Page 49 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

From my buddy’s perspective (remember he’s very liberal), the liberal politicians’ approach to dealing with these people is too lenient. For example, the jails/prisons are full so there seems to be a push all over the country to avoid putting nonviolent criminals in jail. That’s great and all but there needs to be a plan to deal with those people then. They seem to be ending up on the streets and the homeless populations are exploding. I live in San Diego, our problem isn’t quite as bad but not great either. I worked downtown for several years and the majority of the homeless I saw seemed to be mentally ill but that is changing to more drug addicts and criminals. We have what is called the “HOT” program where cops and social workers go around the city daily and offer help to the homeless. I assume other cities do this as well but not 100% sure.
    So, you (or your buddy) think we don't put enough people in jail. Is that fair to conclude?
    That’s what you got from what I wrote?

Load Metric

So, you (or your buddy) think we don't put enough people in jail. Is that fair to conclude?
    Yes.
    Please don't insult me too hard.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Yes.
    I said if we’re gonna put less people in jail that’s fine but there needs to be a plan. You think having huge drug addicted homeless populations is a good thing? Just curious, where do you have live? NYC?

Load Metric
    Yes.
    I said if we’re gonna put less people in jail that’s fine but there needs to be a plan. You think having huge drug addicted homeless populations is a good thing? Just curious, where do you have live? NYC?
    What kind of 'plan' would you ever be ok with? Healthcare for homeless? That's almost as crazy as...oh, never mind.

No, never been to NYC in my life - what on earth would give you that idea.

Platinum
    Load Metric

No, never been to NYC in my life.

You don’t want to say where you live?

Why did you avoid my other question?

Load Metric

I edited it. Not trying to avoid anything - was just loling at you 'guessing' that I live in NYC.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I edited it. Not trying to avoid anything - was just loling at you 'guessing' that I live in NYC.
    Are you saying that everyone’s profile “location” is accurate? If you do live in NYC you should have some insight as to how to tackle the problems of other cities. Remind me again was it republican leadership or democrat leadership that really cleaned that city up a couple decades ago?

Load Metric

Are you saying that everyone’s profile “location” is accurate? If you do live in NYC you should have some insight as to how to tackle the problems of other cities. Remind me again was it republican leadership or democrat leadership that really cleaned that city up a couple decades ago?
    wtf is wrong with you

are you Garret?

Platinum
    Load Metric

wtf is wrong with you

are you Garret?
    It’s pointless talking to you man. You have nothing of value to say. Liberals are hilarious. Go back and read our conversation and look how hard you worked to avoid having a real exchange of ideas. You’re chatting in a forum and avoiding real conversation at all costs, you’re the problem my friend. Too many people like you in the country so there is no way for people with different POVs to find common ground.

Load Metric

wtf is wrong with you

are you Garret?
    It’s pointless talking to you man. You have nothing of value to say. Liberals are hilarious. Go back and read our conversation and look how hard you worked to avoid having a real exchange of ideas. You’re chatting in a forum and avoiding real conversation at all costs, you’re the problem my friend. Too many people like you in the country so there is no way for people with different POVs to find common ground.
    ummm...

What kind of 'plan' would you ever be ok with? Healthcare for homeless?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

wtf is wrong with you

are you Garret?
    Lol, it's your country's disregard for social programs that began along while back. Remember Reagan?

"The Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 (MHSA) was United States legislation signed by President Jimmy Carter which provided grants to community mental health centers. In 1981 President Ronald Reagan and the U.S. Congress repealed most of the law.[1] The MHSA was considered landmark legislation in mental health care policy.

Many people now rightly see this as the root cause of the United States of America's homeless problem."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental...ms_Act_of_1980

Any response nightmare fish? You get very quiet at just the right times.

People with no where to go were pushed out of mental hospitals etc.
    becasue of cost concerns? And you lol at libtards?

Comments

nightmarefish: I guess this is what I’m supposed to do when we disagree.........
    Last edited by limitles; 09-01-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Lol, it's your country's disregard for social programs that began along while back. Remember Reagan?

"The Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 (MHSA) was United States legislation signed by President Jimmy Carter which provided grants to community mental health centers. In 1981 President Ronald Reagan and the U.S. Congress repealed most of the law.[1] The MHSA was considered landmark legislation in mental health care policy.

