Page 47 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Big shocker, someone from the left is defending Muslims and trying to make white men look evil.

Also, AOC is not understanding the difference between terrorism and a hate crime.

Terrorism is an attack meant to instill fear into a civilian population in order to advance a political agenda. For example, 9/11 was meant to scare Americans from supporting the US interfering in middle-eastern matters.

A hate crime is simply meant to kill people of a certain ethnicity, religion, or sexual preference that the perpetrator hates.

The Pulse Nightclub shooting seemed to be a mixture of terrorism and a hate crime, as the shooter mentioned Allah as he committed his killings, but also seemed to hate gays.

The San Bernadino shooting was terrorism -- not "workplace violence" as Obama tried to claim.

These white supremacists killing people -- whether Jews, blacks, or whoever -- are hate crimes. They are not looking to advance any real political ideology or intimidate anyone, but rather just want to kill people from groups they hate.

This is yet another attempt by a leftist politican to say, "See! White people are terrorists just as often as Muslims are terrorists, but our racist government only brands the Muslims as such."

AOC wants you to believe it's just right wing hatred which has made people believe that Muslims are more likely than any other group to commit acts of terror.

I think you’re doing the same thing as her, to obfuscate most of these white supremacists attacks. They are mentally ill people who both hate their targets and think they can change policy. Their writing reflect they think they’ll be a tipping point to scare their targets or get their country to alter policy. They are mostly terrorists.

Like Vegas I wouldn’t classify as either as I don’t believe we know the guy’s motivation beyond insane. School shootings often fall in there. Just mentally ill people.

That’s not to say I buy white people are terrorizing black people more. These are isolated incidents and black people commit more violent crimes against white people, in many cases for being white, than the opposite. They face scrutiny and police harassment if they wander into the wrong white enclave. White people get shot or beaten for being white more frequently every day for wandering into the wrong black area. The Jewish and Muslim hate stuff is almost wholly political and terrorism.

But white supremacists don’t get a pass for being less organized and not having nation state financial backing. They’re still terrorists with goals beyond simple hatred. They almost always have political agendas and ideology. We won’t need to get the military involved to root them out, so they’re a far lesser problem at this point, but they are still terrorists.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Thoughtful commentary

MumblesBadly: Tony!!!!!!!! We agree on something again!!!!!
    Last edited by BCR; 06-06-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

But white supremacists don’t get a pass for being less organized and not having nation state financial backing.

They tend to also hail from areas with conservative / evangelist power blocks that both shield the from scrutiny and facilitate their access to the resources for asymmetrical warfare.

Because you know, the bible or something.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

But white supremacists don’t get a pass for being less organized and not having nation state financial backing.
    They tend to also hail from areas with conservative / evangelist power blocks that both shield the from scrutiny and facilitate their access to the resources for asymmetrical warfare.

fess up already, are you behind the mumblesbadly account?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

fess up already, are you behind the mumblesbadly account?

a lady never tells.

Comments

MumblesBadly: All part of the master plan...

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Someone posted that NOW SHIT video on Facebook, and I commented on it there.

While it would be great to have some reform regarding defense contractors (this is a problem which goes back long before AOC was born, btw), I hate how she linked it to socialized healthcare.

Total apples and oranges.

In general, you sound like a fool when saying, "This wasted $200,000 of the federal budget, which could have bought XXXXX for the children."

That's not how federal budgeting works, and while it's never good to waste any public money, an extra $200k in government coffers is a tiny drop in the bucket, and would not affect anything.

AOC should have just stuck with the shaming of the defense contractor and made a speech about the need for reform (something I'd agree with), and shut her mouth about the Medicare for All bullshit.

Comments

MumblesBadly: When conservatives pass $700+ billion in military spending, do almost nothing to stem wasteful military spending, then bitch about how social programs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW I've got a personal story about a defense contractor wasting money.

In 1998, I was working for a defense contractor and they had an essential project which needed to be completed by a hard deadline, at which point they would be moving the entire project to Alabama.

So basically the California group had to finish a lot of work in a relatively short time, and I was part of that group. I also wasn't making very much money, with it being my first job out of college.

The really frustrating thing for me, however, was watching new hires out of college get a higher starting salary than my then-current one, despite my two years at the company and Master's Degree.

How did this happen?

It was a phenomenon called "compression". The dot-com boom of the late '90s was forcing programmer salaries way up, so they had to hire at rapidly increased salaries in order to get anyone new, even recent college grads. However, this greatly outpaced the yearly raise budget they had for existing employees, so it fucked existing employees like me who had only been there a few years. This problem plagued many companies, and the more flexible, nimble ones fixed it for those who spoke up.

