Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you people think poker variance is bad ( Try getting your heart ripped out like this )

Load Metric

If you people think poker variance is bad ( Try getting your heart ripped out like this )

So a few weeks ago I binked a big pick four and pick 3 horse racing ticket .

If you know about horse racing it is in a way like poker . There is skill involved and if you truly pay attention to ONE track and follow the horses and make trip notes and know trainer patterns and jockey patterns you can make money and a lot of it . So tonight I was waiting for Evangeline downs my main track that I do pick 4's at . They only race on Wed, Thurs, Friday, and Saturday .

The absolute must thing in a pick 4 ticket is you have to roll with a single in one leg of the sequence . This is rule written in stone for any serious pick 4 player. Also you always want to have a race in the sequence that could produce a big longshot . Not a stretch at Evangeline downs . If anybody remembers the last big ticket I hit had an 85-1 shot in the ticket .

Tonight looked promising as I had a sure fire single in the second leg . The first leg of the pick 4 was the 6th race a field of 7 runners going a mile on the dirt. This race was going to have an over bet horse that was not as strong as the money it was going to take . This spells opportunity so I go five deep in here using a viable longshot in the #1 horse Run Bayou Bird who ran evenly last time out but that was on the turf and now was making a surface switch . I had 4 others in the race one of which broke a leg during the race but in the end Run Bayou Bird closed late up the rail to nail Battle Colors the #5 at the wire . Run Bayou bird at a huge overlay goes off at 49-1

First leg in the books success Horse paid $100.40 and knocked out probably 95% of the tickets in the pool .

Leg two was up next and my whole ticket was riding on the #2 horse Vision To Win It . Appropriately named for my ticket . This horse basically would of had to lose the jockey or break a leg to lose . Going off at 2-5 it won easily and my singe was in the books . Paying $2.80 for the win

Onward to race three and the whole point of what most will find useless drivel . In race 8 there where nine runners and I'm covering 5 of them . I have 4-5-6-7-8 and this race is being run at a mile on the dirt. Race plays out the way I expected the 1 horse runs off early setting good fractions and I have 2 horses stalking 2 in mid pack and my late deep closer in the back last . They hit the turn and one of my stalkers starts to fade and the other engages the leader at the top of the stretch and my deep closer is at full speed now. Half way through the turn I noticed the #2 horse in 4th sort of sneaking along the fence and felt like Joe Piscopo in the movie wise guys when Frank the Fixer had them go bet on the Race for the Mob Boss. My #4 takes the lead at the top of the stretch and I am praying now that the #2 who I know has horse either comes off the fence altering course or gets blocked by the fading #1 on the rail . As all this is happening I am watching my #6 Deep closer just motoring down the center of the track. They get to deep stretch and the #2 finds room with his horrible jockey and weak trainer I see it and I know what's coming the #6 is still coming and fast the four is done and here is the wire and my ticket gets blown to bits .

To add insult to injury I hit the last leg .

The toughest part to swallow is I had it. To get a $100.00 horse in any pick 4 sequence just doesn't happen or present itself often enough that a miss can happen. I suppose my point to all this is I see people complain about poker run bad or sports run bad or variance. Now the $62.50 ticket doesn't amount to much in the big picture it represents less then 1% of my pick 4 bankroll . Just like in a poker hand you have to learn from mistakes made and I have tried for the past two hours to figure out how I could have played the ticket different . After much evaluation I see no viable way I could of come up with the winner of the 8th race unless I hit the all button and I very rarely do that because in the long run its negative EV to buy races . I also looked at what if I was going to add 2 more horses to the 8th race and still wouldn't have had the #2 horse .

Just like the great book the poker mindset it is very hard to put missed opportunities behind you and move forward and be a productive player.

I suppose writing this post will help me move forward to tomorrow .

As always
    Good Luck
    Gookie

Comments

Tellafriend: We have all been there

DirtyErnie: great story, tough break

rum dick: Top notch posting

Load Metric
    Too long

didnt read

Load Metric
    What % of pick 4 tickets bought actually go into the pool?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    What % of pick 4 tickets bought actually go into the pool?

Evangeline Downs has the lowest takeout or rake in poker terms. On pick 4 tickets it's 12%

88% of money wagered gets paid out .

Normal takeout is 25% on Pick 4 tickets

Comments

JohnCommode: Interesting story. Only a racino can have a 12% takeout on exotics.

