Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a medical condition which will be tough to treat, and it means the end of radio (for now)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Well, actually I didn't. I had my girlfriend do it because I was way too tired to deal with doing it.
    That may sound funny, but I had been up about 36 straight hours and was also super-stressed by what was going on.

Basically it had to be figured out how to prop it up to where it's the right height, not too steep, but not too flat, while not being uneven or uncomfortable.

Load Metric
    did not read the whole wall, but did the Dr mention a hiatal hernia being a possible cause? my dad had the same sometime and that's what it ended up being. 10 minute surgery and it was fixed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    did not read the whole wall, but did the Dr mention a hiatal hernia being a possible cause? my dad had the same sometime and that's what it ended up being. 10 minute surgery and it was fixed.
    Doctor didn't mention it.

May go to a second doctor for a second opinion. I hadn't heart of it until PAINLESSWON (who is a doctor, though not in this field) suggested it here.

I will say that the doctor looked down my throat with that scary-looking scope, said he saw LPR, and did not mention this. So you'd think he'd have seen it if that's what I had.

Also, these symptoms suddenly worsened, then got somewhat better, then worsened again, which is consistent with LPR.

Comments

splitthis: Cardiac needs ruled out first.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    That may sound funny, but I had been up about 36 straight hours and was also super-stressed by what was going on.

Basically it had to be figured out how to prop it up to where it's the right height, not too steep, but not too flat, while not being uneven or uncomfortable.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Don't want to worry you Druff but what I and my Dr. thought was heartburn, turned out to be angina.
    I know, a guy from Regina had angina. I jumped through all the hoops for a year thinking it was over consumption of bubbly drinks, cigarettes and hot sauce. Nope, angina
    The symptoms are very similar, I guess that's why they call it heartburn.
    Just a heads up old boy

Comments

splitthis: Hopefully do. Ruled that out before deciding it was this other dx. If not Druff should be in ER ruling it out.

Load Metric
    I just woke up.

Last night one was one of the most frustrating nights I've ever had.

I was EXHAUSTED but could not sleep due to this problem.

I even changed my bed to where it's now on a downward slope, kind of like a hospital bed can be. (This is recommended for LPR sufferers with sleeping problems.) Well, actually I didn't. I had my girlfriend do it because I was way too tired to deal with doing it.

The changed bed angle did help some -- it greatly lessened the feeling that I had to suddenly stand up in order to breathe.

Unfortunately, the lump sensation remained, and I couldn't fall asleep, even after having taken melatonin (a lighter-grade natural sleep aid). After a LOT of effort and frustration (over 2 hours), I fell asleep at 11:30pm, only to sleep just 2 hours, wake up, and still have the exact same issues.

Finally I bit the bullet and took a sleeping pill for the first time in my life.

That also was not the magic bullet I needed.

It made me even more tired, but I couldn't fall asleep . Got close a few times, but couldn't get there.

I also had some other problems. The Nexium appears to be causing some side effects, to where I am not even sure I want to continue with it. It caused some pain near my right rib which would radiate to my back, was causing dry mouth sensations (which I already naturally get to some degree, but this was severe), and also hot and cold flashes. I kept fluctuating between opening the window and lying down with no covers to closing the window and turning on a space heater. In addition, it felt like I had to constantly drink water in order to get rid of the dry mouth.

Ridiculous.

Finally I reasoned that, as long as I was sitting there thinking about all these problems, I would never sleep. So I decided to watch some TV on my laptop, to perhaps get my mind off of it. I opened up an old 1970s episode of Hawaii Five-O and watched it. This particular episode was kind of stressful involving people lying on the floor dead from nuclear exposure, and that made me again think of the uncomfortable feelings I had, so I closed it and opened another one. This other episode was much lighter -- a career scammer attempting to get revenge on McGarrett. Perfect. So I watched half of that, felt myself drifting off, and quickly closed the computer and shoved it off to the side.

Nope. Too late. Couldn't fall asleep again.

