Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a medical condition which will be tough to treat, and it means the end of radio (for now)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I have a medical condition which will be tough to treat, and it means the end of radio (for now)

Soooooooo....

I have something called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux, also known as LPR.

It's like heartburn, but with a highly annoying lump in your throat instead of pain.

https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd...ilent-reflux#1

Interestingly, I've never had heartburn in my life (and still haven't).

For the past few years, I've noticed an increased sensation of a "lump" (kind of what feels like congestion) in my throat, especially when I lie down. However, I dismissed it as probably being in my head.

Well, it's not. It got moderately worse earlier this year. About a week ago, it got MUCH worse for no apparent reason. I was unable to sleep because the lump-in-throat sensation got so pronounced that it felt like I couldn't breathe when I'd lie down. I tried to even sleep propped up, and it didn't help. Finally I would fall asleep after getting completely exhausted after many hours. It was torture.

I did some internet research and found I likely had this LPR, but there were other possible causes. I went to the doctor, and he put this device up my nose:

It's actually not as bad as it looks. They numb your nose, and it doesn't hurt, though it feels weird. They can look down your throat using this.

I was told that, indeed, I have LPR.

So this requires a ton of lifestyle changes, including:

- No eating 4 hours before going to sleep (very hard for me, as those 4 hours are when I'm hungriest)

- No drinking anything besides water for those same 4 hours (even harder)

- Take Nexium about 30 minutes before dinner (this will only be for 2 week)

- Avoid acidic foods/drinks, or anything else you observe bringing on the problem shortly after eating (sadly, describes much of what I eat or drink)

- No really big meals (so much for future Live at the Bike appearances)

Sucks. But I am forcing myself to do this shit because I can't stand this.

I'm a few days into the changes, and it's somewhat (but not completely) better. I was able to sleep mostly well the last 2 nights. Wednesday and Friday night were the worst (Thursday was okay, for whatever reason).

Only bright side is that it will indirectly cause me to lose weight and eat better.

Was texting with someone else from PFA recently and found out he just came down with the same thing.

My mom also developed it for the first time this year.

Comments

hongkonger: Super gay but glad you're getting it taken care of

MumblesBadly: Whoa! Your timing to address weight gain seems to be quite prescient!

KidPresentable: That sucks. Take care of business.

Matt The Rat: Hope you get better!

Load Metric
    Sounds like what OSA gives to twinks in stairwells?

Was it him you were texting?

Load Metric
    Do you just want to lose weight or improve your overall health?

You could crush Hot Dog on a Stick, Del Taco, and Panda Express for every meal and lose weight, but you might still have a massive heart attack even though you dropped 20 pounds.

Maybe it’s just because these are the stories that end up being the ones that interesting enough to share, but from your posts and radio stories about food, it seems like you eat like shit. Insert tomato on the side joke here.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sooooooooooo

This LPR thing really blows.

Some nights, like Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday of this past week, it is mild and I can sleep fine.

Other nights, like Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of this past week, it was bad and I couldn't sleep until super exhausted.

Then there was last night when it was worst ever, and I still haven't been able to sleep. Feels like I can't breathe when I lie down. This is the worst health condition I've ever dealt with. Not dangerous in itself, but worst as far as lifestyle disruption. Imagine that, no matter how tired you are, when you lie down and try to go to sleep, you feel like you can't breathe, and your brain forces you to stand up. That's what I'm dealing with.

I've been reading a million web articles about it, including some questioning the traditional treatment for it, accusing it of being a combination of ineffective and worsening things.

There's also only limited medical study on LPR thus far.

Aside from lifestyle changes, I'm trying to find some overlooked ways to possibly stop it or slow it down.

I'm going to buy Alkaline water tonight if I can find some (it's said to help some people, but not others), and I ordered a UK product called Gaviscon Advance Liquid Aniseed, which is some super-thick liquid you drink after a meal, and it's supposed to create a coating in your stomach, preventing the acid from getting to your throat.

