Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL ruling on kneeling for national anthem

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    The God King wins...

Again.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    That's why the God King is making them stand.
    Last edited by devidee; 05-27-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    For fucks sake druff, how many faggot hongdong posts do we have to tolerate in a single thread? This place is becoming more trouble than it’s worth.
    Tellatubby is fast approaching the bottom ten

Name:  9cb862b0-44ed-4d3e-85cf-c041df60970f_zps9b580a4b.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  113.2 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Protest is as American as apple pie. Even more American, since Apple pie is European.
    You're right. Protest is very American. I agree with that.

To put it bluntly, my take is that they can do it on their own time.

Lets take away the factor that its the anthem, flag etc etc. It is, simply put: a requirement of your employer. Period.
    I could give countless , COUNTLESS examples of requirements in the workplace...no matter what line of work you are in. If your employer has set standards that you are required to maintain, then you adhere to them, or you are free to find a new job.

(Now im waiting for someone to say "but it's their constitutional right!!!")

Load Metric
    they can't admit it but the people most happy with this rule change are the players who just want this anthem stuff behind them. anything that hurts the bottom line hurts them too.

sidenote is that with sports betting going nationwide next year, the ratings will be even higher and the nfl will be making more money than ever

Load Metric
    blakes dried up 48 year old wife has boycotted sex with him

Load Metric
    honestly its for the national good

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    they can't admit it but the people most happy with this rule change are the players who just want this anthem stuff behind them. anything that hurts the bottom line hurts them too.

sidenote is that with sports betting going nationwide next year, the ratings will be even higher and the nfl will be making more money than ever
    I wonder if the leagues get that bullshit "integrity fee" they're pushing for, if they will share it with the players as sports revenue under the CBAs. That will be a hell of a fight.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric

I wonder if the leagues get that bullshit "integrity fee" they're pushing for, if they will share it with the players as sports revenue under the CBAs. That will be a hell of a fight.
    Let's be even a little bit realist here, and by "leagues" you mean the NBA & MLB, because they are the only ones who mentioned it ever, in any sort of way. There is not a chance in hell any league gets any "integrity fee" from gambling. Not a bit. 0.0%. They will all have betting kiosks in their stadiums when the gambling laws pass, because the William Hills of the world will pay them to put them there.

Gambling integrity fees. LOL.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    As I'm sure you have all heard, earlier this week the NFL ruled that players cannot kneel, sit, or otherwise show disrespect during the national anthem: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-anthem-policy

I'm 100% behind this decision, and it boggles my mind how any rational human being can think otherwise.

This is NOT about freedom of speech or freedom to protest.

This is about an employer's right to prevent political protest at the workplace which would damage their business.

the NFL loses that right when they politicize the game by adding military displays and requiring the national anthem at their games.

It is clear that most of the dedicated NFL fan base does NOT like the anthem kneeling, and wants to see it stop. Therefore, the NFL does not want to see the kneeling continue, as it will hurt their brand and profitability.

sweeping generalisation with no proof or real evidence.

An employer ALWAYS has the right to dictate that employees refrain from controversial or off-putting behavior while at work. It is never your right to use your workplace as a platform for political protest.

except when there's a union, so no.

These football players are receiving millions of dollars to work for NFL teams, and in fact only have their high-visibility platform (TV coverage) thanks to the NFL. Therefore, the NFL has every right to set down rules regarding their behavior.

again, union

If the players were protesting the anthem on their own time, this would be more complicated. However, it is totally absurd that people think that employees should just be able to decide for themselves if they want to disrupt the workplace with political protests, and expect their to be no consequences if they continue when asked not to.

so since Vick was killing dogs on his own time, the NFL had no right to punish him?

These players have no right to decide that they can hurt the NFL brand because they feel like it.

This is not about "forced patriotism", either. The players ARE allowed to stay in the locker room during the anthem if they choose. Seems like a good enough concession to me. Now nobody is forced to be part of the anthem ceremony, but they also can't disrupt it.

Comments

hongkonger: All of this

Kuntmissioner: So succinct, well put

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    That's why the God King is making them stand.
    He can't make them do jack
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    As I'm sure you have all heard, earlier this week the NFL ruled that players cannot kneel, sit, or otherwise show disrespect during the national anthem: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-anthem-policy

I'm 100% behind this decision, and it boggles my mind how any rational human being can think otherwise.

This is NOT about freedom of speech or freedom to protest.

This is about an employer's right to prevent political protest at the workplace which would damage their business.

the NFL loses that right when they politicize the game by adding military displays and requiring the national anthem at their games.

It is clear that most of the dedicated NFL fan base does NOT like the anthem kneeling, and wants to see it stop. Therefore, the NFL does not want to see the kneeling continue, as it will hurt their brand and profitability.

sweeping generalisation with no proof or real evidence.

An employer ALWAYS has the right to dictate that employees refrain from controversial or off-putting behavior while at work. It is never your right to use your workplace as a platform for political protest.

except when there's a union, so no.

These football players are receiving millions of dollars to work for NFL teams, and in fact only have their high-visibility platform (TV coverage) thanks to the NFL. Therefore, the NFL has every right to set down rules regarding their behavior.

again, union

If the players were protesting the anthem on their own time, this would be more complicated. However, it is totally absurd that people think that employees should just be able to decide for themselves if they want to disrupt the workplace with political protests, and expect their to be no consequences if they continue when asked not to.

so since Vick was killing dogs on his own time, the NFL had no right to punish him?

