Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Climate Change - We’re Fucked

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

Yellowstone Park is a giant volcano that blows every million years or so. When it blows again most of North America will be buried in ash, the sun will be blotted out for years, and the world will enter a massive Ice Age. Given geologic time scales not something I would prioritize over trying to mitigate man-made global climate change, but it is a thing.
    A few minutes of googling, and the distraction you present here is debunked as a credible threat for the foreseeable future. Why? Science, motherfucker. Not the junk science conservotards like to propel into the discussion as a distraction to a sensible conversation about anthropogenic climate change.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ro.../#.W7_ZQCJMGEc
    That article just said the exact same thing I did.

I have a PhD in a hard science. You are a truck driver, but please continue to educate me on how science works.

Mumbles, you are an ideologue. Like all ideologies if you are ever correct on anything it is an accident because you have no capacity for reason and independent thought.

You make up your beliefs ahead of time based on emotion and then scour the web looking for someone that says something you already agree with for confirmation bias. And you have no vetting process at all. That is the opposite of how science works. You may be right every once in a while, but like I said, it is pretty much an accident when it does happen, because the methodology is corrupt.

Comments

SysOp: BOOM roasted

Tellafriend: he's a fool
    Last edited by ErickAA; 10-12-2018 at 06:27 AM.

Load Metric
    You successfully got mumbles to fall for your strawman bait. Well done Dr. Verminard

Texter says climate change won't matter unless science figures out Yellowstone first. Gets called out.

You decide to start babbling on about how the Volcano actually does exist....(not the point)

Comments

limitles: beat me to it rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

A few minutes of googling, and the distraction you present here is debunked as a credible threat for the foreseeable future. Why? Science, motherfucker. Not the junk science conservotards like to propel into the discussion as a distraction to a sensible conversation about anthropogenic climate change.

I have a PhD in a hard science. You are a truck driver, but please continue to educate me on how science works.

Mumbles, you are an ideologue. Like all ideologies if you are ever correct on anything it is an accident because you have no capacity for reason and independent thought.

You make up your beliefs ahead of time based on emotion and then scour the web looking for someone that says something you already agree with for confirmation bias. And you have no vetting process at all. That is the opposite of how science works. You may be right every once in a while, but like I said, it is pretty much an accident when it does happen, because the methodology is corrupt.
    Dude, you're tailing off. Yeah Yellowstone will someday blow. Yeah the Sun will eventually die. Neither of those things are related to the topic at hand which is how we have affected our little blue planet and can we correct the damage we're doing.

And what does being a truck driver have anything to do with anything? What's your occupation. Let everyone know so we can pass judgement.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    You successfully got mumbles to fall for your strawman bait. Well done Dr. Verminard

Texter says climate change won't matter unless science figures out Yellowstone first. Gets called out.

You decide to start babbling on about how the Volcano actually does exist....(not the point)
    Texted probably just saw some special on National Geographic or Science channel about the Yellowstone volcano exploding and the possibility for drilling to relieve the pressure and his imagination went wild. They probably also probably massively oversold the immediate danger, which those type of shows tend to do.

I already acknowledged that. I was just clarifying the Yellowstone is really a supervolcano that will eventually cause an extinction level event (on a scale of thousands to millions of years in the future), and that part of it wasn’t fictional.

Mumbles literally found an article that said the exact same thing as me and used it as “proof” to refute this. Which appears or be a special talent he has.

Comments

SysOp: roast this truck driving googling mongoloid

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Dude, you're tailing off. Yeah Yellowstone will someday blow. Yeah the Sun will eventually die. Neither of those things are related to the topic at hand which is how we have affected our little blue planet and can we correct the damage we're doing.

And what does being a truck driver have anything to do with anything? What's your occupation. Let everyone know so we can pass judgement.
    The point is I found it amusing how he is lecturing me on how science works, and he is completely wrong on top of it.

Nothing wrong with being a truck driver. If we were having a discussion on the best highway roadstops to give glory hole BJs, I would absolutely defer to Mumbles expertise in this subject. But his take in this thread is horrible on many levels, not the least of which is he literally took an article that said identically the same thing I did to use as "evidence" I was wrong.

Comments

MumblesBadly: It’s not a “thing” we could have any means to mitigate even if given a similar “priority” as man-made climate change.

Load Metric
    lol @ Dr. Verminaard trying so hard to convince us of how smart he is...

