Thread: Here it goes again... I'm going to embark upon the painful journey of weight loss

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Here it goes again... I'm going to embark upon the painful journey of weight loss

I weighed myself tonight, and found that I'm now at the highest weight of my life.

I blame Hot Dog on a Stick. Earlier this year, I had just eaten dinner, and was waiting for my phone to be repaired at the mall. I went to Hot Dog on a Stick out of habit, and ordered a second dinner. As it hadn't been too long since my first dinner, my stomach stretched to fit everything in.

I came home and told my girlfriend that I felt uncomfortable and had eaten too much that night, and feared that I stretched my stomach.

Indeed, that's what happened. The next day, I was extra hungry. So I ate more than usual. Same with the next day, and the next, and the next.

So here we are several months later, and I gained something like 15 pounds.

I feel uncomfortable and also have become concerned about the health implications, as I am already having some issues which may be weight related. (On a side note, somehow 2018 has been a great year so far regarding getting sick. I've been sick just ONCE the entire year.)

Starting tomorrow, I will embark upon a similar diet to what I attempted in 2013. In that situation, I also found myself heavier than I had ever been (though now I'm even heavier), and was disgusted after seeing myself in a picture with Penn Gillette, where I felt I looked a lot fatter than I ever wanted to be. I posted at the time regarding my plan for the diet, and was roundly mocked by many here that it wouldn't work. However, I proved the critics wrong, as I dropped 24 pounds within a few months, and the weight mostly stayed off for a long time.

This picture was taken on September 21, 2013, a few months after I had lost the 24 pounds (and only a few pounds had come back):

Since I am 5 1/2 years older than last time, it might be a little harder.

Also, last time my stomach wasn't stretched. I just had bad eating habits.

So this one will be a greater challenge.

Therefore, I will set my first goals as follows:

10 pounds lost by October 1
    20 (total) pounds lost by December 1

Ideally I would like to lose 30, but that may not be attainable. But if I could get down 20 and keep it off, that would be great.

I will update the thread with my progress.

*giggling*

Comments

Flipper_Fair: Unusual Suspects

hongkonger: Good luck

Muck Ficon: Good luck

IamGreek: Progresso soups are great when dieting. Very satisfying

Load Metric
    I stopped all soda and juices 18 months ago. Best thing I ever did. If I'm thirsty I drink water or coffee.

Every glass of apple or orange juice was 150'ish calories I don't need.
    Give up soda, even the diet variety is no good, you brain can do without the sweet rush that influences other dietary choices.

Load Metric
    STOMACH SO STRETCHY

Load Metric
    You travel a lot. Any time I travel I find it really hard to not gain weight. If you’re starting to have health issues related to the weight gain, then you obviously know you might want to keep it off next time. That’s usually a good motivator. I won’t bore you with dieting advice. Your goals are modest and I’m sure you’ll get it off. Good luck.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Druff, congrats on finally doing something about it but you don’t need a “diet”, you need to change the way you eat in a way you can sustain for the rest of your life. Find healthy foods you enjoy eating and can eat everyday and do that for the rest of your life. If you don’t come up with a plan you can sustain for years you’ll just be on a vicious lose-gain cycle which is even less healthy than staying overweight.

You also should start a weight training resistance program as well, at least three times a week. It will improve your quality of life drastically in your older years and will help you maintain your healthy food intake.

This is my take, which has worked for me.

Comments

splitthis: Best advice

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I weighed myself tonight, and found that I'm now at the highest weight of my life.

I blame Hot Dog on a Stick. Earlier this year, I had just eaten dinner, and was waiting for my phone to be repaired at the mall. I went to Hot Dog on a Stick out of habit, and ordered a second dinner. As it hadn't been too long since my first dinner, my stomach stretched to fit everything in.

I came home and told my girlfriend that I felt uncomfortable and had eaten too much that night, and feared that I stretched my stomach.

Indeed, that's what happened. The next day, I was extra hungry. So I ate more than usual. Same with the next day, and the next, and the next.

So here we are several months later, and I gained something like 15 pounds.

I feel uncomfortable and also have become concerned about the health implications, as I am already having some issues which may be weight related. (On a side note, somehow 2018 has been a great year so far regarding getting sick. I've been sick just ONCE the entire year.)

Starting tomorrow, I will embark upon a similar diet to what I attempted in 2013. In that situation, I also found myself heavier than I had ever been (though now I'm even heavier), and was disgusted after seeing myself in a picture with Penn Gillette, where I felt I looked a lot fatter than I ever wanted to be. I posted at the time regarding my plan for the diet, and was roundly mocked by many here that it wouldn't work. However, I proved the critics wrong, as I dropped 24 pounds within a few months, and the weight mostly stayed off for a long time.

This picture was taken on September 21, 2013, a few months after I had lost the 24 pounds (and only a few pounds had come back):

Since I am 5 1/2 years older than last time, it might be a little harder.

