Thread: Staying in High End Hotels is Overrated. Freak Out Mode

Load Metric

Staying in High End Hotels is Overrated. Freak Out Mode

I stayed at the Marriott a couple weeks ago in Chicago, it was on Michigan Avenue. I stayed there because I wanted walking distance to a couple restaurants, most notably Joes where I get Alaskan King Crab and Oysters. Also Banderas.

Anyway, I was at the Marriott and I got really shitfaced the evening I was there. We are talking wine, martinis and yes some ports. Anyway, around 1am I woke up to take a leak and began freaking out. My room was small, like really small and I suddenly got claustrophobic. I put on sweats and literally was pounding the fucking down button on the elevator. For a brief moment I thought the elevator was stalled and began freaking out, but I started going down.

As soon as the doors opened I sprinted outside gasping for air like I could not breathe. I got my composure, it was 1am and I began walking Michigan Avenue. I absolutely could not believe how packed the street was. It was like it was noon even though it was 1am. Granted, I just crossed the 40 year old threshold but still, I felt old seeing all the 20 somethings running around. I could not believe how packed it was at 1am, I know I just said that, this is called nostalgia.

I stopped for a shot after an hour of walking in a really loud bar, everyone was under 25. I finally got back to the hotel around 2:30am. I finally got back to sleep around 5am, but it sucked because I needed to be up at 7am so I felt miserable. So I got breakfast downstairs and got a nuclear shit attack and sprinted to the elevator. Naturally it took like 5 minutes to get up to my room. I left a nice air biscuit for the next guest on the way down whoever it was. I wish I had stayed in a Hampton in the suburbs awaiting the elevator each time, those are like 2 or three floors max.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Great story! Tell us more! LOL

YUUP: The only bit of that story I believe is you wear sweats in you 40’s

splitthis:

Load Metric
    When I took my kid and her friend there in high school, we stayed at the W you cheapskate.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He's laughing in your face Druff.
    Be a man

Load Metric
    First of all, you couldn't just say hello? Second of all, what the FUCK is somebody with as much disposable income as you have doing staying in a 3.5 star hotel when there's a plethora of 5 star hotel options in the vicinity?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    First of all, you couldn't just say hello? Second of all, what the FUCK is somebody with as much disposable income as you have doing staying in a 3.5 star hotel when there's a plethora of 5 star hotel options in the vicinity?
    Name a better located hotel on MI Avenue than the Marriott? Hotel is nice, but fuck my room was small. But it is literally right there where you want to be. I stayed a while back at the Hyatt near the Pier, that was nice too but being on MI Avenue was just better over a three day period. Banderas was really a good place to eat with that piano bar but that us just me.

Comments

limitles: get the fuck off toilet boy

splitthis:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Name a better located hotel on MI Avenue than the Marriott? Hotel is nice, but fuck my room was small. But it is literally right there where you want to be. I stayed a while back at the Hyatt near the Pier, that was nice too but being on MI Avenue was just better over a three day period. Banderas was really a good place to eat with that piano bar but that us just me.
    Sure, allow me to name a few. The Park Hyatt, The Peninsula, Omni, The Ritz Carlton, The Four Seasons, The Drake. Heck, even the InterContinental on the other side of the street.

Load Metric

Sure, allow me to name a few. The Park Hyatt, The Peninsula, Omni, The Ritz Carlton, The Four Seasons, The Drake. Heck, even the InterContinental on the other side of the street.
    I did get a drink at the InterContinental on Mag Mile which was nice. I had no idea Holiday Inn owns InterContinental, I have like 5 free rooms with Holiday Inn, maybe I will stay there next trip to Chicago.

Comments

Muck Ficon: The only thing true about this is the fact that you drink. How's that going champ?

splitthis:

Load Metric
    The Peninsula in Chicago is arguably the best hotel in the US. You can negotiate decent rates there.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Better than the one in Beverly Hills?

Load Metric
    I did get a drink at the InterContinental on Mag Mile which was nice. I had no idea Holiday Inn owns InterContinental, I have like 5 free rooms with Holiday Inn, maybe I will stay there next trip to Chicago.
    What's the matter, did your ever-skyrocketing liquid wealth hit a speed bump?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

You rented a car from PAYLESS. Enough said.

Comments

JACKDANIELS: GOT HIM

FRANKRIZZO: lol I thought payless only haddshoes

splitthis:

Load Metric

real zinger there

Comments

TwitchySeal:

Load Metric
    SHOTS FIRED

Load Metric

Lol. I won't make that mistake again my drunken plumber friend.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    The Peninsula in Chicago is arguably the best hotel in the US. You can negotiate decent rates there.
    It's a boss hotel.

The Marriott on Michigan avenue, however, is a decent hotel, but by no means "high end". There have to be at least 20 hotels in Chicago that I would rather stay at, and being on Mich Ave, is not really moving the needle for me either.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    The Marriot in Times Square NY...

Lets just say there's really quiet bathrooms once you get to the higher number floors.

Load Metric
    The Waldorf and it’s really not close
    We pray for understanding as we all occasionally request back door action by accident, when we tried to call an electrician. It happens, it simply happens.

Thread Information