever the fuck that means, seeing as how they were having a consensual affair at the time. Google decided to handle the situation by paying them both off. I doubt charges were even filed or there was even a credible criminal case at all, but Google probably decided it was best to just pay all parties off and hopefully have it quietly go away to avoid the bad press.

And now 4 years later he is going through a messy divorce and "someone" slipped the story to the NYT. This is obviously a ploy by his wife's attorney to smear him to get more leverage, and every single one of those foolish Google employees protesting should be ashamed of themselves, for letting themselves be used this way.

And the NYT should be ashamed for rolling around in the muck like this, except they are a deplorable 3rd rate hack publication and have no shame.

Thread Information