Thread: Ireland Trip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Load Metric

Ireland Trip

I'm planning a 19 day trip to Ireland in May & am looking for some advice. I'll have 17 full days to circle the island including N. Ireland & would appreciate any tips concerning accomodations, sites, driving, restaurants & pubs or anything that might have overlooked. I've researched most of the well known tourist sites but am looking for some out of the way things that you found to be well worth the time, though, perhaps unexpectly so. We would be considered foodies as well as enjoy wine & beers & Irish music & while we have a budget, money will not be a problem or prevent us from doing something we really want to.

I've already booked our first 3 nights & our last night in Dublin & we plan on doing the B&B thing & book as we go so any good B&B recommendations would be appreciated also.

I plan on golfing at least 1 round so recommendations for some nice little courses around the island so I can try to pick a nicer day to do this would be appreciated. Not really looking for championship calibre but more something you've played & really thought it embodied Irish links golf. The only recommendation I've had so far is Cruit Island Golf Club in Donegal County so I'm open to other suggestions.

Besides taking the ferry over to the Isle of Mann & going to the FTP offices to kick Ray Bitar in the nuts, what else should I not miss out on while I'm in Ireland.

TIA
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I was last in Ireland in 1991.

The most memorable part of the trip was my visit to the Skellig Islands:

Really unique and interesting place.

HOWEVER, make sure the sea isn't choppy on the day you go. I made that mistake and threw up twice in the little boat going there, plus got thrown on the floor of the boat when it went over a big wave. The ride back was peaceful and nice, though.

Just make sure the sea is calm and it will be a memorable visit.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

HOWEVER, make sure the sea isn't choppy on the day you go. I made that mistake and threw up twice in the little boat going there, plus got thrown on the floor of the boat when it went over a big wave. The ride back was peaceful and nice, though.

I've looked at this & really want to go but my wife gets sea sick & is afraid of heights so it would probably be a waste of time for her. I heard the climb to the top doesn't have handrails & is very dangerous for someone who gets vertigo from heights.

It would probbaly be the perfect oppurtunity if I was ready to trade her in but I still kinda like her so.......
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

I've looked at this & really want to go but my wife gets sea sick & is afraid of heights so it would probably be a waste of time for her. I heard the climb to the top doesn't have handrails & is very dangerous for someone who gets vertigo from heights.

It would probbaly be the perfect oppurtunity if I was ready to trade her in but I still kinda like her so.......
    Okay.

I don't remember the climb being particularly treacherous. I suppose I could have forgotten after 21 years, but I think I'd remember if I was fearing for my life during the climp up. The only negative part of the trip to the Skelligs was the boat ride there.

But yeah, if she gets sea sick easily, you probably shouldn't go, unless the sea is really calm.

Load Metric
    Okay.

I don't remember the climb being particularly treacherous. I suppose I could have forgotten after 21 years, but I think I'd remember if I was fearing for my life during the climp up. The only negative part of the trip to the Skelligs was the boat ride there.

But yeah, if she gets sea sick easily, you probably shouldn't go, unless the sea is really calm.
    I read & saw pictures showing the stairs right on the side of the cliff with no handrails. They say a few people die there every year.

How was the Skellig Discovery Center in Portmagee? Was it worth it to visit & not take the trip to the actual island?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Banned
    Load Metric
    i have been there many times for visits with the family in the north outside of belfast, in strabane and on the coast near donegal, I have family who farm near cork and i have a cousin outside of dublin. No matter where you go you will experience the kindness and good natured hospitality of the irish as their nature is to be friendly at all times.

A couple of points of interest to see would be the wicklow hills just south of dublin for its pure beauty and also the giant's causeway area outside belfast as it is like nothing you will see any where else.

There are many historic castles you might enjoy also.

Golf is a big attraction everywhere on the island and you will enjoy where ever you play obv.

you will be sure to have a good time, guarenteed.

Load Metric
    I'm planning a 19 day trip to Ireland in May & am looking for some advice. I'll have 17 full days to circle the island including N. Ireland & would appreciate any tips concerning accomodations, sites, driving, restaurants & pubs or anything that might have overlooked. I've researched most of the well known tourist sites but am looking for some out of the way things that you found to be well worth the time, though, perhaps unexpectly so. We would be considered foodies as well as enjoy wine & beers & Irish music & while we have a budget, money will not be a problem or prevent us from doing something we really want to.

