Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here it goes again... I'm going to embark upon the painful journey of weight loss

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Here it goes again... I'm going to embark upon the painful journey of weight loss

I weighed myself tonight, and found that I'm now at the highest weight of my life.

I blame Hot Dog on a Stick. Earlier this year, I had just eaten dinner, and was waiting for my phone to be repaired at the mall. I went to Hot Dog on a Stick out of habit, and ordered a second dinner. As it hadn't been too long since my first dinner, my stomach stretched to fit everything in.

I came home and told my girlfriend that I felt uncomfortable and had eaten too much that night, and feared that I stretched my stomach.

Indeed, that's what happened. The next day, I was extra hungry. So I ate more than usual. Same with the next day, and the next, and the next.

So here we are several months later, and I gained something like 15 pounds.

I feel uncomfortable and also have become concerned about the health implications, as I am already having some issues which may be weight related. (On a side note, somehow 2018 has been a great year so far regarding getting sick. I've been sick just ONCE the entire year.)

Starting tomorrow, I will embark upon a similar diet to what I attempted in 2013. In that situation, I also found myself heavier than I had ever been (though now I'm even heavier), and was disgusted after seeing myself in a picture with Penn Gillette, where I felt I looked a lot fatter than I ever wanted to be. I posted at the time regarding my plan for the diet, and was roundly mocked by many here that it wouldn't work. However, I proved the critics wrong, as I dropped 24 pounds within a few months, and the weight mostly stayed off for a long time.

This picture was taken on September 21, 2013, a few months after I had lost the 24 pounds (and only a few pounds had come back):

Since I am 5 1/2 years older than last time, it might be a little harder.

Also, last time my stomach wasn't stretched. I just had bad eating habits.

So this one will be a greater challenge.

Therefore, I will set my first goals as follows:

10 pounds lost by October 1
    20 (total) pounds lost by December 1

Ideally I would like to lose 30, but that may not be attainable. But if I could get down 20 and keep it off, that would be great.

I will update the thread with my progress.

*giggling*

Comments

Flipper_Fair: Unusual Suspects

hongkonger: Good luck

Muck Ficon: Good luck

IamGreek: Progresso soups are great when dieting. Very satisfying

Load Metric
    I stopped all soda and juices 18 months ago. Best thing I ever did. If I'm thirsty I drink water or coffee.

Every glass of apple or orange juice was 150'ish calories I don't need.
    Give up soda, even the diet variety is no good, you brain can do without the sweet rush that influences other dietary choices.

Load Metric
    STOMACH SO STRETCHY

Load Metric
    You travel a lot. Any time I travel I find it really hard to not gain weight. If you’re starting to have health issues related to the weight gain, then you obviously know you might want to keep it off next time. That’s usually a good motivator. I won’t bore you with dieting advice. Your goals are modest and I’m sure you’ll get it off. Good luck.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Druff, congrats on finally doing something about it but you don’t need a “diet”, you need to change the way you eat in a way you can sustain for the rest of your life. Find healthy foods you enjoy eating and can eat everyday and do that for the rest of your life. If you don’t come up with a plan you can sustain for years you’ll just be on a vicious lose-gain cycle which is even less healthy than staying overweight.

You also should start a weight training resistance program as well, at least three times a week. It will improve your quality of life drastically in your older years and will help you maintain your healthy food intake.

This is my take, which has worked for me.

Comments

splitthis: Best advice

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I weighed myself tonight, and found that I'm now at the highest weight of my life.

I blame Hot Dog on a Stick. Earlier this year, I had just eaten dinner, and was waiting for my phone to be repaired at the mall. I went to Hot Dog on a Stick out of habit, and ordered a second dinner. As it hadn't been too long since my first dinner, my stomach stretched to fit everything in.

I came home and told my girlfriend that I felt uncomfortable and had eaten too much that night, and feared that I stretched my stomach.

Indeed, that's what happened. The next day, I was extra hungry. So I ate more than usual. Same with the next day, and the next, and the next.

So here we are several months later, and I gained something like 15 pounds.

I feel uncomfortable and also have become concerned about the health implications, as I am already having some issues which may be weight related. (On a side note, somehow 2018 has been a great year so far regarding getting sick. I've been sick just ONCE the entire year.)

Starting tomorrow, I will embark upon a similar diet to what I attempted in 2013. In that situation, I also found myself heavier than I had ever been (though now I'm even heavier), and was disgusted after seeing myself in a picture with Penn Gillette, where I felt I looked a lot fatter than I ever wanted to be. I posted at the time regarding my plan for the diet, and was roundly mocked by many here that it wouldn't work. However, I proved the critics wrong, as I dropped 24 pounds within a few months, and the weight mostly stayed off for a long time.

This picture was taken on September 21, 2013, a few months after I had lost the 24 pounds (and only a few pounds had come back):

Since I am 5 1/2 years older than last time, it might be a little harder.

Also, last time my stomach wasn't stretched. I just had bad eating habits.

So this one will be a greater challenge.

Therefore, I will set my first goals as follows:

10 pounds lost by October 1
    20 (total) pounds lost by December 1

Ideally I would like to lose 30, but that may not be attainable. But if I could get down 20 and keep it off, that would be great.

I will update the thread with my progress.