I was working for a company full of bureaucracy, and there simply wasn't an easy way to do it. The only way they could manage it was to take the money out of the "raise" pool, which would have limited flexibility to give other people raises in my department. They really didn't want to deal with it.

Regardless, I went to HR and told them that I needed this rectified, or I was walking.

Well, they went into a panic because they realized if I walked, that important project wasn't going to get done. At the same time, they really didn't want to give me that big raise and throw off their raise pool.

So what did they do? They lied to me. They told me it was "processing", and as soon as I was done with the essential project and they closed our department down, they broke the news to me that it was "denied".

At that point, they didn't give a shit if I left, because my department was closing, and while I wasn't being laid off (I was being moved elsewhere), I was no longer essential, and in some ways extraneous.

Dirty. I was too naive at the time to have demanded a signed agreement. I just took their word for it, and I got fucked up the ass.

Anyway, I didn't quit right away because it's a disadvantage in the job market to have no job while looking for a new one.

I started looking elsewhere, and they moved me to a new department.

Here's where the waste comes in.

This new department was HUGE and bloated. Basically they dropped people there if they had nowhere else to go.

My new boss gave me the first assignment, and I completed it in like 45 minutes.

I came back to him and said, "Okay, what now?"

He responded, "What? You're done? Oh I didn't expect that. I thought this would take like 4 days. Okay, I'll get back to you soon."

He didn't get back to me. He was content to let me sit around doing nothing.

This was actually great for me because I got to spend the time on the internet looking for new jobs and basically fucking around, while getting paid for it. I could also disappear for hours at a time to go on job interviews and nobody even noticed or cared. I wasn't even working in the same room as my boss, nor did he come look for me.

I had some small lol task to complete each week, I'd knock it out in an hour, and then I'd have 39 hours left to fuck around.

I remember thinking to myself, "If I wasn't 26 years old and looking for challenges in my career, this would be the perfect situation. If I were like 55 and just looking for a paycheck, this would be heaven."

But I wasn't 55 and looking for a paycheck. I wanted something challenging, interesting, and with a future.

Finally I found something which looked good, accepted it, and gave my 2 weeks notice. In my official letter giving the notice, I blamed the situation from a few months back where they screwed me out of the pay raise.

"Oh wow, I had no idea they did that to you," said my boss. "Well, you've done a good job in the few months you've worked for me, so let me know if you need a recommendation."

And with that, I was on my way.

But I couldn't help think of how bloated the whole thing was, and how much taxpayer money was being wasted to do very little.

Comments

duped_samaritan:

Load Metric

In 1998, I was working for a defense contractor and they had an essential project which needed to be completed by a hard deadline, at which point they would be moving the entire project to Alabama.

So basically the California group had to finish a lot of work in a relatively short time, and I was part of that group. I also wasn't making very much money, with it being my first job out of college.

The really frustrating thing for me, however, was watching new hires out of college get a higher starting salary than my then-current one, despite my two years at the company and Master's Degree.

How did this happen?

It was a phenomenon called "compression". The dot-com boom of the late '90s was forcing programmer salaries way up, so they had to hire at rapidly increased salaries in order to get anyone new, even recent college grads. However, this greatly outpaced the yearly raise budget they had for existing employees, so it fucked existing employees like me who had only been there a few years. This problem plagued many companies, and the more flexible, nimble ones fixed it for those who spoke up.

I was working for a company full of bureaucracy, and there simply wasn't an easy way to do it. The only way they could manage it was to take the money out of the "raise" pool, which would have limited flexibility to give other people raises in my department. They really didn't want to deal with it.

Regardless, I went to HR and told them that I needed this rectified, or I was walking.

Well, they went into a panic because they realized if I walked, that important project wasn't going to get done. At the same time, they really didn't want to give me that big raise and throw off their raise pool.

So what did they do? They lied to me. They told me it was "processing", and as soon as I was done with the essential project and they closed our department down, they broke the news to me that it was "denied".

At that point, they didn't give a shit if I left, because my department was closing, and while I wasn't being laid off (I was being moved elsewhere), I was no longer essential, and in some ways extraneous.

Dirty. I was too naive at the time to have demanded a signed agreement. I just took their word for it, and I got fucked up the ass.

Anyway, I didn't quit right away because it's a disadvantage in the job market to have no job while looking for a new one.

This new department was HUGE and bloated. Basically they dropped people there if they had nowhere else to go.

