Thread: Was this police shooting justified?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Was this police shooting justified?

I've watched this police shooting bodycam video twice, and can't come 100% to a conclusion whether the officer was 100% right here.

I don't believe it was an unjustified shooting, but at the same time, I do wonder if the officer could have handled it better and avoided it getting escalated like it did.

This took place in Seville, FL. Seville is in Volusia County, which is west of Daytona Beach. It's by Lake George and the Ocala National Forest, and is fairly remote. Therefore, due to the low population density in the area, the county chooses to concentrate most of its officers in DeLand, which is 25 miles south.

A single officer was in the area when a call came in about domestic violence. The officer showed up, encountered two Hispanic males in their 20s sitting outside the house, both of whom denied knowing what it was about, calling it "the wrong address".

However, eventually it became clear that it was indeed the right address, and that the wife of one of the two men was the one being beaten. In addition, another person on a cell phone was telling the officer that the woman gets beaten routinely there.

The accused man was very uncooperative, refusing to come down the stairs and talk to the officer.

The officer remained fairly calm throughout this part, attempting to reason with the guy and get him to just come down the stairs and talk.

Then came the trouble: His wife came out and accused him (in Spanish) of always beating her. He turned around and grabbed her, telling her to "calm down", as she seemed to cower away. It didn't appear he was hitting her, but he was definitely grabbing her and making unwanted physical contact.

At this point, the lone officer had a choice to make. Does he attempt to interfere and possibly escalate it into a violent confrontation, or does he wait to see how far it plays out?

He decided to approach and tase the guy, who screamed and fell to the ground.

He then told the guy to put his hands behind his back, and the guy refused. At this point, the suspect became super uncooperative, and basically just kept saying, "Shoot me" and "You're not taking me" (presumably referring to how he would resist arrest). He would not put his hands behind his back, and at a few points attempted to grab the officer's taser.

Finally, after a few tries of grabbing the taser, the officer told him that he would indeed shoot him if he didn't let go. The guy kept grabbing, and the officer shot him dead.

At that point, the officer also had to deal with angry family members who were acting aggressively, but nothing further occurred. The officer actually retreated back toward his vehicle after this, fearing he would be attacked on the staircase.

Backup was on its way from DeLand, but was still about 10 minutes away when the shooting occurred.

No further injuries occurred.

Here is a somewhat edited video with Spanish translations. The escalation occurs at 2:45. Sound is a little distorted.

Here is an unedited version with better sound, but no translations:

Aside from the obvious -- that the county screwed up by not providing at least 2 officers to the area of Seville -- here is my opinion:

I feel that the officer was in a very tough situation. Everyone was hostile from the start, nobody would come down the stairs, and basically the two dudes at the top of the stairs took a, "Fuck you, we're not cooperating, do what you want" attitude.

I always have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone like that who ends up getting shot.

The officer constantly had to worry that he was going to be jumped from behind if he tried anything, and also had to worry that there was no backup in case he got into a physical confrontation and it didn't go well.

The problem was that he was forced into a decision when the suspect started grabbing his wife who was accusing him of beating her.

I think he probably should have given the guy more time to stand down. There were no physical blows at that point, so he could have shouted repeatedly, "Get away from her or I'm going to have to use force", but perhaps he was worried that he would lose the element of surprise at that point.

Once he tased the guy, I think he would have been better off backing up and holding the guy at gunpoint, telling him to come down the stairs, while waiting for backup. (This way, if the guy just wanted to lie there without further cooperation, the officer could have simply waited out the 10-15 minutes until backup arrived.)

However, it's not entirely unreasonable that he simply wanted to arrest the guy at this point for assault on his wife (especially combined with the other allegations from the wife herself), and that the guy basically signed his own death warrant by repeatedly grabbing at the taser.

Bottom line:

- I don't feel sorry for the guy who died. It is very likely he was a habitual wife-beater, and also had to put on the macho act against the police, including grabbing at his taser.

- I basically support any officer-involved shootings where the suspect clearly grabbed at any kind of weapon belonging to the officer. This guy did it multiple times.

- The county needs to assign at least TWO officers to the area, so this doesn't happen again.

- The officer didn't handle it optimally, but it's hard to handle things optimally in the heat of the moment. It is clear that this officer didn't want to run a power trip or hurt anymore, but was getting increasingly exasperated by the uncooperative, aggressive suspect.

Police have a very difficult job, dealing with people like this. I try to cut them some slack in marginal situations where they end up shooting someone who is crazy/uncooperative/violent. Everyone should cooperate with police orders and not make their job harder. I have personally encountered asshole/power-tripping police officers, but never have I felt like the right play was to fight them or make things more difficult. I would absolutely NEVER grab for any of their weapons under any circumstances, unless I wanted to kill myself.