These players have no right to decide that they can hurt the NFL brand because they feel like it.

This is not about "forced patriotism", either. The players ARE allowed to stay in the locker room during the anthem if they choose. Seems like a good enough concession to me. Now nobody is forced to be part of the anthem ceremony, but they also can't disrupt it.
    Yup, parading the military around is also a political statement. An employer cannot force employees to make or participate in its political statements, even without a union.

I seem to recall Druff not being happy when that guy from Google was let go for expressing his opinion about the (socially) liberal orthodoxy in most Silicon Valley firms and for expressing his ideas about why there are relatively few women in tech and in corporate leadership. This is exactly the same thing.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Let's be even a little bit realist here, and by "leagues" you mean the NBA & MLB, because they are the only ones who mentioned it ever, in any sort of way. There is not a chance in hell any league gets any "integrity fee" from gambling. Not a bit. 0.0%. They will all have betting kiosks in their stadiums when the gambling laws pass, because the William Hills of the world will pay them to put them there.

I know it's LOL, they have some balls even asking for something like that. But they might get it from some states. And the NFL may ask too. Their position has always been anti-gambling and they may still push for federal regulation but don't be surprised if they stick their hands out too, especially if other leagues are able to get states to do this.
    HILLARY WON

Banned
    Load Metric

I know it's LOL, they have some balls even asking for something like that. But they might get it from some states. And the NFL may ask too. Their position has always been anti-gambling and they may still push for federal regulation but don't be surprised if they stick their hands out too, especially if other leagues are able to get states to do this.

really ?

the NFL is 'anti gambling' ?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

holy fucking shit I knew you were retarded...but I never had any idea you were THIS stupid and naive

this quote is so HOF

just wow

Comments

hongkonger: what a dumbass

Muck Ficon: Says the pizza boy who lived in his car....LOL

Hockey Guy: JFC, I get it that you don't like the guy but you must be stupid to not know that he's 100% correct on this point.

nunbeater: lol

Load Metric
    Political correctness is ruining America

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post

really ?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

holy fucking shit I knew you were retarded...but I never had any idea you were THIS stupid and naive

this quote is so HOF

just wow
    He's actually correct. The NFL is anti-gambling (look it up)

Load Metric

really ?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

this quote is so HOF

just wow
    NFL's Goddell: "We remain very much opposed to gambling on sports." https://www.legalsportsreport.com/11...ports-betting/

The Shield Stands Alone: Why does the NFL Hate Sports Gambling? https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...ports-gambling

Here's a long history of the NFL's stance against gambling: http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...ling-las-vegas

A few years ago the NFL filed suit to stop legalized gambling in Delaware: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...is-complete-bs

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ing/102634272/

In November 2012, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell testified in a legal proceeding that gambling was No. 1 on his list of threats to the integrity of pro football in the U.S. In March, he also said the league doesn’t envision changing its policies just because the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas.

“Even social gambling among co-workers can lead to discord, violence and a loss of team cohesion,” the NFL policy states.

The league’s steadfast resistance to sports gambling stems from its fear that bettors might scandalize the NFL by bribing players or coaches to fix game scores to their benefit. "
    https://sportshandle.com/gambling-la...tates-history/

Testifying before Congress about the National Football League’s interest in curbing sports betting, then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue said:

“Sports gambling threatens the character of team sports. Our games embody our very finest traditions and values. They stand for clean, healthy competition. They stand for teamwork. And they stand for success through preparation and honest effort. With legalized sports gambling, our games instead will come to represent the fast buck, the quick fix, the desire to get something for nothing. The spread of legalized sports gambling would change forever—and for the worse—what our games stand for and the way they are perceived.”
    The NFL also filed a brief with the Supreme Court trying to keep PASPA in place:

https://sportshandle.com/supreme-cou...paspa-leagues/

So, you fucking retard, you can see that the NFL has always lobbied against sports gambling. ALWAYS. They benefit from it and they are hypocrites, but their public position has always been that they oppose it.

:gtfo
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    lmao

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by spit this View Post

really ?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

this quote is so HOF

just wow
    He's actually correct. The NFL is anti-gambling (look it up)
    Thank you for not being a retard like Marty.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by spit this View Post
    lmao
    Marty, always good for a laugh at his retardation. He delivers some lulz, you've got to give him that. I wonder if he realizes we are laughing at him, not with him.
    HILLARY WON

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Not so fast.

While I share your opinion that the fee is ridiculous and should be dismissed by any state regulating sportsbetting, we're already seeing an example in West Virginia of it possibly becoming real.

West Virginia was fooled into believing that this "integrity fee" is necessary to ensure there is no fixing of games or point shaving, and they are in the process of negotiating how high that fee will be.

The industry believes that the 1% the leagues are asking for is simply an intentionally high starting point, but their actual target number is 0.25%.

It seems more likely than not at this point that West Virginia (which will be one of the first new states with legalized sportsbetting) will indeed have such a fee.

States are also willing to write this info law because the casinos will be paying the fee, and not the states themselves. So they're passing the burden onto the casinos, who will then likely pass them onto the sportsbettor.

Sad!

Thread Information