Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Ireland Trip

  1. #1
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1089
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,280

    Ireland Trip

    I'm planning a 19 day trip to Ireland in May & am looking for some advice. I'll have 17 full days to circle the island including N. Ireland & would appreciate any tips concerning accomodations, sites, driving, restaurants & pubs or anything that might have overlooked. I've researched most of the well known tourist sites but am looking for some out of the way things that you found to be well worth the time, though, perhaps unexpectly so. We would be considered foodies as well as enjoy wine & beers & Irish music & while we have a budget, money will not be a problem or prevent us from doing something we really want to.

    I've already booked our first 3 nights & our last night in Dublin & we plan on doing the B&B thing & book as we go so any good B&B recommendations would be appreciated also.

    I plan on golfing at least 1 round so recommendations for some nice little courses around the island so I can try to pick a nicer day to do this would be appreciated. Not really looking for championship calibre but more something you've played & really thought it embodied Irish links golf. The only recommendation I've had so far is Cruit Island Golf Club in Donegal County so I'm open to other suggestions.

    Besides taking the ferry over to the Isle of Mann & going to the FTP offices to kick Ray Bitar in the nuts, what else should I not miss out on while I'm in Ireland.

    TIA
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  2. #2
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4649
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,544
    Blog Entries
    2
    I was last in Ireland in 1991.

    The most memorable part of the trip was my visit to the Skellig Islands:



    Really unique and interesting place.

    HOWEVER, make sure the sea isn't choppy on the day you go. I made that mistake and threw up twice in the little boat going there, plus got thrown on the floor of the boat when it went over a big wave. The ride back was peaceful and nice, though.

    Just make sure the sea is calm and it will be a memorable visit.

  3. #3
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1089
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I was last in Ireland in 1991.

    The most memorable part of the trip was my visit to the Skellig Islands:

    Really unique and interesting place.

    HOWEVER, make sure the sea isn't choppy on the day you go. I made that mistake and threw up twice in the little boat going there, plus got thrown on the floor of the boat when it went over a big wave. The ride back was peaceful and nice, though.

    Just make sure the sea is calm and it will be a memorable visit.
    I've looked at this & really want to go but my wife gets sea sick & is afraid of heights so it would probably be a waste of time for her. I heard the climb to the top doesn't have handrails & is very dangerous for someone who gets vertigo from heights.

    It would probbaly be the perfect oppurtunity if I was ready to trade her in but I still kinda like her so.......
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  4. #4
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4649
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,544
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I was last in Ireland in 1991.

    The most memorable part of the trip was my visit to the Skellig Islands:

    Really unique and interesting place.

    HOWEVER, make sure the sea isn't choppy on the day you go. I made that mistake and threw up twice in the little boat going there, plus got thrown on the floor of the boat when it went over a big wave. The ride back was peaceful and nice, though.

    Just make sure the sea is calm and it will be a memorable visit.
    I've looked at this & really want to go but my wife gets sea sick & is afraid of heights so it would probably be a waste of time for her. I heard the climb to the top doesn't have handrails & is very dangerous for someone who gets vertigo from heights.

    It would probbaly be the perfect oppurtunity if I was ready to trade her in but I still kinda like her so.......
    Okay.

    I don't remember the climb being particularly treacherous. I suppose I could have forgotten after 21 years, but I think I'd remember if I was fearing for my life during the climp up. The only negative part of the trip to the Skelligs was the boat ride there.

    But yeah, if she gets sea sick easily, you probably shouldn't go, unless the sea is really calm.

  5. #5
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1089
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Okay.

    I don't remember the climb being particularly treacherous. I suppose I could have forgotten after 21 years, but I think I'd remember if I was fearing for my life during the climp up. The only negative part of the trip to the Skelligs was the boat ride there.

    But yeah, if she gets sea sick easily, you probably shouldn't go, unless the sea is really calm.
    I read & saw pictures showing the stairs right on the side of the cliff with no handrails. They say a few people die there every year.

    How was the Skellig Discovery Center in Portmagee? Was it worth it to visit & not take the trip to the actual island?
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  6. #6
    i have been there many times for visits with the family in the north outside of belfast, in strabane and on the coast near donegal, I have family who farm near cork and i have a cousin outside of dublin. No matter where you go you will experience the kindness and good natured hospitality of the irish as their nature is to be friendly at all times.

    A couple of points of interest to see would be the wicklow hills just south of dublin for its pure beauty and also the giant's causeway area outside belfast as it is like nothing you will see any where else.

    There are many historic castles you might enjoy also.

    Golf is a big attraction everywhere on the island and you will enjoy where ever you play obv.

    you will be sure to have a good time, guarenteed.