I hope some of this shit helps.

Sadly, I won't know fully what helps, as this can take weeks to go away, as the pepsins already in my throat can sit there for weeks.

I can't tell you how miserable I'll be if I can't get rid of this.

I may have to stop radio until I can get a handle on this.

Load Metric
    Yea, I first got reflux at 28. Not LPR, but mine was silent reflux also with no heartburn. I was a smoker, so quitting that was the hardest part. I’d quit, start again, and it would come back. Eventually I got cancer unrelated to it and that cured the whole smoking thing. I’ve known a couple guys with LPR. Pretty nasty. Same
    protocol to cure. I’ve often thought all the early health issues I had may have added 20 years to my life at the end. Got me to eat well and quit a shitload of bad habits. There is willpower, and there is actually dealing with the ramifications of poor choices. The latter is a stronger motivator. Consider yourself lucky you developed the lump and get to alter your lifestyle before it turned into something worse like Barrett’s or god forbid laryngeal cancer. There’s a pretty strong correlation between reflux and some nasty shit. You get tempted to guzzle a Pepsi or eat late, fire up one of those anti smoking ads with the guys with a hole in their throat and that should curb your appetite. You’re not a smoker, but that’s the same risk area.

Comments

Sanlmar: Wisdom in them words

Load Metric
    Fiji is the highest alkaline water of the common ones found everywhere. Someone posted here about a super high alkaline water last month that I checked out but didn’t order. Think it might have been limitles
    Last edited by BCR; 08-21-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Sooooooooooo

Some nights, like Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday of this past week, it is mild and I can sleep fine.

Other nights, like Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of this past week, it was bad and I couldn't sleep until super exhausted.

Then there was last night when it was worst ever, and I still haven't been able to sleep. Feels like I can't breathe when I lie down. This is the worst health condition I've ever dealt with. Not dangerous in itself, but worst as far as lifestyle disruption. Imagine that, no matter how tired you are, when you lie down and try to go to sleep, you feel like you can't breathe, and your brain forces you to stand up. That's what I'm dealing with.

I've been reading a million web articles about it, including some questioning the traditional treatment for it, accusing it of being a combination of ineffective and worsening things.

There's also only limited medical study on LPR thus far.

Aside from lifestyle changes, I'm trying to find some overlooked ways to possibly stop it or slow it down.

I'm going to buy Alkaline water tonight if I can find some (it's said to help some people, but not others), and I ordered a UK product called Gaviscon Advance Liquid Aniseed, which is some super-thick liquid you drink after a meal, and it's supposed to create a coating in your stomach, preventing the acid from getting to your throat.

I hope some of this shit helps.

Sadly, I won't know fully what helps, as this can take weeks to go away, as the pepsins already in my throat can sit there for weeks.

Have you stopped having the sugary drinks in the AM and when you wake up? If not you should buddy... if you have acid reflux or anything like it, it is 100% correlated to those drinks at night.
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Soooooooo....

It's like heartburn, but with a highly annoying lump in your throat instead of pain.
    Not that bad of a diagnosis for a middle age guy with a lump in his throat.

Load Metric
    Don't give up on sleeping with the head of your bed elevated, amongst the other things you are doing. It's simple and effective if you find the right position. Gravity works!.
    It sounds like you are on the right path toward recovery, at least a temporizing solution. I had a friend with similar problem, with additional diagnosis of hiatal hernia, and he had a good result from laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair. This is a long term solution for the right candidates.
    Best of luck to weight loss and a reduction of your distressing symptoms.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by handicapme View Post
    Sooooooooooo

Have you stopped having the sugary drinks in the AM and when you wake up? If not you should buddy... if you have acid reflux or anything like it, it is 100% correlated to those drinks at night.
    Handiman: If by “in the AM” you mean “just before going to sleep” given Druff’s usual sleep cycle, I concur.

