Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a medical condition which will be tough to treat, and it means the end of radio (for now)

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    todd, im trying to gain weight back, your trying to lose. save some weight and ill snag it off you if you make it here next year lol

yes im fried

Comments

Username: Amish drug czars gotta look legit, Chapsy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    When you actually swallow food, does it relent during the actual swallowing only to return worse after you eat? Like does the food going down provide a momentary relief to that lump feeling, but the after effects make you not want to eat?
    No, I don't get any of that.

Swallowing is fine. Never had an issue with that.

Eating doesn't relief to the lump feeling. It makes it worse, especially if it's something acidic (which I avoid).

My current theory is that the food actually irritates my throat on its way down, and not from refluxing back up.

Picture your throat being red/irritated, and anything passing through will kinda bother it, especially if acidic. That's what I think is going on.
    still, IMO, stop swallowing.
    Right, hongkonger?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Chaps, don’t hijack Druff’s thread - but tell the boys about the Oscar nod.

Comments

DJ_Chaps: omg this pill is god

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ben brought home a cold about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

I tried very very hard to avoid getting it. It was a particularly nasty one, where he had blisters in his throat (subsided after 2 days), then a heaviness in his chest and ear pain, and then a deep cough. At the moment, the deep cough remains, but everything else is gone.

Ben's mom caught it 5-6 days ago, and had similar symptoms, except no blisters in throat.

Sadly I now have it too, except with me, it's just presenting as a normal cold. I had the chest heaviness and ear pain last night, but that quickly subsided. Right now it's a run-of-the-mill cold, which I'd normally be used to, but combined with the LPR symptoms, it's really difficult to deal with. I bought some Vitamin C gummies (500mg each) and am taking one per day. Probably not enough to make a difference, and the power of Vitamin C against colds is controversial anyway, but I don't want to take more because it's known to worsen LPR symptoms!

I bought some Sudafed today. You know, the stuff people were using to make meth. Had to show my ID and all that jazz. Bought the lower-dose version because I heard it can make you jittery and have difficulty sleeping, which I already have right now.

Sure enough, that's exactly what it did. It seemed to do a reasonable job knocking out the nasal symptoms for about 4 hours. Throat irritation increased for some reason (not sure if related to the meds). But I felt more anxious and on edge. Took my heart rate and resting pulse was around 88 (it's normally around 62, even with all of this crap going on). Since the Sudafed wore off, it's down to around 80, probably because of the cold (in May, I found my heart rate over 100 during a cold, which I read is actually normal and harmless.)

Anyway, obviously I can't take this before bed, or it will be a disaster. I guess it's okay if I'm feeling congested during the day.

Due to the cold, I had to reschedule my videostroboscopy, which was supposed to be Wednesday. Now it will be a week later, and only if I'm better. I don't want cold symptoms screwing up the results of the stroboscopy. I want them to see my throat as it is normally, not how it is when dealing with a cold.

Results of my 13-vial blood test came back. All normal, including two values which were abnormal on September 7, which have since fallen very much back into normal range. So I guess that's a relief.

The cold seems to have kicked up my anxiety again, and I lost a little weight in the past day, despite eating normally.

I can lose about another 35 pounds before I'll have to start worrying about starting to get too thin. I can probably lose another 60 pounds before I'll have to start worrying about actual health problems from being underweight, so we are awhile away from that.

Load Metric
    I bought some Sudafed today. You know, the stuff people were using to make meth. Had to show my ID and all that jazz. Bought the lower-dose version because I heard it can make you jittery and have difficulty sleeping, which I already have right now.

Sure enough, that's exactly what it did. It seemed to do a reasonable job knocking out the nasal symptoms for about 4 hours. Throat irritation increased for some reason (not sure if related to the meds). But I felt more anxious and on edge. Took my heart rate and resting pulse was around 88 (it's normally around 62, even with all of this crap going on). Since the Sudafed wore off, it's down to around 80, probably because of the cold (in May, I found my heart rate over 100 during a cold, which I read is actually normal and harmless.)

Anyway, obviously I can't take this before bed, or it will be a disaster. I guess it's okay if I'm feeling congested during the day.

Due to the cold, I had to reschedule my videostroboscopy, which was supposed to be Wednesday. Now it will be a week later, and only if I'm better. I don't want cold symptoms screwing up the results of the stroboscopy. I want them to see my throat as it is normally, not how it is when dealing with a cold.

The cold seems to have kicked up my anxiety again, and I lost a little weight in the past day, despite eating normally.
    Stimulants can have an effect to anxiety and they elevate heart rate. Pseudoephedrine isn't that strong of a stimulant, but it's strong enough to be useful against colds. Stimulants also suppress hunger.

