Page 63 of 144 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2869

Thread: ELON MUSK IS GOD

Load Metric
    I’m not gonna pass any sobriety checkpoint, so forgive me. I’m trying.

I am looking at that order and I got scared.

Out of love I am going to say this. NEVER PLACE A MARKET ORDER.

do not trust them to purchase your groceries at the price they think is appropriate. That’s essentially a market order.

Limit orders only. Tell them, “take it or leave it”.

Try to imagine why the other guy (I know it’s an algo but play along) is gonna trade with you. He’s afraid or he’s chasing momo and he’s an idiot. You will get your price and you will start talking to your computer all day. Always have a reason.

Load Metric
    does anyone have any guidance/thoughts on exiting scalps at limit vs market?

im arriving at the conclusion that i should exit via market on trades that are deep in the green, and focus on the buy if things break bad and i need to amscray fast..

if this helps im focusing on large cap securities.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

im arriving at the conclusion that i should exit via market on trades that are deep in the green, and focus on the buy if things break bad and i need to amscray fast..

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER do this...

you are literally letting the algos and JPMs of the world use you like a handi wipe...

like san said, here's my price take it or leave it...when you are trading always have a plan of exit...entering shit is easy, exiting is the hard part...be disciplined in your exit strategy...I buy X at $100, im getting out at $101 (this is what setting a limit price lets you do)...if you think it would suck for it to get to $100.99 and then go down, trail your stop...

Comments

Sanlmar: Beat me to it

Load Metric

You always have a plan.

You always have a stop limit. A point where you have to admit you are wrong. They are all limit orders. I know they see that limit order sitting there. It’s a target for them - that’s fine.

As well, you have an expectation as to where the price will go and a suspicion about where resistance is gonna surface. If it hits resistance and starts to fail you’re out, perhaps. Fib retracements might be allowed as it consolidates. But no more.

Market orders are very rare for me. They usually end badly.

You gotta gotta get into charting. I don’t know any other way to do it. You just develop such a good feel for breakouts and break downs.

You will be fascinated.

Load Metric
    interesting, a guy at SMB who scalps for a living said the opposite. basically hes of the opinion that the risk of not getting filled as momentum stalls outweighs the slippage associated with a market close. which makes sense to me.

but dont get me wrong i see your perspective here too, in fact ive been avoiding market like a plague for exactly those reasons, but today i really got burned and i mean over and over by trying to fade the spread.

and im starting to question if thats necessary on large cap scalping because the spreads are so small...

ill try it both ways and report back tomorrow. if they are getting closed at bid, then thats one thing. and if im getting my balls shot off by algs/hst fuckery, we'll know soon enough.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

You always have a plan.

You always have a stop limit. A point where you have to admit you are wrong. They are all limit orders. I know they see that limit order sitting there. It’s a target for them - that’s fine.

As well, you have an expectation as to where the price will go and a suspicion about where resistance is gonna surface. If it hits resistance and starts to fail you’re out, perhaps. Fib retracements might be allowed as it consolidates. But no more.

You gotta gotta get into charting. I don’t know any other way to do it. You just develop such a good feel for breakouts and break downs.

You will be fascinated.

see this sounds like swing/position trading, where youre trading a thesis.

im just looking for breakouts/momentum and dumping when momentum falters. 20 seconds to 2 minutes in situ then im a slightly richer ghost.

Load Metric
    also apologies i dont mean to ask for advice and then debate you on what you give me, im just talking through my perspective.

Comments

Sanlmar: I have no self esteem so I can’t be hurt

Load Metric

You always have a plan.

You will be fascinated.

see this sounds like swing/position trading, where youre trading a thesis.

im just looking for breakouts/momentum and dumping when momentum falters. 20 seconds to 2 minutes in situ then im a slightly richer ghost.
    That’s pretty much my time frame. But the setups are the same for me in all time frames. A swing trade setup is the same as a scalp.

I mean stuff like capitulation plays are unique and lightning quick but you see them coming. Just another setup as it drills support. You can see the price tapping on support then breaking. I get teary eyed thinking about it. But I’m still limit.

Who’s SMB ?

