Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Relationship Advice

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric

Need Relationship Advice

I will start this off by admitting that I don't expect every post ITT to be a serious one, and I am totally fine with that. I realize that I am putting a target on my back. Also, I am expecting this OP to be quite lengthy so if you don't have time to read I understand. Fact of the matter is I believe a majority of posters on the site to be quite intelligent and probably more experienced than I am when it comes to relationships given my age (I am 30 later this month). Here it goes.

I have been with my girlfriend, who is the same age as me, for a little over two years now. When I met her in May 2016, I was about a year out of a 7 year relationship that ended in divorce and turmoil and left our now 8 year old son with two part time parents. I was deeply scarred from this breakup and was still living back with my parents, recovering financially and emotionally. I will say though that I felt like I was in a good enough place to begin dating again, otherwise I never would have.

Anyways, she owned her own house which her sister, infant nephew and the sister's boyfriend all lived in. It is a split level ranch basically set up like two apartments, upstairs and downstairs. It was probably about two months before I moved in. She has a great job as an accountant for an insurance company and she has her life all on track. I fell in love with her almost immediately. Everything was perfect until recently.

I need to backtrack a little here back to when we first got together. She told me that she really liked me but we could only continue to have a serious relationship if we both wanted the same things. She told me she wanted to eventually get married, have children and build her dream house on her father's land. It was really the first time I had thought about a future like that since my ex-wife and I split, and I agreed without really thinking it over. This turned out to be my big mistake.

Like I said, everything was great up until about 3 or 4 months ago. She would randomly ask me my plans to get a better job (I have a pretty good one but not enough to support her lifestyle), where I stood on kids and getting engaged. Every she would ask I would brush it off or change the subject. I don't know why, I love her to death but I couldn't picture having a family for some reason. I think my previous experience may have ruined that for me, but who knows.

Two Sunday's ago as we were driving home from dinner, she asks me if I've put any more thought into our future. I again try to brush it off like I normally do and change the subject. I ask her what her next move would be if she could have anything. She says she thinks we need to break up. We get home and not much is said, and it stays that way until that Wednesday.

I come home from work and she is doing her normal Wednesday routine, at her dad's to do the books for his business, then to her mom's for dinner. I am supposed to have my son on Wednesday's but my ex cancelled last minute. I break down, and during this I pack all of my shit into my little Honda Civic, text her that I'm leaving, and then I'm gone. She tells me she's on her way home and asks if I want to wait. I say no.

We talk on the phone on my ride back to my parents house to crash for a few weeks and I immediately realize that I have made a mistake. I think about what a future looks like and all I can see is her. And a family. I tell her I regret it and she tells me we will figure it out. We go to sleep in different states and although I am sad, I'm also hopeful.

A couple days go by and she tells me that she needs some time. She says her dilemma is that she wants all these things with me but she doesn't want to feel like I only want them because she wants them. Obviously I understand this as I have never given her a straight answer in the past and all of a sudden I know? It's hard to explain, but it was like a light went on in my head. All of a sudden it was just clear to me what I wanted. She also wants me to clear up some things. I have about 3.5k worth of debt, mostly medical bills, which most I've worked out. She doesn't want to live with anyone again unless she's engaged. I guess she had kind of this same thing happen with her last boyfriend before me. Ok, all understandable. I've been working like a madman to figure everything out and I have done more than I expected I could, but it still doesn't seem to be enough for her. She said that what she needs most is time, because she can't go through this again and it was "the hardest week" of her life and she wants to make sure that if I come back we don't run into this issues in a years' time. She has always had a plan for her life and she is running behind on that plan because she wanted to already be pregnant by now.

It's been 8 days now since I left and still nothing has changed. I am typing this in my childhood bedroom at my parent's house and she is 50 miles away. I did spend Tuesday night over there. We didn't talk much about what was going on. A little before bed, but she told me she didn't want to be sad and just wanted to hang out and enjoy each other's company. She went to counseling today, something she has been doing for a couple of months, and told me she had a complete meltdown in there. She said her counselor recommended she spend some time alone to grieve over this. She also has a couple of health issues going on that I won't get into. Nothing life threatening.