Load Metric
    i add this without further commentary;

a 2nd cousin or so won 10k on some insane luckbox horse race back in the late 70s and it absolutely destroyed his entire life. like he just gave up on mortal pursuits and became the quintessential horse track loser and that was what he remained until he died pretty much.

i mean hey, do your thing. but sometimes catching an L isnt really catching an L at all.

Comments

DirtyErnie: coge

WillieMcFML: Jose Cogeseco
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

a 2nd cousin or so won 10k on some insane luckbox horse race back in the late 70s and it absolutely destroyed his entire life. like he just gave up on mortal pursuits and became the quintessential horse track loser and that was what he remained until he died pretty much.

i mean hey, do your thing. but sometimes catching an L isnt really catching an L at all.

the same thing can be said of hitting a slot jackpot.

Comments

Muck Ficon: :this

rum dick: Found Micon's account

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

the same thing can be said of hitting a slot jackpot.
    Or online poker tournament prior to Black Friday

Load Metric

It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

I have seen this happen many times . I also agree with other comments about poker tournaments doing this to people as well .

You have to find your niche in the gambling world and fully commit to it as if it was a full time job no matter what that job is. After black Friday I had to find alternate ways to make money . Pick 4's and Pick 3's have basically kept me going since. I will also agree that any normal human being trying to do this would go insane as the variance is brutal. Example: I cant watch the races live anymore . I have to wait till all my wagers are over and watch the replays in order . The reason I do this is two fold . I can control the speed and key in on my horses and it takes away the anxiety of waiting 20 minutes in between races . LOL! ridiculous in a sense but it works for me.

I spend approximately 2-3 hours after every race day at Evangeline Downs watching replays and taking notes on each individual horse in each race . I follow trainers and jockeys . There are many variables that go into a wagering decision . While in Horse racing just as in poker there is some luck factor. In the end you can overcome that with experience and by putting the time in to make sound investments .

Good Luck
    Gookie

Comments

rum dick: Are you paying your rent/mortgage doing this?

Load Metric
    I once lost a 7 team NFL parlay on the last game when the team I needed to win, & was the underdog, was up 21-0 with 10 seconds left in the first half.

That ticket would have paid out $9600+ on a $2 bet. True story.

I had no idea what "hedging" was nor could I have done a straight hedge anyway since this was on Sport Select in Canada & all the bets are parlays.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I once lost a 7 team NFL parlay on the last game when the team I needed to win, & was the underdog, was up 21-0 with 10 seconds left in the first half.

That ticket would have paid out $9600+ on a $2 bet. True story.

I had no idea what "hedging" was nor could I have done a straight hedge anyway since this was on Sport Select in Canada & all the bets are parlays.

That's horrific . Would have hedged 100% . I hedge in Horse racing sometimes if I have less then 30% of the field in a final leg and the ticket is going to pay more then 33.3% of the original wager .

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gookieheimowitz View Post

I have seen this happen many times . I also agree with other comments about poker tournaments doing this to people as well .

You have to find your niche in the gambling world and fully commit to it as if it was a full time job no matter what that job is. After black Friday I had to find alternate ways to make money . Pick 4's and Pick 3's have basically kept me going since. I will also agree that any normal human being trying to do this would go insane as the variance is brutal. Example: I cant watch the races live anymore . I have to wait till all my wagers are over and watch the replays in order . The reason I do this is two fold . I can control the speed and key in on my horses and it takes away the anxiety of waiting 20 minutes in between races . LOL! ridiculous in a sense but it works for me.

I spend approximately 2-3 hours after every race day at Evangeline Downs watching replays and taking notes on each individual horse in each race . I follow trainers and jockeys . There are many variables that go into a wagering decision . While in Horse racing just as in poker there is some luck factor. In the end you can overcome that with experience and by putting the time in to make sound investments .

Good Luck
    Gookie
    :truth

One reason the average schmuck never makes money at horse racing is because they bet every race. If you are going to the track for a day of fun, nothing wrong with that, but if your looking for income you will go dead broke. You have to pick your spots, some races are nearly impossible to handicap...i.e a maiden race where they are all first time starters. My Dad really loved the advent of Sattelite wagering because it allowed him to find profitable spots at a multitude of tracks. He might only find one or two races per card where he thought there was a profitable play. Of all the "professional handicappers" that publish their picks and analysis in newspapers everyday only one has ever shown a flat bet profit betting on every race. That was Gordon Jones. I think he may still do some live seminars in Vegas. His books are good reads if you are learning to handicap.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post

Good Luck
    Gookie
    :truth

One reason the average schmuck never makes money at horse racing is because they bet every race. If you are going to the track for a day of fun, nothing wrong with that, but if your looking for income you will go dead broke. You have to pick your spots, some races are nearly impossible to handicap...i.e a maiden race where they are all first time starters. My Dad really loved the advent of Sattelite wagering because it allowed him to find profitable spots at a multitude of tracks. He might only find one or two races per card where he thought there was a profitable play. Of all the "professional handicappers" that publish their picks and analysis in newspapers everyday only one has ever shown a flat bet profit betting on every race. That was Gordon Jones. I think he may still do some live seminars in Vegas. His books are good reads if you are learning to handicap.

