Thread: Are you ready for the 2018 hurricane season? Apparently, North Carolina isn’t (due to climate change-denying Republicans there)

Load Metric

Are you ready for the 2018 hurricane season? Apparently, North Carolina isn’t (due to climate change-denying Republicans there)

Back in 2012, the brilliant GOP leaders of North Carolina’s state government pushed through a bill to outlaw state and local planners from using up-to-date data on sea levels as part of a concerted effect to prevent official discussion of the possibility of man-made climate change.

Name:  561BB338-37D4-484A-82FE-F5E03B875DCB.jpeg
Views: 602
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  B7872B04-43F6-42A9-9255-91DD1BFA3587.jpeg
Views: 594
Size:  95.6 KB

And that has hampered those officials to effectively plan for higher storm surges, such as occur during hurricanes.

Name:  60031E15-1000-4C90-9DFB-A1A0A6701163.jpeg
Views: 542
Size:  86.2 KB

I’m wondering who they will blame if a surge wreaks utter havoc there that could have been mitigated with proper non-politicized planning?.

Name:  13A41DF4-201C-4E1D-B02B-1A5689BDD552.jpeg
Views: 533
Size:  96.3 KB

Full article:
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0162f4731da0e

Comments

Mintjewlips: Clean your nails

dwai: sonatine level thread. DEAD WRONG PER USUAL. go kiss your lover boy beto O'Rourke, as well as desperately long for sonatine's admiration libtard fag

Load Metric
    Don't worry, they're white. They'll get loads of immediate help from Trump and the federal government they hate so much, and Puerto Rico will still be waiting for theirs.

Comments

Tellafriend: did you pass the bar?

MumblesBadly: Does Tellatard ever pass a bar he doesn’t like?

sah_24: Maybe Puerto Rico should stop leaving it all sitting at airports and rotting away ... scumbag

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: North Carolina 71 percent white, Puerto Rico 75 percent white

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Back in 2012, the brilliant GOP leaders of North Carolina’s state government pushed through a bill to outlaw state and local planners from using up-to-date data on sea levels as part of a concerted effect to prevent official discussion of the possibility of man-made climate change.

Name:  561BB338-37D4-484A-82FE-F5E03B875DCB.jpeg
Views: 602
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  B7872B04-43F6-42A9-9255-91DD1BFA3587.jpeg
Views: 594
Size:  95.6 KB

And that has hampered those officials to effectively plan for higher storm surges, such as occur during hurricanes.

Name:  60031E15-1000-4C90-9DFB-A1A0A6701163.jpeg
Views: 542
Size:  86.2 KB

I’m wondering who they will blame if a surge wreaks utter havoc there that could have been mitigated with proper non-politicized planning?.

Name:  13A41DF4-201C-4E1D-B02B-1A5689BDD552.jpeg
Views: 533
Size:  96.3 KB

Full article:
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0162f4731da0e
    You do realize while the GOP has control of the General Assembly in fact NC has a Democrat Gov and LTG for awhile now again.. Hell NC didn't even go Red as a Legislature until about a decade ago before that the Dems controlled the Gen Assembly for over 100yrs.. So those officials higher up, who failed to act, work for Roy Moore whos the Democratic Gov of NC so might want to slow your roll.. If you blame Trump for Puerto Rico (Despite the fact Obama sending close to a 100Million to PR to fix the clusterfuck their electric grid had become before Maria hit), then you have to blame the Donkey Dem Governor of NC for the same ineptitude and shitty leadership.. Cant have it both ways folks..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Looks like Myrtle Beach is going to get a direct hit.

Load Metric
    Nothing to see here, looks perfectly quiet...

Name:  fpt.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  375.8 KB

It's a former Coast Guard light tower, that became a hotel...

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  384.9 KB

OK, maybe not quite...here's a live view from right here...THAT SOUND IS POSITIVELY HORRIFYING...

Comments

Tellafriend: Awesome find

Load Metric
    Haha, these fuckers reporting on the now *storm* have zero shame.

They've spent millions putting crew on the ground expecting a Cat-4/5 and they just can't admit it was all a damp squib.

