Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: I have a medical condition which will be tough to treat, and it means the end of radio (for now)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    No you have a mental condition and it rules everything. So I've been following this thread and I don't recall you considering the bacteria bullshit that you posted last. Not a word of it but somehow you suspected this as a possibility.
    Not to mention the signals that point to such an infection were pretty much absent from your daily run down of being unable to swallow etc. I call bullshit as usual from you.

This site is full of bullshitters but don't expect everyone to swallow( ahem)

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    No you have a mental condition and it rules everything. So I've been following this thread and I don't recall you considering the bacteria bullshit that you posted last. Not a word of it but somehow you suspected this as a possibility.
    Not to mention the signals that point to such an infection were pretty much absent from your daily run down of being unable to swallow etc. I call bullshit as usual from you.

speak for yourself. ❤️

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Tested positive for H.Pylori bacterial infection in stomach.

About to start (difficult) treatment of high powered antibiotics and Prilosec (which I didn't tolerate very well in August) to get rid of it.

What is H.Pylori? Read this: https://www.allinthelighting.com/h-p...f-you-have-it/

Cliffs: Many people have it (perhaps more than half the US population), and it can sit in you for decades with no symptoms. However, it is advised to treat it if it appears you might be having symptoms associated with it. In my case, the LPR and mild abdominal pain, both of which started within a close time frame, are both associated with H.pylori.

Treating it is controversial, though. You also might be removing some beneficial aspects of H.pylori, and the high powered antibiotics are also known to cause their own set of problems in some people. There is also some believe that H.pylori helps PREVENT esophageal cancer. On the plus side, this could potentially solve some of my issues, and even if it doesn't, I'm definitely lowering my chance of future stomach cancer and stomach ulcers by getting rid of it.

Anyway, the treatment lasts two weeks. Gotta take TWO high dose antibiotics AND Prilosec, TWICE a day.

Probably gonna feel awful, appetite will probably be suppressed (Prilosec did that to me last time), and hopefully nothing else will happen.

Long two weeks coming up. Will probably start tomorrow or Wednesday.

Possible I may have to do this all over again if H.pylori is resistant to it. If I caught it fairly recently, it will be easier to get rid of. I will retest for it in 6 weeks.

I suspected H.pylori as a possible cause because of both the abdominal pain I've experienced AND the fact that my LPR showed up very abruptly, as opposed to gradually came on, and for none of the usual abrupt causes (surgery, illness, etc). So I suspected perhaps it was an infection of some kind that made this happen.
    Stay on the antibiotics...interesting read:

The Doctor Who Drank Infectious Broth, Gave Himself an Ulcer, and Solved a Medical Mystery

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar...edical-mystery

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Ok, who pissed on this guys cheerios?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    Tested positive for H.Pylori bacterial infection in stomach.

About to start (difficult) treatment of high powered antibiotics and Prilosec (which I didn't tolerate very well in August) to get rid of it.

What is H.Pylori? Read this: https://www.allinthelighting.com/h-p...f-you-have-it/

Cliffs: Many people have it (perhaps more than half the US population), and it can sit in you for decades with no symptoms. However, it is advised to treat it if it appears you might be having symptoms associated with it. In my case, the LPR and mild abdominal pain, both of which started within a close time frame, are both associated with H.pylori.

Treating it is controversial, though. You also might be removing some beneficial aspects of H.pylori, and the high powered antibiotics are also known to cause their own set of problems in some people. There is also some believe that H.pylori helps PREVENT esophageal cancer. On the plus side, this could potentially solve some of my issues, and even if it doesn't, I'm definitely lowering my chance of future stomach cancer and stomach ulcers by getting rid of it.

Anyway, the treatment lasts two weeks. Gotta take TWO high dose antibiotics AND Prilosec, TWICE a day.

Probably gonna feel awful, appetite will probably be suppressed (Prilosec did that to me last time), and hopefully nothing else will happen.

Long two weeks coming up. Will probably start tomorrow or Wednesday.