But having sugary drinks during most of someone’s waking day won’t matter. The harshest symptoms erupt when someone is lying down for awhile, such as when sleeping, and usually don’t start flaring up until about 1.5 to 2 hours after eating, when the stomach starts mildly spasming to drive contents into the small intestine , and lasts for several more hours until those contents have completely passed the duodenum (the muscular valve betwen the stomach and small intestine).

Name:  69D39A33-0F76-4E81-B571-F14F09611C76.jpeg
Views: 2514
Size:  50.6 KB

I say this because I, too, probably have a mild case of LPR, as my acid reflux gets really bad if I don’t regularly take 1 omeprezole tablet every other day and avoiding eat too soon before going to sleep. I’ve been reminded on the importance of maintaining that regimen by occasionally being violently awoken with a harsh cough (?) with a harsh acrid taste in my mouth, which was due to severe reflux reaching the back of my mouth, and then partially entering my airway, causing the cough. And boy does that smell and sting. It just doesn’t feel like I’ve breathed acid vapors, I actually was breathing them: my own.

Name:  6E4BC2F2-2246-47C6-A51E-025D5EA6F377.gif
Views: 2618
Size:  1.27 MB

Druff: I’ve found that it also helps to have some generic Zantax on hand when I have really bad symptoms from deviating from the regimen I mentiom above. It’s called ratinidine, preferable maximum strength. Usually only takes about 30-40 minutes to take effect. Taking extra Nexium (or omeprezole) won’t help in the moment, as they are longer acting (at least 24 hours, sometimes longer).

Name:  546B110D-93FE-403C-8641-822BB8825DED.jpeg
Views: 2369
Size:  20.6 KB

Also, I would avoid using high pH-based antacids like Gaviscon to alone treat when you have extreme symptoms. Unless the stomach’s ability to produce acid is reduced in some manner, the stomach senses the pH-level rising (becoming less acidic, which is what happens when you eat or drink) and responds by producing more acid to the lower pH level. As such, using Gaviscon may provide immediate relief (within seconds of drinking it) but worse symptoms later as the stomach responds in its normal way by producing even more acid.

Well, that’s my two cents on the matter for now. Actually, *this* is my two cents, part of what I saved the other day by standing up to that cheaty merchant!

Name:  D5492C82-3F7A-4DF6-BCF2-7057FADF0B4F.jpeg
Views: 2275
Size:  66.7 KB

But I digress...

Finally, know that I’ve been dealing with this for a number of years, and it started coming on as I slowly ballooned from about 210 lbs (same height as you) 10 years ago or so to about 300 lbs about 6 years ago. So, I’ve been mostly successfully handling it. Just need to avoid eating a pint of ice cream before going to bed...

Name:  2183D4E0-6B1A-436E-B0A5-6AFFB4EB17C8.jpeg
Views: 2252
Size:  66.0 KB

Damn it!!! How the fuck am I *NOT* going to have one now that I mentioned it?!!! And it’s almost bedtime for me!!!! (Willpower! Willpower!)

Comments

dwai: GOD!!! shut the *fuck* up!!! you google doctor expert on everything *exclamation* over using *FAGGOT*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 08-21-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Hope you feel better soon Druff. I have a friend who had a similar condition and quitting caffeine helped immensely.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Soooooooo....

https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd...ilent-reflux#1

Interestingly, I've never had heartburn in my life (and still haven't).

For the past few years, I've noticed an increased sensation of a "lump" (kind of what feels like congestion) in my throat, especially when I lie down. However, I dismissed it as probably being in my head.

Well, it's not. It got moderately worse earlier this year. About a week ago, it got MUCH worse for no apparent reason. I was unable to sleep because the lump-in-throat sensation got so pronounced that it felt like I couldn't breathe when I'd lie down. I tried to even sleep propped up, and it didn't help. Finally I would fall asleep after getting completely exhausted after many hours. It was torture.

I did some internet research and found I likely had this LPR, but there were other possible causes. I went to the doctor, and he put this device up my nose:

It's actually not as bad as it looks. They numb your nose, and it doesn't hurt, though it feels weird. They can look down your throat using this.