Load Metric
    Is it common practice for a cop to go to an incident alone (especially with the threat of violence)?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Is it common practice for a cop to go to an incident alone (especially with the threat of violence)?
    No. But because of this "remote area" bullshit, normally in a normal situation there would be at least 3 to 4 cop cars with at least 6 officers, they love this shit.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    No. But because of this "remote area" bullshit, normally in a normal situation there would be at least 3 to 4 cop cars with at least 6 officers, they love this shit.
    If there were 4 cop cars over there, none of this would have escalated as far.

The cops could have gone up the stairs, ordered the suspected homeboy down and questioned him, while keeping tabs on homeboy #2. Then another officer could have questioned the woman.

And if the suspect was uncooperative, they could have gone up and physically removed him.

I think this guy was mainly uncooperative because he felt one cop wasn't a huge threat.

Comments

SysOp: I agree with this, I was telling the German living in Russia that this is NOT normal

Load Metric
    Cop handled this situation pretty well imo

Being outnumbered he did everything to let the subject know he didnt want to kill or hurt him, and was surprisingly calm about it to that point. Listening to the final scrum it sounds like the subject was going for his gun in an aggressive manner, at which point in time you should expect to be shot, and he got shot.

My only issue is with how many rounds he lead into him with, could of got the situation under control with 1 or 2 rounds and sounded like he unloaded into him about 5 or so times. That could be excessive but of course the officer was in fear for his life so hell be justified in killing this guy.

Comments

Muck Ficon: You beat up your family, your opinion doesn't count
    Last edited by garrett; 08-11-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Load Metric
    if the dead man had gotten hold of the taser, the cop would likely be the dead--at least that's what the cop was thinking (every cop thinks that in situations like this)--the taser would be stuck into the officer, then the firearm grabbed and used to shoot the officer

the other two men at the scene are lucky they didn't get shot also...they got within 10 feet of the officer, a distance they could rush and contact the officer before he could get off a shot...particularly dangerous to the officer was when one opened a car and reached in for something
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Cop handled this situation pretty well imo

Being outnumbered he did everything to let the subject know he didnt want to kill or hurt him, and was surprisingly calm about it to that point. Listening to the final scrum it sounds like the subject was going for his gun in an aggressive manner, at which point in time you should expect to be shot, and he got shot.

My only issue is with how many rounds he lead into him with, could of got the situation under control with 1 or 2 rounds and sounded like he unloaded into him about 5 or so times. That could be excessive but of course the officer was in fear for his life so hell be justified in killing this guy.
    respectfully I disagree...police protocol is to continue firing until the officer is sure the threat is over--in this situation the officer had no room to retreat, being at the top of a stairway...I believe the officer was probably pulling the trigger for third or fourth time before the officer began to notice the suspect's react to being shot and the officer began to process/judge the threat to him being reduced--while I've never been is a gunfight, I've read a number of account of shootings, just about all of the stories say how fast they occur and the shooter is going on reaction without any time to think.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Watched whole video . Here is what I think.

Wife beating probably illegal alien gets shot in front of his kids because he is a drug using dumb wife beating fucktard. Goodbye good riddance . Cop clearly didn't want to harm this guy. This is exactly why we need a fucking wall like yesterday. Now all you bleeding heart libs attack me for saying what you are afraid to say.

Fuck em

Guy got what he had coming to him. Guess nobody in Guatemala taught him to not fuck with redneck police.

Comments

4BET: Pretty good read

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    if the dead man had gotten hold of the taser, the cop would likely be the dead--at least that's what the cop was thinking (every cop thinks that in situations like this)--the taser would be stuck into the officer, then the firearm grabbed and used to shoot the officer

the other two men at the scene are lucky they didn't get shot also...they got within 10 feet of the officer, a distance they could rush and contact the officer before he could get off a shot...particularly dangerous to the officer was when one opened a car and reached in for something
    Exactly my thoughts, This is about 45 Miles from me, A lot of redneck cops in central Florida, In fact I was pulled over about a week ago for going a bit over the speed limit, Obviously was nice to the cop, Who was a prick at first, Then after running my information, He came back to the car and was real nice, Gave me a warning and off I went
    -Allergic to the struggle

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    More info: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...803-story.html

Apparently the wife called a domestic violence hotline because the suspect was beating her and not letting her leave the house.

Presumably that woman on the cell phone in the middle of the video was someone from the domestic violence hotline.

Also, apparently the suspect did cocaine a lot and would become very violent and unreasonable while on it.

Bottom line is that, aside from traumatizing the kids with the shooting, the cop probably did society a favor by getting rid of this guy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    More info: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...803-story.html

Apparently the wife called a domestic violence hotline because the suspect was beating her and not letting her leave the house.

Presumably that woman on the cell phone in the middle of the video was someone from the domestic violence hotline.

Also, apparently the suspect did cocaine a lot and would become very violent and unreasonable while on it.