She told me today she thinks she will be better in a few weeks and willing to work on this but is still processing everything that happened. I understand that she needs time but it feels like every second without her is forever. I have been trying like hell and don't know how much longer I can do this.

I know I am probably rambling now so I'll wrap it up. Any questions for me just ask and I'll do my best to answer. If you took the time to read this, I thank you. And thank you for any advice you may have to offer.

Comments

jacosta24: Just remind her you beat me heads up in the spring classic

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: Honda Civics are great cars
    #ToddsPlan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    I will start this off by admitting that I don't expect every post ITT to be a serious one, and I am totally fine with that. I realize that I am putting a target on my back. Also, I am expecting this OP to be quite lengthy so if you don't have time to read I understand. Fact of the matter is I believe a majority of posters on the site to be quite intelligent and probably more experienced than I am when it comes to relationships given my age (I am 30 later this month). Here it goes.

I have been with my girlfriend, who is the same age as me, for a little over two years now. When I met her in May 2016, I was about a year out of a 7 year relationship that ended in divorce and turmoil and left our now 8 year old son with two part time parents. I was deeply scarred from this breakup and was still living back with my parents, recovering financially and emotionally. I will say though that I felt like I was in a good enough place to begin dating again, otherwise I never would have.

Anyways, she owned her own house which her sister, infant nephew and the sister's boyfriend all lived in. It is a split level ranch basically set up like two apartments, upstairs and downstairs. It was probably about two months before I moved in. She has a great job as an accountant for an insurance company and she has her life all on track. I fell in love with her almost immediately. Everything was perfect until recently.

I need to backtrack a little here back to when we first got together. She told me that she really liked me but we could only continue to have a serious relationship if we both wanted the same things. She told me she wanted to eventually get married, have children and build her dream house on her father's land. It was really the first time I had thought about a future like that since my ex-wife and I split, and I agreed without really thinking it over. This turned out to be my big mistake.

Like I said, everything was great up until about 3 or 4 months ago. She would randomly ask me my plans to get a better job (I have a pretty good one but not enough to support her lifestyle), where I stood on kids and getting engaged. Every she would ask I would brush it off or change the subject. I don't know why, I love her to death but I couldn't picture having a family for some reason. I think my previous experience may have ruined that for me, but who knows.

Two Sunday's ago as we were driving home from dinner, she asks me if I've put any more thought into our future. I again try to brush it off like I normally do and change the subject. I ask her what her next move would be if she could have anything. She says she thinks we need to break up. We get home and not much is said, and it stays that way until that Wednesday.

I come home from work and she is doing her normal Wednesday routine, at her dad's to do the books for his business, then to her mom's for dinner. I am supposed to have my son on Wednesday's but my ex cancelled last minute. I break down, and during this I pack all of my shit into my little Honda Civic, text her that I'm leaving, and then I'm gone. She tells me she's on her way home and asks if I want to wait. I say no.

We talk on the phone on my ride back to my parents house to crash for a few weeks and I immediately realize that I have made a mistake. I think about what a future looks like and all I can see is her. And a family. I tell her I regret it and she tells me we will figure it out. We go to sleep in different states and although I am sad, I'm also hopeful.

A couple days go by and she tells me that she needs some time. She says her dilemma is that she wants all these things with me but she doesn't want to feel like I only want them because she wants them. Obviously I understand this as I have never given her a straight answer in the past and all of a sudden I know? It's hard to explain, but it was like a light went on in my head. All of a sudden it was just clear to me what I wanted. She also wants me to clear up some things. I have about 3.5k worth of debt, mostly medical bills, which most I've worked out. She doesn't want to live with anyone again unless she's engaged. I guess she had kind of this same thing happen with her last boyfriend before me. Ok, all understandable. I've been working like a madman to figure everything out and I have done more than I expected I could, but it still doesn't seem to be enough for her. She said that what she needs most is time, because she can't go through this again and it was "the hardest week" of her life and she wants to make sure that if I come back we don't run into this issues in a years' time. She has always had a plan for her life and she is running behind on that plan because she wanted to already be pregnant by now.

