Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CNN's Anthony Bourdain helsed himself

Load Metric
    id bet basically anything that he did this to escape a very particular set of neurological issues that were coming his way.

aka pulling a robin williams.

they both did a _lot_ of drugs in their youth and people arent talking about the connection between like LBD and that.. yet... but ive seen a lot of evidence of that connection in the wild. its not a disease you want to stick around for necessarily.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Hearing it was over a girl.

Hella beta move, imo.

Comments

sah_24: Ding Ding Ding - truly a weak minded beta !

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    sad story

I do wonder what the catalyst was behind this one. Did he relapse on heroin and was so ashamed of himself he couldn't live anymore. Family issues, drunk, it boggles the mind somewhat. To be traveling the world being paid top dollar, acclaimed chef, moneys not a problem it makes little sense. Something tells me the details of this one will end up being shocking or quite confusing.

Any note left behind???

maybe Hoser can shed some light on this one
    Once an H user always an H user. It never stops. Ever.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    anthony bourdain was GOD

/thread

Indeed. Appeared to have the rare enviable life and niche. Truly shocked at this one. Half expecting to hear about a pancreatic cancer diagnosis in the next few days or something.
    This....or as Garrett said maybe he got into opiates heavy again and actually just accidentally OD'd.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by igotnotoe View Post
    If Anthony Bourdains life is so miserable that he had to kill himself, there really isnt much hope for the rest of us.

Pretty amazing he could perform at such a high level with all these apparent demons.
    Gratitude is an emotion that can help quench the most hope-starved mind, but it may take halucinogen-assisted therapy to cultivate it.

MY ADVENTURES WITH THE TRIP DOCTORS
    THE RESEARCHERS AND RENEGADES BRINGING PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS INTO THE MENTAL HEALTH MAINSTREAM. By Michael Pollan
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-medicine.html
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Award-winning chef, writer and television personality Anthony Bourdain has died in an apparent suicide. He was 61.

Bourdain was found dead on Friday morning in his room at a luxury hotel in the tiny village of Kaysersberg in the Alsace region of northeast France. He appeared to have hung himself.
    Is this the new way left-wing famous people kill themselves? Death by hanging?

His TV show on CNN "Parts Unknown" was a shell of his old show on the Travel Channel.

I liked his old TV show on the Travel Channel "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations".

Did this have anything do with his girlfriend getting repeatedly violated by Harvey Weinstein?

To be honest, Anthony Bourdain looked old more than 13 years ago.

R.I.P.

April 2018

March 2005

Load Metric
    It probably didnt help, having a girlfriend who was speaking out publicly, about being sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein.

Comments

El Gallo: Ugh

Not sure why the "ugh". If my GF had that done to her, I'd feel terrible. I'd possibly be thinking about it often, and also every time Weinsteins name was brought up. Come on, G. No bashing the Ginger on Fridays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    (I'm) a little preoccupied in Thailand right now

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    It probably didnt help, having a girlfriend who was speaking out publicly, about being sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein.

Comments

El Gallo: Ugh

Not sure why the "ugh". If my GF had that done to her, I'd feel terrible. I'd possibly be thinking about it often, and also every time Weinsteins name was brought up. Come on, G. No bashing the Ginger on Fridays.

We’re friends again but you are still the worst...

Comments

DRK Star: <smooches>

splitthis: Soooo happy for you 2!
    We pray for understanding as we all occasionally request back door action by accident, when we tried to call an electrician. It happens, it simply happens.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    id bet basically anything that he did this to escape a very particular set of neurological issues that were coming his way.

they both did a _lot_ of drugs in their youth and people arent talking about the connection between like LBD and that.. yet... but ive seen a lot of evidence of that connection in the wild. its not a disease you want to stick around for necessarily.
    This wouldn’t be surprising either. I mean, he was always kind of a cynical guy. The truth is when you do heavy drugs for years, you simply change your brain, and you can have the greatest life in the world, but it still isn’t fun. I see this a lot with people I’ve known. I dealt with the adjustment when I quit doing a lot of coke. There’s a period of time where life loses its flavor. I got out young enough where my brain readjusted, thankfully. It’s possible despite all the appearances, shit wasn’t fun anymore for him. Oh well, he had a great run.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