I've already booked our first 3 nights & our last night in Dublin & we plan on doing the B&B thing & book as we go so any good B&B recommendations would be appreciated also.

I plan on golfing at least 1 round so recommendations for some nice little courses around the island so I can try to pick a nicer day to do this would be appreciated. Not really looking for championship calibre but more something you've played & really thought it embodied Irish links golf. The only recommendation I've had so far is Cruit Island Golf Club in Donegal County so I'm open to other suggestions.

Besides taking the ferry over to the Isle of Mann & going to the FTP offices to kick Ray Bitar in the nuts, what else should I not miss out on while I'm in Ireland.

TIA
    You should definitely make a trip out to the Guinness Brewery if you are a beer lover. It is very interesting hearing about the history and the brewing process of Guinness. Plus you will have the opportunity of tasting beers that are not available to the public.

P.S. You won't find Full Tilt at the Isle of Mann. You will find Poker Stars though. You can say hi to Isai Scheinberg
    Last edited by Bootsy Collins; 03-10-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Running into HTML tags
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    You should definitely make a trip out to the Guinness Brewery if you are a beer lover. It is very interesting hearing about the history and the brewing process of Guinness. Plus you will have the opportunity of tasting beers that are not available to the public.

P.S. You won't find Full Tilt at the Isle of Mann. You will find Poker Stars though. You can say hi to Isai Scheinberg
    Yeah good point. Although he deserves a kick in the nuts for all the bad beats I seem to take in the Sunday Millions.
    Or maybe I just suck at poker. Nah, that can't be it. A kick in the nuts is obviously deserved.

BTW, I'll be sure to check out the Guinness brewery for sure.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    I went with the wife long ago too (1998?) so my info isn't current... but we started in Dublin, did the Guinness Brewery and explored the city before renting a car and driving south and clockwise around the island, ending in Shannon. Golf in Killarney, Waterford Castle, spend some time in Galway, hit the major sites, skip Cork altogether (easily our least favorite city).... It's a beautiful drive... enjoy.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    FTP are (were) based in Dublin so maybe find Bitar there without the need to go to the Isle of Man.

Poker (and gambling in general) is very popular in Ireland, but oddly live poker is illegal in Northern Ireland, even though it is legal in the rest of the UK.

Load Metric
    Will post more in this thread later, but for now: http://www.connemaraireland.com/

You will not regret visiting Galway.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

TIA
    WHO DONE EVER GOED ON A 19 DAY TRIP - HELL I DONE MOVED PLACES FOR LESS TIME THEN THAT - YOU AINT RIGHT - HAVE FUN -

Load Metric
    Leaving tomorrow. Any last minute things I should know or plan?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Didn't read the earlier posts in part due to jealousy
    but what is "hockey guy" doing leave N.A during the playoffs?
    Is this hockey guy listening to non hockey girl?
    Hope you golf?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Make sure to go to a pub in Belfast and raise a toast to the queen!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Hope you golf?
    Limitles you better sit down buddy. Are you sitting? Okay I'll continue.

We're playing Royal Portrush in N. Ireland the site of Darren Clarke's Open Championship triumph. We are also staying in a B&B right across the street from it for a few nights.

And yes it is ironic that Hockey Guy will miss some of the playoffs but I'll be back in time to see the Stanley Cup hoisted & keep my 40 year streak of witnessing that on live TV. It the one moment every year that sends chills down my spine literally.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Hope you golf?
    Limitles you better sit down buddy. Are you sitting? Okay I'll continue.

We're playing Royal Portrush in N. Ireland the site of Darren Clarke's Open Championship triumph. We are also staying in a B&B right across the street from it for a few nights.

And yes it is ironic that Hockey Guy will miss some of the playoffs but I'll be back in time to see the Stanley Cup hoisted & keep my 40 year streak of witnessing that on live TV. It the one moment every year that sends chills down my spine literally.
    I knew it. Honestly I hope I make it there one day and die after putting out on the 18th
    or after a long night of bar hopping.
    Pics are manatory obv

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Leaving tomorrow. Any last minute things I should know or plan?
    Take several umbrellas, waterproofs, coats etc. Weather has been terrible the last 6 weeks, even by Irish standards.

Thread Information