It's been 8 days now since I left and still nothing has changed. I am typing this in my childhood bedroom at my parent's house and she is 50 miles away. I did spend Tuesday night over there. We didn't talk much about what was going on. A little before bed, but she told me she didn't want to be sad and just wanted to hang out and enjoy each other's company. She went to counseling today, something she has been doing for a couple of months, and told me she had a complete meltdown in there. She said her counselor recommended she spend some time alone to grieve over this. She also has a couple of health issues going on that I won't get into. Nothing life threatening.

She told me today she thinks she will be better in a few weeks and willing to work on this but is still processing everything that happened. I understand that she needs time but it feels like every second without her is forever. I have been trying like hell and don't know how much longer I can do this.

I know I am probably rambling now so I'll wrap it up. Any questions for me just ask and I'll do my best to answer. If you took the time to read this, I thank you. And thank you for any advice you may have to offer.
    yeah been there with the pressure for future gains..... dump her, it will be worth it. She'll either get what she wants from you or will be bitter about it up the ying yang. A materialist doesn't make a great partner unless that's you as well.

Comments

HoodedN: I wouldn’t quite call her materialistic. I shouldn’t have made it sound like that. She just wants me closer to her level so I can help out with things more. She can support herself and is fine doing so

Load Metric
    shes sweating you to change/improve. that doesnt stop if you somehow meet her expectations.

that whole 'lifetstyle to which shes accustomed' goal is literally pure poison, if shes not happy with you now shes not going to be regardless of how much couples therapy you pay for.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Agreed
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Whatever you don't do send her messages or make calls that make you look needy and weak. If you do that, then her break from you will never end. I'm not saying act like a jerk or be mean. I mean act like a mature man that has his shit together and is strong enough to make it with or without her. Go buy an engagement ring and when the time feels right one of the times you are hanging with her having a really good time just pop the question. Don't be awkward or weird about it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post
    Whatever you don't do send her messages or make calls that make you look needy and weak. If you do that, then her break from you will never end. I'm not saying act like a jerk or be mean. I mean act like a mature man that has his shit together and is strong enough to make it with or without her. Go buy an engagement ring and when the time feels right one of the times you are hanging with her having a really good time just pop the question. Don't be awkward or weird about it.
    Thanks. I am currently in the process of picking one out. It’s great advice just hard to follow. Anyone who has been there knows. It is a little different in this situation though because it’s not like she doesn’t want me back. I know that when she’s ready it will happen, so I’ve been giving her space. We still talk everyday and it is mostly initiated by me, but she doesn’t seem to mind and has said she doesn’t want anything to change in that regard.
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    shes sweating you to change/improve. that doesnt stop if you somehow meet her expectations.

that whole 'lifetstyle to which shes accustomed' goal is literally pure poison, if shes not happy with you now shes not going to be regardless of how much couples therapy you pay for.
    She doesn’t just want me to improve for her. I have an 8 year old son who deserves better. Yes, I make enough money to support him. But I can’t give him the life he deserves quite yet. Changes are in the making. I think she will be happy if I can get closer to her level. She is not rich but makes about 100k/year and can afford to do the things she wants. She will be happy if I can get to 70% of that just to help out with the bills more than I can now.
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric

She doesn’t just want me to improve for her. I have an 8 year old son who deserves better. Yes, I make enough money to support him. But I can’t give him the life he deserves quite yet. Changes are in the making. I think she will be happy if I can get closer to her level. She is not rich but makes about 100k/year and can afford to do the things she wants. She will be happy if I can get to 70% of that just to help out with the bills more than I can now.