I was told that, indeed, I have LPR.

So this requires a ton of lifestyle changes, including:

- No eating 4 hours before going to sleep (very hard for me, as those 4 hours are when I'm hungriest)

- No drinking anything besides water for those same 4 hours (even harder)

- Take Nexium about 30 minutes before dinner (this will only be for 2 week)

- Avoid acidic foods/drinks, or anything else you observe bringing on the problem shortly after eating (sadly, describes much of what I eat or drink)

- No really big meals (so much for future Live at the Bike appearances)

Sucks. But I am forcing myself to do this shit because I can't stand this.

I'm a few days into the changes, and it's somewhat (but not completely) better. I was able to sleep mostly well the last 2 nights. Wednesday and Friday night were the worst (Thursday was okay, for whatever reason).

Only bright side is that it will indirectly cause me to lose weight and eat better.

Was texting with someone else from PFA recently and found out he just came down with the same thing.

My mom also developed it for the first time this year.

Based off the stuff they are asking you to do, if you drank mostly only water and didnt eat in the 4 hour window before bed and just drank the water I would guess you will lose 25 pounds by Christmas.

All of the stuff they are having you do just about any personal trainer would probably ask the same of you (accept only water all day) if you ever hired one so in a way you are jewing some free nutrition help here

Best of luck defeating this thing and the weight loss
    Last edited by chinamaniac; 08-21-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Load Metric
    Druff you have a child, this is the wakeup call to quit all garbage food and go natural. You wont regret it.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If you do go in for some carbs for a cheat meal look into buying some White Kidney Bean Extract and popping the recommended dosage before you eat.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Druff you have a child, this is the wakeup call to quit all garbage food and go natural. You wont regret it.
    Also, given how a significant portion of the PFA community, including Druff himself, has reached an age where health issues are starting to take their toll, perhaps Druff could start having an annual radio show in which he invites PFAers to call in to discuss their health issues/challenges, and how they are supposed to or actually addressing them. He could give those episodes a special name, and keep the discussion mostly on member health issues.

Name:  5B044A37-BF57-441F-831E-8DADF6B59301.jpeg
Views: 2175
Size:  69.2 KB

And for those members/listeners who have passed away in the prior year’s time, include a memorium section where callers recount heart-warming stories about those who have left the community for the big poker table in the sky.

Name:  4BDF460D-81AB-408E-948A-9F27EFF957E6.gif
Views: 2146
Size:  60.8 KB

P.S. Somehow I missed seeing the thread China started yesterday about Cmoney before making this post. Tipping a hat to you, sir, wherever you are now being dealt in.
    https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...l=1#post797934

Comments

limitles: lol....that wager with China must be a factor as well
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 08-22-2018 at 07:26 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Iive had 3 surgeries the most worrisome was a goitar the size of a softball. I kept putting it off it kept growing. It wasn't comfortable afterwards but had to be done.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I just woke up.

Last night one was one of the most frustrating nights I've ever had.

I was EXHAUSTED but could not sleep due to this problem.

I even changed my bed to where it's now on a downward slope, kind of like a hospital bed can be. (This is recommended for LPR sufferers with sleeping problems.) Well, actually I didn't. I had my girlfriend do it because I was way too tired to deal with doing it.

The changed bed angle did help some -- it greatly lessened the feeling that I had to suddenly stand up in order to breathe.

Unfortunately, the lump sensation remained, and I couldn't fall asleep, even after having taken melatonin (a lighter-grade natural sleep aid). After a LOT of effort and frustration (over 2 hours), I fell asleep at 11:30pm, only to sleep just 2 hours, wake up, and still have the exact same issues.

Finally I bit the bullet and took a sleeping pill for the first time in my life.

That also was not the magic bullet I needed.

It made me even more tired, but I couldn't fall asleep . Got close a few times, but couldn't get there.

