Thread: projekt romex: this episode - druff buys a watch

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

projekt romex: this episode - druff buys a watch

Name:  druff_wtf.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  54.1 KB

druff,

i'm going to do you a solid here. i've been involved in watches for over 20 years. i also use to work at breitling. you can call me a motherfkn expert on the subject.

i am going to recommend a few watches that you would be proud to wear next to your wsop bracelet. even if you wear 3xl sweats and other clothes off of the kohls clearance rack at the poker table. i'm not going to critique your polo shirt or other fashion or non fashion wardrobe choices.

i can only generalize on your lifestyle and physical size. i take it you're 6'4 and around 230? not as big in our current time as in the 80's / 90's but you're still a very big dude. this will allow you to pick larger watches and give you more choices that you can pull off. it wasn't that long ago the being 5'8 was average sized.

i take it from all the years in the forums and remember threads you want to lose weight that you don't lead an active lifestyle. what i mean by that is you don't really do that much running, biking or swimming for exercise. also,..from your frugal nature i don't think you want to spend 5-10k on a watch that you don't feel defines you or is necessary. (yes i know you can afford it it you wanted it) i can relate to some of this. paying that much for a watch will make you worry. worry about something happening to it, banging it, etc, etc. being a slave to your watches isn't good.

now that we have that out of the way we're going to focus on pricing. from what i gather i think you might be comfortable in the $500-1000 range. if you're not, then we really have to look at vintage watches from $200 -500. either of these price points are excellent and the watches i recommend will not lose any or much value should you decide to sell them. i always recommend vintage and pre-owned. but you can still find good deals on an acceptable watch new. if this is about making money always buy vintage. (but i don't think money is a prevailing factor here.) however, i don't recommend going any lower.

another consideration and very important factor is comfort on the wrist. this is very important as we age. even if you like a certain watch, if it's a brick on your wrist you just may fall out of favor from it. larger watches naturally are heavier. put them on a nice bracelet with and it becomes even heavier. if you were to sport it with a nato or leather strap it will be less weight. but i can't say it will be any more/less comfortable either way.

now it comes to watch taste. people are all over the place when it comes to this. just because your conservative doesn't mean you don't want any style or bling to you're timepiece. it could be but i don't know. i'm personally not a fan of polished stainless steel. most/some love it. it's dressier and on quite a few of the new watches. it's pretty much unavoidable to some extent with mainstream brands and it's not necessarily bling either. it also seems like rolex and other jewelry type watches will have both brushed an polished surfaces. on the flip side of this there is pvd and bead blasted finishes. i won't really suggest those for you. maybe a pvd. titanium is definitely in the ballpark.

knowing what i know i will present several options. i will mainly focus on 40-42mm in size. you can always go 38mm but it might look like a stamp on your wrist as you're big guy. i will try to not recommend 43-45mm unless you really like that size. (you prolly can pull it off as well. so maybe)) smaller watches do mean less weight and more comfort though.

i guess the guidlines i wrote above can apply to many in here.

Comments

CrackPipes and Kakfights: Quite a thoughtful post. He probably can’t swim so eliminate a diver. I think an omega speed master would be nice since he seems to like Chronos
    Last edited by mulva; 06-30-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    watch #1

this is a great deal. not a good deal. a great one. you will never lose money buying this watch at 600. and if ebay has a promotion you could possible get around 50 ebay bucks.

alpina seastrong heritage compressor for $599 is great deal on the bay.....this is a 1k watch on the grey market. and 1300-1800 retail.

i don't think this price point is a new low standard, even though oris/alpina are all over the place in pricing. somebody/third party dealers got a hold of some the black dial versions and their discounting them quite a bit. i just bought it and it's a lil too big @ 42mm and elegant for me. i can pull it off because of the relatively low height but, ehhhhh. i just know it's not me. i really appreciate the smaller vintage 60's compressors more.

however.....i should be able to flip it for profit once the stock on the bay vanishes. it's an outstanding deal

https://www.fratellowatches.com/alpi...-hands-review/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpina-Seas...4AAOSwfRlbMERz

Name:  L1120298.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  334.7 KB

Name:  AlpinaSeastrongHeritage5L.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  84.4 KB
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    second watch i will recommend is another mid their brand. oris. while oris and alpina will not have the fuck off value of let's say rolex or breiting quite a few of their designs are pretty sharp.

if we're talking sub 1K price range it's not a bad choice for the most part. however, i don't now where you are brand wise or what you associate them to. for better or for worse.

this one is newer and will set you back more because it has a bronze bezel. you can get the regular bezel/older version for around 7/800 in mint pre-owned condition or not that much more for new.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/oris-divers-sixty-five-bronze-bezel-introducing

Name:  Oris-65-bronze-bezel-6.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  84.0 KB

or you can go this new vintage looking route at 40mm as well for around the same price. the orise 65 heritage

both are very sharp. and both prolly should be purchased new unless you can get a really goot deal.

