Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hilarious prank shows how ridiculous the academic left has become

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Not mad about it, but this is proof that the left has as many ridiculous "respected" figures as the right.

That was my point the entire time when criticizing Cohen's show, in that he only tried to make one side of the spectrum look foolish.
    It funny. To me, this showed how academic journals are nonsense far more than some weird political thing.

It wasn't actual professors that accepted these. Nor was it really "academia" that reviewed the papers. They call the journals "prestigious", but don't actually mention them by name. LOL.

List the journals at least.

I mean, they would need to submit shit papers in other fields etc to have some of comparison, to draw any conclusion similar to the one drawn. How do we know that similar things wouldn't be approved at similar rates when not weirdo identity jargon?

Do you see that your conclusions are nonsensical?

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: sorry about my politics

Load Metric
    Does Newsweek’s Leah McGrath Goodman write under the pseudonym Shapiro now?

C’mon Druff

The prank is Newsweek

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post
    Not mad about it, but this is proof that the left has as many ridiculous "respected" figures as the right.

That was my point the entire time when criticizing Cohen's show, in that he only tried to make one side of the spectrum look foolish.
    It funny. To me, this showed how academic journals are nonsense far more than some weird political thing.

It wasn't actual professors that accepted these. Nor was it really "academia" that reviewed the papers. They call the journals "prestigious", but don't actually mention them by name. LOL.

List the journals at least.

I mean, they would need to submit shit papers in other fields etc to have some of comparison, to draw any conclusion similar to the one drawn. How do we know that similar things wouldn't be approved at similar rates when not weirdo identity jargon?

Do you see that your conclusions are nonsensical?
    Donkdowndonemadeagreatpoint

"I mean, they would need to submit shit papers in other fields etc to have some of comparison, to draw any conclusion similar to the one drawn. How do we know that similar things wouldn't be approved at similar rates when not weirdo identity jargon?"

This all day.

I sit on an ethics committee and review research ethics proposals from all sorts of fields. My subjective impression is that the most fucked out proposals come from fields like sociology and women's studies. However, we can only really evaluate the proposals based on whether they pose a risk to the participants or not. We can't really deny ethics clearance if the studies lack scientific rigor. So I know full well the bullshit research that comes from these fields. But this "gotcha study" does not really prove anything. The whole "study" is predicated on the idea that because the papers were published they are viewed as legitimate within their respective fields. However, they fabricated data in the fake studies so as a peer reviewer the studies might actually be viewed as having merit regardless of the leftist language used. You need a comparison condition to demonstrate some kind of bias towards publication of what Druff calls the "academic left."

Comments

MumblesBadly: Understands academia rep

JACKDANIELS: A shrink post

Load Metric
    I am at the point that I could no longer recommend a liberal arts education to a high school grad, even as an academic prequel to law or medical school. The lack of intellectual integrity on most college campuses is incredible. Some kind of independent study involving selected books in a number of different subjects by a trusted academician combined with a volunteer job that involves dealing with the public in order to develop social skills might be a better way to go. Of course, medical and law schools would have to become more flexible in their acceptance standards.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    intellectual/academics whatever you wanna call them are the most useless and least trustworthy people ever

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    I am at the point that I could no longer recommend a liberal arts education to a high school grad, even as an academic prequel to law or medical school. The lack of intellectual integrity on most college campuses is incredible. Some kind of independent study involving selected books in a number of different subjects by a trusted academician combined with a volunteer job that involves dealing with the public in order to develop social skills might be a better way to go. Of course, medical and law schools would have to become more flexible in their acceptance standards.

i think there is a ton of beef in this whopper.

not that it has anything to do with 'intellectual integrity', because that sounds like a collection of words that the borderline mentally handicapped use to make themselves feel better about being unable to be educated.

i think, to the point, that a liberal arts education is perilous for the simple reason that wealth has migrated away from the positions those educations lend themselves to directly. the truth is, if you want to make a lot of money, you better be brilliant at some aspect of finance. the only other option for making ends meet comfortably is tech sector, which requires about a decade of slave-labor in before you can rise above the streetshitters offering to do the job for 1/10th the price and 1/100th the efficiency/quality of one of God's Americans. and of course during that decade, youll be paying off your student loans, rendering you incapable of moving to the areas where that work is most financially rewarding.