Comments

splitthis: Damp squib rep

sah_24: damn it you beat to posting it luls

limitles: this is really sad considering the times...in hindsight he looks like he's putting it on
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    You do realize while the GOP has control of the General Assembly in fact NC has a Democrat Gov and LTG for awhile now again.. Hell NC didn't even go Red as a Legislature until about a decade ago before that the Dems controlled the Gen Assembly for over 100yrs.. So those officials higher up, who failed to act, work for Roy Moore whos the Democratic Gov of NC so might want to slow your roll.. If you blame Trump for Puerto Rico (Despite the fact Obama sending close to a 100Million to PR to fix the clusterfuck their electric grid had become before Maria hit), then you have to blame the Donkey Dem Governor of NC for the same ineptitude and shitty leadership.. Cant have it both ways folks..
    It’s true that the NC’s Dem governor at the time (Perdue) didn’t sign the bill, but also didn’t veto it. So there was definitely a lack of backbone by her to stand against the stupidity that her Dem Party colleagues in the GA generally tried to fight. Not sure why she did so, but there was a lot of business and property owner money backing that bill. So, maybe like how Hillary was conveniently absent from Congress when the very-friendly-to-big-banks GOP-backed bankruptcy ‘reform’ bill in the early-mid 2000s, she wanted to avoid angering some very wealthy special interest groups by actively opposing it.

http://blogs.cuit.columbia.edu/culr/...l-819/#_ftnref
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Pics showing some of the flooding from Hurricane Florence as of yesterday.

Name:  307C6ADB-0603-4BC7-86E7-2D358614B813.jpeg
Views: 315
Size:  92.3 KB
    Name:  0DA16181-E250-4555-AA1B-C4282A33BA5E.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  06B04C90-5F11-4D3E-8FA8-67A72E63047C.jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  98.0 KB
    Name:  782D0F42-04BE-41E5-9C6F-F683AC2BA65C.jpeg
Views: 308
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  BA9E2603-3341-492C-A227-7FBF9C0B3B5B.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  66.8 KB
    Name:  AF17584D-8998-43A2-90B4-1D216AE3A584.jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  76.7 KB

Source:
    Then and Now: See Hurricane Florence’s Path of Destruction - The Wall Street Journal
    https://apple.news/ACprQO1YXQ3yv78foss115w
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Been following Florence’s path over the past fews days using The Weather Channel app, and got super concerned that the flooding in that region would get really bad because it slowed way down, just like how Harvey did near Houston.

Here’s a radar map of the area from early Friday morning, and Florence had already slowed down by then:

Name:  BAEEC1F4-6D0C-4D4F-88F6-058B322C2D33.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  60.5 KB

And one from early yesterday (Saturday):

Name:  FA2B642E-46D5-471D-8FF8-799B350D5AC7.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  116.5 KB

And from just know, with some places in North Carolina still getting heavy rain.

Name:  DEAD1EF1-D2C3-4B02-B75C-B3837826409E.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  214.4 KB

Which is probably why this news article from a few hours ago isn’t all that surprising.

'Wherever you live in North Carolina, be alert for sudden flooding,' Gov. Cooper warns
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rt/1332725002/

Name:  E392F246-11EE-4FD2-A7DD-4E2E7EF7CA83.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  156.3 KB

Load Metric
    I'm sure Republicans will start taking climate change seriously now.

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL!

sah_24: Luls ya never had hurricanes before ... hall of fame libtard

dwai: Fuck. This is fucking terrible. He seemed to be doing ok last I saw him. Shocked and now starting to cry. A great guy he was. Fuck

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    I'm sure Republicans will start taking climate change seriously now.
    Like sah_24 said, “You never hear of hurricanes before?” Yeah, they’re now a little stronger, or wetter, or cause more flooding...

Rivers, death toll and environmental hazards still rising in Carolinas as flooding sets records
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...5d_story.html?

But, it’s surely part of God’s plan. Perhaps to rid North Carolina of filth.

In a number of locations in eastern North Carolina, the *sewer- and drinking-water systems have been damaged or overwhelmed.

“We do have observed releases of wastewater from manholes, from overtopped sewer areas in the impacted zone,” Reggie Cheatham, the Environmental Protection Agency’s director of emergency management, said in a teleconference with reporters.

Cheatham said the wastewater treatment system in Jacksonville, N.C., which experienced storm surge during Florence’s landfall on Friday morning, suffered a “catastrophic” failure.