This wouldn’t be surprising either. I mean, he was always kind of a cynical guy. The truth is when you do heavy drugs for years, you simply change your brain, and you can have the greatest life in the world, but it still isn’t fun. I see this a lot with people I’ve known. I dealt with the adjustment when I quit doing a lot of coke. There’s a period of time where life loses its flavor. I got out young enough where my brain readjusted, thankfully. It’s possible despite all the appearances, shit wasn’t fun anymore for him. Oh well, he had a great run.

above and beyond the described, there are issues like LBD and other forms of dementia that seem to be running rampant through the generation that was doing a _lot_ of coke in the late 70s/early 80s.

make of that what you will.

Comments

BCR: Read that as a LSD typo. Wasn’t aware there was any correlation with that

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Libtards are very weak minded ... no surprise

#cowardsgonnacoward

Comments

Sheesfaced: Fuck off already

gimmick: many many luls

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Draymond View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Killed himself at age 61 in a hotel room.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

This is the second well known US person to kill themselves recently. Fashion designer Kate Spade hung herself last week.
    He was a Trump hater.
    A super Trump hater, so just like Trump said we would get sick of the winning ... many many luls

Comments

RichardBrodiesCombover.: Fag gonna fag

Load Metric
    I don't usually think suicide is sad. Especially a 61 year old's suicide who lived a better life than any of us will ever imagine (or maybe not?). But this was the first celeb death that shocked me in a long time for some reason. I read his book which was very good, and watched most of his tv shows, probably. He seemed like a cool as fuck dude, kinda guy I'd love to drink with. I didn't always agree with his politics, but politics are for faggots anyway. RIP

Comments

HoodedN: +1

Load Metric
    Death comes in threes. Maybe next, it will be one of the Full Tilt Pros, so overcome with guilt, they could not live with the shame anymore. Odds of happening: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000 to 1.

Load Metric
    I wonder if eating/drinking all that weird shit over the years (who knows what chems are in the "parts unknown" that he's shown all to happy to chow down) along with or without the drug use could lead to a different brain makeup than most people have. I mean the typical American diet ain't exactly healthy, but this guys has eaten some weird stuff:

such as: "Testicles Of All Kinds" In a Moroccan dessert, it was roasted sheep's testicles. On Piers Morgan live, it was turkey testicles. Bourdain has never met a ball (the kind that are on a plate, that is) he wouldn't brave.

ALSO:

"Cobra Heart" In parts of Vietnam, cobra heart is sliced out of a live snake and eaten while still beating. Bourdain compared the experience to eating a “very athletic, aggressive oyster”.

Enough to make me not brave going off the typical North American palate too much...
    Last edited by Forum Wars; 06-08-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

Sanlmar is going to be devastated.
    ”I feel kind of like a freak and I feel very isolated. I communicate for a living but I'm terrible at communicating with people I care about."

- Anthony Bourdain

The man was a poet. He was endlessly speaking in metaphors and similes when talking about food or the restaurant industry.

His stock and trade was the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, using them to make a description more emphatic or vivid. There is a link in Druff’s CNN article to an essay Bourdain wrote in 1999 which I had not read before. There he is likening kitchens and criminal culture. Beautiful. Breathtaking.

Don’€™t Eat Before Reading This
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...e-reading-this

To make these comparisons and write this way he had to be removed. He had to speak from a distance. He saw the absurdity, irony and randomness of life. He was isolated. He saw himself as different. It was this gift that allowed his art.

I worked as a waiter as a kid. The restaurant was somewhat upscale. I did some light table side service. I’d finish the steak au poivre in front of the guests. Flaming drinks. I’d put on an act that I thought would suit my read of the customer. I was fascinated by the kitchen and the people. It was a gang and they knew I wasn’t one of their kind but they allowed me into their periphery and degeneracy.

The only reason I got that job with zero experience was the restaurant manager was gay and I was later told he had a crush on me. I played him too I suppose. I wasn’t like anyone in the building it turns out. This fellow drove a ‘71 Cadillac Eldorado convertible which tells you all you need to know.

Bourdain spoke of being terrible communicating with anyone I care about. Oh dear god, this is me.