Name:  Oris-Divers-Sixty-Five-5.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  225.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    next watch i'm going to recommend is the new modern day rolex sub equivalent.

the tudor black bay. which is made by rolex and has an in house movement

these line of watches are incredible. and will be the only pricey watch i will put here

these will run you from 2k to around 3k. its not often you will find them pre-owned for 2k either. they seems to have a pretty high resale. i would only buy a pre-owned one from a reputable dealer or person preferably on the rolex forums or maybe omega forums.

since your loaded and prolly a one watch guy buy it new from either joma or ashford.

the only reason i haven't bought one is because at 41mm it's a little bigger than i want. plus it sits a little high. the 41mm will be fine for you.

the new version that just came out is on my to get list. @ 39mm. and it's 2k less expensive than the omega 57 that i want.

i love the watch, i love the no date. they even have a pvd version as well. always opt for the bracelet model buying new as the price is nominal in most cases and it's really worth it,

https://monochrome-watches.com/tudor...-review-price/

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Love my Black Bay Blue

Name:  20180708_235250.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  3.08 MB
    Slava Ukraini!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    Love my Black Bay Blue

Name:  20180708_235250.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  3.08 MB
    awesome looking watch. much better than the heartless new shit rolex churns out imo.

tudor bb 58 is heavily on my radar. i don't really want the new gilt version but the size is better for me. i'm sure they'll come out with another colorway

Comments

adamantium: 58 to small for me, eyeballing a red one

Silver
    Load Metric
    Mulva,

Opinions on Submariner, Omega and other counterfeits/fakes? I would think after years and years of refining the submariner clones, they would be perfect.

There are some dealers that have been around forever, but I think there are only a few factories in China that make them. There are some forums where these losers talk about fake watches all day - rep geek and RWG are a few terms you can google to find the forums, if you care.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Mulva,

Opinions on Submariner, Omega and other counterfeits/fakes? I would think after years and years of refining the submariner clones, they would be perfect.

There are some dealers that have been around forever, but I think there are only a few factories in China that make them. There are some forums where these losers talk about fake watches all day - rep geek and RWG are a few terms you can google to find the forums, if you care.
    they are pretty close to perfect. the ones i'm talking about aren't your run of the mill rolex replicas. they're made by skilled watch artesians only limited by $$$, parts, and determination to get it exact.

1st they start out with a case that's really close to genuine. if it's not that close it gets shaved to make it close. some are made really well and accept gen parts as well as aftermarket

throw a pretty close to original dial into the oven or artificially age it by other means. some are easy to spot as fakes, but some are not..and some peeps use genuine

add proper serial numbers, replace crown and crown tube drill spring bars holes....replace inlay with gen, etc, etc

source swiss movement or rolex movement not original to watch

add all this up and you have a very nice watch priced anywhere from 500 to 3000....frankenstein version

it's a minefield out there. i firmly believe most vintage tudor snowflakes, rangers and subs and all frankenstein or fake. it's an awful buy unless you have concrete provenance. price are stupid redick for some of them
    Last edited by mulva; 07-08-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    the unknown druff watch...aprox 38/40mm

still can't make it out even zooming it....kenneth cole?

i did notice plenty of crud in between the end pieces and watch doing it. clean that plz..this isn't good patina

i came across this pic not even searching for druff. it was a morty search

Name:  druffa.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  1.74 MB

Name:  druffa1.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  105.2 KB
    Last edited by mulva; 07-08-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Load Metric
    Druff should go with this one. Looks great at a great price!

Name:  8FDF2B9D-3124-4F86-B5F2-16DA99C5ECCA.jpeg
Views: 381
Size:  33.8 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    the unknown druff watch...aprox 38/40mm

still can't make it out even zooming it....kenneth cole?

i did notice plenty of crud in between the end pieces and watch doing it. clean that plz..this isn't good patina

i came across this pic not even searching for druff. it was a morty search

Name:  druffa.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  1.74 MB

Name:  druffa1.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  105.2 KB
    Whoa a Vicky。!!!