Also, last time my stomach wasn't stretched. I just had bad eating habits.

So this one will be a greater challenge.

Therefore, I will set my first goals as follows:

10 pounds lost by October 1
    20 (total) pounds lost by December 1

Ideally I would like to lose 30, but that may not be attainable. But if I could get down 20 and keep it off, that would be great.

I will update the thread with my progress.

*giggling*
    Well your second best in that picture anyway.
    Try adding a drinking problem into the equation. Woo hoo
    If you like Sushi, it is low on the calories and it's a good excuse to eat sushi all the time.
    Chicken, chicken, chicken. Just the bbq stuff you get at supermarkets

Btw, saw a commercial during the PGA for fat freezing????
    No idea but you know it's gonna cost you.

Also, have a heart attack. They don't let you drive for a month so you become Lance Armstrong very quickly

Load Metric
    I don't believe you to be serious.

Load Metric
    Good luck. Consider starting with a cleanse. I did a three day all juice cleanse. Check out blue print cleanse. Helps re set the craving for crap food.

Load Metric
    Prop bet?

Load Metric

Unhappy

I have a bad feeling this will be an hour or so topic on radio tonight.

Sigh!

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    Good luck. Consider starting with a cleanse. I did a three day all juice cleanse. Check out blue print cleanse. Helps re set the craving for crap food.
    This site has some of the dumbest advice on the internet.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  todd-2018-weightloss.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  54.0 KB

And I currently weigh about 3 pounds LESS than the Sept 2018 picture.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I agree that in a vacuum it is better (healthier) to be lighter. If your goal is to be healthier, blood work is much more important as well as diet and exercise.

I believe you are a super smart dude but your takes on dieting and nutrition are kind of old timey.

May I recommend reading about Paleo or Ketogenic eating or even the 4 hour body by Tim Ferriss.

Calorie counting and scale weight can be really overrated in my opinion. It is all about how the food you eat is affects your blood stream.

Peace,

Hozer11

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozer11 View Post
    I agree that in a vacuum it is better (healthier) to be lighter. If your goal is to be healthier, blood work is much more important as well as diet and exercise.

I believe you are a super smart dude but your takes on dieting and nutrition are kind of old timey.

May I recommend reading about Paleo or Ketogenic eating or even the 4 hour body by Tim Ferriss.

Calorie counting and scale weight can be really overrated in my opinion. It is all about how the food you eat is affects your blood stream.

Peace,

Hozer11
    I didn't have control of this weight loss. While I initially planned to do it, my LPR and anxiety problems showed up immediately after I created this thread, and forced an involuntary 32 pound loss in 6 weeks.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozer11 View Post

Peace,

Hozer11
    I didn't have control of this weight loss. While I initially planned to do it, my LPR and anxiety problems showed up immediately after I created this thread, and forced an involuntary 32 pound loss in 6 weeks.
    Understood. I guess my point is more in regards to your original weight loss post that started this thread. I would have liked to see you focus more on nutrition and exercise than what your scale says.

As an aside, more and more studies are showing the health (mental and physical) benefits of Ketogenic diets and even carnivore diets. If interested check out Rogan podcasts with Rhonda Patrick, Dom D'agostino and even Jordan Peterson.

If you haven't already please consider kicking soda and OJ.

Good luck in battling your health issues

Peace,

Hozer11

Platinum
    Load Metric
    On a semi-related note, I lost about 20 pounds watching what I ate fairly rigorously over months. Then I gained about 6 pounds back the last 3 days with some holiday excess. Sobering to say the least.

Load Metric
    nice job on the weight loss Druff.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

As 2019 went by, I started eating more and more, and basically returned to a lot of bad habits of eating very large meals and also eating a lot of junk late at night.

My weight rose to 232 by mid-June, just 9 pounds less than my high last year before the uncontrolled rapid weight loss due to the anxiety.

Frustrated by this, when I returned to the WSOP in late June, I did a form of the Intermittent Fasting Diet known as "The Warrior Diet", where basically I ate one huge meal per day and little else the entire time. I also mostly drank water. I came back from the WSOP to find mysef at 225 pounds.

However, this was easier to pull off at the Rio, given that my mind was on tournaments through most of the day (rather than eating), and given that I had very little food in my room.

Once I got home, I returned to crazy eating, and rose back to 232 pounds.

Earlier this month, I decided I was going to return to the Warrior Diet, and now eat almost nothing late at night, which is tough, but I'm managing it. Believe me, I have the urge to go crazy and eat massive amounts of food, but I'm fighting it.

I'm now 224 pounds. The goal is to return to 215, which I think it probably as far as I can get before my body starts fighting it and attempts to stop its own weight loss.

The main motivation I have to lose this weight is the fact that I don't want to toss away the one benefit I received out of the horrible experience last year.

Once I get to 215, I will try to introduce some kind of reasonable medium to where I can eat late at night, but not the large amounts I was before.

Thread Information