  7. #7
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1089
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,280
    Quote Originally Posted by neveragain39 View Post
    i have been there many times for visits with the family in the north outside of belfast, in strabane and on the coast near donegal, I have family who farm near cork and i have a cousin outside of dublin. No matter where you go you will experience the kindness and good natured hospitality of the irish as their nature is to be friendly at all times.

    A couple of points of interest to see would be the wicklow hills just south of dublin for its pure beauty and also the giant's causeway area outside belfast as it is like nothing you will see any where else.

    There are many historic castles you might enjoy also.

    Golf is a big attraction everywhere on the island and you will enjoy where ever you play obv.

    you will be sure to have a good time, guarenteed.
    I'm really looking forward to the Antrim Coast in N. Ireland as well as Mizen Head & Kinsale. Glendalough is also in the plans as well as numerous castles.
    What is your 1 favorite castle? I'm thinking Kilkenny or Rock of Cashel from my research.
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neveragain39 View Post
    i have been there many times for visits with the family in the north outside of belfast, in strabane and on the coast near donegal, I have family who farm near cork and i have a cousin outside of dublin. No matter where you go you will experience the kindness and good natured hospitality of the irish as their nature is to be friendly at all times.

    A couple of points of interest to see would be the wicklow hills just south of dublin for its pure beauty and also the giant's causeway area outside belfast as it is like nothing you will see any where else.

    There are many historic castles you might enjoy also.

    Golf is a big attraction everywhere on the island and you will enjoy where ever you play obv.

    you will be sure to have a good time, guarenteed.
    I'm really looking forward to the Antrim Coast in N. Ireland as well as Mizen Head & Kinsale. Glendalough is also in the plans as well as numerous castles.
    What is your 1 favorite castle? I'm thinking Kilkenny or Rock of Cashel from my research.
    Kilkenny is scenic and loaded with history. very much worth it to spend a day there.
    I also enjoyed blarney near cork and also bantry house and bantry bay and killarney , muckross house , and also kinsale which felt like a continental culture and also their weather systems are generally warmer..

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    What is your 1 favorite castle?


    Castle Grayskull is my #1

  10. #10
    Gold Bootsy Collins's Avatar
    Reputation
    125
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I'm planning a 19 day trip to Ireland in May & am looking for some advice. I'll have 17 full days to circle the island including N. Ireland & would appreciate any tips concerning accomodations, sites, driving, restaurants & pubs or anything that might have overlooked. I've researched most of the well known tourist sites but am looking for some out of the way things that you found to be well worth the time, though, perhaps unexpectly so. We would be considered foodies as well as enjoy wine & beers & Irish music & while we have a budget, money will not be a problem or prevent us from doing something we really want to.

    I've already booked our first 3 nights & our last night in Dublin & we plan on doing the B&B thing & book as we go so any good B&B recommendations would be appreciated also.

    I plan on golfing at least 1 round so recommendations for some nice little courses around the island so I can try to pick a nicer day to do this would be appreciated. Not really looking for championship calibre but more something you've played & really thought it embodied Irish links golf. The only recommendation I've had so far is Cruit Island Golf Club in Donegal County so I'm open to other suggestions.

    Besides taking the ferry over to the Isle of Mann & going to the FTP offices to kick Ray Bitar in the nuts, what else should I not miss out on while I'm in Ireland.


    TIA
    You should definitely make a trip out to the Guinness Brewery if you are a beer lover. It is very interesting hearing about the history and the brewing process of Guinness. Plus you will have the opportunity of tasting beers that are not available to the public.



    P.S. You won't find Full Tilt at the Isle of Mann. You will find Poker Stars though. You can say hi to Isai Scheinberg
    Last edited by Bootsy Collins; 03-10-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Running into HTML tags

  11. #11
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1089
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    You should definitely make a trip out to the Guinness Brewery if you are a beer lover. It is very interesting hearing about the history and the brewing process of Guinness. Plus you will have the opportunity of tasting beers that are not available to the public.



    P.S. You won't find Full Tilt at the Isle of Mann. You will find Poker Stars though. You can say hi to Isai Scheinberg
    Yeah good point. Although he deserves a kick in the nuts for all the bad beats I seem to take in the Sunday Millions.
    Or maybe I just suck at poker. Nah, that can't be it. A kick in the nuts is obviously deserved.

    BTW, I'll be sure to check out the Guinness brewery for sure.
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  12. #12
    I went with the wife long ago too (1998?) so my info isn't current... but we started in Dublin, did the Guinness Brewery and explored the city before renting a car and driving south and clockwise around the island, ending in Shannon. Golf in Killarney, Waterford Castle, spend some time in Galway, hit the major sites, skip Cork altogether (easily our least favorite city).... It's a beautiful drive... enjoy.

