Thread: WTF? Trump can't block users on Twitter, according to federal judge

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

WTF? Trump can't block users on Twitter, according to federal judge

Figured I'd start a new thread about this because the whole thing is just weird, and isn't really a Trump discussion.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...les/ar-AAxHvaP

Some users filed suit after Trump blocked them.

First off, LOL at Trump blocking people. Is he really reading the thousands of responses to his tweets? I always pictured he was just firing out tweets and not bothering to look at the responses he gets -- in typical narcissist fashion.

But anyway, I guess some users were blocked, and they felt they had a right not to be blocked.

Amazingly, the courts ruled in favor of the users, and the ruling came down that Trump did not have the right to block anyone on Twitter, as it interfered with their first amendment rights.

I don't understand this ruling at all.

Even when blocked by Trump, these users can still tweet to everyone else.

It is true that his blocking of them sort of prevents them from READING his Twitter, but they can easily log out and read his tweets anyway (something the government pointed out).

The court ruled that Trump's blocking of these users denied their ability to communicate with him, and therefore it was an infringement upon their free speech.

Since when does everyone have a right to directly communicate with the President?!

While Trump blocking people is stupid, he should have a right to do it. Free speech violations only occur when someone is silenced from speaking out -- not when one individual (even the President) doesn't want to hear from them.

Load Metric
    It’s because it’s used as a presidential account and not a personal account. The ruling is easy to understand.

Comments

gimmick:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Perhaps it's all just a ploy hoping this helps reduce Trump tweeting as much as he does which they do not like.

It don't matter he will always have his hardcore haters and people like Anna Khait who will like every tweet he makes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    It’s because it’s used as a presidential account and not a personal account. The ruling is easy to understand.
    Yes, the theory is that it is a forum used by the president in his official capacity to communicate back and forth, and so all Americans should have access to it. Sort of like the petitions page at whitehouse.gov or something like that.

I'm not sure I agree with this ruling and I sort of doubt it will be upheld on appeal. Interesting test case.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Yes, the theory is that it is a forum used by the president in his official capacity to communicate back and forth, and so all Americans should have access to it. Sort of like the petitions page at whitehouse.gov or something like that.

I'm not sure I agree with this ruling and I sort of doubt it will be upheld on appeal. Interesting test case.
    It’s a weak theory and should be overturned in a higher court. And I say this as someone who would gladly sacrifice Trump to the Angry Volcano god.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    This is just the opinion of 1 judge out of thousands who was cherry picked to hear this. It is basically meaningless until appeal.

Thread Information