Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Dealer Services" extended auto warranty scam

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The service department and F&I office is where you are most likely to get the shaft....why do you think all OEMs now give you 2 years of "free" maintenance or sell you a service contract with no deductible if you come back to them.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Dealer Services is a scam. I just skimmed this thread but I will give you a quick overview of how they get your data. Disclaimer: I am goofing off on my laptop and do not have ALL of the details this is just off the top of my head.

When you purchase a car, and they put you into the "box" and offer you pricing on the extended warranties they submit this to an aggregator. There are a few less then ethical companies that store your information. Dealer Services purchases this information usually between 36-72 months after purchase and then just bomb your f-ing phone. They use a DID that is close to your phone number and change it often. They have all of your vehicles VIN mileage at purchase etc etc. They will not stop calling you and have multiple active investigations against them. If you ask them to quote it or purchase from them you never do business directly with them just like if you use an online insurance broker like The General.

If I have time I usually just waste their time giving a different name and vehicle or asking when she will be at my room to blow me or if it is a guy to make certain he has a condom and lube.

I have about 6 DID's that inbound to my phone for different reasons so I get a lot of them. I got taken off of ADT's & the window's list by having them come to the house next day and then answering the door with multiple firearms and telling them they should re-think their lead generation source just waste their time.

Comments

Tellafriend: respect

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHoster View Post
    Dealer Services is a scam. I just skimmed this thread but I will give you a quick overview of how they get your data. Disclaimer: I am goofing off on my laptop and do not have ALL of the details this is just off the top of my head.

When you purchase a car, and they put you into the "box" and offer you pricing on the extended warranties they submit this to an aggregator. There are a few less then ethical companies that store your information. Dealer Services purchases this information usually between 36-72 months after purchase and then just bomb your f-ing phone. They use a DID that is close to your phone number and change it often. They have all of your vehicles VIN mileage at purchase etc etc. They will not stop calling you and have multiple active investigations against them. If you ask them to quote it or purchase from them you never do business directly with them just like if you use an online insurance broker like The General.

If I have time I usually just waste their time giving a different name and vehicle or asking when she will be at my room to blow me or if it is a guy to make certain he has a condom and lube.

I have about 6 DID's that inbound to my phone for different reasons so I get a lot of them. I got taken off of ADT's & the window's list by having them come to the house next day and then answering the door with multiple firearms and telling them they should re-think their lead generation source just waste their time.
    Don't want to say about that last sentence, but good info regarding where they got my number.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Don't want to say about that last sentence, but good info regarding where they got my number.
    This didn't happen in commiefornia, but in Texas and they had to open two gates with no trespass and a long drive way. When you get as many of the calls a day as I did at that time you finally get tired of it and my neighbor told me how he stopped theirs.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    The service departments of every car dealership are sociopaths and deserve to be angle-shot into a coma. I've had several friends work in the service depts of major dealerships and these people are soulless, truly. The best advice you will ever hear about car maintenance is to find a repair place that will charge you labor only and let you bring your own parts in. Then go to the Ebay of car parts - https://orbimotors.com/ and get what you need. I just saved $1600 doing this for a passenger side mirror compared to the price the "friend of the community" wanted to charge me. Call the "friend of the community" (car dealership), get a quote for the same job then put the difference into an ETF that buys the whole market like VTI. In 30 years, if you do this everytime your car breaks, you might end up with 7 figures. This is how larcenous the people in the car business are.

Load Metric
    My AC unit on my Volvo stopped working. 0% mechanical issue it’s a “shim” that maintains space for the clutch that gets a little out of whack. You need a $15 tool and 30-45 minutes tops. It’s a very very very well known and documented issue with this model.

The dealership flat out refused to fix it. They would only do a whole new AC unit that would
    Cost “about $1700 but can’t be sure until we get in there”. I told the manager I could send him an entire web page on the issue and that he must be pulling my leg that he doesn’t understand the issue because 50% of all cars that hit 100K miles have this problem, to the point where is should have been recalled. “Well we are a dealership so we need to guarantee our work and the only way we can do that is to replace the whole thing”.

I knocked it out in 3 hours. Obviously longer than the estimate but then again I don’t work at a dealership either. I’d have spent 12 hours before I would have capitulated

Silver
    Load Metric
    I bought a used BMW from Carvanna at the beginning of the year. It came with a 3 month warranty and then I added a 1 year extended warranty. They have been, surprisingly great to work with. Zero hassles on some repairs that came up. After buying from Carvanna you get 7 days to return the car at no charge for any reason. I took it in to the BMW dealer to make sure everything was good. They said that the tires were borderline and the battery was only maintaining a 52% charge. Carvanna agreed to pay for new tires and the battery. The car also had “the beginning of an upper pan” oil leak. They covered that as well. The tires were $375 each - Michelin pilot sports 21” low profiles. Battery was $325. They even covered my rental car when it was in the shop.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peterr991 View Post
    The service departments of every car dealership are sociopaths and deserve to be angle-shot into a coma. I've had several friends work in the service depts of major dealerships and these people are soulless, truly. The best advice you will ever hear about car maintenance is to find a repair place that will charge you labor only and let you bring your own parts in. Then go to the Ebay of car parts - https://orbimotors.com/ and get what you need. I just saved $1600 doing this for a passenger side mirror compared to the price the "friend of the community" wanted to charge me. Call the "friend of the community" (car dealership), get a quote for the same job then put the difference into an ETF that buys the whole market like VTI. In 30 years, if you do this everytime your car breaks, you might end up with 7 figures. This is how larcenous the people in the car business are.
    This a bot Druff? He’s been bumping old threads today and here it copied an old Sidewinder post from this thread 3 years ago verbatim but swapped out the link. Weird.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHoster View Post

That’s one way these companies get this information

Load Metric
    I made one of these idiots look bad several months ago. They called so I called them back. I asked them which car they were calling about. Of course the irony is it was the Nissan my wife used to drive. The car which was TOTALLED in a wreck in Oct 2019. I was like well I don’t think I need to extend the warranty and they were like but sir you’ll be responsible for repairs I just laughed and I can just imagine how the idiot felt when I said well I’m not worried about that since it was destroyed in a car wreck and last I saw was headed to a junk yard. dead silence. I then hung up.

Thread Information