Thread: Vontae Davis - FUCK IT I'M DONE

Platinum
    Load Metric

Vontae Davis - FUCK IT I'M DONE

Figure this deserved its own thread...Like John Kruk singling in his last at bat and then retiring and the chick from Alaska going on TV and saying 'fuck it i'm done', we have Vontae Davis CB for the Bills...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...geles-chargers

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills cornerback Vontae Davis abruptly retired at halftime of Sunday's 31-20 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers, saying in a statement that the reality had hit him: "I shouldn't be out there anymore."

Davis, a 10-year veteran, said he meant no disrespect to his teammates and coaches, but that physically, he could no longer play at the standard he set for himself.

"[He] pulled himself out of the game," coach Sean McDermott said. "He communicated to us that he was done."

Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander alerted reporters to Davis' abrupt retirement after the game.

"I never have seen that," Alexander said. "Pop Warner, high school, pros. Never heard of it. Never seen it. It's just completely disrespectful to his teammates. ... He didn't say nothing to nobody. I found out going into the second half of the game. They said he's not coming out, he retired. That's it."

After the game, Davis released a statement on Instagram.

He talked about the physical toll of the game and said that while he was on the field Sunday, he didn't feel right and wondered if he wanted to keep going.

"And truthfully, I do not because the season is long, and it's more important for me and my family to walk away healthy than to willfully embrace the warrior mentality and limp away too late," he said in the statement.

"This was an overwhelming decision, but I'm at peace with myself and my family."

Davis started Sunday's game but was not seen on the field or on the sideline in the second half. The Bills trailed 28-6 at halftime.

"I don't have nothing to say about Vontae," Alexander said after the game. "I'm going to give him a little bit more respect than he showed us today, as far as quitting on us in the middle of the game."

Davis, 30, was a healthy scratch for the Bills' regular-season opener in favor of Phillip Gaines, who started the Bills' 47-3 loss in Week 1 to the Baltimore Ravens. Gaines played nickel cornerback for the Bills on Sunday after an injury to rookie Taron Johnson in the season opener.

The Bills signed Davis to a one-year deal in February that included a $2.25 million base salary and a $1.5 million signing bonus. Of his base salary, $2 million is fully guaranteed. He also was due roster bonuses of $15,625 per game on the 53-man roster and $46,876 per game on the 46-man game-day roster.

McDermott, talking about how he will address Davis' departure moving forward, said, "When I get back in here, we'll continue to communicate on what exactly is going on there and we'll go from there."

In other defensive developments, McDermott took over playcalling duties from defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier in the second half of Sunday's game.

"I just felt like we needed a spark," McDermott said. "That's my background. Coach Frazier does a really good job, as well as the defensive staff. I just felt like we needed to start."
    McDermott said he would evaluate the playcalling situation and "a lot of other things" after the loss.

The Bills trailed 28-6 at halftime. The Chargers gained 284 yards in the first half, the most the Bills have allowed before halftime since 2013.

Buffalo allowed only three second-half points to the Chargers after McDermott took over playcalling duties.

"I didn't change all that much, honestly," McDermott said. "I thought the defense played with a lot of energy in the second half. I'll give the players credit: They battled. ... It was almost the tale of two halves. I thought we battled and played some Buffalo Bill football at times in the second half, at times. Not enough, still. But in the first half, no way was that good enough."
    McDermott hired Frazier as his defensive coordinator upon being hired as Bills coach in 2017. Frazier served as the Minnesota Vikings' coach from 2010 through 2013.

"Sean has been a defensive coordinator in his career," Alexander said. "He's the head coach, and he felt the need that he needs to step in. That's his prerogative as the head coach. He has that freedom to do it. Obviously, Leslie is not a prideful guy. He'll step aside, and we'll go back to work next week. I don't think there's going to be any issue there with that, just understanding who Leslie is and what he's all about. He's all about winning. If Sean felt like he needed to do that, he did it."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    'fuck it i'm done'

lol

Comments

MumblesBadly: Need an emotiGIF for this ASAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Cet brain deterioration of the brain from too many hits is real. Aaron Hernandez brain was fount to be defected from a normal brain .Davis decided he was done and didn't want to go through the motions of stealing a paycheck by not giving it his all.

Load Metric
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    For all the shit this guy is taking he’s probably the smartest guy in the room.

He’s made over $45M in his career. He’s playing on a one year $3.5M contract. Nobody else was really kicking down his door and Buffalo only signed him as a one year fill with some semblance of veteran presence.

This Buffalo team SUCKS. My personal pick to select 1 in the draft.

He’s a multi millionaire who is living in Buffalo. Marshawn Lynch went to Applebee’s every day because it was the hot spot in town. We are 1.5 months away from it looking like the opening scene of The Empire Strikes Back.

If this was my last year and I had 50+ M in the bank and I could start my retirement of traveling the world and spending my winters in Auruba 3 months early then fuck it, I’m out of there too.

Comments

Sanlmar: Applebees - thread closed

nunbeater: empire strikes back rep

LegalizeMeth: could have at least done it after the game cmon now

Load Metric

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Still one my all ATFs

dwai: Fuck. This is fucking terrible. He seemed to be doing ok last I saw him. Shocked and now starting to cry. A great guy he was. Fuck

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Millennials gonna millennial

Comments

Username: 110% correct
    #ToddsPlan

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

He’s made over $45M in his career. He’s playing on a one year $3.5M contract. Nobody else was really kicking down his door and Buffalo only signed him as a one year fill with some semblance of veteran presence.

He’s a multi millionaire who is living in Buffalo. Marshawn Lynch went to Applebee’s every day because it was the hot spot in town. We are 1.5 months away from it looking like the opening scene of The Empire Strikes Back.