Load Metric
    Druff, have you tried Honeygar? (yes it's what it sounds like).

I sometimes take Apple Cider vinegar in water. Surprisingly, although it would seem acidic (and it is going down), the body breaks it down into alkaline components which reduces your body's system acidity. I dunno...I just read about someone with LPR taking this and it really helped them (they said they took their ____azole meds earlier in the day and that helped too).

I don't take the honey part. I just put the ACV (try to use Bragg's with "mother" or another organic one) diluted in water once in while. The first time I tried it I drank it undiluted and literally almost died when I couldn't breathe for over a minute...didn't know it was supposed to be diluted and I drank way over a tablespoon.

It's cold season again. After us not having a cold since last December, I've just had one go through my household too. You forget how much they suck...but in the end they're usually harmless.
    Last edited by Forum Wars; 09-25-2018 at 03:39 AM.

Load Metric
    Time to put the head and shoulders away and break out the Geritol.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    I’m getting the jeebies just thinking about you taking sudafed with as bad as your anxiety has been. When mine was at its worst, I didn’t know, and took a 24 hour Claritin. One of the shittier days of my life. Just recall pacing for hours with the time release

Load Metric
    Think everybody I know has had a cold in the past 2 weeks (myself included). It's freaky just how fast they spread across the globe.

Imagine if something a lot more sinister went airborne like the common cold? We'd all be fucked.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric

I tried very very hard to avoid getting it. It was a particularly nasty one, where he had blisters in his throat (subsided after 2 days), then a heaviness in his chest and ear pain, and then a deep cough. At the moment, the deep cough remains, but everything else is gone.

Ben's mom caught it 5-6 days ago, and had similar symptoms, except no blisters in throat.

Sadly I now have it too, except with me, it's just presenting as a normal cold. I had the chest heaviness and ear pain last night, but that quickly subsided. Right now it's a run-of-the-mill cold, which I'd normally be used to, but combined with the LPR symptoms, it's really difficult to deal with. I bought some Vitamin C gummies (500mg each) and am taking one per day. Probably not enough to make a difference, and the power of Vitamin C against colds is controversial anyway, but I don't want to take more because it's known to worsen LPR symptoms!

Results of my 13-vial blood test came back. All normal, including two values which were abnormal on September 7, which have since fallen very much back into normal range. So I guess that's a relief.

I can lose about another 35 pounds before I'll have to start worrying about starting to get too thin. I can probably lose another 60 pounds before I'll have to start worrying about actual health problems from being underweight, so we are awhile away from that.

This has to be another level.

Bro u aren't even fucking sick.

Honestly u r gonna lose your gf if u really r acting like this at home. If u were fcking sick they have to take a knife to u.

It's like a wise man once said. "U r acting like a Hypochondriac who hangs at the Laundromat"

Comments

duped_samaritan: omg...thebadguy is 100% right

Load Metric

I have a lot of respect for Druff. I enjoy the radio and everything he brings to this forum. But with all due respect, this forum is a dumpster fire. It has effected your health as well as been a pain in the ass to family members and friends. It does way more harm than good. There is very little difference between you and the alcoholic that continues to drink despite the obvious negative consequences. All the good posters have left because they dont want to deal with psychos in real life.

If you continue to keep this forum up you know you are putting your family and friends at jeopardy. So this is now on you . You are addicted to something that hurts people. I have no sympathy for anything that happens to you moving forward as you continue to engage in obvious self destructive behavior that is going to hurt you or someone you care about.
    "It just goes to show the kind of person you are , I got no toe"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by igotnotoe View Post

I have a lot of respect for Druff. I enjoy the radio and everything he brings to this forum. But with all due respect, this forum is a dumpster fire. It has effected your health as well as been a pain in the ass to family members and friends. It does way more harm than good. There is very little difference between you and the alcoholic that continues to drink despite the obvious negative consequences. All the good posters have left because they dont want to deal with psychos in real life.

If you continue to keep this forum up you know you are putting your family and friends at jeopardy. So this is now on you . You are addicted to something that hurts people. I have no sympathy for anything that happens to you moving forward as you continue to engage in obvious self destructive behavior that is going to hurt you or someone you care about.

Load Metric
    Druff, my bro was going through exactly what you are, its like reading his story. Any ways he finally had a full scope, scans etc today and guess what. He does have reflux due to a partially opening valve BUT not why you'd think. He was told he has a small hernia that is causing it because it runs through or by this tear and or pushes up into the opening.

He is getting scheduled for surgery soon. After a year of exactly what you are going through, odd ending but they say it will stop the reflux. They think the hernia was from birth and as he aged it enlarged. Not even freakin food related!

