Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Here it goes again... I'm going to embark upon the painful journey of weight loss

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BUMP

As 2019 went by, I started eating more and more, and basically returned to a lot of bad habits of eating very large meals and also eating a lot of junk late at night.

My weight rose to 232 by mid-June, just 9 pounds less than my high last year before the uncontrolled rapid weight loss due to the anxiety.

Frustrated by this, when I returned to the WSOP in late June, I did a form of the Intermittent Fasting Diet known as "The Warrior Diet", where basically I ate one huge meal per day and little else the entire time. I also mostly drank water. I came back from the WSOP to find mysef at 225 pounds.

However, this was easier to pull off at the Rio, given that my mind was on tournaments through most of the day (rather than eating), and given that I had very little food in my room.

Once I got home, I returned to crazy eating, and rose back to 232 pounds.

Earlier this month, I decided I was going to return to the Warrior Diet, and now eat almost nothing late at night, which is tough, but I'm managing it. Believe me, I have the urge to go crazy and eat massive amounts of food, but I'm fighting it.

I'm now 224 pounds. The goal is to return to 215, which I think it probably as far as I can get before my body starts fighting it and attempts to stop its own weight loss.

The main motivation I have to lose this weight is the fact that I don't want to toss away the one benefit I received out of the horrible experience last year.

Once I get to 215, I will try to introduce some kind of reasonable medium to where I can eat late at night, but not the large amounts I was before.
    Glad to here you are making progress towards getting into better shape. But let me be the first one here to say that the plan you mention at the end is likely to be as successful as promising to only have a little bit of sex with your smoking hot girlfriend once you and she get started. “Two minutes of sex is all I want, honey. After that, we’ll retire to our respective sides of the bed.”
    two minutes of sex these days is just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Once I get to 215, I will try to introduce some kind of reasonable medium to where I can eat late at night, but not the large amounts I was before.
    Eating late at night, for a whole host of reasons, will continue to ruin any gains you get. Concentrate on breaking the habit instead of trying to find a way to make the habit viable. Eating late at night hurts sleep quality, digestion, cell repair, and all sorts of things the body does to repair itself. It is extraordinarily counterproductive to your goals, eating at night. Even if you eat the same amount of calories, your body will not treat them the same. Your weight will go back up. 100%.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Eating late at night, for a whole host of reasons, will continue to ruin any gains you get. Concentrate on breaking the habit instead of trying to find a way to make the habit viable. Eating late at night hurts sleep quality, digestion, cell repair, and all sorts of things the body does to repair itself. It is extraordinarily counterproductive to your goals, eating at night. Even if you eat the same amount of calories, your body will not treat them the same. Your weight will go back up. 100%.
    There but for the grace of god go I

Good luck fatty

I can't get the inability to control your habit

Comments

splitthis: Miss u

Load Metric
    If being fat was the only reason to stop eating at night I’d say go for it.

Crowe is wise about sleep quality and it’s importance for health. Nothing ages you faster than poor sleep habits

I’m no champion of good sleep habits but I really gotta work harder at living Crowe’s words

Try looking at your sleep restlessness with a Fitbit or similar - that’ll get you woke

My personal observation is that an older person can eat right, avoid alcohol and all the other virtues but if their sleep is shit they are fucked. Unfortunately, older people always sleep poorly it seems. Sorta doomed regardless. It’s interesting
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-21-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Looks like I need a big motivator to get myself to lose weight.

In 2013 it was a picture next to Penn Jilette (back when he was fat) where I also looked fat. I was disgusted by it and went on a diet, getting down to 208 pounds.

In 2018, it was a case of severe anxiety and depression which rocketed my metabolism sky high and caused me to involuntarily lose 32 pounds quickly, bringing me down to 209 pounds.

In 2020, it's the fear of catching the corona, which is both keeping me away from fast food drive thrus and pushing me to diet so my risk factor of severe symptoms is lower. I'm now back to 218 pounds and still dropping.