  13. #13
    NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Reputation
    1116
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,222
    FTP are (were) based in Dublin so maybe find Bitar there without the need to go to the Isle of Man.

    Poker (and gambling in general) is very popular in Ireland, but oddly live poker is illegal in Northern Ireland, even though it is legal in the rest of the UK.

  14. #14
    Gold Kuntmissioner's Avatar
    Reputation
    302
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Savin Hill
    Posts
    1,078
    Will post more in this thread later, but for now: http://www.connemaraireland.com/

    You will not regret visiting Galway.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Reputation
    10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    210
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I'm planning a 19 day trip to Ireland in May & am looking for some advice. I'll have 17 full days to circle the island including N. Ireland & would appreciate any tips concerning accomodations, sites, driving, restaurants & pubs or anything that might have overlooked. I've researched most of the well known tourist sites but am looking for some out of the way things that you found to be well worth the time, though, perhaps unexpectly so. We would be considered foodies as well as enjoy wine & beers & Irish music & while we have a budget, money will not be a problem or prevent us from doing something we really want to.

    I've already booked our first 3 nights & our last night in Dublin & we plan on doing the B&B thing & book as we go so any good B&B recommendations would be appreciated also.

    I plan on golfing at least 1 round so recommendations for some nice little courses around the island so I can try to pick a nicer day to do this would be appreciated. Not really looking for championship calibre but more something you've played & really thought it embodied Irish links golf. The only recommendation I've had so far is Cruit Island Golf Club in Donegal County so I'm open to other suggestions.

    Besides taking the ferry over to the Isle of Mann & going to the FTP offices to kick Ray Bitar in the nuts, what else should I not miss out on while I'm in Ireland.

    TIA
    WHO DONE EVER GOED ON A 19 DAY TRIP - HELL I DONE MOVED PLACES FOR LESS TIME THEN THAT - YOU AINT RIGHT - HAVE FUN -

  16. #16
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1089
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,280
    Leaving tomorrow. Any last minute things I should know or plan?
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  17. #17
    Can't Post
    Reputation
    1169
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bubbles & The Baron
    Posts
    11,480
    Didn't read the earlier posts in part due to jealousy
    but what is "hockey guy" doing leave N.A during the playoffs?
    Is this hockey guy listening to non hockey girl?
    Hope you golf?

  18. #18
    Make sure to go to a pub in Belfast and raise a toast to the queen!

  19. #19
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1089
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,280
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Didn't read the earlier posts in part due to jealousy
    but what is "hockey guy" doing leave N.A during the playoffs?
    Is this hockey guy listening to non hockey girl?
    Hope you golf?
    Limitles you better sit down buddy. Are you sitting? Okay I'll continue.

    We're playing Royal Portrush in N. Ireland the site of Darren Clarke's Open Championship triumph. We are also staying in a B&B right across the street from it for a few nights.

    And yes it is ironic that Hockey Guy will miss some of the playoffs but I'll be back in time to see the Stanley Cup hoisted & keep my 40 year streak of witnessing that on live TV. It the one moment every year that sends chills down my spine literally.
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  20. #20
    Can't Post
    Reputation
    1169
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bubbles & The Baron
    Posts
    11,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Didn't read the earlier posts in part due to jealousy
    but what is "hockey guy" doing leave N.A during the playoffs?
    Is this hockey guy listening to non hockey girl?
    Hope you golf?
    Limitles you better sit down buddy. Are you sitting? Okay I'll continue.

    We're playing Royal Portrush in N. Ireland the site of Darren Clarke's Open Championship triumph. We are also staying in a B&B right across the street from it for a few nights.

    And yes it is ironic that Hockey Guy will miss some of the playoffs but I'll be back in time to see the Stanley Cup hoisted & keep my 40 year streak of witnessing that on live TV. It the one moment every year that sends chills down my spine literally.
    I knew it. Honestly I hope I make it there one day and die after putting out on the 18th
    or after a long night of bar hopping.
    Pics are manatory obv

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Slim T Trip Report
    By WillieMcFML in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 11:32 AM
  2. Hockey Guy's Ireland Adventure
    By Hockey Guy in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM
  3. *Official* MLB Ballparks Trip Reports
    By Sloppy Joe in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 06:05 PM
  4. ATLANTIC CITY TRIP REPORT
    By Drexel in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 07:22 AM
  5. Trip Hop Thread
    By Krypt in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •