Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: With regards to the best burger joint

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    At the risk of sounding like I've sold out, here is my opinion of the *burgers only* mentioned here so far:

1.) In-N-Out (TIE)
    1.) Five Guys (TIE)
    3.) Fuddruckers
    4.) Burger King
    5.) Steak and Shake (but killer fat I remember reading...like trans fats galore, the highest of any chain)
    6.) Carl's Jr.
    7.) Mcdonald's
    NA) Fatburger, Baron Burger, Tommy's, Whataburger, Regina Hotel Guinness Burger (not tested)

Fire Away, I know that list won't please anyone but myself.

And Druff, you've mentioned The Habit before...is that place any good? I was in Santa Barbara once but no one else in my party was hungry...

I think you can eat fast food burgers in moderation and be a rack. Avoid the fries / sugary soft drinks.
    Kinda forgot about The Habit. Yes, they are also good. Up at the top few, definitely.

Five Guys is also very good burger-wise. Not a fan of their fries. I know some people love their fries, but I find they get soggy too easily.

I agree with you that McDonald's burgers aren't very good.

I actually do like Fatburger. Their fries suck (they have the tendency to taste stale and hard), but I like the burgers. I used to live right by a Fatburger in Redondo Beach. Could never figure out the hours in that place. Some nights they would be open later than posted hours, some nights they'd close early. There's one inside of Harrah's Lake Tahoe.

Load Metric
    Burger Fi needs to be added to the conversations here. The burgers there are outstanding esp the CEO burger with the Aoli truffle oil.

The discussion should be more compartmentized by price point. It’s Completely fair to compare a Burger Fi burger to a Fuddruckers one where you are looking at $9. Not so fair to compare either one to a 5 Guys at $5 or McDonalds $1 (base model).

Load Metric
    Unknown entry for most of you except the south Florida folks, but in the next ten years I predict you will hear of Relish. The unquestioned best burger in West Palm Beach. You can get Bison, Elk and other exotic burgers there. The relishes you can get are fucking incredible. If you are into shakes they are incredible as well.

http://relishandmore.com/locations/

Load Metric
    This is a great listen on the history of Five Guys. A financial planner who had five sons. Guy was always taking shots at businesses - always with terrible results.

Every aspect of the story as it’s related here is gold.

Murrell tells his kids (oldest about 13 at the time), “look, you can go to college or we can take your college money and open this burger joint”.

He let his kids run it pretty much as they wanted. He kept his full time job. He let his kids source the product thinking they will buy what they like best and the customers will appreciate that too. He never informed them as to cost of material.

The kids would buy the most expensive pickles at retail not wholesale, for instance.

The kids bought bread from a local bakery. The bread cost was 5x McDonalds.

Later, Five Guys had a purchasing agent. The mayonnaise was bought from a guy who was tough to deal with, a prick. The purchasing agent said, “what difference does mayonnaise make?” The family set up a blind taste test and that mayonnaise won.

I like the part about Murrell’s wife keeping the books. My wife pays the vendors. No one would get paid on time if it were up to me. I’d string them out or be hustling them - or simply forget. Lotta people are hand to mouth and she takes care of little guys almost next day. I kinda enjoy toying with the perception she is the good guy and I’m the bad guy.

The financing and franchise aspect of the story is unique. Murrell and family still hold 75% - stunning.

I can’t walk into a Five Guys after listening to this without this story playing in my memory.

NPR How I Built This
    Five Guys: Jerry Murrell

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/07/53109...-jerry-murrell

Load Metric
    SALLY JUST OUT HERE CHUGGING 5 GUYS MAYONAIISE

Load Metric
    WOW I CANT EVEN SPELL MAYONNAISE RIGHT THE FIRST RUN THROUGH CUZ ITS THAT GROSS

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I guess I better not bring up the subject of supermarket sushi.

Thread Information