Unlike 2018, this isn't falling off by itself. I'm doing a modified intermittent fast diet, eating one large meal per day, and eating very little otherwise. I drink one Coke when I wake up, and water the entire rest of the time. I'm doing about 3 hikes per week on off-the-beaten-path trails so I barely run into any other people.

Would love to return to 200, which I was about 20 years ago, but I'll take 210 if that's all I can manage before my body resists it. In 2013, I got down to 208 pretty easily, but my body was strongly resisting getting below there, and I finally gave up.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: any reason is a good reason rep

Load Metric
    BUMP

In 2013 it was a picture next to Penn Jilette (back when he was fat) where I also looked fat. I was disgusted by it and went on a diet, getting down to 208 pounds.

In 2018, it was a case of severe anxiety and depression which rocketed my metabolism sky high and caused me to involuntarily lose 32 pounds quickly, bringing me down to 209 pounds.

In 2020, it's the fear of catching the corona, which is both keeping me away from fast food drive thrus and pushing me to diet so my risk factor of severe symptoms is lower. I'm now back to 218 pounds and still dropping.

Unlike 2018, this isn't falling off by itself. I'm doing a modified intermittent fast diet, eating one large meal per day, and eating very little otherwise. I drink one Coke when I wake up, and water the entire rest of the time. I'm doing about 3 hikes per week on off-the-beaten-path trails so I barely run into any other people.

Would love to return to 200, which I was about 20 years ago, but I'll take 210 if that's all I can manage before my body resists it. In 2013, I got down to 208 pretty easily, but my body was strongly resisting getting below there, and I finally gave up.
    you're being a huge faggot about this coronavirus thing, quite the pussy.

actually, wait a tick, if I had your "stellar" immune system I'd be scared too.

lol jk

Load Metric
    take it down

Load Metric
    Download a free food tracking app. It will track your calories and activity and you can dial in how fast or slow you want to lose. More than anything it will woke you on things you don’t realize you are doing keeping you too heavy. Your physical activity should be daily.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    BUMP

You probably don't have much to worry about with regards to being somewhat overweight. Big difference between being overweight and being morbidly obese. If you are 6'4" and 225 you are likely around a 27 BMI, not the best but not really risky when all said and done. The issue is if you are 6'4" and 325 and a ball of goo. Then you are considered morbidly obese and you are a walking petri dish for the virus, especially if you are also type 2, asthma, etc..

You mention taking hikes, someone morbidly obese generally can't walk to their mailbox without catching their breath. I know a really big fat guy, and every time I am around him he profusely sweats when he walks more than a block, even when its cold outside. He is a real good guy but was a former practice team offensive line player in the NFL for a couple years and has never been able to get the weight off since, and its been 20 years. Every time I see him he just gets larger he must be 350 lbs now. A couple years ago was really the last time I was at a food setting with him, he polished off 20 wings and a cheeseburger along with a pitcher of beer. I had never seen that before. But hey, I battled a vodka addiction in the past and could polish off a 1/5th in a night so who am I to judge.

You're fine.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well thank you, bottomset.

I don't think I'm obese. Even at my highest weight I never thought that. And yes, I can do moderately-long hikes up steep hills with no difficulty. The only thing that gives me a hard time is going down steep hills with loose rocks, as I really don't want to fall and break or sprain something, which happens easily at this age. I had a sprained ankle in early 2015 from falling on a hike which took 8 months to heal (but since then has no pain at all).

Even without the coronavirus, it will be healthier to get my BMI closer to 25 than 30. Right now I'm in the middle.

Load Metric
    BUMP

Actually need to shed a few myself. Hopped on the shale at my sons circumcision appt and have tacked on a few. I would be okay with that temporarily but it's extra bothersome because I also have stopped weightlifting due to COVID, and am feeling squishy for the first time in forever. So less muscle and more fat.

Quarantine + being a new dad has led to extra snacking, less moving around and shittier meals. I think sleep plays a big role; my sleep patterns are a disaster. Dad bod is real.

I had been cooking 90% of the time, now eating loads of pre-made stuff, snacks etc. Desserts too, which I rarely touch.