I absolutely believe that man made climate change is a real thing, but I disagree that "we are fucked." Through different times in Earth's history it has been much hotter and colder than it has today and life persevered. I think most of the current mega fauna and mega flora will not be able to adapt and will go extinct in the wild, but this has happened before. I think Homo sapiens as a species will actually be able to use our technology and our supreme ability of adaptation to get through.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I absolutely believe that man made climate change is a real thing, but I disagree that "we are fucked." Through different times in Earth's history it has been much hotter and colder than it has today and life persevered. I think most of the current mega fauna and mega flora will not be able to adapt and will go extinct in the wild, but this has happened before. I think Homo sapiens as a species will actually be able to use our technology and our supreme ability of adaptation to get through.
    Not really. Anyone who isn't a political ideologue could independently come to the same conclusion reasonably easy. It is political ideology that causes fuzzy thinking on politically charged topics and inhibits the ability to come to obvious conclusions.

Load Metric

Not really. Anyone who isn't a political ideologue could independently come to the same conclusion reasonably easy. It is political ideology that causes fuzzy thinking on politically charged topics and inhibits the ability to come to obvious conclusions.
    http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/

Platinum
    Load Metric

School- Are you Jewish
    verm- Yes Ashkenazi
    School- Do you have your tuition?
    Verm- Yes
    School- What's your major?
    Verm- Neuroscience
    School- Your PhD is in the mail and here's a list of Jewish employers. Enjoy the good life.
    Verm Shalom
    School Shalom

Close? jk but Jewish privilege can't be overstated.
    Last edited by FPS_Russia; 10-12-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Load Metric

You speak confidently but with much ignorance and presumption about my education, formal and otherwise, as well as how I approach thinking about matters. And I chuckle at your touting your “PhD in hard science” as a qualification for speaking intelligently on this subject.

You remind me of a number of fellow PhDs I knew in academia who were phenomenally stubborn in believing incorrect or presumptuous things outside of their field of expertise, especially folks on the extremes of political thinking, both conservatives and liberals. Hell! I knew some who stubbornly held onto wrong ideas even within their discipline because they didn’t like the implications of those ideas about their cherished political idealogies.

And I was one of them for a time, which my own research prompted me to reluctantly abandon, ending my 20+ political love affair with libertarianism. And that severely cooled my academic interest in the field of finance, enough such that I was sick at the notion of continuing in it.

But it did prompt me to develop a healthy respect for how the highly educated can be overly confident about their understanding of topics outside of their field of expertise. And how easily someone who holds a cherished opinion on a topic can be overconfident about the merit of their thinking on it.

And with that notion in mind, Verminaard, please tell me what you think I believe we collectively should do, if anything, to try to address man-made climate change? Because I want to see just how much of an “idealogue” you think I am. Please. Educate us about my beliefs and opinions on this matter with regard to the idealogy you are confident that I subscribe to!

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: too many faggot words

ErickAA: Busy with football today. I'll deal with you later.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post

School- Are you Jewish
    verm- Yes Ashkenazi
    School- Do you have your tuition?
    Verm- Yes
    School- What's your major?
    Verm- Neuroscience
    School- Your PhD is in the mail and here's a list of Jewish employers. Enjoy the good life.
    Verm Shalom
    School Shalom

Close? jk but Jewish privilege can't be overstated.

Exercising my Jewish privilege to break shabbos to remind you what a gigantic faggot you are.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Some of you may know that Mumbles drives bus on the weekend, guess who he ran into?
    None other than Username, small world huh.

Such a sweetheart.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cleatus View Post
    None of you dopes have any influence determining how the world is moving away from fossil fuels.

Wind farms will continue to sprout from Texas to Canada. A pilot windmill project will be installed in Lake Erie outside of Cleveland soon. Lakes Erie and Ontario are best suited for wind power but expect south Lake Michigan to fill up and supply Chicago.

You cannot slow the falling price of solar panels and increasing usage of those panels. Drive towards Laughlin from Vegas and see immense solar farms.

You cannot stop Harley-Davidson from working on the development of an electric cycle.

You cannot stop India from allowing only electric cars to be sold beginning 2030, just 12 years away.

You cannot stop American truck fleets from implementing even the smallest efficiency gadgets ie aeroskirts on trailers.

You cannot convince auto makers to scrap their current inventory of engines and produce circa 60's garbage because that is maga. Belted ply tires offering 30k miles tops are also something you cannot demand. Ditto leaded gasoline.

Go fuck yourselves.
    11/14/18 FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — German automaker Volkswagen will convert three factories in Germany to manufacture electric cars, ramping up production of zero-local emission cars ahead of tougher European emissions standards, the company said Wednesday.
    Wolfsburg-based Volkswagen said Wednesday that it would begin local production of electric-powered vehicles at its facilities in Emden and Hannover in 2022. A plant in Zwickau was designated previously for e-car production.