Many people now rightly see this as the root cause of the United States of America's homeless problem."

Like I said in an earlier post, yes most of the homeless I’ve had interactions with have mental issues. San Diego, where I live, has a program to deal with these people if they want the help. The recent dramatic increase in homeless populations seems to primarily be drug addiction cases and low level criminals where the programs aren’t in place (or don’t have the resources) to help these people who in the past would have been in jail/prison.

Platinum
    Load Metric

What kind of 'plan' would you ever be ok with? Healthcare for homeless? That's almost as crazy as...oh, never mind.

No, never been to NYC in my life - what on earth would give you that idea.
    Ok, I see you edited your post yet you still decide not do share any ideas of your own. You just ask more questions. Again, pointless to talk to you.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Like I said in an earlier post, yes most of the homeless I’ve had interactions with have mental issues. San Diego, where I live, has a program to deal with these people if they want the help. The recent dramatic increase in homeless populations seems to primarily be drug addiction cases and low level criminals where the programs aren’t in place (or don’t have the resources) to help these people who in the past would have been in jail/prison.
    No comment on the mental health care legislation repealed by Reagan? Is this not
    the kind of legislation that is required to help the homeless?
    Try not to use so many andecdotes in your responses.
    Your buddy's opinion is just that.

And when you say these liberal politicians are too lenient.....what do you mean by that
    exactly? Being less lenient means more jail time does it not?

And you've got a for profit prison system so things seem to be working
    against each other.

Comments

nightmarefish: I guess this is what I’m supposed to do when we disagree.........

Load Metric

I think it's safe to say that most homelessness drug addiction and low level crime are directly related to mental health issues. Also, I don't think it's fair to say that a homeless person that isn't taking advantage of programs available to them "don't want help".

Platinum
    Load Metric

I think it's safe to say that most homelessness drug addiction and low level crime are directly related to mental health issues. Also, I don't think it's fair to say that a homeless person that isn't taking advantage of programs available to them "don't want help".
    Lmfao, once again I agree with absolutely nothing you said here.

It’s safe to say Drug addicts and low level criminals have mental health issues?

So if social workers and cops offer to give them help and they refuse help it doesn’t mean they “don’t want help”????? Please explain.

Platinum
    Load Metric

No comment on the mental health care legislation repealed by Reagan? Is this not
    the kind of legislation that is required to help the homeless?
    Try not to use so many andecdotes in your responses.
    Your buddy's opinion is just that.

And when you say these liberal politicians are too lenient.....what do you mean by that
    exactly? Being less lenient means more jail time does it not?

And you've got a for profit prison system so things seem to be working
    against each other.

Did you not read what I said? From my experience where I live, there are programs in place to help homeless people with mental health issues. What Reagan did in the 80s probably had an initial impact but isn’t the reason for the sharp uptick In the homeless populations in recent years.
    Last edited by nightmarefish; 09-01-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Name:  8EF0CD50-9663-4563-AE38-1628767432F9.jpeg
Views: 575
Size:  220.6 KB

Load Metric

Lmfao, once again I agree with absolutely nothing you said here.

It’s safe to say Drug addicts and low level criminals have mental health issues?
    I think it's absolutely safe to say that most drug addicts have mental health issues. Substance abuse is almost always a form of self medication for some other issue (depression is probably the most common). If they get addicted and then commit crimes to feed their addiction, it's all connected back to their mental health issues.

So if social workers and cops offer to give them help and they refuse help it doesn’t mean they “don’t want help”????? Please explain.
    I guess there's a fair argument that you're right here. At the moment they decline the help, they don't in fact want to be helped. But, it's really a hell of a lot more complicated than you seem to think.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  8EF0CD50-9663-4563-AE38-1628767432F9.jpeg
Views: 575
Size:  220.6 KB
    Oh is that your very liberal bud texting? Ask him how they treat the homeless
    too good? Why, because they aren't shot? Is homelessness a crime?

And the Reagan administration directly impacted the homeless situation, not probably.
    That was followed by deregulated mortgage industry/ home foreclosures, a steadly increase
    in the wealth gap and poor social networks for even your veterans.

Homelessness is growing, you're just finding the numbers to be unsettling

America is supposed to be the richest country in history yet
    there is not enough money except when it comes to bailing
    out banks and investment firms

damn it's gotta be the liberals

Comments

Thread Information