Page 30 of 82 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Mr.Tickle is taking his time so i'll pick these up.

I hope i already explained how you lose 3.4 billion when you "pay" it to Amazon. That position is based on understanding market forces, economics and capitalism. It's kinda basic.

We can't sustain the current levels of meat eating with growing population. None of it is extreme. If western trend in this among others is adopted by the 3rd world, we're fucked. I hope this isn't the first time when you hear about this. Fairly little research is required to say, yup we're fucked. Kinda basic.

If we don't replace current levels carbon emissions, we're fucked. And that likely means we need to phase out of fossil fuels. The way we do private and public transportation is not sustainable. We either fix that or seize to exist. Kinda basic.

And how to fund everything that needs to be done sadly isn't even on the list of 100 things that needs to be cleared to move even roughly towards the right direction. Not funding isn't really an option we have. We either take care of this or seize to exist. With a variety environmental thingies, the Amazon deal is just a long term losing proposition. How we divide resources does play into this, but it's still something we can build around.
    i don't necessarily disagree with you regarding the environment. i'm not a climate change denier. my only objection on AOC's positions are that the things she puts on paper sound "extreme" or, at the very least, unrealistic and possibly giving rise to trump's second term.

i may have missed your point re amazon, so i'm not sure if i'm responding to it. i think you're saying that corporate welfare is bad generally and leads to less governmental funds generally when each state/country competes with each other in a race to the bottom.

i get that. but my issue is that we don't control the playing field. in other words, what new york didn't want to offer, another state will, which leads to the loss of jobs to her constituents. the states didn't get together and agree to not offer incentives.

if i missed your amazon point, please feel free to ignore.
    I'm guessing my point is mostly that the solution to the race to the bottom is not to go along because you can't do anything else. Work towards fixing it instead of lynching who ever mentions the emperors lack of clothes.

Currently the state that "wins" pays the "losing" states share of this taxation policy. And AOC is actually right that in long term NY gains 3.4 billion from this. The way you handle this now is basically like fixing an addiction by remaining addicted. You need to work towards sobriety even if that feels like shit in the short term. There is no other way. Delaying that makes the situation worse.

Load Metric

You can say New York doesn't benefit from this deal, but if this is a standard practice then it's a part of taxation. You might as well just write it in.

In the real world you get your shit together. Now you're letting corporations divide you. I think conquering comes after that. You control the worlds most lucrative market of 300 million souls. Start acting like it. Why would you ever negotiate from a position of weakness. If corporations aren't willing to play by your rules, let them eat a dick. Make them pay taxes on markets they fuck with. Remove the option of working outside US with access to your market. Doing anything else is just retarded.
    you are going 100% trump on us. these are literally his talking points but they are also fantasy.

these anti-competitive denial of markets moves, tariffs, etc. don't work.
    Not really. European nations don't have an issue bargaining for all of their citizens (sometimes EU as a whole). That is the only reason why say drugs are cheaper here. I think some of your politicians sold that power some time ago. There's nothing strange in saying that if you want our customers you play by our rules. Relatively little to do with tariffs and why they don't work.

Load Metric
    I guess i need adjust to what level of corruption Americans think as normal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I was friends/co-worker with a certain Finn from a town called Torgue, I hope that is the correct spelling.
    This kid was above anything I had encountered.....Mika first name.....that's it.

Uber smart, uber generous, uber compassionet.
    I wish I was him
    And you think Canadians are nice?

Torque with a q I'm sure

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    I was friends/co-worker with a certain Finn from a town called Torgue, I hope that is the correct spelling.
    This kid was above anything I had encountered.....Mika first name.....that's it.

I wish I was him

Torque with a q I'm sure
    I think you mean Turku. It's pronounced roughly as torque. It's a coastal city.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

I wish I was him

Torque with a q I'm sure
    I think you mean Turku. It's pronounced roughly as torque. It's a coastal city.
    No you are wrong....I knew this guy for at least two months
    so just get off your high Finlandish horse
    BTW, all caps, don't ever mention Hockey on this site
    It would be like John Jr. telling the president what to do

Comments

gimmick: it translates to Åbo in Swedish. and Å is like O

Load Metric

You can say New York doesn't benefit from this deal, but if this is a standard practice then it's a part of taxation. You might as well just write it in.

In the real world you get your shit together. Now you're letting corporations divide you. I think conquering comes after that. You control the worlds most lucrative market of 300 million souls. Start acting like it. Why would you ever negotiate from a position of weakness. If corporations aren't willing to play by your rules, let them eat a dick. Make them pay taxes on markets they fuck with. Remove the option of working outside US with access to your market. Doing anything else is just retarded.
    you are going 100% trump on us. these are literally his talking points but they are also fantasy.

these anti-competitive denial of markets moves, tariffs, etc. don't work.
    I think i figured easiest way to explain why what i'm suggesting isn't like tariffs and why it works. Corporations can't punish nations. That is what leads to a losing war when nations penalize each other. There isn't anything Nations are selling to corporations. So there isn't anything corporations could tax as a counter move.

What you're doing now is competing (between states) for corporations action. It's completely backwards. States control the customers. Without customers there is no action or jobs. The states already control the most important part of the markets. This is like customers competing for products. Something that happens in true scarcity. In everything else corporations compete for customers. Customers are scarce in free market and that leads the dynamic.