PS; shitlips red repped original post. "Great another prediction that will never come true." Hey, Tex the Moron. My cousins, those fucken Krauts, are proving your stupidity. Pack your guns, go to Germany, change some minds.
    The reason all workers deserve a living wage is because all workers need to be alive. Not very complex.

Load Metric
    LOL electric cars. If even 20% of the cars in Southern California were electric, recharging them every night would crash the entire electric grid. That is a fact.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Coge

Load Metric
    Verminaard, please tell me what you think I believe we collectively should do, if anything, to try to address man-made climate change? Because I want to see just how much of an “idealogue” you think I am. Please. Educate us about my beliefs and opinions on this matter with regard to the idealogy you are confident that I subscribe to!
    verminaard: Busy with football today. I'll deal with you later.

It’s been over a month. Still waiting for your response.

Name:  77067BCB-8A78-4177-BE7B-7C7489F59BAC.gif
Views: 246
Size:  3.28 MB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    It's snowing again in New York City which means that global warming is an obvious hoax.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Nice creeper photo, Sy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    LOL electric cars. If even 20% of the cars in Southern California were electric, recharging them every night would crash the entire electric grid. That is a fact.
    Not even gonna dispute that. Where did early motorists buy gasoline? One gallon cans available at pharmacies and general stores for cleaning uses, auto dealers, livery and blacksmith shops. Can humans build electric generation and transmission infrastructure sufficient to tomorrows needs. Maybe.

A trip report from you detailing kayaking or rafting the Forks of the Kern or a lower section would be appreciated.
    The reason all workers deserve a living wage is because all workers need to be alive. Not very complex.

Load Metric
    “Unchecked climate change will cost the US hundreds of billions of dollars and damage human health and quality of life, a US government report warns.
    "Future risks from climate change depend... on decisions made today," the 4th National Climate Assessment says.
    The report says climate change is "presenting growing challenges to human health and safety, quality of life, and the rate of economic growth".

This report is striking for two reasons. First, it is not abstract. It gives many specific examples - overwhelmed dams in South Carolina; failing crops in the parched Great Plains; a rise in insect-borne disease in Florida.
    And, secondly, it majors on the economic impact, in effect challenging the White House's insistence on prioritising economic growth over environmental regulation.
    With warnings about the effects on crumbling infrastructure, falling crop yields and decreasing labour productivity, the report sounds an alarm that climate change will soon cascade into every corner of American life.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46325168
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    “Unchecked climate change will cost the US hundreds of billions of dollars and damage human health and quality of life, a US government report warns.
    "Future risks from climate change depend... on decisions made today," the 4th National Climate Assessment says.
    The report says climate change is "presenting growing challenges to human health and safety, quality of life, and the rate of economic growth".

This report is striking for two reasons. First, it is not abstract. It gives many specific examples - overwhelmed dams in South Carolina; failing crops in the parched Great Plains; a rise in insect-borne disease in Florida.
    And, secondly, it majors on the economic impact, in effect challenging the White House's insistence on prioritising economic growth over environmental regulation.
    With warnings about the effects on crumbling infrastructure, falling crop yields and decreasing labour productivity, the report sounds an alarm that climate change will soon cascade into every corner of American life.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46325168
    “The White House said the report - compiled with help from numerous US government agencies and departments - was inaccurate.
    Spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said it was "largely based on the most extreme scenario, which contradicts long-established trends by assuming that... there would be limited technology and innovation, and a rapidly expanding population".”

Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report linked to in this thread is a must read for everyone.
    Even as a firm believer in their message I do not do nearly enough personally to help, hoping that our government will do the right thing.
    Luckily my government has an ear out to the problem but as we know it's not the same everywhere. It's a 33 page report but this article touches on some critical points

"Scientists might want to write in capital letters, 'ACT NOW, IDIOTS,' but they need to say that with facts and numbers," said Kaisa Kosonen, of Greenpeace, who was an observer at the negotiations. "And they have."

The researchers have used these facts and numbers to paint a picture of the world with a dangerous fever, caused by humans. We used to think if we could keep warming below two degrees this century, then the changes we would experience would be manageable.

Not any more. This new study says that going past 1.5C is dicing with the planet's liveability. And the 1.5C temperature "guard rail" could be exceeded in just 12 years, in 2030.

We can stay below it - but it will require urgent, large-scale changes from governments and individuals and we will have to invest a massive pile of cash every year, about 2.5% of global gross domestic product (GDP), the value of all goods and services produced, for two decades.

Even then, we will still need machines, trees and plants to capture carbon from the air that we can then store deep underground - forever.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45775309

Comments

MumblesBadly: Countdown to massive anoxia event?

Thread Information