Any ways just a thought are they sure you are hernia free?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    Druff, my bro was going through exactly what you are, its like reading his story. Any ways he finally had a full scope, scans etc today and guess what. He does have reflux due to a partially opening valve BUT not why you'd think. He was told he has a small hernia that is causing it because it runs through or by this tear and or pushes up into the opening.

He is getting scheduled for surgery soon. After a year of exactly what you are going through, odd ending but they say it will stop the reflux. They think the hernia was from birth and as he aged it enlarged. Not even freakin food related!

Any ways just a thought are they sure you are hernia free?
    Like a hiatal hernia? That's usually the cause of reflux. At least it's my cause but it's never gotten so bad that surgery was required. For me it was prilosec and fine. Could be something for Druff to look into for sure. I'm sure he's already had an endoscopy though which would identify the hernia.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah, he's probably talking about a hiatal hernia.

While this is possible, it's not likely. That is more associated with GERD and traditional heartburn than LPR.

DonaldTrumpsHairPiece, can you tell me more about your brother's specific symptoms, and what they did to diagnose it?

The other problem is that a lot of people have a hiatal hernia, and are asymptomatic. So even if they were to find a small hiatal hernia in me, that doesn't mean that fixing it surgically would help me here. A large hiatal hernia would likely be related to the problem, though.

In general, unless something is obvious, I want to avoid surgery because of all the potential complications. There are many LPR horror stories where someone goes under the knife for a magical, all-curing surgery, only to find that it worsened their problems or brought on new ones. This is partially due to the wide variance of reasons people get LPR. If you treat the wrong suspected cause, you might actually make things worse. That's part of the huge frustration with this condition -- you're often damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This is different than many other medical issues where a likely problem is found, you go under the knife, and it's corrected. If you get surgery related to your LPR, you had better be damn sure that the cause has properly been identified.

My approach right now is both to add the variables together and to try low-risk solutions, where even if I'm wrong, it won't hurt anything.

Even the Prilosec/Nexium medication course isn't without risk. For LPR, it's said that you need a minimum of three months of a double dose of the stuff, as opposed to the usual 14-day single-dose course needed for GERD. That's a big problem, because such medication has been shown to have a high failure rate for LPR, and people have reported bad rebound effects coming off such medication, such as the appearance of never-before-seen GERD symptoms.

The cold I have right now is interesting, because it's mostly removed the "choking when lying down" sensation I had, and the lump in throat thing is less bothersome. At the same time, the cold has worsened the throat-clearing and vocal symptoms. Overall, the LPR is LESS bothersome with this cold since it showed up. It is unclear what this means, but it's got to be some clue. I am guessing the LPR symptoms will return to how they were before once this cold goes away. This cold, by the way, is of less-than-average severity. Some of my colds are terrible, but this one isn't.

Load Metric

While this is possible, it's not likely. That is more associated with GERD and traditional heartburn than LPR.

DonaldTrumpsHairPiece, can you tell me more about your brother's specific symptoms, and what they did to diagnose it?

The other problem is that a lot of people have a hiatal hernia, and are asymptomatic. So even if they were to find a small hiatal hernia in me, that doesn't mean that fixing it surgically would help me here. A large hiatal hernia would likely be related to the problem, though.

In general, unless something is obvious, I want to avoid surgery because of all the potential complications. There are many LPR horror stories where someone goes under the knife for a magical, all-curing surgery, only to find that it worsened their problems or brought on new ones. This is partially due to the wide variance of reasons people get LPR. If you treat the wrong suspected cause, you might actually make things worse. That's part of the huge frustration with this condition -- you're often damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This is different than many other medical issues where a likely problem is found, you go under the knife, and it's corrected. If you get surgery related to your LPR, you had better be damn sure that the cause has properly been identified.

My approach right now is both to add the variables together and to try low-risk solutions, where even if I'm wrong, it won't hurt anything.

Even the Prilosec/Nexium medication course isn't without risk. For LPR, it's said that you need a minimum of three months of a double dose of the stuff, as opposed to the usual 14-day single-dose course needed for GERD. That's a big problem, because such medication has been shown to have a high failure rate for LPR, and people have reported bad rebound effects coming off such medication, such as the appearance of never-before-seen GERD symptoms.

The cold I have right now is interesting, because it's mostly removed the "choking when lying down" sensation I had, and the lump in throat thing is less bothersome. At the same time, the cold has worsened the throat-clearing and vocal symptoms. Overall, the LPR is LESS bothersome with this cold since it showed up. It is unclear what this means, but it's got to be some clue. I am guessing the LPR symptoms will return to how they were before once this cold goes away. This cold, by the way, is of less-than-average severity. Some of my colds are terrible, but this one isn't.
    You've had an endoscopy, correct?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by igotnotoe View Post

Different discussion for a different thread (I'll separate it into its own thread if people are interested in a lengthy discussion of the matter), but here's my answer:

The site has its positives and negatives for me.