gating a relationship by those metrics isnt a healthy thing. that should be something she encourages you to pursue as part of a healthy, nurturing relationship.

rephrased: if shes not happy with you / the relationship you have, right now, then there is blood in the water already.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Sadly, i agree. Because its tough medicine to swallow.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

gating a relationship by those metrics isnt a healthy thing. that should be something she encourages you to pursue as part of a healthy, nurturing relationship.

rephrased: if shes not happy with you / the relationship you have, right now, then there is blood in the water already.
    Ya. As much as that sucks to hear it makes sense and I get where you are coming from. Thanks man

Comments

sonatine: bon chance mon ami
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric
    I think wise that you wanted a year before you entered into a relationship.

my feeling about relationships are that it is better to encourage and support than to say wats up bro you getten a better job so you can support me and my future plan for us?

If your not in her desired tax bracket and find that your options are not great or put you in a position where you do not enjoy what you do then you should probably move on. If you can't or won't meet her expectations your relationship likely won't last much longer, probably for the better.

all that being said My wife is very demanding and has very high expectations of me (typical Slovak)

this some how works for us and some one like me needs goals to reach for or i find it super easy to be lazy and go to work late and come home early.

good luck buddy!
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    I don't think anyone here can tell you whether or not you should end the relationship permanently or get engaged - it's on you.

Been in a similiar situation myself before and man it sucked so much. I let it drag on far longer than it needed to and regret it. Maybe consider giving yourself an ultimatum. If in X weeks from now you feel like you're in the same place as you are today, pull the plug...don't communicate with her anymore, move on with your life and let her move on with hers.

If you decide to buy the ring, check out https://www.bluenile.com you'll get the best bang for your buck.

Load Metric

pretty much this

a lot of women get into their mid-late twenties and start to freak out that their lives aren't exactly the way they've always "planned", and they obsess over it

they desperately want to be posting wedding and baby pics on facebook, you are just an accessory - and those girls 5-10 years later are usually divorced because they tried to force things

obviously can't judge a relationship over a couple paragraphs written to strangers on the internet, but... be careful bud
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    I think wise that you wanted a year before you entered into a relationship.

my feeling about relationships are that it is better to encourage and support than to say wats up bro you getten a better job so you can support me and my future plan for us?

If your not in her desired tax bracket and find that your options are not great or put you in a position where you do not enjoy what you do then you should probably move on. If you can't or won't meet her expectations your relationship likely won't last much longer, probably for the better.

all that being said My wife is very demanding and has very high expectations of me (typical Slovak)

this some how works for us and some one like me needs goals to reach for or i find it super easy to be lazy and go to work late and come home early.

good luck buddy!
    Haha I am the same way. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

I think I may have done her an injustice in the way I explained things. I am not really happy at my job now anyways. I just put up with it because it’s comfortable and I make ok money. I would gladly change professions but I’m not sure what I would like to do. Working on that.

She just knows what she wants future wise and I wasn’t really giving her answers. I don’t blame her for being upset about that when I didn’t take it seriously for 2 years. I do think she is pushy though.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: the wife is the main reason i have been successful, don't tell her i said that please lol
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric
    I would never want to be with a women who demands like she does.
    I hope it works out for you but based on what I read I think you can do better.
    Is the sex very very good? Good ? Decent?

Comments

HoodedN: Had better had worse. I’d say it’s good

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Count every time she has said "Want" vs how many times you have
    Count how many of those "Wants" you have actually vs how many of yours she has and that will help with your situation.

Comments

splitthis:
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Silver
    Load Metric
    It looks like things began to change after you won the PFA heads -up spring classic.

Maybe she’s insecure because of your achievements champ.
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post
    Thanks. I am currently in the process of picking one out. It’s great advice just hard to follow. Anyone who has been there knows. It is a little different in this situation though because it’s not like she doesn’t want me back. I know that when she’s ready it will happen, so I’ve been giving her space. We still talk everyday and it is mostly initiated by me, but she doesn’t seem to mind and has said she doesn’t want anything to change in that regard.
    Hold off on any engagement and really think about what you want the future to be. If not earning enough really is the barrier, then come up with a plan to get more schooling, work towards something bigger etc. She will appreciate it when actual moves are being made.

