Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** Huey Lewis appreciation thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

*** OFFICIAL *** Huey Lewis appreciation thread

Huey Lewis was one of my favorite musicians back in the 1980s.

I had always meant to see him live, but sadly I never ended up doing it, and now he has cancelled all upcoming tours due to a disease which has robbed him of a lot of his hearing. He's currently 68 years old, so I assume he's done for good.

Three of his band members have been with him the whole way, dating back to 1980.

My favorite two albums were "Picture This" (1982) and the much better known "Sports" (1983).

He also did two well known songs for Back to the Future which did not appear on any other album, "Power of Love" and "Back in Time". Huey appeared in the movie as a band judge, as kind of an inside joke, where he told Marty McFly that his music as "too damn loud", after Marty played an instrumental version of one of Huey's songs.

Songs from Picture This:

"The Only One", the last video above, was not a hit, but I remember really liking it from the 1982 Picture This album.

It actually told a true story from Huey's past, about an old friend from high school who was "the coolest guy in school", but peaked there and developed a drug and alcohol problem. The guy eventually wandered into traffic and was killed.

"Do You Believe In Love" was a #7 hit in 1982, and was written by John "Mutt" Lange.

Songs from "Sports":

"If This is It" was released as a single in 1984, and the video was made at the height of MTV's cultural popularity (1984), so it had a surreal comedy element to it.

Also in 1984, Huey Lewis noticed something familiar about Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" song, and swore it had ripped off "I Want a New Drug". While I could never really hear it, apparently there was some merit to this, as the lawsuit was settled out of court.

Songs from "Back to the Future":

Silver
    Load Metric
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically.

The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost.

He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor

Comments

Username: Holy Shit - completely didn’t read until after my post. Nice catch.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Huey Lewis was one of my favorite musicians back in the 1980s.

I had always meant to see him live, but sadly I never ended up doing it, and now he has cancelled all upcoming tours due to a disease which has robbed him of a lot of his hearing. He's currently 68 years old, so I assume he's done for good.

Three of his band members have been with him the whole way, dating back to 1980.

My favorite two albums were "Picture This" (1982) and the much better known "Sports" (1983).

He also did two well known songs for Back to the Future which did not appear on any other album, "Power of Love" and "Back in Time". Huey appeared in the movie as a band judge, as kind of an inside joke, where he told Marty McFly that his music as "too damn loud", after Marty played an instrumental version of one of Huey's songs.

Songs from Picture This:

"The Only One", the last video above, was not a hit, but I remember really liking it from the 1982 Picture This album.

It actually told a true story from Huey's past, about an old friend from high school who was "the coolest guy in school", but peaked there and developed a drug and alcohol problem. The guy eventually wandered into traffic and was killed.

"Do You Believe In Love" was a #7 hit in 1982, and was written by John "Mutt" Lange.

Songs from "Sports":

"If This is It" was released as a single in 1984, and the video was made at the height of MTV's cultural popularity (1984), so it had a surreal comedy element to it.

Also in 1984, Huey Lewis noticed something familiar about Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" song, and swore it had ripped off "I Want a New Drug". While I could never really hear it, apparently there was some merit to this, as the lawsuit was settled out of court.

Songs from "Back to the Future":

Patrick Bateman or are we calling you Paul Allen?
    The similarities are actually uncanny.

Comments

Sheesfaced: :-)

BCR: Was scrolling down to insert Bateman pic.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Sometimes bad is bad

Best version of the Star Spangled Banner ever IMO

Bronze
    Load Metric
    This is a joke right?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    This is a joke right?
    You never listen to the beginning of Radio shows?

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: lol seriously tho never?

simply1: Never once listened.

Load Metric
    went to see Huey Lewis at the Lynden state fare 3 summers ago they were excellent, glad i got a chance to see them i like a bunch of his songs.
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 10-13-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Wonderful, a moment of light in the middle of pedotines shit.

USERNAME “I didn’t read your post “ in a 2 fucking post thread lol
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Silver
    Load Metric
    Saw him front row, in Atlanta at The Omni around 1987 or so. Robert Cray, a black blues guitar player, was the opener.

The thing I remember about the show was his set was short and the stage was very minimal. I saw a ton of live acts at the time due to ticket connections and his was very average. I liked his music but it seems like every one I saw during this time period was better than him.

Robert Cray was a good opening choice - he had a song or two on the radio at the time.

Load Metric
    more like huey jewis A ZING POW KABLAM

Thread Information