Thread: Mavs Hire Bob To Lead Quant Department

Platinum
    Load Metric

Mavs Hire Bob To Lead Quant Department

Real shocker that Cuban would be the one to do this...Sure San will love this one...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ch-development

Comments

Sanlmar: Great catch

Load Metric
    Snap reaction was that I will lose his contentious attitude....

But then I realized he works for Cuban.

Good for him.

I believe he recently finished building a house in Monaco and he takes a job in Dallas.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 10-04-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Snap reaction was that I will lose his contentious attitude....

But then I realized he works for Cuban.

Good for him.

I believe he recently finished building a house in Monaco and he takes a job in Dallas.
    man what a fucking life...pretty impressive rise...think he was grinding low limit hold 'em in Calgary or some shit like that pre-boom and now he's got all this...

still trying to figure out how this is gonna actually function...like is he doing this shit in real time or doing post game analysis...doesn't seem like it meshes up very well with an old school guy like Carlisle...

Load Metric
    I can’t see it in a traditional quant way.

If I owned a $2b business and there existed a guy who took himself from low limit in Calgary to doing his own models years ago ... idk, I’d put Harlolbob in my orbit and see what he might spin up

Like anything. Engage NBA bettors with the franchise in some way, for instance... attendance shit.

Harolobob is a sharp guy, an original thinker and will probably work for free.

It’s a good freeroll for Cuban

Load Metric

Load Metric
    In other NBA news

Jason Collins looks to future as Lakers celebrate their first Pride Night

Gold
    Load Metric
    Bob is full of shit. He made his money owning all or pieces of offshore gambling sites. You can't even bet 10k on a basketball game in Vegas. Where did he bet? With some greaseball bookie?

Load Metric

Bob started his "gambling career" with a big futures bet on the Lakers back in the 1990's?

Sure, he has made good money betting big on basketball, investing and being an agent for certain offshore sports betting websites.

And of course, Bob lost a lot of money when he thought it was a great idea to take action from professional poker player Erick Lindgren.

Even with Bob's expertise, it still won't help the Mavs win.

For years, Voulgaris made a living betting on NBA games, successfully wagering based on his research and information. Voulgaris is known for his deep analytics and expertise on coaching strategy and tendencies of individual referees.
    Bob (Haralabos Voulgaris) will now subscribe to the Mark Cuban philosophy of thinking.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

Bob started his "gambling career" with a big futures bet on the Lakers back in the 1990's?

Sure, he has made good money betting big on basketball, investing and being an agent for certain offshore sports betting websites.

And of course, Bob lost a lot of money when he thought it was a great idea to take action from professional poker player Erick Lindgren.

Even with Bob's expertise, it still won't help the Mavs win.

For years, Voulgaris made a living betting on NBA games, successfully wagering based on his research and information. Voulgaris is known for his deep analytics and expertise on coaching strategy and tendencies of individual referees.
    Bob (Haralabos Voulgaris) will now subscribe to the Mark Cuban philosophy of thinking.

As others have intimated, I am guessing Bob made his money booking action from degen poker players. I am guessing he was booking Lindgren and the money he “lost” was the money Lindgren owed him when Full Tilt went down and Lindgren went Busto. I am sure he finished well in the black with with Lindgren overall, possibly 7 digits even after getting stiffed at the end.

Bob is one of the better guests on Simmons podcast and has good chemistry with Simmons. I wonder why he toook this job. I doubt it is for the $100k (or whatever) he is going to make. I am sure he intends to leverage this into something more.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I wonder why he took this job.
    Because his long-stated dream job is working for an NBA team.

Comments

Sanlmar: Yup, 100% vanity

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I wonder why he took this job.
    Because his long-stated dream job is working for an NBA team.
    Bingo...I think this is his end game...don't know how old he is, guessing around early 40s, but if he's got a house in Monaco he's obviously got more money than he's ever gonna need so might the hell as well do something you've always wanted to do...

and if he ran a long con about his real edge in betting, then more props to him for turning it into an NBA gig...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    Bob is full of shit. He made his money owning all or pieces of offshore gambling sites. You can't even bet 10k on a basketball game in Vegas. Where did he bet? With some greaseball bookie?
    Bob has talked in detail about how he used runners. It was interesting

There was an interesting anecdote about how someone hacked his computers and were front running his bets. Apparently someone thought his ideas were worth stealing. Theft was the highest praise.