It's not like alcoholism where it's almost all negative, but the person can't see it.

The forum's existence is somewhat therapeutic for me. Always has been. Most days I enjoy coming here, and not just because of addiction. Occasionally it also yields some interesting discussions, as well as useful information. This thread itself is a good example of a productive discussion of an important topic.

There are short periods of time where the forum becomes stressful for me. This includes if I have a habitual troll who is just here to irritate me (though this is fixable by a ban), or when controversial situations occur where it's difficult or impossible to make a decision which will avoid pissing off/alienating people. It's also stressful when something on the forum harms me or other users here, such as through scams or outside-the-forum harassment. However, this is fairly rare and nowhere near a regular occurrence.

Also, having a long history of being in free-speech type online/phone communities, I've learned how to handle things pretty well. I can turn the heat on someone pretty hard if they fuck with me, but I only do this to people who try to screw with my real life. But this honestly doesn't happen too often, and when it does, I get it taken care of. Sometimes it just involves contacting the person with the issue and having an adult discussion with them, and settling our differences maturely. Only once in awhile do I have to take further action.

At the same time, I can understand that this community isn't for everyone. If any psychos have harassed you or your family as a result of your participation here, obviously it's very reasonable for you to leave the community forever. I do think that the vast majority of people here -- even some of the trolls -- are mostly decent people who are not interested in bothering anyone in real life.

I do encourage anyone who has ongoing issues with me to message me privately, so we can discuss it. I am willing to hear you out.

I do miss radio a lot. Radio is admittedly less stressful than the forum, but I like both.

I also keep this thing up because I don't want to end the long, ongoing community which started at NWP. Yes, some replacement would probably spring up, but I have a feeling that such a replacement would eventually die and become a ghost town, like what happened to DD.

Load Metric
    I am still going with something autoimmune, in addition to anxiety. You’ve had psoriasis? Right? which is autoimmune disorder. There is a lot of autoimmune disorders that have laryngeal involvement. Obviously this is just pure guesses, but since ones immune system is needed to fight off a cold, it lessening would be logical given almost all auto-immune disorders are an immune system overreaction.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

You've had an endoscopy, correct?
    I haven't.

Not up to that yet.

Believe it or not, endoscopies also come with some complications, especially involving LPR, where again, sometimes they cause symptoms to worsen or for GERD to suddenly show up with it.

I'm not ruling out having one done, but I'm not jumping to do it at the moment.

Endoscopies are also not nearly as effective at identifying LPR problems as they are for GERD (which it sounds like you had).

If an endoscopy would give me a high chance of identifying the problem here, I would throw caution to the wind and get one done right away.

From what I've read in reports by longtime LPR sufferers, endoscopies have rarely helped them identify or solve their problem.

I have probably done 100+ hours of reading about LPR at this point, which has been a mixture of personal reports from others with the conditions, medical websites, medical journals, National Institute of Health studies, etc.

The one thing I've come away believing: This is incredibly tough to treat, mostly due to the inability to properly identify the cause, which varies in every individual. You have to be very careful before you engage in anything risky to treat it, or you can make things worse, or bring on other problems.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I am still going with something autoimmune, in addition to anxiety. You’ve had psoriasis? Right? which is autoimmune disorder. There is a lot of autoimmune disorders that have laryngeal involvement. Obviously this is just pure guesses, but since ones immune system is needed to fight off a cold, it lessening would be logical given almost all auto-immune disorders are an immune system overreaction.
    Never had psoriasis. I've had eczema, but that was localized to one area and easily treated (a few years ago) with a miracle cream.

If I had to take my best guess right now, I would say this is a combination of postnasal drip (cause unknown, perhaps some kind of nasal/sinus disorder?) and vocal abuse (radio).

However, the removal of radio not fixing this either means some kind of damage was done which hasn't healed, or radio wasn't a factor.

The anxiety seems to be more of a reaction to the LPR than the cause of it, though I'm willing to believe that it might be a vicious cycle where one worsens the other.

I will say that I've noticed that the anxiety worsens and improves, and that doesn't seem to bring down the LPR. However, when the LPR worsens, it does ramp up the anxiety, which bolsters my theory that it's the LPR driving the anxiety, and not the other way around.

The anxiety seems to be 50% related to worrying about the LPR and my general health, and 50% happening on its own. That is, I will have bad anxiety days at times for no reason, and other days I can see a direct cause to the anxiety (usually health concerns). However, I do believe that if the LPR vanishes or massively subsides, so will the anxiety.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Miracle cream rep

HoodedN: ^ that’s what she said

Thread Information