Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random facts about Finland in the aftermath of the remake of Rocky 4.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Neighbour

New Zealand - Australia
    Canada - USA
    Scotland - England (sorry)
    Finland - _____________
    I don't know what you're saying or asking. As an appeasement i offer a random picture of Jari Kurri...

...it's also to add to the point that we love a good hype man. You don't have to steal the show to be one of the greats on your own right.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Is Finnish your first language? If it is, can you explain why your English is better than most Americans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    Is Finnish your first language? If it is, can you explain why your English is better than most Americans?
    It's my first language. I've watched, listened and read English entertainment most my life. In Finland it was always a mixture of American, British, Australian and occasional Irish tv-shows, series and movies. If it came from Finnish TV, it always had subtitles and if you live in that environment for few decades you'd have to be really dense not to pick up the language.

I cut the cord a decade ago and as a result i almost exclusively enjoy English entertainment. Sometimes there are French or Italian shows/movies but even those are with English subtitles.

The Finns lack the capacity/funding with 5,5 mill people to produce enough of their own entertainment to fill the day. So the void was filled with mostly English shows/movies. German cop shows were a thing in the 80s, but even that's mostly gone. There was also a sprinkling of Swedish stuff, but in many ways they are in the same boat as us. As a result we share lots cultural elements related to visual media with all English speaking countries. We just cherry picked the parts that resonated best with us.

I personally love British panel shows. I don't know if it's a common thing in Finland. We always loved everything Fry was a part of. If we had to choose a lovable weasel we'd go with Jimmy Carr. And something like the character of Johnny Vegas is something we're pulled towards, while still loving Michael Pennington.

Comments

Belly Buster: Should have repped this first time round
    Last edited by gimmick; 07-18-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Neighbour

New Zealand - Australia
    Canada - USA
    Scotland - England (sorry)
    Finland - _____________
    I don't know what you're saying or asking. As an appeasement i offer a random picture of Jari Kurri...

...it's also to add to the point that we love a good hype man. You don't have to steal the show to be one of the greats on your own right.
    New Zealand doesn't like to be confused with Australia
    Canada sick and tired of it's brash cousin
    Scotland better than England but get's no respect
    Which Scandy neighbour do Finns think need straightening up?

Teemu Sellane - Jets
    hate the Oilers

Comments

gimmick: ah so Gretzky just on national stage

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

New Zealand doesn't like to be confused with Australia
    Canada sick and tired of it's brash cousin
    Scotland better than England but get's no respect
    Which Scandy neighbour do Finns think need straightening up?

Teemu Sellane - Jets
    hate the Oilers
    Oh now i follow your train of thought. Not necessarily anyone. We like Norway and we have a love/hate relationship with Sweden. We consider it our exclusive right to say mean things about Sweden, but we don't like it if anyone else picks on them. Danes are just really far from us and Icelandic people are kinda the same. Icelandic people are weird as fuck but not in a disturbing way.

Danes have picked a lot influences from central Europe. Iceland is on it's own. We aren't even actually a part of Scandinavian peninsula, but in most ways Finland, Sweden and Norway are together. The other Nordic countries are descended from Germanic Tribes. Mentality wise we are closer to Russians. And by blood we're a weird outlier in Europe.

We aren't super close to rest of Europe genetically, but by far we're closest to Europeans. I think currently the consensus is that we're from a single European ancestor but we got bottle necked genetic wise for so long that while the rest of Europe got mixed with each other we stayed the same. Only influence was some Asian blood from mixing with Sami or something else. We also got divided from each other for 700 odd years.

It's weird that the genetic differences for entire British Isles is on a scale of 1-10 while for Finland it's more like 1-40. The Brits also don't differ that much from their mainland neighbors. Obv this is all differences in that 3% of DNA that all people even can really differ and this is even a smaller part of that when talking about white people.

Load Metric

interesting. i found that the dutch had a better command of english than many of my countrymen.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

interesting. i found that the dutch had a better command of english than many of my countrymen.
    I think they do the same with subtitles in syndicated TV and international movie releases. I assume they show more stuff from Benelux countries and German speaking countries, but it's still good chunk of English speaking entertainment.

Something i also though about was that for generation MTV was a thing. It used to be always in the background. A neutral thing that didn't require too much focus.

Also a lot on international releases of Asian movies were first dubbed in English and then subtitled.

In general there's just a huge difference if the country dubbed or used subtitles. France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and most of the Slavic countries all dubbed everything. So TV wise all they ever heard was their own language.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

I missed this thread the first time around. I think I was on vacation at the time it was posted -- now almost 2.5 years ago.

Two questions for gimmick here, albeit very late:

1) How old are you?

2) Regarding the Finnish girls being discussed, do they generally follow the Scandinavian pattern of being really hot prior to age 30, and then hitting the wall really quickly? I don't know much about Finland, but it seems that in Norway and Sweden, they have a ton of hot girls under 30 (way more per capita than places like the US and UK), but after age 40, not so much. Additionally, I've noticed that certain 2000s-era young male poker pros from Norway/Sweden now look surprisingly old for their age. Like, I'll see them again and be shocked how different they look from 15 years ago. Do you notice this pattern where you live?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BUMP

I missed this thread the first time around. I think I was on vacation at the time it was posted -- now almost 2.5 years ago.

Two questions for gimmick here, albeit very late:

1) How old are you?

2) Regarding the Finnish girls being discussed, do they generally follow the Scandinavian pattern of being really hot prior to age 30, and then hitting the wall really quickly? I don't know much about Finland, but it seems that in Norway and Sweden, they have a ton of hot girls under 30 (way more per capita than places like the US and UK), but after age 40, not so much. Additionally, I've noticed that certain 2000s-era young male poker pros from Norway/Sweden now look surprisingly old for their age. Like, I'll see them again and be shocked how different they look from 15 years ago. Do you notice this pattern where you live?
    1) Early forties.

2) Not really. Scandinavians are Germanic tribes that moved north. Finns are not. On the west coast there's some Scandinavian genes and most Finnish-Swedes live there and close to the the eastern border there's more Slavic influence. In general it's believed Finns ancestors are Siberian migrants from before 3500 BC and other tribes that lived in the area from 9000 BC (possibly Sami).

Comments

big dick: gimmick is GOD

Thread Information