Opened the episode again, watched 15 minutes, again got super tired and started to drift off. Closed computer again, still a fail.

Watched episode to the end, and realized in the final few minutes that I'd probably need to watch yet another to try this again. But as the credits rolled, I found myself falling asleep again.

I stayed asleep! I even woke up once at 7:30, went to the bathroom, drank water, and got back in bed. Fell asleep quickly. Woke up briefly at unknown times and fell back asleep.

Naturally woke up at like 2:10pm. So through all of this, I got my sleep, though it was an immense amount of effort and frustration.

This is hell, though.

Mumbles, it sounds like you didn't have LPR, but rather traditional heartburn. I believe that, aside from dietary changes which are constant for both, the effective LPR treatment is different.

Gaviscon doesn't prevent your stomach from producing acid, but rather blocks the acids from moving up and irritating your throat, which is what has been happening to me. Some with LPR have said it's the "only thing that works".

I believe my problem is due to pepsin in my throat. What is pepsin?

LPR is caused by a combination of acid and the stomach enzyme pepsin.

The job of pepsin is to digest proteins in the stomach. If you have LPR, pepsin gets up into your throat and airways. There it goes on with its job: digesting. It’s just that pepsin now digests the cells of your airways. That does not sound good, does it?

Pepsin is highly influenced by the presence of acid.

The acidity is expressed by the pH. A pH of 1-2 is about the level of the empty stomach and is very acidic. A pH of 7 is neutral. Everything above is alkaline.

Usually, the pH in the throat is about neutral. Pepsin becomes inactive in such an environment. However, each time pepsin comes in contact with acidity, it becomes reactivated.

The lower the acidity is, the higher the damage potential of pepsin:

So Gaviscon suppoedly creates a foamy coating and prevents the pepsin from moving into the throat.

Alkaline water, which I'm now drinking (bought it last night) will permanently deactivate the pepsin it comes into contact with in my throat, which could otherwise sit there causing damage for as long as weeks.

However, it will NOT prevent the reflux from continuing and shooting new pepsins into my throat, so that's where the Gaviscon comes in.

I'm hoping that between the two of them, this problem will end, once my throat heals.

There are some who believe that alkaline water itself will not be effective enough to deactivate the pepsin, and that you need sodium bicarbonate to do it (baking soda). Those people suggest drinking baking soda water instead of commercial alkaline water. However, that solution can bring on high blood pressure, which I already have (mostly genetic), because you're ingesting tons of sodium. So I'd prefer to avoid that.

I am not drinking soda or orange juice anymore. They are both very acidic. This will be hard to stop but I have to because this is miserable.
    You are about to spin on the medical merry go round. Listen, you are having this problem because you are overweight and fill your body with shit food that your body is rebelling against. Got woke now and change! NOW.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Man, AIDS sounds horrible.

RIP to your world class immune system - or is this further indication of how robust it is?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Angina has many symptoms and sorry to say but a feeling of a lump in the throat is one of them
    The test you had tells the Dr. nothing about the percentage of clogged arteries to the heart you may have.
    That's the first thing they do when you are suffering a heart attack at the hospital.
    It lets them know whether you're going to need bypass surgery or a stent.
    This test is probably only available if you have the money for it or are having an attack.

I've got a picture/diagram of my arteries and what restriction caused my heart attack.
    It's something I would have loved to have had ten years ago.

Your symptoms of weakness or not feeling right are more aligned to angina than heartburn.
    You have the money, make the move.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I would research who is the best Ear, Nose, Throat doctor in your plan and maybe ask your brother if he has one, to get a second opinion as there may be more to this than what you were first told.
    The solution is probably going to be a slow recovery from where you are now, to something manageable but still slightly impaired following the recommended diet and exercise you should have been doing anyway but most people hate. Also anything you can do to improve breathing would help with your sleep. This may include the cpap machine or a septoplasty (deviated septum surgery). You may have been borderline needing these before but now with less oxygen I would look into it. At least temporarily try over the counter saline and breathe right strips to hold the nose open elevated head and different positions. Most important is to stay alive for your son even if you don't like all these lifestyle changes you have to do it anyway.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Ear, nose and throat guy??? He needs a gastroenterologist! Stat!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's not angina, les.