Possible I may have to do this all over again if H.pylori is resistant to it. If I caught it fairly recently, it will be easier to get rid of. I will retest for it in 6 weeks.

I suspected H.pylori as a possible cause because of both the abdominal pain I've experienced AND the fact that my LPR showed up very abruptly, as opposed to gradually came on, and for none of the usual abrupt causes (surgery, illness, etc). So I suspected perhaps it was an infection of some kind that made this happen.

The Doctor Who Drank Infectious Broth, Gave Himself an Ulcer, and Solved a Medical Mystery

Interesting article.

Haven't started the treatment yet. Probably will do after Thanksgiving. I'm going to buy some recommended probiotics to do along with it, to hopefully lessen the side effects, and maybe also increase the therapy's effectiveness.

Would be a freaking miracle if killing the H.Pylori also fixes the LPR, but I have to acknowledge that this isn't the experience most have with it.

Still, I suspect I may have an ulcer (constant dull pain in my lower-right abdomen), and killing the H.Pylori also will mostly wipe out my chance of stomach cancer in the future. I even consulted my brother and he said that the controversy about treating it has been resolved in recent years, and the strong belief now is that you should treat it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post

Interesting article.

Haven't started the treatment yet. Probably will do after Thanksgiving. I'm going to buy some recommended probiotics to do along with it, to hopefully lessen the side effects, and maybe also increase the therapy's effectiveness.

Would be a freaking miracle if killing the H.Pylori also fixes the LPR, but I have to acknowledge that this isn't the experience most have with it.

Still, I suspect I may have an ulcer (constant dull pain in my lower-right abdomen), and killing the H.Pylori also will mostly wipe out my chance of stomach cancer in the future. I even consulted my brother and he said that the controversy about treating it has been resolved in recent years, and the strong belief now is that you should treat it.
    Why wait?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Interesting article.

Why wait?
    Because the treatment makes many people very sick for 2 weeks, and I don't want it preventing me from seeing family on Thanksgiving.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Tomorrow I start a semi-natural medicine regimen to go after my H.Pylori.

I bailed on the antibiotics/Prilosec combo because, for whatever reason, I tolerate PPIs (Prilosec, Nexium, etc) very poorly. Most people tolerate them well, which is why they sell so well. Unfortunately, I am in the small percentage of people who get hellish side effects on them (though I've read other stories like this on LPR/H.Pylori forums). I did not start the antibiotics portion yet, so I was able to bail out.

The high dose antibiotics are actually the portion known to give the bad side effects to a lot of people, and the PPI is supposed to be the "easy" part. So I decided to try a natural treatment first.

Mastic Gum (this isn't really gum, but is a supplement from tree sap in Greece) -- proven in medical studies to kill H.Pylori
    Pepto Bismol 4 times per day on an empty stomach (H.Pylori is said to hate bismuth, the main ingredient in Pepto)
    N-Acetylcysteine, aka NAC - known as a "bioflim disruptor", which basically helps get the H.Pylori out of hiding
    Selenium and Molybdenum -- said to lessen the ill feeling people sometimes get when H.Pylori is dying in them (known as "die-off")
    Floristor (S. Boulardii) - A probiotic known to be helpful in fighting H.Pylori
    "20 Billion" priobiotic - Restores 10 different kinds of good bacteria in the stomach
    Extra virgin olive oil - Counteracts some of the constipation brought on by the Floristor and Pepto

I am also going to return to an awful bland diet which will rob me of any joy of eating for the next few weeks (and I'll probably lose more weight).

Many of the items above are recommended anyway by doctors, even if you do the PPI/antibiotic treatment of H.Pylori.

If this fails, I may have no choice and will have to endure the really bad 2 weeks on the PPI/antibiotics, but I'd really like to avoid that.

It is likely I currently have an ulcer from the H.Pylori, which may or may not explain the rest of my symptoms.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Druff are you gonna smoke weed to help with the nausea and shit? please do

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    Druff are you gonna smoke weed to help with the nausea and shit? please do
    You mean during the treatment?