Currently 5'11", 198 lb. Still running daily but need to plug leaks.

Have gone from JSearles to perfect shape before, so am optimistic. Be honest about your leaks and plug them gradually.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    BUMP

Actually need to shed a few myself. Hopped on the shale at my sons circumcision appt and have tacked on a few. I would be okay with that temporarily but it's extra bothersome because I also have stopped weightlifting due to COVID, and am feeling squishy for the first time in forever. So less muscle and more fat.

Quarantine + being a new dad has led to extra snacking, less moving around and shittier meals. I think sleep plays a big role; my sleep patterns are a disaster. Dad bod is real.

I had been cooking 90% of the time, now eating loads of pre-made stuff, snacks etc. Desserts too, which I rarely touch.

Currently 5'11", 198 lb. Still running daily but need to plug leaks.

Have gone from JSearles to perfect shape before, so am optimistic. Be honest about your leaks and plug them gradually.
    The number one leak most of us have is eating after 7pm, and I mean anything. If you can limit yourself to under 500-700 calories after 3pm its a huge help.

Load Metric
    BUMP

6 Stages Of Grief

Shock and Denial.
    Pain and Guilt.
    Anger.
    Bargaining.
    Depression and Sorrow.
    Acceptance and Hope.

Stage 4
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

There but for the grace of god go I

Good luck fatty

I can't get the inability to control your habit
    One of the most ironic posts ever made on this forum

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    I'm not questioning the advice, I'm just trying to figure out who the F would go to Ruth Chris, for a steak, at 4:30 pm.
    That F'ing early bird special crowd ain't going to like hearing you said anyone older than 79 is worthless and should die,
    just so you can go back to your normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

The number one leak most of us have is eating after 7pm, and I mean anything. If you can limit yourself to under 500-700 calories after 3pm its a huge help.
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Load Metric
    BUMP

Penn Jillette lost over 100 pounds on a potato diet.

Load Metric
    I got down from 250 to 200 my ideal weight then put it right back on. Back to exercising weighed 230 today.

Agree with spit

Comments

splitthis: You have to change your life permanently
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 05-04-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    I'm not questioning the advice, I'm just trying to figure out who the F would go to Ruth Chris, for a steak, at 4:30 pm.
    That F'ing early bird special crowd ain't going to like hearing you said anyone older than 79 is worthless and should die,
    just so you can go back to your normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

You are a very angry and bitter man, just like the dude in you avatar. But seriously, don't blame everyone else for the fact you are nowhere where you would like to be financially. Your mistakes are your own, but one of those self help books might help you. You need something because trolling grown men on a message board is not doing you any good.

Comments

splitthis: Here we go with the grown men again

Load Metric
    BUMP

This is what I posted about a month ago. That the silver lining to anything that scares us is modifying bad habits. Fear is a great motivator. That’s just human nature. I modified everything when I got sick, particularly cigarettes. I loved smoking. Just truly enjoyed having a cigarette. Even as a gym rat, it never made sense, but I just loved being curled up with a book, having a beer. or after a meal. All went with smoking. Could have never quit without the shit scared out of me.

I think your IF approach is the easiest path, particularly for someone who I think has a rather erratic sleep schedule. It’s easiest for me if I’m just trying to take a few pounds off. I kind of live that lifestyle the majority of the time as I’m not a breakfast guy and always avoid eating late. There are times I do it like you are and times where I’m measuring every macro.

You’re pretty fortunate you can drop easily still eating semi-poorly at times while still losing. Your BP might be genetic, but you strike me as someone who wouldn’t struggle much with weight if you ate just fairly well. Not that you’re ever obese from pics, just I think you’d hover around 210 if you didn’t fall into bad habits. I can eat like you and maintain a weight. I only lose while being very strict with what I eat while also doing IF. Simply eating what I want or drinking a pop, even in a window, would only allow me to maintain. Not lose.

Good job. If you dodge this virus, or have a mild case, with online being a mini-boom and taking off a few pounds, you might emerge from this thing better than you started it.

BUMP

BUMP

Thread Information