It’s like poker. I appreciate his approach. That’s just not my game. Maybe he does better then me. I ain’t the greatest

Load Metric
    Basics

A cup and handle break out works in all time frames.

Tried and true.

You try to apply multiple time frames to a trade ideally. If it works weekly, daily, hourly, etc. if I see this then I push buttons

those are best... least variance

Load Metric
    excellent points, and thank you.

SMB is a firm in Manhattan iirc and although they are deeply guilty of the whole 'heres some great content now come to our time share sale i mean seminar' marketing schtick (sorry SMB) their youtube output is quality and ive learned a lot from it.

like they have some traders on their feed who are just deeply bout it bout it and have zero flake-energy, which is a precious thing in this world.

Comments

Sanlmar: Time shares

Load Metric
    Basics

Tried and true.

You try to apply multiple time frames to a trade ideally. If it works weekly, daily, hourly, etc. if I see this then I push buttons

ive been focusing on targeting convergence. last week was averaging like, 2k a day i guess, and today i got hit for 5k and im just like ok fuck this, back to basics, how do i fix this, so im leak hunting atm.

of the 5k i lost today, 2k was from overnight positions (sailors life etc) and 3k was just totally unforced errors, and at least $800 of that was from not getting filled because i waited quite literally a fraction of a second too long before trying to close on the ask and momentum swept the other way.

also and literally every word of this is true:

i went to bed last night at 11:30, and woke up at 3:30 am because of an extremely vivid dream.

i dreamed that VIX was at 23.

so yeah i wasnt in a great mindset by the time 9:30 rolled around.

Load Metric
    Basics

Tried and true.

ive been focusing on targeting convergence. last week was averaging like, 2k a day i guess, and today i got hit for 5k and im just like ok fuck this, back to basics, how do i fix this, so im leak hunting atm.

of the 5k i lost today, 2k was from overnight positions (sailors life etc) and 3k was just totally unforced errors, and at least $800 of that was from not getting filled because i waited quite literally a fraction of a second too long before trying to close on the ask and momentum swept the other way.

also and literally every word of this is true:

i went to bed last night at 11:30, and woke up at 3:30 am because of an extremely vivid dream.

i dreamed that VIX was at 23.

so yeah i wasnt in a great mindset by the time 9:30 rolled around.
    The VIX call Sat was scary. Crazy but there was no waiting. I remember. I remember my thoughts as I read the post too.

However you came to synthesize that idea. Whoever, whatever. Special.

Load Metric
    everyone has moments like that, some get lucky and document them. the people who get the prize are the ones who somehow parlay those antenna twitches into action, i suppose.

Load Metric
    everyone has moments like that, some get lucky and document them. the people who get the prize are the ones who somehow parlay those antenna twitches into action, i suppose.
    How are you not writing a daily column somewhere?
    gotta monetize the language

How have you not been fired?
    Rhetorical. We’ve been thru this before

Load Metric
    How are you not writing a daily column somewhere?
    gotta monetize the language

How have you not been fired?
    Rhetorical. We’ve been thru this before

like true story i just do my 'real' job after 4pm and backfill on weekends. they aint asking no questions so i aint telling no lies.

mabes ill start a blog and pull a michael burry and get noticed by a wealthy benefactor. you know, as soon as i stop spazzing out and spewing thousands of dollars into the ether.

in defense of market purchases/sales, just stumbled across this and found it fairly evocative:

Load Metric
    jeffries just downgraded tsla to a hold.

hope you got your calls in because OBVO MOONING

Load Metric
    SPCE earnings report tonight.

should be interesting considering they havent sold anything and have no revenue.

Load Metric
    SPCE earnings report tonight.

should be interesting considering they havent sold anything and have no revenue.
    So what's the issue?

Comments

sonatine: spce putting us to a decision for all our chips sfo

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Getting toes wet in Palo and Shake Shack today.

Weeeeee

Load Metric
    In RE to yesterday and the bloodbath im reminded of a market truism.

“In bull markets you take the escalator up and the elevator down”.

Yesterday was an elevator day, but this also assumes this isn’t the “turning point”. Lots of reasons to think it was just a blip.

Thread Information