If this was my last year and I had 50+ M in the bank and I could start my retirement of traveling the world and spending my winters in Auruba 3 months early then fuck it, I’m out of there too.
    I hope he has some money saved, but I doubt it. Dude was on the Dolphins season Hard Knocks a few years ago and seemed like he had the emotional maturity of a 10 year old. Not in an asshole way, but literally it seemed he was a 10 year old trapped in a man's body. More likely that last $3.5M would have been something he will really need at some point, but he just couldn't take going through the grind of a season with this garbage team to get it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Figure this deserved its own thread...Like John Kruk singling in his last at bat and then retiring and the chick from Alaska going on TV and saying 'fuck it i'm done', we have Vontae Davis CB for the Bills...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...geles-chargers

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills cornerback Vontae Davis abruptly retired at halftime of Sunday's 31-20 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers, saying in a statement that the reality had hit him: "I shouldn't be out there anymore."

Davis, a 10-year veteran, said he meant no disrespect to his teammates and coaches, but that physically, he could no longer play at the standard he set for himself.

"[He] pulled himself out of the game," coach Sean McDermott said. "He communicated to us that he was done."

Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander alerted reporters to Davis' abrupt retirement after the game.

"I never have seen that," Alexander said. "Pop Warner, high school, pros. Never heard of it. Never seen it. It's just completely disrespectful to his teammates. ... He didn't say nothing to nobody. I found out going into the second half of the game. They said he's not coming out, he retired. That's it."

After the game, Davis released a statement on Instagram.

He talked about the physical toll of the game and said that while he was on the field Sunday, he didn't feel right and wondered if he wanted to keep going.

"And truthfully, I do not because the season is long, and it's more important for me and my family to walk away healthy than to willfully embrace the warrior mentality and limp away too late," he said in the statement.

"This was an overwhelming decision, but I'm at peace with myself and my family."

Davis started Sunday's game but was not seen on the field or on the sideline in the second half. The Bills trailed 28-6 at halftime.

"I don't have nothing to say about Vontae," Alexander said after the game. "I'm going to give him a little bit more respect than he showed us today, as far as quitting on us in the middle of the game."

Davis, 30, was a healthy scratch for the Bills' regular-season opener in favor of Phillip Gaines, who started the Bills' 47-3 loss in Week 1 to the Baltimore Ravens. Gaines played nickel cornerback for the Bills on Sunday after an injury to rookie Taron Johnson in the season opener.

The Bills signed Davis to a one-year deal in February that included a $2.25 million base salary and a $1.5 million signing bonus. Of his base salary, $2 million is fully guaranteed. He also was due roster bonuses of $15,625 per game on the 53-man roster and $46,876 per game on the 46-man game-day roster.

McDermott, talking about how he will address Davis' departure moving forward, said, "When I get back in here, we'll continue to communicate on what exactly is going on there and we'll go from there."

In other defensive developments, McDermott took over playcalling duties from defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier in the second half of Sunday's game.

"I just felt like we needed a spark," McDermott said. "That's my background. Coach Frazier does a really good job, as well as the defensive staff. I just felt like we needed to start."
    McDermott said he would evaluate the playcalling situation and "a lot of other things" after the loss.

The Bills trailed 28-6 at halftime. The Chargers gained 284 yards in the first half, the most the Bills have allowed before halftime since 2013.

Buffalo allowed only three second-half points to the Chargers after McDermott took over playcalling duties.

"I didn't change all that much, honestly," McDermott said. "I thought the defense played with a lot of energy in the second half. I'll give the players credit: They battled. ... It was almost the tale of two halves. I thought we battled and played some Buffalo Bill football at times in the second half, at times. Not enough, still. But in the first half, no way was that good enough."
    McDermott hired Frazier as his defensive coordinator upon being hired as Bills coach in 2017. Frazier served as the Minnesota Vikings' coach from 2010 through 2013.

"Sean has been a defensive coordinator in his career," Alexander said. "He's the head coach, and he felt the need that he needs to step in. That's his prerogative as the head coach. He has that freedom to do it. Obviously, Leslie is not a prideful guy. He'll step aside, and we'll go back to work next week. I don't think there's going to be any issue there with that, just understanding who Leslie is and what he's all about. He's all about winning. If Sean felt like he needed to do that, he did it."

...these dramatic exits never really seem to stick....

right, draymond?

I am, personally a huge fan of this tactic/move.

Here is why: there are no bad results. Either you have the "fuck it, I am done tantrum," and you walk away knowing you what you felt you needed to do and people around you understand and accept your gumption or, you alternatively - they value you enough immediately negotiate the terms of your return.

Middle aged, overpaid, mediocre athletes who grew up in the ghetto and, who, at best would have otherwise been working at Wegman's meat counter or, if, educated in any way - selling mortgages at Quicken Loans seem to all go through this at some point mid career. They have no idea how good they have it and how the daily grind really feels They come to the realization that they've already peaked as athletes, have little relevancy in the NFL off the field unless arrested for domestic violence, drugs, weapons, etc. Panic over being stuck in mediocrity and irrelevancy takes over - the result is this type of temper tantrum. Either the team talks him down and he changes his mind or if he has conviction - he really walks away. Either way - this episode sprung him straight from mediocrity and right into that, "fuck it, I am out - guy."

Its a strong move - I like it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Here are some of the NBA's Greatest Hits. Latrell Sprewell did it best.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2012/...-players-broke

Latrell Sprewell is GOD.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

I agree with your thoughts here except for one element. I do not get the approval of his action. The cavalier attitude to a selfish act is kind of scary.
    He quit at halftime. You can't finish the game? If he made this decision after the game then best wishes to you. I love how the current political climate is America first. The real climate is me first. You start something you finish it.

Thread Information