“They basically had to deal with the storm surge, loss of power, and obviously shut down pumps, and the system completely depressurized, and they haven’t been able to bring that back up,” he said.
    Because North Carolina still let’s those fake “trans” people use whatever bathroom they want. Right, sah_24?

P.S. The Washington Post is making viewing this article free to all given this emergency. Maybe that was God’s intent given how evil newspaper paywalls are.

Comments

sah_24: Hugo and Andrew ... all of 5 mins of research proves that these hurricanes are much weaker than ones in the 90s ... learn what inflation is #liberalismisamentaldisorder
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 09-17-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Like sah_24 said, “You never hear of hurricanes before?” Yeah, they’re now a little stronger, or wetter, or cause more flooding...

Rivers, death toll and environmental hazards still rising in Carolinas as flooding sets records
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...5d_story.html?

But, it’s surely part of God’s plan. Perhaps to rid North Carolina of filth.

In a number of locations in eastern North Carolina, the *sewer- and drinking-water systems have been damaged or overwhelmed.

“We do have observed releases of wastewater from manholes, from overtopped sewer areas in the impacted zone,” Reggie Cheatham, the Environmental Protection Agency’s director of emergency management, said in a teleconference with reporters.

Cheatham said the wastewater treatment system in Jacksonville, N.C., which experienced storm surge during Florence’s landfall on Friday morning, suffered a “catastrophic” failure.

“They basically had to deal with the storm surge, loss of power, and obviously shut down pumps, and the system completely depressurized, and they haven’t been able to bring that back up,” he said.
    Because North Carolina still let’s those fake “trans” people use whatever bathroom they want. Right, sah_24?

P.S. The Washington Post is making viewing this article free to all given this emergency. Maybe that was God’s intent given how evil newspaper paywalls are.
    In other words, red states are full of shit.

Comments

sah_24: Luls god you are stupid fuck ... go fake more cancer faggot

dwai: Fuck. This is fucking terrible. He seemed to be doing ok last I saw him. Shocked and now starting to cry. A great guy he was. Fuck

Load Metric
    Oh, the farmanity!

Florence kills 5,500 pigs and 3.4 million chickens. The numbers are expected to rise. - The Charlotte Observer
    https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...218610365.html

The number of hogs and poultry killed in Hurricane Florence flooding is already double the casualties from Matthew in 2016, and the losses are expected to mount this week as new information comes in from farmers as they gain access to their properties.

Meanwhile, the number of hog waste lagoons in North Carolina that are damaged or overflowing continues to increase.

The N.C. Department Agriculture and Consumer Services said Tuesday that so far 3.4 million chickens and turkeys have been killed by Florence, and 5,500 hogs have perished since the storm deluged the state. In preparation for the advancing storm, farmers were moving their swine to higher land, but the intensity of the flooding exceeded all expectations.

Load Metric
    well that is fucking annoying af

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    sucks we don't have more POC's in charge to raise energy taxes and prevent hurricanes

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    sucks we don't have more POC's in charge to raise energy taxes and prevent hurricanes
    Cap and trade was gonna save the world ... luls #liberalismisamentaldisorder

Comments

hongkonger: Hey dumbass, it was never implemented

Load Metric
    Name:  CA2473EC-E949-4B08-A372-82A29D6E091B.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  103.4 KB

That’s not a river, that’s part of I-95
    https://www.truckersnews.com/thats-n...-part-of-i-95/

Just because Hurricane Florence moved on, does not mean it’s safe to travel through the coastal areas it hammered.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation said it, the State Highway Patrol and other emergency management agencies “strongly advise motorists to stay off the roads and out of vehicles.”

DOT says travel conditions in some locations continue to deteriorate as flooding continues.

The agency also claims some GPS navigation companies are not keeping up with all the road closures and are directing people onto roads that are confirmed closed and flooded.
    It’s estimated that some 8 trillion (yes, trillion with “T”) fell on North and South Carolina as Hurricane Florence came ashore and stayed there. As this Facebook video from the North Carolina Department of Transportation says, the image is not of a river but of a section of Interstate 95.
    The image above may have been of I-95, but the footage in the video embedded in the article shows parts of I-40, not I-95.

Thread Information