Too many amateur internet doctors focus upon one symptom, and then conclude they have what they think they found. While I appreciate some of the diagnoses provided here, I don't believe any of those are correct.

I have several pieces of evidence that this is LPR and nothing else:

- Lump in throat with no heartburn and no other symptoms

- Fluctuation from day to day regarding severity of symptoms

- Prior to this major flare up, I had signs it was happening before, and dismissed them as a mild annoyance. For example, when I would drink orange juice at night, I would feel an almost instant lump in my throat, but the feeling would subside within 30-60 minutes, so it wasn't a huge deal. But this would VERY MUCH match with the LPR situation where pepsins are sitting in your throat, waiting to activate from contact with acids.

- Extremely high risk factors for LPR -- frequent consumption of acidic drinks, frequent consumption of acidic foods, eating a lot of food in one sitting, eating/drinking shortly before bed, consuming caffeine (from soda and Excedrin), recent weight gain, and long bouts of uninterrupted talking (radio). Unfortunately, my entire lifestyle was pretty much the blueprint for getting LPR, minus alcohol/smoking, which I don't do.

- Doctor saw telltale throat irritation from LPR when he looked through the scope

I'm pretty sure this has been identified properly.

Now it's a matter of solving it.

For those saying, "You need to eat more healthy and exercise more", you're correct. And I'm going to do that.

And for those saying, "Stop drinking soda", you're also correct. I'm also going to do that.

But this isn't a simple function of unhealthy eating causing me problems. This is a situation with specific behaviors can bring this on, and it happens to match the way I was living. For example, I could continue eating unhealthy foods, but just stay away from acidic ones, and this would still improve.

But one positive side effect of all this is that it will likely force me to eat and drink in a far more healthy fashion and force me to exercise more. So maybe I'll actually live longer because this happened to me.

But I'll also probably have to buy pH strips and constantly test everything I eat for acidity, and that's a bigger pain in the ass than you think. For example, from what I can see, every single non-melon fruit is acidic.

So this is going to be a huge lifestyle burden, even if I do get a handle on the symptoms and return to normal.

Sucks.

Comments

JACKDANIELS: Good luck

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's not angina, les.

Too many amateur internet doctors focus upon one symptom, and then conclude they have what they think they found. While I appreciate some of the diagnoses provided here, I don't believe any of those are correct.

I have several pieces of evidence that this is LPR and nothing else:

- Lump in throat with no heartburn and no other symptoms

- Fluctuation from day to day regarding severity of symptoms

- Prior to this major flare up, I had signs it was happening before, and dismissed them as a mild annoyance. For example, when I would drink orange juice at night, I would feel an almost instant lump in my throat, but the feeling would subside within 30-60 minutes, so it wasn't a huge deal. But this would VERY MUCH match with the LPR situation where pepsins are sitting in your throat, waiting to activate from contact with acids.

- Extremely high risk factors for LPR -- frequent consumption of acidic drinks, frequent consumption of acidic foods, eating a lot of food in one sitting, eating/drinking shortly before bed, consuming caffeine (from soda and Excedrin), recent weight gain, and long bouts of uninterrupted talking (radio). Unfortunately, my entire lifestyle was pretty much the blueprint for getting LPR, minus alcohol/smoking, which I don't do.

- Doctor saw telltale throat irritation from LPR when he looked through the scope

I'm pretty sure this has been identified properly.

Now it's a matter of solving it.

For those saying, "You need to eat more healthy and exercise more", you're correct. And I'm going to do that.

And for those saying, "Stop drinking soda", you're also correct. I'm also going to do that.

But this isn't a simple function of unhealthy eating causing me problems. This is a situation with specific behaviors can bring this on, and it happens to match the way I was living. For example, I could continue eating unhealthy foods, but just stay away from acidic ones, and this would still improve.