My new boss gave me the first assignment, and I completed it in like 45 minutes.

He responded, "What? You're done? Oh I didn't expect that. I thought this would take like 4 days. Okay, I'll get back to you soon."

This was actually great for me because I got to spend the time on the internet looking for new jobs and basically fucking around, while getting paid for it. I could also disappear for hours at a time to go on job interviews and nobody even noticed or cared. I wasn't even working in the same room as my boss, nor did he come look for me.

I had some small lol task to complete each week, I'd knock it out in an hour, and then I'd have 39 hours left to fuck around.

I remember thinking to myself, "If I wasn't 26 years old and looking for challenges in my career, this would be the perfect situation. If I were like 55 and just looking for a paycheck, this would be heaven."

But I wasn't 55 and looking for a paycheck. I wanted something challenging, interesting, and with a future.

Finally I found something which looked good, accepted it, and gave my 2 weeks notice. In my official letter giving the notice, I blamed the situation from a few months back where they screwed me out of the pay raise.

"Oh wow, I had no idea they did that to you," said my boss. "Well, you've done a good job in the few months you've worked for me, so let me know if you need a recommendation."

But I couldn't help think of how bloated the whole thing was, and how much taxpayer money was being wasted to do very little.
    Great post. Did you really type that in 14 minutes?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

How did this happen?

Great post. Did you really type that in 14 minutes?
    Clearly, he did a 4 day project in 45 minutes.

Comments

Dan Druff: lol

MumblesBadly: My money is on Druff having such anecdotes mostly prewritten, stored in a database, and insertable using hot key combos.

Load Metric

Comments

ErickAA: I read the Wall St. Journal article. All the new tech expansion is in Manhattan, and would have all happened anyways in addition to the Queens headquarters. Making the richest part of NY even richer probably isn't effective social justice
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If AOC was a republican...she’d be called a white hispanic and not a person of color.

The troof

Load Metric
    Name:  9AB52057-55EB-4040-81E2-59FED143DE79.jpeg
Views: 372
Size:  396.9 KB

Load Metric

i mean you gotta give it to her, thats some real talk.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    How is that real talk?

The Dems have been whining about the electoral college for the past 19 years, ever since Al Gore lost.

People demanding a popular vote aren't understanding that this country is a co-op of 50 state governments, and not just a federal government with states acting as localities.

All of this moral outrage about electoral colleges is simply a matter of strategy. The Dems realize that they have the popular vote for the moment thanks to big population centers going mostly their way, so they are twisting and turning to justify why the electoral college should be abandoned.

If it were reversed and a popular vote would hurt them, then we'd be hearing "omg omg what about the small states" from them instead.

The funniest arguments I hear are those that Hillary actually "won" because she got more popular votes, totally ignoring that Trump's entire campaign strategy was based upon the electoral college, and he would have campaigned differently if it was about popular votes. It's like a baseball team stating that they actually won a game because they got more hits than their opponent, even if they ended up with fewer runs.

What AOC and other anti-electoral-college Dems ignore is the fact that campaigning is difficult, and the small population areas WOULD be ignored, because it simply wouldn't be cost effective to win their votes.

Oh, and states are free to change to a Congressional district method, as is used in Maine and Nebraska, where the entire state isn't winner-take-all. But that should be up to each individual state. I wouldn't be totally opposed to such a system, though, as at least that would still place an importance upon winning rural districts.

Load Metric
    How is that real talk?

The Dems have been whining about the electoral college for the past 19 years, ever since Al Gore lost.

People demanding a popular vote aren't understanding that this country is a co-op of 50 state governments, and not just a federal government with states acting as localities.

All of this moral outrage about electoral colleges is simply a matter of strategy. The Dems realize that they have the popular vote for the moment thanks to big population centers going mostly their way, so they are twisting and turning to justify why the electoral college should be abandoned.

If it were reversed and a popular vote would hurt them, then we'd be hearing "omg omg what about the small states" from them instead.

The funniest arguments I hear are those that Hillary actually "won" because she got more popular votes, totally ignoring that Trump's entire campaign strategy was based upon the electoral college, and he would have campaigned differently if it was about popular votes. It's like a baseball team stating that they actually won a game because they got more hits than their opponent, even if they ended up with fewer runs.

What AOC and other anti-electoral-college Dems ignore is the fact that campaigning is difficult, and the small population areas WOULD be ignored, because it simply wouldn't be cost effective to win their votes.