I'm hoping I don't get nausea. This natural one is more associated with stomach pain, from what I hear. But no, I'm not ready to smoke weed yet.

Though I'd do it if I thought it would really help.

Load Metric
    I have found the thread interesting. I have been incredibly surprised how many have had similar issues.

People don’t really get into their medical problems and treatments in my world. It’s something new.

If I were to name one thing I take away from this it is that there is an online group for every malady. Never thought about it before.

I wonder if the groups you reference are Facebook? Cause I would have to consider whether death is preferable to FB. I want my life to have meant something, ya know?

Good luck with the treatment Druff.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That kilgoreittis is serious business

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Another medication setback.

Was about to begin my supplement/probiotics regimen against H.Pylori, but decided I would test each part one by one, to isolate any portion I can't tolerate well.

Decided to go first with NAC, and it didn't go well.

Felt a burning sensation in my esophagus, which lasted at least 6 hours, starting about 20 minutes after taking it. I'm still feeling the effects from it, but they've lessened somewhat. Also, at around the 5-6 hour mark, I developed some pain in my hands and fingers, which also is still somewhat present.

While gastro-related side effects aren't that uncommon with NAC (they occur to about 10%-18% of people taking it), these were unpleasant enough to where I don't want to continue with it, especially because the NAC isn't essential and can be replaced by other biofilm disruptors.

So I'm bailing on the NAC, which fortunately only cost me $5.

I'm going to replace it with monolaurin, which from what I'm reading, also seems to be better tolerated and less toxic anyway. However, I have seen complaints from some people that the monolaurin caused them side effects.

It is worth noting that the only other person in the H.Pylori forum to have complained about NAC side effects also had LPR, and their side effects were similar to mine. I only found this AFTER my side effects, so it wasn't a case of reading this first and expecting them.

It's funny, because before all of this, I didn't have a problem with side effects from medications. I was always in the "I don't have a problem with this at all, even though others do" camp. Prior to my problems beginning August 2018, I can't even think of a single medication which my body tolerated poorly.

But now I've run into unusually bad tolerance of PPIs (Prilosec/Nexium), NAC, and Lexapro, though the latter I'm glad I bailed on, because I don't think it was the right time to resign myself to getting dependent upon something like that (and I've gotten the anxiety about 75% under control without it).

The only medication/supplement which I have tolerated better than average was D-Limonene. It causes stomach issues and reflux for some people, but I had zero side effects on it, and I took it for over a month. Sadly, it didn't help, either. However, it did demonstrate to me that I'm not imagining the side effects for the other stuff (known as the "nocebo effect"), because I actually DID expect side effects from the D-Limonene, yet I had none.

I'm going to wait another day or two to completely recover from the NAC side effects, and then I'll take a shot at the important one -- the Mastic Gum. That's the centerpiece of the supplement treatment of H.Pylori.

Under the heading of, "Bad things to have which might be good in this case", my high blood pressure may actually be a good thing in tolerating Mastic Gum, as the biggest issues tend to come from people with normal blood pressure, as it has been known to lower blood pressure and cause issues for some people. It has been noted that people with high blood pressure like me often get a side benefit of the blood pressure dropping to normal levels, rather than low for people who were already at normal levels. It's similar to how I was fortunate to be overweight when I involuntarily lost 30 pounds at the end of the summer, as I didn't have to worry about my weight dropping to dangerously low levels, and in fact I probably benefited long term from that weight loss, even though it was somewhat unhealthy to have dropped it so quickly. I have read posts from women who were 5'6'" and 120 pounds when they were hit with involuntary weight loss, and they had a big problem maintaining a healthy minimum weight.

I am also considering adding Manuka Honey (from New Zealand) to my regimen, as that is also said to help with both LPR and H.Pylori.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, under the "Winter is coming" heading, I am having a bit more of an issue with falling asleep now that it's gotten cold outside.

