Thread: Site is killing the server, might have downtime soon if we have to move

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Site is killing the server, might have downtime soon if we have to move

As some of you heard (or experienced), the site crashed at 3:07pm PST today due to memory allocation problems.

This may have been a result of the chat room being a memory hog, but we've also been experiencing various memory allocation problems (causing those internal server errors) for the past several days.

Unless I can find a way to cut down on this site's memory usage, I may have to abandon this server and switch to another one with more RAM.

If that happens, there may be some downtime, but I will make sure to save everything so nothing (except for maybe the final few hours' worth of posts before the switch) is lost.

I will update you guys if I have to resort to this, and when you can expect the downtime.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    As some of you heard (or experienced), the site crashed at 3:07pm PST today due to memory allocation problems.

This may have been a result of the chat room being a memory hog, but we've also been experiencing various memory allocation problems (causing those internal server errors) for the past several days.

Unless I can find a way to cut down on this site's memory usage, I may have to abandon this server and switch to another one with more RAM.

If that happens, there may be some downtime, but I will make sure to save everything so nothing (except for maybe the final few hours' worth of posts before the switch) is lost.

I will update you guys if I have to resort to this, and when you can expect the downtime.

VMs are horrible.

Cheap, but horrible.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I don't know shit about computers but this site is so fucking slow I don't know if I can take it anymore. 8 seconds to get this reply box up, with no major images to fill in for the most part.

And don't tell me it is my computer because I post at various places that come up in 2 seconds at the most, all the time.

It is seriously fucking annoying, and is easily cutting down my posting by 50% or more if I had to throw a number on it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Edit - now see the reply I just wrote came up in no time, it just seems to be the reply screen and post new thread screen shit like that.

Unfortunately I had to go and make a new post because the Edit button did not work for the old one.

Load Metric
    URLJet.com

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Edit - now see the reply I just wrote came up in no time, it just seems to be the reply screen and post new thread screen shit like that.

Unfortunately I had to go and make a new post because the Edit button did not work for the old one.
    I experienced the same freeze-up around the time you did.

However, I can't agree with your overall assessment. The site usually runs quickly and efficiently under normal browsing/posting.

I've also been checking, and we've had zero memory allocation errors since Saturday afternoon.

I have moved the flash radio player to the other server (it's in the same spot here, you won't notice a difference as a user), and I am going to install a different chat room that doesn't suck up as much memory.

I really want to avoid moving this thing, because it will be a huge pain in the ass.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

VMs are horrible.

Cheap, but horrible.
    Is it on a VM? No mention of using a VM in that post.

Plus VMs needn't be cheap or horrible.

Thread Information