Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hilarious prank shows how ridiculous the academic left has become

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Hilarious prank shows how ridiculous the academic left has become

Check out this article: https://www.newsweek.com/ben-shapiro...t-care-1155013

Three professors, medieval religious scholar Helen Pluckrose, author and mathematician James Lindsay, and philosopher Peter Boghossian, submitted intentionally absurd academic papers for publishing in prestigious academic journals.

Of the 20 they submitted, 35% of them (seven) were accepted for publication!

How ridiculous were they?

Here were some of the papers:

"Going In Through The Back Door: Challenging The Straight Male Homohysteria, Transhysteria and Transphobia Through Receptive Penetrative Sex Toy Use" (a paper claiming that straight men need to be anally penetrated in order to better understand the plight of gays and trans people).

"Human Reactions To Rape Culture And Queer Performativity At Urban Dog Parks In Portland, Oregon" (a paper claiming that people seeing dogs having sex at public parks causes both the desire to rape and the dismissal of queer culture).

"Who Are They To Judge?: Overcoming Anthropometry and a Framework for Fat" (a paper making the case that "fat bodybuilding" should be a thing).

"An Ethnography of Breastaurant Masculinity: Themes of Objectification, Sexual Conquest, Male Control, and Masculine Toughness in a Sexually Objectifying Restaurant" (a paper about why men visit Hooters).

These professors submitted the papers in order to prove that academia has become so out of touch and victim-obsessed, that any paper vilifying heterosexual white males will be accepted, no matter how absurd.

Perhaps the funniest part was that the three authors of these hoax papers were "asked to peer-review other papers based on the expertise they displayed in their academic papers."

Load Metric
    You do realize "liberal arts" doesn't have anything to do with political view... Math and Science are "liberal arts".

Still mad about this?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not mad about it, but this is proof that the left has as many ridiculous "respected" figures as the right.

That was my point the entire time when criticizing Cohen's show, in that he only tried to make one side of the spectrum look foolish.

Load Metric
    BITE EM BACK TODGEALINO

Load Metric
    not knowing what liberal arts means is almost as great as having no idea this was a documented issue going back like decades while falling for the deliberate 'vilifying white males' alt-right clickbait.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    => Liberal Art: medieval religious scholar Helen Pluckrose
    => Liberal Art: mathematician James Lindsay
    => Liberal Arthilosopher Peter Boghossian

Wonder where these 3 were educated in their liberal arts?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Even video games are banning the white man.
    legit lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    You do realize "liberal arts" doesn't have anything to do with political view... Math and Science are "liberal arts".
    Yes, I know what liberal arts are.

Why are you commenting on this? My post said nothing about liberal arts. I know they were mentioned in Shaprio's article I linked, but that's not really the important issue here.

The important issue is that intentionally absurd articles like this are happily accepted by the political left in academia, provided they are accusatory toward the correct villain group.

Load Metric
    They literally got Mein Kampf published.

So, you know, I can't even hate.

Comments

KidPresentable: Goodness you're awful.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    One of the papers, “Our Struggle is My Struggle: Solidarity Feminism as an Intersectional Reply to Neoliberal and Choice,” was written under the alias Maria Gonzalez, PhD, who claimed to be based out of the fictitious Feminist Activist Collective for Truth (FACT).

According to the real-life authors, “The last two-thirds of this paper is based upon a rewriting of roughly 3,600 words of Chapter 12 of Volume 1 of ‘Mein Kampf,’ by Adolf Hitler, though it diverges significantly from the original. This chapter is the one in which Hitler lays out in a multi-point plan which we partially reproduced why the Nazi party is needed and what it requires of its members.”

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A more detailed writeup, from devidee's favorite site, The Times of Israel: https://www.timesofisrael.com/duped-...ist-manifesto/

Load Metric
    fps_russia, is this true?

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    fps russia is literally the heart and soul of this website

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Why are you commenting on this? My post said nothing about liberal arts. I know they were mentioned in Shaprio's article I linked, but that's not really the important issue here.

The important issue is that intentionally absurd articles like this are happily accepted by the political left in academia, provided they are accusatory toward the correct villain group.
    Mentioned? It's the title of the article. Is not 'Academic Left' your way of saying 'Liberal Arts'? And if not, wtf is 'Academic Left' (or more importantly, is there such a thing as 'Academic Right')

Name:  9fb920788147973dcfe7978619918b41.png
Views: 368
Size:  42.8 KB

Load Metric
    is there such a thing as 'Academic Right'

sunday school.

Comments

duped_samaritan: 5/5

Sanlmar: god damn

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Mentioned? It's the title of the article. Is not 'Academic Left' your way of saying 'Liberal Arts'? And if not, wtf is 'Academic Left' (or more importantly, is there such a thing as 'Academic Right')

So you're putting words in my mouth now?

The title of the article said "Liberal Arts colleges", not that this was a representation of liberal arts.

Academic left refers to the portion of the left associated with academia.

Load Metric

So you're putting words in my mouth now?

The title of the article said "Liberal Arts colleges", not that this was a representation of liberal arts.

Academic left refers to the portion of the left associated with academia.
    More like you're putting words in Ben Shapiros mouth.

I was assuming your point was somehow related to the article your post was based on.

Nothing about 'academic left' anywhere. The guy is clearly attacking 'college liberal arts programs'. All of them. If you didn't gather that from the title, try reading the conclusion.

The authors of this latest hoax have done a real service to those in the general public who still believe that college liberal arts programs search for knowledge rather than reveling in power dynamics. Now the only question is whether parents and students will call for true power to be restored to those who wish to redirect education away from navel-gazing mental masturbation and toward a renewed intellectual search for knowledge.
    Also why the hell isn't a single actual University or any of these "world’s finest academic journals" mentioned?
    Edit: Never mind that last part, apparently the Israel Times article has more details...

Comments

MumblesBadly: Boom!
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 10-07-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Oh the founding father of Israel (transfer agreement). Yea i believe it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Oh the founding father of Israel (transfer agreement). Yea i believe it.

story checks out folks.

Gold
    Load Metric
    i was told there was a hilarious prank in this thread...

Thread Information