My area of southern California gets cool at night in the winter, usually dropping to the mid-40s after sundown, and the low temperature landing near freezing. Last night was the first cold night, hitting 38 degrees.

This, of course, necessitates more heating, which dries the air. So while the humidity outside is fine, it's dry indoors.

I have found that my choking sensation when lying down is most aggravated in dry environments, hence the reason that the Biotene Dry Mouth rinse probably works to lessen that sensation. Anyway, since it's gotten colder, I'm feeling more of the choking thing again, which sucks. Not as bad as it was originally, and now I also have the Biotene to use, but that sensation was mostly gone for awhile, provided I slept on a bed sloping downhill (or a wedge pillow).

Even if I do kill off the H.Pylori, that may be completely unrelated to my LPR. This may be something I have for life.

Load Metric
    Humidifier might be a good idea to help with sleep.

Load Metric
    Also, under the "Winter is coming" heading, I am having a bit more of an issue with falling asleep now that it's gotten cold outside.

My area of southern California gets cool at night in the winter, usually dropping to the mid-40s after sundown, and the low temperature landing near freezing. Last night was the first cold night, hitting 38 degrees.

This, of course, necessitates more heating, which dries the air. So while the humidity outside is fine, it's dry indoors.

I have found that my choking sensation when lying down is most aggravated in dry environments, hence the reason that the Biotene Dry Mouth rinse probably works to lessen that sensation. Anyway, since it's gotten colder, I'm feeling more of the choking thing again, which sucks. Not as bad as it was originally, and now I also have the Biotene to use, but that sensation was mostly gone for awhile, provided I slept on a bed sloping downhill (or a wedge pillow).

Even if I do kill off the H.Pylori, that may be completely unrelated to my LPR. This may be something I have for life.
    To address dry indoor air at night during the winter (or anytime), use a room humidifier. I had the same problem even on the East Coast when the heavy mineral deposits in the city water kept clogging up the humidifier evap filter on the forced-air heater. Got a room humidifier from Costco for $60 and it worked like a charm as long as I kept its reservoir full of water.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Already using one with distilled water.

I think it helps but isn't quite enough.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It seems I'm keeping the weight off, though I'm not continuing to lose. That's the one upside to this entire awful situation.

In case anyone's curious, here is my weight history over the years of my adult life. Notice I started out very skinny, and slowly gained over the years. When I was 15-19, if I didn't consciously force myself to eat a lot, I would LOSE weight, which bothered me a lot (for looks reasons, not health reasons). That changed starting from around age 20. Then I gained about 5 pounds per year until reaching 200, and was there for many years before gaining again starting at age 37.

I went on a diet shortly before turning 41, which dropped about 24 pounds in about 4-5 months. Then I started to gain again, and was a high of 241 in August of this year before the involuntary rapid weight loss.

I'm about 6'2"-6'3", FYI::

19: 155
    20: 165
    21: 160
    22: 165
    23: 170
    24: 175
    25: 180
    26: 185
    27: 190
    28: 200
    29: 200
    30: 200
    31: 200
    32: 200
    33: 200
    34: 200
    35: 200
    36: 200
    37: 210
    38: 215
    39: 220
    40: 225
    41: 232
    41.5: 208 (diet)
    42: 213
    43: 216
    44: 220
    45: 223
    46: 225
    46.5: 241 (August 15, 2018 -- a day before LPR, 6 days before anxiety)
    46.5: 209 (Sept 20, 2018 -- super fast weight loss due to LPR/anxiety)
    46.75: 211 (today -- anxiety mostly under control for past 2.5 months)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Already using one with distilled water.

I think it helps but isn't quite enough.
    How big is it? The smaller ones are only good in a very small room.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Tried the S. Boulardii probiotic tonight. No side effects. Going to try the multi-probiotic tomorrow.

If all goes well, I'll give the Mastic Gum a try finally. And if that goes ok, then I just need to get a biofilm disruptor I can tolerate, and we're off to the races to combat H.Pylori.

Thread Information