Load Metric
    "So I firmly believe that if we want to take that $3 billion dollars that we were willing to give to Amazon and invest it in our local community, we can do that. We can make those jobs. We can make 25,000 jobs. But we don’t have to give away and allow our subway system to crumble so that Amazon essentially owns a part of New York City. We can create 25,000 jobs with Mom-and-Pops; we can create 25,000 jobs with companies that are willing to come to the table, but we should not be giving away our infrastructure, our subway system, our schools, our teachers’ salaries, our firefighters’ budgets, to a company that has not shown good faith to New Yorkers. And we can ask for more because we deserve more."

-the AOC

DOES THIS BITCH UNDERSTAND THAT NO ONE WAS GIVING $3 BILLION TO AMAZON. IT WAS A TAX BREAK. WHAT MONEY IS SHE USING TO MAKE 25,000 JOBS?

Load Metric
    if trump said this kind of nonsense, we would fairly say he is lying or retarded.

which is it with AOC?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Take a look mr Finny
    no good for you is it?
    there's always second
    Name:  mika.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  22.7 KB

Load Metric
    "So I firmly believe that if we want to take that $3 billion dollars that we were willing to give to Amazon and invest it in our local community, we can do that. We can make those jobs. We can make 25,000 jobs. But we don’t have to give away and allow our subway system to crumble so that Amazon essentially owns a part of New York City. We can create 25,000 jobs with Mom-and-Pops; we can create 25,000 jobs with companies that are willing to come to the table, but we should not be giving away our infrastructure, our subway system, our schools, our teachers’ salaries, our firefighters’ budgets, to a company that has not shown good faith to New Yorkers. And we can ask for more because we deserve more."

-the AOC

DOES THIS BITCH UNDERSTAND THAT NO ONE WAS GIVING $3 BILLION TO AMAZON. IT WAS A TAX BREAK. WHAT MONEY IS SHE USING TO MAKE 25,000 JOBS?
    Taxes from businesses willing to create 25k jobs. It's not uniquely Amazon that can do that. It doesn't actually matter if it's a tax break or cold hard cash. It's like the money you win is just as valuable as money you don't lose.

Load Metric
    Dem Rep Maloney Hits Back at AOC’s Opposition to Amazon HQ2: ‘It Used to Be That We Would Protest Wars — Now We’re Protesting Jobs’

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...otesting-jobs/

Nolte: Mayor Bill De Blasio Blasts Ocasio-Cortez for Killing Amazon Deal

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...g-amazon-deal/

60,000+ jobs lost because of AOC and AOC alone, not to mention $24,000,000,000 in tax revenue that would have gone to fund government services. real people were hurt because of her.

Load Metric
    If you think Amazon holds some unique position that gives it an unfair advantage, you chop Amazon in to pieces that are competing with each other. US actually has this thing in writing. Something about monopolies and cartels. They are still illegal.

Load Metric
    If you think Amazon holds some unique position that gives it an unfair advantage, you chop Amazon in to pieces that are competing with each other. US actually has this thing in writing. Something about monopolies and cartels. They are still illegal.
    i legit have no idea what point you're trying to make

Load Metric

-the AOC

Taxes from businesses willing to create 25k jobs. It's not uniquely Amazon that can do that. It doesn't actually matter if it's a tax break or cold hard cash. It's like the money you win is just as valuable as money you don't lose.
    what does this mean? what are you suggesting new york do here? what do you think AOC is suggesting to do here?

Load Metric
    Dem Rep Maloney Hits Back at AOC’s Opposition to Amazon HQ2: ‘It Used to Be That We Would Protest Wars — Now We’re Protesting Jobs’

60,000+ jobs lost because of AOC and AOC alone, not to mention $24,000,000,000 in tax revenue that would have gone to fund government services. real people were hurt because of her.
    This would be the stupid math part.

Say they offer this magical deal to 10 states. One state wins 60k jobs. Does that mean that 9 states lost 9x60k jobs? By your logic the answer to this is yes. Apparently by offering this deal you lose 480k jobs. You ad the real people part and any additional tears you think is necessary in selling this.

Load Metric
    Ok. If you think you have no choice but to bow to Amazons demands, then you already have legislation for this. That's the monopoly part. If you think the result of splitting Amazon to pieces is a cartel, then you already have legislation to this.

Load Metric

This would be the stupid math part.

Say they offer this magical deal to 10 states. One state wins 60k jobs. Does that mean that 9 states lost 9x60k jobs? By your logic the answer to this is yes. Apparently by offering this deal you lose 480k jobs. You ad the real people part and any additional tears you think is necessary in selling this.
    jesus christ gimmick, you're being deliberately argumentative on things you don't even disagree with.

new york (not the US in general) lost out on 60,000+ additional jobs (better?) and $24,000,000,000 in additional tax revenue.

Load Metric

what does this mean? what are you suggesting new york do here? what do you think AOC is suggesting to do here?
    They can offer the same deal to other businesses. Likely with takers. Big or many small companies.

You didn't lose the deal because of AOC. You lost because Amazon tried to bilk more and they found a taker from somewhere else. It's possible this isn't part of Amazons press release.

Load Metric

Ok. If you think you have no choice but to bow to Amazons demands, then you already have legislation for this. That's the monopoly part. If you think the result of splitting Amazon to pieces is a cartel, then you already have legislation to this.
    if you wanted 60,000+ additional jobs and $24,000,000,000 in additional revenue, you bow to their demands, yes.

that would have been an unbelievably great deal for new york

Thread Information