I also had some other problems. The Nexium appears to be causing some side effects, to where I am not even sure I want to continue with it. It caused some pain near my right rib which would radiate to my back, was causing dry mouth sensations (which I already naturally get to some degree, but this was severe), and also hot and cold flashes. I kept fluctuating between opening the window and lying down with no covers to closing the window and turning on a space heater. In addition, it felt like I had to constantly drink water in order to get rid of the dry mouth.

Ridiculous.

Finally I reasoned that, as long as I was sitting there thinking about all these problems, I would never sleep. So I decided to watch some TV on my laptop, to perhaps get my mind off of it. I opened up an old 1970s episode of Hawaii Five-O and watched it. This particular episode was kind of stressful involving people lying on the floor dead from nuclear exposure, and that made me again think of the uncomfortable feelings I had, so I closed it and opened another one. This other episode was much lighter -- a career scammer attempting to get revenge on McGarrett. Perfect. So I watched half of that, felt myself drifting off, and quickly closed the computer and shoved it off to the side.

Nope. Too late. Couldn't fall asleep again.

Opened the episode again, watched 15 minutes, again got super tired and started to drift off. Closed computer again, still a fail.

Watched episode to the end, and realized in the final few minutes that I'd probably need to watch yet another to try this again. But as the credits rolled, I found myself falling asleep again.

I stayed asleep! I even woke up once at 7:30, went to the bathroom, drank water, and got back in bed. Fell asleep quickly. Woke up briefly at unknown times and fell back asleep.

Naturally woke up at like 2:10pm. So through all of this, I got my sleep, though it was an immense amount of effort and frustration.

This is hell, though.

Mumbles, it sounds like you didn't have LPR, but rather traditional heartburn. I believe that, aside from dietary changes which are constant for both, the effective LPR treatment is different.

Gaviscon doesn't prevent your stomach from producing acid, but rather blocks the acids from moving up and irritating your throat, which is what has been happening to me. Some with LPR have said it's the "only thing that works".

I believe my problem is due to pepsin in my throat. What is pepsin?

LPR is caused by a combination of acid and the stomach enzyme pepsin.

The job of pepsin is to digest proteins in the stomach. If you have LPR, pepsin gets up into your throat and airways. There it goes on with its job: digesting. It’s just that pepsin now digests the cells of your airways. That does not sound good, does it?

Pepsin is highly influenced by the presence of acid.

The acidity is expressed by the pH. A pH of 1-2 is about the level of the empty stomach and is very acidic. A pH of 7 is neutral. Everything above is alkaline.

Usually, the pH in the throat is about neutral. Pepsin becomes inactive in such an environment. However, each time pepsin comes in contact with acidity, it becomes reactivated.

The lower the acidity is, the higher the damage potential of pepsin:

So Gaviscon suppoedly creates a foamy coating and prevents the pepsin from moving into the throat.

Alkaline water, which I'm now drinking (bought it last night) will permanently deactivate the pepsin it comes into contact with in my throat, which could otherwise sit there causing damage for as long as weeks.

However, it will NOT prevent the reflux from continuing and shooting new pepsins into my throat, so that's where the Gaviscon comes in.

I'm hoping that between the two of them, this problem will end, once my throat heals.

There are some who believe that alkaline water itself will not be effective enough to deactivate the pepsin, and that you need sodium bicarbonate to do it (baking soda). Those people suggest drinking baking soda water instead of commercial alkaline water. However, that solution can bring on high blood pressure, which I already have (mostly genetic), because you're ingesting tons of sodium. So I'd prefer to avoid that.

I am not drinking soda or orange juice anymore. They are both very acidic. This will be hard to stop but I have to because this is miserable.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Wow! You practically have a doctorate on this topic now! I sit (with only my normal acid refluxy condition) corrected. And good luck with whatever you try!

Load Metric
    Cut to the chase Todd - is radio on?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Radio is suspended until I can solve this problem.

Load Metric
    Well, actually I didn't. I had my girlfriend do it because I was way too tired to deal with doing it.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Thread Information