Oh, and states are free to change to a Congressional district method, as is used in Maine and Nebraska, where the entire state isn't winner-take-all. But that should be up to each individual state. I wouldn't be totally opposed to such a system, though, as at least that would still place an importance upon winning rural districts.
    When the Electoral College was established, the difference in population levels among the states wasn’t so extreme as today. At the time of the first census in 1790, the most populous state (Virginia) had a population that was only about 12 times the size of the least populous state (Delaware). Per the latest Federal Reserve population data on Wikipedia (2015), the most populous state (California, 39.145m) has about 67 times the number of residents as the least populous state (Wyoming, 0.596m).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...cal_population

Based on their respective populations and Electoral College electors, Wyoming’s 3 electors each effectively represent about 200,000 people, while California’s 55 electors each represent over 700,000 people, more than 3 1/2 times that for Wyoming. This is an egregiously imbalanced ratio of representation across such disparately populated states.

Adding to that dramatic change in relative state populations, a large majority of the smaller states are much more rural *and* conservative. This gives the Republicans a huge built-in lead in the Electoral College, requiring the Democrats to overperform in the remaining states-by-state contests for president just to breakeven with the GOP.

So, how could this unexpected-by-the-Founders representative imbalance be addressed in a way that preserves the partial sovereignty of the states within our federal government system *and* make the presidential race more reflective of the greater difference in populations among states? Easy! Just eliminate adding the number of senators each state has in determining their number of electors.

https://www.archives.gov/federal-reg...llocation.html

That way, the effective representation by the electors for the smaller population states would be more comparable to that of the most populous states. For example, the single elector for Wyoming would represent the entire population of that state, about 596,000, while the 53 electors for California would each effectively represent about 738,000 people, much more on par with Wyoming. Such a change in the effective population representation of each elector would be much closer to the circumstances the Founders faced when the Electoral College was formed than what we currently have.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 08-24-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    So, how could this unexpected-by-the-Founders representative imbalance be addressed in a way that preserves the partial sovereignty of the states within our federal government system *and* make the presidential race more reflective of the greater difference in populations among states? Easy! Just eliminate adding the number of senators each state has in determining their number of electors.

https://www.archives.gov/federal-reg...llocation.html

That way, the effective representation by the electors for the smaller population states would be more comparable to that of the most populous states. For example, the single elector for Wyoming would represent the entire population of that state, about 596,000, while the 53 electors for California would each effectively represent about 738,000 people, much more on par with Wyoming. Such a change in the effective population representation of each elector would be much closer to the circumstances the Founders faced when the Electoral College was formed than what we currently have.
    Nope, then we're back to the same problem as a popular vote election.

If you erase 2 electoral votes from all of the lower-population states, they become mostly inconsequential.

The funny thing is that the Dems might be fucking themselves in the near future with all of this bitching about the electoral college.

This is because the GOP is slowly losing Texas. It's not going to flip in 2020, but it might very well go blue in 2024, and then stay that way for awhile.

This would be a disaster for the GOP, and would almost lock them out of winning any further Presidencies for a long time.

Texas has 38 electoral votes (and is rising). If Hillary had won Texas, she would have narrowly defeated Trump 270-268 (ignoring the faithless electors, who may have done what they did if it were that close).

This is despite the fact that Trump picked up Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Florida -- all states where the Dems have a small-to-moderate edge in modern Presidential elections.

The GOP doesn't have a Texas equivalent. They're not on the way to flipping any major state. The 2016 election was almost their best possible result (ignoring specific candidates) in a modern election.

It will be interesting to see if, once Texas flips, Democrats continue to bitch about the electoral college. I have a feeling they'll suddenly shut up at that point.

Comments

blake: this is correct

MumblesBadly: When the lowest population states are 1/60th the size of the largest state, their national political influence *should* be inconsequential!

Load Metric
    Is the electoral college a racist scam?

Fuck yeah it is.

Twice, in the past 20 years, the person with the least amount of votes won. Both times it was an old racist white guy with limited intelligence and who lies like hell.

Proof that your vote doesn't count.

America forces democracy around the world, forcing countries to select a leader with the most votes.

America is not a democracy. It is a Republic. And the person who gets the least amount of votes can become President. It will happen again. A democrat will never become President with the least of votes. Only racist Republicans who cheat like hell.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Anyone that wants to get rid of the electoral college is a fucking idiot. End thread.

Load Metric
    wasn't it put in place to preserve slavery or do i have that wrong

Platinum
    Load Metric
    New York City and California (where I live btw) would essentially decide the president. How long before several states say fuck you, I’m out?

Thread Information