Bottom line is that, aside from traumatizing the kids with the shooting, the cop probably did society a favor by getting rid of this guy.

Thanks for 2nding what I said . Now next step ICE should round up the remaining family members. Stuff the body in a box and ship them all back where they came from. They should also arrest the Fruit farmer for hiring them. Fucking mess all around .

I'd be willing to allow the anchor babies to stay and be given an opportunity to become members of our military when they become 18 for the chance at a free education. ,

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Was this thread justified? Was the length of this post justified?
    Who has the time to read a novel for every crime story?
    Tighten it up or move on.

Load Metric
    It’s pure pigheadedness/machismo that this cop escalated the situation with the abusive husband before backup arrived. He’s lucky one of those other guys there didn’t jack him from behind while he was confronting the husband.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    I don’t have a problem with the shooting but Its not great video. Couldn’t really see the exact moment before the cop unloaded, but the dude was an asshole from the moment the cop arrived and I didn’t get the sense the kid was looking to kill anyone. The cop felt young. This seems to be a reoccurring theme with a lot of these shootings. It really is a job for guys who are confident of their ability to physically handle a situation. The cop put himself in a bad spot. Feels like a situation you should assess as problematic and take a step back and call for backup or just reevaluate the situation. No one needed to die, but this dude was an asshole who just wouldn’t chill, and the cop used a taser first and he still wouldn’t chill, so I’m not crying for the guy. The shooting didn’t have the over-militaristic feel where they have 6 cops surrounding some dude in car and they all unload on him. Those are the ones that particularly irritate me.

As you wrote, the entire reason for the shooting, and very likely the reason they are even in the country in the first place, is trying to do the job of two men with one.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    First off, this is textbook why you always want to have a ton of cops show up to situations like this. People like Mumbles who are just plain clueless always comment about how the police are over-responding/cowards/abusive/etc., but the truth is a show of force is the best way to de-escalate a situation and one guy showing up where he is outnumbered is a recipe for disaster.

I actually agree with Mumbles the cop probably should have surveyed the situation and called a bunch more officers if he could before engaging. Once he chooses to engage it just becomes real gray and tough. I am sure he did nothing illegal by the letter of the law that would end him up in jail, but I am also sure the officer could have handled the situation better so it never got to that point in the first place.

Also, I blame CNN, the NYT, NAACP, and BLM for this mess. I think the media's complete assault on the police has really empowered people to treat police badly and disrespectful, leading to situations like this. It is extremely ironic how the MSM is so sensitive and critical of the president normalizing aggressive, disrespectful behavior towards them; when they are doing their best to erode the relationship between police and communities, and encouraging disrespect with their horrible, biased reporting.

I am pretty confident that CNN and BLM have made things significantly worse between the police and black/hispanic communities than they would have been if they had never existed at all.

Comments

Dan Druff: Agree. Obama also contributed to the lack of respect for police.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gookieheimowitz View Post

Wife beating probably illegal alien gets shot in front of his kids because he is a drug using dumb wife beating fucktard. Goodbye good riddance . Cop clearly didn't want to harm this guy. This is exactly why we need a fucking wall like yesterday. Now all you bleeding heart libs attack me for saying what you are afraid to say.

Fuck em

Guy got what he had coming to him. Guess nobody in Guatemala taught him to not fuck with redneck police.
    Ironically, in Guatemala guys like this know like to fuck with the police, because the police will just shoot him at the first sign of disrespect, and that is that. Unfortunately here, our media enables and encourages people to fuck with police officers and then they do so. Most of the time it works out ok, the police back down and they get to be the macho man, and every once in a while that doesn't happen and this is the result.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gookieheimowitz View Post

Fuck em

Ironically, in Guatemala guys like this know like to fuck with the police, because the police will just shoot him at the first sign of disrespect, and that is that. Unfortunately here, our media enables and encourages people to fuck with police officers and then they do so. Most of the time it works out ok, the police back down and they get to be the macho man, and every once in a while that doesn't happen and this is the result.
    This is epic that you blame this on the media. Your biases are out of control as you have undoubtedly been brainwashed in that weird anti-brainwashing way. That dude (the one shot) doesn't listen to American media.

Honestly I saw this and thought it was quite justified. Cop obviously tried reasoning with the guy numerous times. The guy basically wanted to die. Sometimes it is questionable, but not this time. I felt sorry for the cop as he really didn't want to do it.

Now there is another one that came out in the past few days where the woman was shot and wasn't really doing anything but yanking out taser ends and taunting the cops (she also had a screwdriver in her hand). Then it turns out the cop shot her in the legs !!! haha.. Thats a new one in modern policing IMO. So then I'm like.. well if she had advanced on him with the screwdriver in her hand she'd been shot dead, but then will the city be sued for him shooting her in the legs?

Thread Information