Thread: Christian Bale stars as Dick Cheney in "Vice", a movie about... Dick Cheney

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Christian Bale stars as Dick Cheney in "Vice", a movie about... Dick Cheney

While Bale's transformation into Cheney is very impressive (he's also said to have gained 40 pounds for the role), I'm unimpressed with the trailer, which seems to indicate the film will be a caricature of all the worst left wing narrative of Bush and Cheney.

For starters, I highly doubt the conversation depicted was anywhere near what occurred in reality.

The movie seems to be pushing the narrative that Bush was a dim, lazy, simpleton, who made an agreement with Cheney before running together that Cheney will be the actual person dictating policy, while Bush operates as a figurehead.

This was simply untrue.

Cheney was chosen in order to excite the conservative portion of the Republican Party, as well as for his experience.

Bush did not want to do be a do-nothing figurehead. He really felt like he was going to change the world for the better, and that was his attitude throughout the Presidency. In fact, he was actually fairly egoless -- pretty much the opposite of Trump.

It is likely true that Cheney didn't want a do-little role as VP, and probably asked to have more active input into policy. This is especially true because Cheney did not have Presidential aspirations himself, so it wasn't a stepping stone job. It's also true that Cheney was very hawkish, and some of that input likely influenced Bush's decisions.

That sort of story would have made a much more compelling move.

This seems like a cartoonish depiction of the fearmongering and criticism of the Bush Administration by the left during the 2000s.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    While Bale's transformation into Cheney is very impressive (he's also said to have gained 40 pounds for the role), I'm unimpressed with the trailer, which seems to indicate the film will be a caricature of all the worst left wing narrative of Bush and Cheney.

For starters, I highly doubt the conversation depicted was anywhere near what occurred in reality.

The movie seems to be pushing the narrative that Bush was a dim, lazy, simpleton, who made an agreement with Cheney before running together that Cheney will be the actual person dictating policy, while Bush operates as a figurehead.

This was simply untrue.

Cheney was chosen in order to excite the conservative portion of the Republican Party, as well as for his experience.

Bush did not want to do be a do-nothing figurehead. He really felt like he was going to change the world for the better, and that was his attitude throughout the Presidency. In fact, he was actually fairly egoless -- pretty much the opposite of Trump.

It is likely true that Cheney didn't want a do-little role as VP, and probably asked to have more active input into policy. This is especially true because Cheney did not have Presidential aspirations himself, so it wasn't a stepping stone job. It's also true that Cheney was very hawkish, and some of that input likely influenced Bush's decisions.

This seems like a cartoonish depiction of the fearmongering and criticism of the Bush Administration by the left during the 2000s.
    Druff, its a comedy. The whole point is for it to be an insulting, cartoonish depiction.

Fox News is gonna have a field day with this one. I am confused. Do the leftist Democratic supporters even want to win the Senate or the Presidency in 2 years? If yes, why are they so insistent on riling up the base of the right? Who do they think this film is going to energize to vote?

Load Metric
    are they gonna talk about how Bush, Cheney and the Jews did 9/11, didn't follow proper protocol procedures that day and signed the Patriot Act in the middle of the night without allowing anyone to read it, giving up all our freedoms so they could make billions for themselves and the military industrial complex, pushing us into unwarranted wars for the rest of our lives?

Comments

FPS_Russia: Nope, total whitewash

Load Metric
    It's a toss up on who id like to see dead 1st Cheney or Adelson

Load Metric
    Druff, I thought that you said that you are able to laugh again? (See verminaard’s post.)
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

This was simply untrue.

Your assessment on Bush is spot on, but your assessment on Cheney is somewhat off.

Cheney was chosen for a reason, he was the guy that was going to oversee the shady back room deals ala no bid contracts for $200 rolls of toilet paper in Iraq, or before 9/11, almost 90% of HW's cabinet being appointed to W's cabinet.

Cut to Cheney being the one at NORCOM ready to implement CoG protocols on supposed info of W's death on 9/11 (see "Welcome to terrorland" by Daniel Hopsicher).

Cheney was there to please the bonesmen who remembered GW as the cokehead that he was ALLEGEDLY.
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Load Metric
    By all accounts, Dick Cheney was the most deeply involved modern VP who drastically shaped foreign policy and was largely responsible for the dramatic failure of the Iraq war. Look up his involvement with JSOC. He'll be remembered as an overzealous neocon, but the W presidency is largely forgotten due to Trump.

George W. was largely chided solely for being inarticulate, which is laughable in hindsight given the doddering buffoon in office now who can't form a sentence and gets the far right fired up with every amoral transgression. Dick Cheney would actually be an asset in today's administration; he wouldn't tolerate Trump's idiocy and we would be less of a laughingstock worldwide.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Let me ask you, do you think this movie was meant as comedy relief, or satire?
    Nothing from the Bush eras' comes across as comical to me. I would consider those eras
    as precursors to today's disaster.
    Take a long look in the mirror Republicans cause there is illness in your tribe

Oh, just noticed that Druff's commentary is based on a trailer.
    Red rep

Load Metric
    above criticisms are spot on

the picture should have been a musical

I can hear it now: "Spring Time for Chaney and Double-U...."
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    This $60 million movie about former Vice President Cheney isn't the real story here.
    The company that is producing this shit is.

Annapurna Pictures has been run into the ground by Billionaire Larry Ellison's lesbian daughter.

Megan Ellison got into the movie business so that she can fuck hot hollywood actresses and make stupid independent artsy movies that don't make money.

As Annapurna Stumbles, Billionaire Larry Ellison Exerts Control

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/a...ce-1202975648/

While Skydance is currently on solid financial footing, Annapurna is another story. The company has racked up hundreds of millions of dollars of losses over the years, due to some significant box office misses, including last month’s release of the John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix Western “The Sisters Brothers,” on which the studio was a participant. The film cost close to $40 million to produce and has only grossed $757,000 to date.

Megan Ellison Mystery: What's Going on at Annapurna Pictures?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ctures-1151067

the daughter of Oracle billionaire Larry Ellison is said to have poured some $200 million into the company

Load Metric
    shame his heart didn't go out on him. I rooted for him to have a heart attack almost daily from 2004-2008

considering the amount of blood he has on his hands He deserves a slow painful death

Comments

dwai: so much blood and money on those hands

Thread Information