Another pusherless Chrono?? Nice spot Mulva. This cannot be a coincidence. What kind of a conspiracy this is I am not sure. As suggested before Druff needs a Speedmaster to be taken half seriously in the watch game.

Seriously thoughDruff inquiring horological dirtbags want to know. What is this eatch???

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That's the same watch.

If anyone's wondering, the girl is Amanda Stinchecum (yes, her real name), who once appeared on PFA Radio.

Picture taken about a year ago.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    That's the same watch.

If anyone's wondering, the girl is Amanda Stinchecum (yes, her real name), who once appeared on PFA Radio.

Picture taken about a year ago.
    amanda stinkcum.......poor girl

at least she has the mary stuart masterson thing going on. are you her eric stoltz?

Name:  fvge.png
Views: 257
Size:  673.3 KB

i really think ur watch is a circa 2002 kenneth cole.

here is a pic of a blue dial updated present day one. without the cursive script

amirite

for bounus points i say u purchased it at tj maxx or marshalls when u were shopping for discount polos

Name:  kenny.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  21.3 KB

Last edited by mulva; 07-11-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Load Metric
    I have some watch thoughts but I need you to focus Mulva.

Yankees Severino vs Indians Kluber

The sickest numbers for both guys. Kluber could be pitching from hate after the 2017 playoff loss to Yankees. Sub 1.00 WHIPs for both

Easily the matchup of the year so far.

Again, I still remember you spotting Kluber when he was just a prospect and you raved about his stuff. No one ever heard of him before that.

Gonna be a tough loss

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I have some watch thoughts but I need you to focus Mulva.

Yankees Severino vs Indians Kluber

The sickest numbers for both guys. Kluber could be pitching from hate after the 2017 playoff loss to Yankees. Sub 1.00 WHIPs for both

Easily the matchup of the year so far.

Again, I still remember you spotting Kluber when he was just a prospect and you raved about his stuff. No one ever heard of him before that.

Gonna be a tough loss
    when i use to bet baseball i had a sick winning percentage betting primarily pitchers and match ups. sometimes i would lay 2.2-1 odds but most were 150-165-180

i wouldn't bet this game. but the yanks are no longer a left handed hitting team. kluber at his best can neutralize them.

lol @ yank, boston and seattle. all on pace for 100 wins and tow of them will play in a 1 game playoff....such a joke for everyone involved. 2 fucking 100 win teams deciding their season by 1 game.
    Last edited by mulva; 07-12-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Load Metric
    I have skimmed this thread Mulva and my reaction is that this watch discussion is like arguing which carburetors are superior and how to tune them. Webber, Edelbrock, Holley. Is that a 4 barrel or a 2 barrel? You have trouble tuning your dual carbs?

I know how to jet carburetors but that doesn’t make me stylish and is useless as a watch these days.

I am more than likely always late for social stuff. Strike that, I am late for everything.

If we are going somewhere nice for dinner during the summer and I elect to wear a short sleeve shirt I am still old school enough that I feel I need a watch to dress things up. I wear a watch so infrequently that it always has the wrong time cause it wasn’t wound or it is one of those Eco jobs that needs sunlight and it’s been in the dark drawer. I’ll put the watch on my dashboard to catch some light while we are racing to the reservation I am no doubt late for. It’ll slide back and forth as I round corners. Otherwise, I am driving with my knees as I try to set the time on a conventional timepiece.

I have a buddy who is younger than me and he is always on the alert for evidence that I am old in habit or speech and he attacks. Recently he needled me about wearing a watch. He offered that if I’m going to wear a watch there is some modicum of redemption for me if I DON’T set the time. It would demonstrate some attitude and style that he feels I otherwise lack.

He told about Andy Warhol’s watch collection and the fact that Warhol never set the time on his watches.

Why Men Are Wearing Watches That Don’t Tell Time
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-men...ime-1531155881

Watches are as passé as carburetors.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    druff. open up your overstuffed g. costanza wallet, takeout your amex gold card and buy this limted edition omega motm chrono.

throw the kenneth cole in the trash and rock your wsop on one wrist while wearing the omega on the other.

can be had for under $3.4k with cashback

ball out

https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch...403001001.html

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...he-new-omega-s

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...-space/product

Name:  omeg.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  57.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Thread Information