Obviously, he sent a bogus message out to his runners and instantly the lines moved. Kinda cool.

I recall the MIT Sloan gambling conference. He was easily the brightest guy on stage and just.made the Cantor Gaming guy look like a fool.

Haralobob has a cocky “this is what I think and I really don’t give enough of a fuck to really try to sell you on my ideas” attitude. You end up listening in a rapt way cause he ain’t gonna repeat it twice.

He has talked about losing. He makes no bones about bad years. His action was pretty public so there wasn’t much point in lying. The trail of evidence about his success and failure is pretty pure.

I don’t love his money or success as much as I do his manner of speaking and attitude
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 10-05-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    Bob has talked in detail about how he used runners. It was interesting

There was an interesting anecdote about how someone hacked his computers and were front running his bets. Apparently someone thought his ideas were worth stealing. Theft was the highest praise.

Obviously, he sent a bogus message out to his runners and instantly the lines moved. Kinda cool.

I recall the MIT Sloan gambling conference. He was easily the brightest guy on stage and just.made the Cantor Gaming guy look like a fool.

Haralobob has a cocky “this is what I think and I really don’t give enough of a fuck to really try to sell you on my ideas” attitude. You end up listening in a rapt way cause he ain’t gonna repeat it twice.

He has talked about losing. He makes no bones about bad years. His action was pretty public so there wasn’t much point in lying. The trail of evidence about his success and failure is pretty pure.

I don’t love his money or success as much as I do his manner of speaking and attitude
    Agree with this. Bob says more in a 14 word tweet than most sportsguys do in a column.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Load Metric
    Mark Herberholz

This kid and his story gave me an interesting snapshot into a couple of things that interest me. Pinnacle, Live Wagering, Harolobob & The Price is Right.

Name:  1192422C-B7A1-42C7-98CE-D0791D729FC8.png
Views: 225
Size:  592.2 KB

There is a guy who is crushing Pinnacle sports. Instead of banhammering the sharp, Pinnacle hires him. This guy does great and Pinnacle asks him if he can recommend anyone else.

So the sharp is a Magic the Gathering player and he recommends Magic kids including Herberholz.

Couple inside Pinnacle stories. I found this video interesting in a subtle way

As a funny aside, Herberholz games The Price is Right in Ken Scalir fashion. I don’t know if video is entertaining. Did not watch but there ya go.

Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-08-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Load Metric
    So there is a woman who has been flirting with me. We will call her Talia because that’s her name. I don’t know why and my life is complicated enough.

She knows modeling. Quite good looking.

Had a long conversation the other night and it’s really hammered home something I have known intuitively but now I am filled with some regret.

Talia studied marine biology. 12 years of school. Woods Hole on the Cape. Specialized in Lobsters. She’s all about the oceans and nature.

Unfortunately, she wanted a life and a family and that would require a living wage.

One of the things she studied and used was math modeling. So she sells out and gets a job with Fidelity. I ask her if she is involved with the futures market. Are there lobster price futures?

Nope, math modeling is math modeling. The inputs may be different. She does analysis for their technology dept. Nothing to do with lobsters. She had a boyfriend who had a PhD and specialized in Cod (fish). He went to Fidelity too.

We will get past how the big financial houses suck all of the smart people into a useless endeavor like taking the vig on your 401k. Contributing absolutely nothing to society.

What gets me is that kids like Mark Herberholz and Talia rule the today’s world because of some math skills. Game theory modeling or lobsters.

Herberholz and Harolobob will just roll from one interesting endeavor to another.

Kinda wish I had that game.

Oh well, I can always get some strange.

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: LOL/Get Some Strange Rep

Thread Information