good times.

and if youre conservative, forget it, its pretty much finance or law enforcement. those are your options. there are no other cards on the table because the world has simply run out of ditches to dig and no one wants to listen to you whine about how unfair it is that everyone is getting clutch pussy except you because youtube dumped alex jones.

also fun fact; i dropped out of college after a year (liberal arts) so i could focus on exotic drugs and clutch pussy. after about 5 straight years i put away my turntables, bought a decent pair of adult shoes to go with my thrift store slacks and shirts, scammed my way into an extremely entry level job in tech and hustled my way to a reasonably comfortable lifestyle and even a faint hint of career security.

student loans: 0.

liberal arts degree: 0.

i actually do regret not going the finance route, if i could do it all over i really think i would have played that card, simply so i could retire in my late 40s and focus on art and coding AI-driven VR prostitutes. because lets be real, thats all anyone needs to make it through the day with a measure of style.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    My recommendation would be to just lie. Put a liberal arts degree on your resume from some random Big Ten school and be done with it.

1. The vast majority of employers never verify.

2. There is virtually zero difference between someone who obtains a liberal arts degree and one who doesn't.

Comments

sonatine: honestly.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    My recommendation would be to just lie. Put a liberal arts degree on your resume from some random Big Ten school and be done with it.

1. The vast majority of employers never verify.

2. There is virtually zero difference between someone who obtains a liberal arts degree and one who doesn't.
    Yeah, that will work just great for someone interested in working in journalism. Until, that is, some rich asshole on the right who doesn’t like your scathing investigative reports pays to dig up the truth about you resume padding and turns you into an “untouchable” in that field. And I say “on the right” here because rightwingers don’t give a shit about when their “guy” lies about his credentials. #TrumpIsNumberOne(ConArtist)
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Tine, if I estimate correctly, you would have gone in right around the early 90s had you done the finance route. That would be around the time Stratton Oakmont and all of those crooked places operated.

Would you have gone the Boiler Room approach had it been presented?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

not that it has anything to do with 'intellectual integrity', because that sounds like a collection of words that the borderline mentally handicapped use to make themselves feel better about being unable to be educated.

i think, to the point, that a liberal arts education is perilous for the simple reason that wealth has migrated away from the positions those educations lend themselves to directly. the truth is, if you want to make a lot of money, you better be brilliant at some aspect of finance. the only other option for making ends meet comfortably is tech sector, which requires about a decade of slave-labor in before you can rise above the streetshitters offering to do the job for 1/10th the price and 1/100th the efficiency/quality of one of God's Americans. and of course during that decade, youll be paying off your student loans, rendering you incapable of moving to the areas where that work is most financially rewarding.

good times.

and if youre conservative, forget it, its pretty much finance or law enforcement. those are your options. there are no other cards on the table because the world has simply run out of ditches to dig and no one wants to listen to you whine about how unfair it is that everyone is getting clutch pussy except you because youtube dumped alex jones.

also fun fact; i dropped out of college after a year (liberal arts) so i could focus on exotic drugs and clutch pussy. after about 5 straight years i put away my turntables, bought a decent pair of adult shoes to go with my thrift store slacks and shirts, scammed my way into an extremely entry level job in tech and hustled my way to a reasonably comfortable lifestyle and even a faint hint of career security.

i actually do regret not going the finance route, if i could do it all over i really think i would have played that card, simply so i could retire in my late 40s and focus on art and coding AI-driven VR prostitutes. because lets be real, thats all anyone needs to make it through the day with a measure of style.
    props to this, always gotta respect the hustle...

think that's what's missing in this country today...got a bunch of whiners who just want shit handed to them instead of going out and fighting like a motherfucker for it...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Tine, if I estimate correctly, you would have gone in right around the early 90s had you done the finance route. That would be around the time Stratton Oakmont and all of those crooked places operated.