I am in the health and fitness industry. Someone pulled me aside yesterday. They told me that members and employees have spotted me exiting a liquor store during the day. I go on jags of smoking. Never had a bad cigarette. People would like to think I am a closet alcoholic I presume. I am just buying a pack of fags. Health & fitness... just putting on an act like the kid waiter. I am not one of them, not really. Not sure how I’m going to spin out of this. Being guarded and isolated needs to be conducted with greater care.

Does being isolated and viewing life from a distance lead to depression? Bourdain lost his edge. Maybe that came with age. Edge takes energy and enthusiasm. Shame.

I gotta take this opportunity to plug Bourdain’s Jeremiah Tower: The Last Magnificent. Story of an isolated artist told by an isolated artist. It WAS magnificent.

Finally, I am touched Kilgore that you thought to include me here. You too possess the same sensibility as Bourdain in your own way. The Vonnegut and your own irony and artistry found here. I am flattered to be mentioned.

I am unaffected by almost all celebrity deaths but this one hits me hard.

Comments

Kilgore Trout: xoxox

Gordman:

sah_24: Luls, big surprise you like this coward ...

Sheesfaced:

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Ugh, this really bothers me.

I really enjoyed watching his shows...probably seen most of them twice. I guess it was kind of my way of traveling without leaving the room.

I could just sense there was "something" there while watching him... some deep inner battles or whatever you want to call it were just waiting to explode.

RIP

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Does being isolated and viewing life from a distance lead to depression? Bourdain lost his edge. Maybe that came with age. Edge takes energy and enthusiasm. Shame.
    the greatest enemy of genius is success.

not saying that was a factor here, but just saying.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

Sanlmar is going to be devastated.
    ”I feel kind of like a freak and I feel very isolated. I communicate for a living but I'm terrible at communicating with people I care about."

- Anthony Bourdain

The man was a poet. He was endlessly speaking in metaphors and similes when talking about food or the restaurant industry.

His stock and trade was the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, using them to make a description more emphatic or vivid. There is a link in Druff’s CNN article to an essay Bourdain wrote in 1999 which I had not read before. There he is likening kitchens and criminal culture. Beautiful. Breathtaking.

Don’€™t Eat Before Reading This
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...e-reading-this

To make these comparisons and write this way he had to be removed. He had to speak from a distance. He saw the absurdity, irony and randomness of life. He was isolated. He saw himself as different. It was this gift that allowed his art.

I worked as a waiter as a kid. The restaurant was somewhat upscale. I did some light table side service. I’d finish the steak au poivre in front of the guests. Flaming drinks. I’d put on an act that I thought would suit my read of the customer. I was fascinated by the kitchen and the people. It was a gang and they knew I wasn’t one of their kind but they allowed me into their periphery and degeneracy.

The only reason I got that job with zero experience was the restaurant manager was gay and I was later told he had a crush on me. I played him too I suppose. I wasn’t like anyone in the building it turns out. This fellow drove a ‘71 Cadillac Eldorado convertible which tells you all you need to know.

Bourdain spoke of being terrible communicating with anyone I care about. Oh dear god, this is me.

I am in the health and fitness industry. Someone pulled me aside yesterday. They told me that members and employees have spotted me exiting a liquor store during the day. I go on jags of smoking. Never had a bad cigarette. People would like to think I am a closet alcoholic I presume. I am just buying a pack of fags. Health & fitness... just putting on an act like the kid waiter. I am not one of them, not really. Not sure how I’m going to spin out of this. Being guarded and isolated needs to be conducted with greater care.

I gotta take this opportunity to plug Bourdain’s Jeremiah Tower: The Last Magnificent. Story of an isolated artist told by an isolated artist. It WAS magnificent.

Finally, I am touched Kilgore that you thought to include me here. You too possess the same sensibility as Bourdain in your own way. The Vonnegut and your own irony and artistry found here. I am flattered to be mentioned.

I am unaffected by almost all celebrity deaths but this one hits me hard.
    Name:  pukeworthy.GIF
Views: 282
Size:  706.6 KB

Comments

HoodedN: Gif game on point

Load Metric
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 6.18.31 PM.png
Views: 298
Size:  891.5 KB

yeah im not feeling any of this shit wtf.

Thread Information