But one positive side effect of all this is that it will likely force me to eat and drink in a far more healthy fashion and force me to exercise more. So maybe I'll actually live longer because this happened to me.

But I'll also probably have to buy pH strips and constantly test everything I eat for acidity, and that's a bigger pain in the ass than you think. For example, from what I can see, every single non-melon fruit is acidic.

So this is going to be a huge lifestyle burden, even if I do get a handle on the symptoms and return to normal.

Sucks.
    happy that you're so confident. My doctor is not looking so pretty after not even entertaining the possibility of arterial blockage.
    Oh btw, heart disease is in the top three for how we will meet our maker and you are an overweight under exercised specimen.
    Even if you're in apparent good shape (David Letterman) there is a chance your genes are going to mess with you.
    Don't have the test, I don't give a flying fuck.
    Also, I have not had one incident of what I thought was heartburn since my stent and I can drink all the carbonated beverages and hot sauces till the cows come home. Not one symptom of what I thought was heartburn.

One last note, these symptoms I was having were dead ugly/scary. I thought I was having a heart attack and
    it turns out it was just the prelude.
    What have you got to lose but a few bucks and your stupid pride?
    Last edited by limitles; 08-22-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Load Metric
    Druff, I will share one other observation I had about my acid reflux that surprised my doctor: When I went from 255 to 235 in about 3 months of almost daily 30-minute use of a simple non-electric treadmill (increasingly at a bit of steep angle), my symptoms disappeared completely. And I didn’t get them back until I gained back the weight about 13 tears later.

The doctor was actually surprised when I said this, and we together speculated that perhaps the core exercise from walking so much, and the reduced internal pressure from a less-fatfilled torso allowed the diaphram to make a normal constriction of the bottom of esophagus versus a less effective one if excess torso fat around the top of the stomach pushes the diaphram up from its normal position.

So, ummm... Are you giving any thought to starting a regular exercise regimen?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Druff, I will share one other observation I had about my acid reflux that surprised my doctor: When I went from 255 to 235 in about 3 months of almost daily 30-minute use of a simple non-electric treadmill (increasingly at a bit of steep angle), my symptoms disappeared completely. And I didn’t get them back until I gained back the weight about 13 tears later.

The doctor was actually surprised when I said this, and we together speculated that perhaps the core exercise from walking so much, and the reduced internal pressure from a less-fatfilled torso allowed the diaphram to make a normal constriction of the bottom of esophagus versus a less effective one if excess torso fat around the top of the stomach pushes the diaphram up from its normal position.

So, ummm... Are you giving any thought to starting a regular exercise regimen?
    lol as alway, maybe my favourite poster.

but with angina, exercise or any facsimile brings on the symptoms. Again, I thought it was all diet related. I had days walking the dog where I would have to stop every other block. Not once did I pin it to heart issues.
    How thick or cheap must you be to ignore this.
    I'm the dumbass and I got lucky

Load Metric
    Did you try praying? 🙏

Comments

duped_samaritan: ��
    Me defeating Druff 100 BB heads up - http://youtu.be/LmxTH0rZaLk?t=2h12m35s

Load Metric
    running this website at a loss leaves little time for exercise, nerds.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    You just had to brag about not being sick that much this year.

Load Metric
    Yup Todge needs to spend more time running and losing weight and less time running this site at a loss

Comments

gauchojake: rofl

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I'm trying to gain weight and get jacked like the Misfits

Comments

gauchojake: where eagles dare

Load Metric
    Really tho, losing weight is the easiest thing in the world besides making money. If you want to lose weight all ya gotta do is stop shoving food down yer gullet. Its not like a fat person is going to starve to death.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SetofKs View Post
    Really tho, losing weight is the easiest thing in the world besides making money. If you want to lose weight all ya gotta do is stop shoving food down yer gullet. Its not like a fat person is going to starve to death.
    Meth helps as well

Thread Information