Get something in the works and then give it another look. Seems like you're both at different phases right now.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    I read the situation . I'm a 48 year old . Been married twice . My advice is stay at your parents and end this relationship . Your mind is playing tricks on you. You said on the drive to your parents house the lightbulb went off and all of a sudden you where ready to commit. This is also after she tested the waters with the break up. It's natural to want something familiar and that's what your brain is saying go back and give her what she wants. Also from experience it's never good to enter a marriage with a female bread winner. In the story you say you owe 3.5 k in debt . Yet she owns her home and makes amazing money. If she loved you and money was not a roadblock for her she would clear your debt.

Seems to me eventually she is going to hold her success over your head . Just a feeling I get . Top advice I can give you is move on with your life . I promise if you go back or worse marry this girl you will regret it.

Good luck either way
    Gookie

Comments

big dick: good advice

Tellafriend: coge

MumblesBadly: What Tellatard said

Load Metric
    I have more thoughts about this I may write later if I have time but the number one thing that jumped out at me is you are supposed to have your son on Wednesdays but your ex cancelled at the last minute. If you are supposed to have him then you better fucking have him. No ex cancelling at the last minute, if she wants to trade you do it in advance by mutual agreement and you don't let her throw your schedule and your son's into upheaval at the last moment unless there's a real emergency. I don't know what your divorce settlement is but if she doesn't honour it you haul her ass into court. This is for your son's sake most of all. First of all he needs stability in his schedule. Second if you let your ex manipulate you your son won't respect you and another woman definitely won't respect you either. You need to get your situation with your son right before you make another change to your family such as moving in with another woman because he needs to be your absolute top priority.

Load Metric
    She is not into you at all. She is into a dream that she sees on TV. Her dream is to have a family with a loving husband and build a house on her father's land. She wants to make dinner and ring the bell and all the family playing outside comes running in to eat. Then everyone watches TV together and goes to bed at 10pm. You are a method to fulfill a dream, she'll be on to the next guy pretty soon. She obviously is trying to get something she sees on TV.

She wants you to "clear things up?" Fuck that, tell her to mind her business. Where are your balls?

Going to a counselor? WTF does that mean?

Why are you in such a rush to get married again anyways? You have an 8 year old son, he does not need Dad sitting around all depressed. Focus on him, take him to some games, and go out milf hunting when he is with Mom.

Comments

Tellafriend: also coge

BiffCo99:

Muck Ficon: How is that fake kid you have? You of all people to give advice lol

MumblesBadly: Mumbles agrees here, too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    "Lifestyle she wants" is a bad sign because it sounds like she might be a spender, and whatever you make won't be enough, even if you change careers and do considerably better.

Basically it's a good idea to steer clear of "I need _____ $ to support my lifestyle" type women.

There's no problem being with a woman who wants financial stability, but this one sounds too materialistic from your description.

As others have pointed out, she also appears too obsessed with living her life on a schedule, rather than just letting things happen as they do. That's also a bad sign, because it causes people to rush into bad decisions.

She does have a reasonable point in that most women in their late 20s don't want to sit around with a guy who is clearly avoiding commitment and future plans. So if you're really not ready for that sort of thing after the stress of your long relationship, then ditch this one and just fuck around with randoms from dating apps or whatever. You should only enter a relationship at this point if you really want it to lead to something more.

Even if you decide that she's the one you really do want to be with for the future, now you've already tainted the whole thing by making it look like you're only going along with it because of the pressure, and she will be suspicious/resentful for a long time.

Not worth it.

As tough as it is, I would suggest bailing out of this and then carefully assessing what you do want, so you don't get into the situation in the future.

Thread Information