*giggling*
    Well your second best in that picture anyway.
    Try adding a drinking problem into the equation. Woo hoo
    If you like Sushi, it is low on the calories and it's a good excuse to eat sushi all the time.
    Chicken, chicken, chicken. Just the bbq stuff you get at supermarkets

Btw, saw a commercial during the PGA for fat freezing????
    No idea but you know it's gonna cost you.

Also, have a heart attack. They don't let you drive for a month so you become Lance Armstrong very quickly

Load Metric
    I don't believe you to be serious.

Load Metric
    Good luck. Consider starting with a cleanse. I did a three day all juice cleanse. Check out blue print cleanse. Helps re set the craving for crap food.

Load Metric
    Prop bet?

Load Metric

Unhappy

I have a bad feeling this will be an hour or so topic on radio tonight.

Sigh!

Load Metric
    Druff if you really want to lose weight unban fluffer, hunt the jackass down and have him in here bugging you daily

:giggling

Load Metric
    i dropped 30 pounds with absolutely nothing but portion control / calorie deficits. took about 4 months and i cheated constantly.

only goes so far and eventually your body will be like 'oh so you think youre slick' and will start burning calories _much_ more efficiently at which point you actually have to physically burn calories which of course is totally my waterloo but yeah that first 10% of your body mass shoudnt be as hard as you think, providing you just accept that hunger is going to be a minor inconvenience in your life.

Comments

Belly Buster: truth
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I lost 35 lbs over 9 months cutting out sugar and a lot of carbs (not all) and drinking ICE water instead of soda. Ate shredded wheat with stevia and progresso soups. When I got hungry between meals ate a small handful of walnuts. First two weeks were the hardest but after that the cravings went away. Also you gotta exercise which was especially hard for me cuz I'm a lazy ass. Give yourself a day off once a week. Been 3 years and still haven't put it back on but I still stay away from sugar and watch my carb intake. Good Luck Sir!

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    Good luck. Consider starting with a cleanse. I did a three day all juice cleanse. Check out blue print cleanse. Helps re set the craving for crap food.
    This site has some of the dumbest advice on the internet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGreek View Post
    I lost 35 lbs over 9 months cutting out sugar and a lot of carbs (not all) and drinking ICE water instead of soda. Ate shredded wheat with stevia and progresso soups. When I got hungry between meals ate a small handful of walnuts. First two weeks were the hardest but after that the cravings went away. Also you gotta exercise which was especially hard for me cuz I'm a lazy ass. Give yourself a day off once a week. Been 3 years and still haven't put it back on but I still stay away from sugar and watch my carb intake. Good Luck Sir!

yeah there are simply no circumstances where an adult should drink soda, its pure death water. i drink fruit juices, thats my guilty vice.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Druff, consider yourself lucky on this point: Your career (and financial situation) allow you the freedom to customize your usual workspace to be more health-inducing than folks who can’t do so for whatever reason.

As someone who has seen the pounds steadily come on over the past 10 years or so in large part because my job required me to sit for countless hours each day (nittishly grinding live poker, then OTR truck driving) and with not much success confronting it, I know that insufficient regular exercise is the primary culprit behind my weight gain and continuous difficulty in materially reversing it.

Name:  0AE726A1-2FD2-40A9-AE03-BF1829D33197.gif
Views: 1575
Size:  2.01 MB

If I were you, and expecting a diet-restricted path to better health to be rather unpleasant, with the option to customize my workspace to make it so much easier to get a ton of regular exercise, I’d try this to jumpstart my journey back to better health: Get and start regularly using one of these:

Name:  408C2187-4EFC-4C2C-9382-B85818E9403B.png
Views: 1301
Size:  230.3 KB

I’m not kidding. Walking works wonders. Our human form is environmentally ‘designed’ (by natural selection) to walk for hours and hours each day, but many of us don’t have the luxury of being able to incorprate that activity into our regular day. You do. Take it. It will change your life healthwise like nobody’s business.

Name:  807155E1-D8B1-42CE-BC50-D777CE160039.gif
Views: 1265
Size:  1,020.8 KB

And even though you’ll eventually want to effusively thank me for suggesting this at this juncture, I won’t hold you to actually doing so. I’ll just be glad that your health will have improved so much that we can expect you to be healthy enough to keep doing the radio show for years and years. Because, in fact, you would be able to do the show while using a treadmill desk! And how great would that be?!!!

Alright. I’ve gushed enough about this idea for now. Give it some serious thought. Talk it over with Benjamin’s mom. And then go shopping for one!
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 08-15-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGreek View Post

yeah there are simply no circumstances where an adult should drink soda, its pure death water. i drink fruit juices, thats my guilty vice.
    or fast food

Comments

sonatine: completely agree

IamGreek: goes without saying

Silver
    Load Metric
    Good luck Todd.

I'm going to ghost you in this thread .

I'm about 230lbs in old money.

210 by 1st November is the plan .

Mainly by drinking a lot less and not eating takeaways.

Let's go ......

(10 pints and a pizza so far today)

Comments

splitthis: Pints and pizza
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    Its not easy to lose weight when you are part hobbit though. Maybe Jenny Craig?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    THIS ACTUALLY WORKED FOR A FRIEND OF MINE.

eat a big breakfeast and a big lunch. anything you want..

then after that, nothing... just 2 teaspoons of tuna salad at night to fight hunger pains..

Comments

Muck Ficon: He was probably a crack addict. That always helps to lose weight

herbertstemple: offfset.

Thread Information