Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my new bike

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    GS500?

yes its a gs500e with slingshot graphics on it.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I like your bike but why only one headlight? pfft

Load Metric
    LOL of course you'd post a pic of that Ghetto Vespa.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    yeah the one headlight. I haven't really looked at many pics of the later versions of this bike but now i wonder if they have 1 or 2 headlights and when they started that.

i'm sure if i wanted to find a faring with 2 headlights in it and put it on there i could, but tbh, i like the look of that giant bulb on the front of it. There is a faring kit for this bike that totally turns it into an 80s rocket, all square and shit.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Larr,

Congrats on getting a bike! I had some back in the day. Started with a 400, then quickly moved up to 750. Here are vids of those models. Was great seeing that some folks out there have been able to restore examples of those models.

The 1999 Yamaha XS400 shown here doesn’t have stock mirrors or exhaust, but everything else looks stock, and with the same color as mine.

My 1980 Honda CB750F looked exactly like this one except I didn’t a sissy bar.

Here’s what riding on it was like. I took mine cross-country twice, once from New England to the Southwest, and two years later back to New England.

The 750 was my sole transportation for about 2 years, and I took mine cross-country twice, from New England to the Southwest after dropping out of college before junior year, then back to New England for the summer, where I sold it before flying back to Southwest and getting a car.

Then about 20+ years later, when I was flush with assistant professor cash (and before I got hooked on poker in Atlantic City), I bought a beater 1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1200 with plans to restore it. But it almost instantly needed expensive repairs that I in vain tried to fix myself. Which is why this vid, showing one nicely restored with the same color, was what mine would have looked like if I had followed through restoring it.

But after a few months of it being in parts in my garage, and making no real progress towards getting it road-worthy, I broke down and bought another bike, this time a performance-modded 1999 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200. Couldn’t find a vid of one like mine on DaTube, but this ‘97 model with leather saddlebags is pretty close, absent the sports faring I added, the K&N air breather and the performance exhaust it had.

And because HD hadn’t started putting vibration damperers into Sportster engines by then, mine vibrated quite a bit at highway speed in the stock 5th gear. To make it more bearable for longer rides, I upgraded the tranny to a Baker 6-speed. That and swapping out the stock seat for a Mustang made medium-distance road trips on it a breeze.

Happy trails, bro!

Comments

FPS_Russia: facepalm
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 08-26-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Have fun with the bike LL.

How does this affect the job? It must be harder weaving in and out of traffic but is it making your drop offs quicker?
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    One other thing for now...

If you are new to riding a motorcycle, I can’t stress enough how important it is learn how to make countersteering an automatic response versus having to remember it in a crisis. Here’s an example of why that is so:

And this could have been me if on this one corner on a backroad back in the day someone had been coming the other way.

Towards that objective, I like this YouTuber’s coverage of the topic, as well as the others he covers related to bikes.

Peace out.

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: you're a good man
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm kinda happy to see Larry back, actually.

While he's sometimes full of drama and not always completely stable emotionally, I think he's generally a good guy, and I've always liked him.
    Who do u like more. Me or Larry..

If u pick me, I'll send mumbles too you for a good time.

Load Metric
    @ mumbles:

thanks for the vids. the guy getting hit by the fire truck is one I haven't seen, but seen plenty like it. Counter-steering on a bicycle is the same as on a motorcycle so I understand the concepts of it, and know that without it, you may as well not ride a moto.

that fucking video........it says the guy lived. But say he hadn't. we just watched a fucking snuff film. You only have to see one and then you've seen them all.

On a lighter note, here's a video I watched, which deals with everything you need to know, and it's narrated by a guy who to me, sounds remarkably like Druff. If Druff rode motorcycles, he'd be this fuckin' guy here:

and he lives in California too. Druff, do you happen to ride motorcycles?

Comments

MumblesBadly: But he got through the agenda much faster than Druff could have even at his best!

George Steinbrenner

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I like MumblesBadly now

Comments

MumblesBadly: You getting seduced by the Mumbles Side?

Load Metric
    My latest “dream” bike:

I need to cut back on lobster tacos and start saving up for it.

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I'm kinda happy to see Larry back, actually.

While he's sometimes full of drama and not always completely stable emotionally, I think he's generally a good guy, and I've always liked him.
    Lol
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric
    Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 159
Size:  7.2 KB
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Are your feet able to reach the ground when you stop? Or do you have to hop off to keep from tipping over at red lights?

Banned
    Load Metric
    REAL TALK, folks.

Name:  gif.gif
Views: 181
Size:  2.95 MB

Thread Information