Would you have gone the Boiler Room approach had it been presented?
    was very excited to see that flick when it came out...kinda fell flat for me, but storyline was fucking great...

loved this monologue..."look at the fucking smile on my face, EAR TO EAR BABY!"

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    => Liberal Art: medieval religious scholar Helen Pluckrose
    => Liberal Art: mathematician James Lindsay
    => Liberal Arthilosopher Peter Boghossian

Wonder where these 3 were educated in their liberal arts?
    So you are going to completely ignore the actual point of the post (how absurd the academic left is) to nitpick a phrase that I assume Druff used that was edited out (because I can't find it)?

Sounds about right.

I am sure you will even consider it a "win" on your part completely ignoring the point of the post to nitpick an inconsequential minor detail.

Platinum
    Load Metric

good times.

I think you overestimate your ability to break into the traditional finance world. For the most part it is a complete aristocracy that you are either born into or you are not. They will let a couple black and hispanic kids into an Ivy League school through affirmative action a year, and then give them an affirmative action job in finance at the end, and congratulate themselves on their progressiveness, but in reality this is just a drop in the bucket and for the most part it is a closed world.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    intellectual/academics whatever you wanna call them are the most useless and least trustworthy people ever
    you got a problem with baristas?
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

I think you overestimate your ability to break into the traditional finance world. For the most part it is a complete aristocracy that you are either born into or you are not. They will let a couple black and hispanic kids into an Ivy League school through affirmative action a year, and then give them an affirmative action job in finance at the end, and congratulate themselves on their progressiveness, but in reality this is just a drop in the bucket and for the most part it is a closed world.

i expect youre entirely right here. but finance fascinated me when i was a teenager. i used to really bug out on it. some doors closed to the non-ivy-league types might have opened if i really leaned into it on a personal level but thats obviously conjecture, again you could be entirely correct. its been my experience tho that at the end of the day, if you give a shit and show a positive return in whatever youre doing, things often go well.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric

i expect youre entirely right here. but finance fascinated me when i was a teenager. i used to really bug out on it. some doors closed to the non-ivy-league types might have opened if i really leaned into it on a personal level but thats obviously conjecture, again you could be entirely correct. its been my experience tho that at the end of the day, if you give a shit and show a positive return in whatever youre doing, things often go well.
    Yeah, I am sure you could have gotten a finance degree and gotten into a $60k/yr job and hustled your way into a upper middle class lifestyle, but unless you are truly genius talented (you probably aren't) noone was ever fast tracking you into being a hedge fund manager. Which is fine. It is probably still a better lifestyle then whatever it is you actually chose. I think it is actually something extremely wrong with our society that it has been rigged so that finance is so much more profitable than every other industry.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    => Liberal Art: medieval religious scholar Helen Pluckrose
    => Liberal Art: mathematician James Lindsay
    => Liberal Arthilosopher Peter Boghossian

Wonder where these 3 were educated in their liberal arts?
    So you are going to completely ignore the actual point of the post (how absurd the academic left is) to nitpick a phrase that I assume Druff used that was edited out (because I can't find it)?

Sounds about right.

I am sure you will even consider it a "win" on your part completely ignoring the point of the post to nitpick an inconsequential minor detail.
    The point of the article Druffs post was based on was to attack schools with Liberal Arts Programs (basically all of them).

Ben Shapiro was just counting on all the Tucker Carlson fanboys to assume 'Liberal Arts' has something to do with politics. Druff just swapped out 'Liberal Arts' for 'Academic Left'

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I just skimmed the article. The article is criticizing critical theory and constructivism, which it claims has permeated liberal arts programs as a whole, leading towards the ridiculousness outlined.

The article is fine. I don’t think you understood it completely Is all, mainly because you are incentivized by your ideological beliefs to not understand it.

We move on.

Load Metric
    I just skimmed the article. The article is criticizing critical theory and constructivism, which it claims has permeated liberal arts programs as a whole, leading towards the ridiculousness outlined.

The article is fine. I don’t think you understood it completely Is all, mainly because you are incentivized by your ideological beliefs to not understand it.

We move on.
    My main point is that the conclusion Druff drew from the article is laughable.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    the dog humping study was my fav
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Thread Information