Agreed : The racetrack has gotten a bad rap over many years with many instances of fixed races happening and performance enhancers given to the horses . When I ventured into this just like poker I read books from people who where successful at making a profit in the industry . Then through trial and error I landed on a few tracks that where easy enough to follow and had a general strong base of hometown trainers ( Meaning they race there year in and out and there are not many unknowns as far as trainers shipping mystery horses in to race) . Another strong variable is having a race secretary that knows how to card races and where to place them in that nights program. If you would like to witness a bad race secretary just look at Mountaineer race track on any given night they race. As a pick four wager I am looking for BIG fields forcing average joe to add more money into the pool because he is playing a ticket like 3x3x3x3 = $40.50 on a 50 cent bet . Also most people that rec play pick 4's will use the favorite in every race on there ticket , Where I am looking to beat the favorite in every race . Also a good rule is to focus on horses who's morning line is 8-1 or better because the public is less likely to put them in there ticket on future races. There are many nights where I just have no bet because of not being able to identify a single in any leg of the four race sequence . There are definite advantages to playing the races instead of poker . For me the biggest advantage is I have to put way less money at risk to win way more money in the end. The player pool will never get any stronger then it is right now . I can select where and when I place my wager sort of like bum hunting . Anyways I love talking Horses as some may be able to figure out.

Good Luck
    Gookie

Comments

DirtyErnie: jus beautiful

rum dick: WV being retarded....not surprising

Load Metric
    Gookie, could you comment on this article I saw on Bloomberg, you heard of this guy?:
    Bill Benter did the impossible: He wrote an algorithm that couldn’t lose at the track. Close to a billion dollars later, he tells his story for the first time.
    By Kit Chellel May 3, 2018, 4:00 AM CDT
    Horse racing is something like a religion in Hong Kong, whose citizens bet more than anyone else on Earth. Their cathedral is Happy Valley Racecourse, whose grassy oval track and floodlit stands are ringed at night by one of the sport’s grandest views: neon skyscrapers and neat stacks of high-rises, a constellation of illuminated windows, and beyond them, lush hills silhouetted in darkness.
    On the evening of Nov. 6, 2001, all of Hong Kong was talking about the biggest jackpot the city had ever seen: at least HK$100 million (then about $13 million) for the winner of a single bet called the Triple Trio. The wager is a little like a trifecta of trifectas; it requires players to predict the top three horses, in any order, in three different heats. More than 10 million combinations are possible. When no one picks correctly, the prize money rolls over to the next set of races. That balmy November night, the pot had gone unclaimed six times over. About a million people placed a bet—equivalent to 1 in 7 city residents.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...se-racing-code

Comments

WillieMcFML: read that a week or so ago - great read

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    Gookie, could you comment on this article I saw on Bloomberg, you heard of this guy?:
    Bill Benter did the impossible: He wrote an algorithm that couldn’t lose at the track. Close to a billion dollars later, he tells his story for the first time.
    By Kit Chellel May 3, 2018, 4:00 AM CDT
    Horse racing is something like a religion in Hong Kong, whose citizens bet more than anyone else on Earth. Their cathedral is Happy Valley Racecourse, whose grassy oval track and floodlit stands are ringed at night by one of the sport’s grandest views: neon skyscrapers and neat stacks of high-rises, a constellation of illuminated windows, and beyond them, lush hills silhouetted in darkness.
    On the evening of Nov. 6, 2001, all of Hong Kong was talking about the biggest jackpot the city had ever seen: at least HK$100 million (then about $13 million) for the winner of a single bet called the Triple Trio. The wager is a little like a trifecta of trifectas; it requires players to predict the top three horses, in any order, in three different heats. More than 10 million combinations are possible. When no one picks correctly, the prize money rolls over to the next set of races. That balmy November night, the pot had gone unclaimed six times over. About a million people placed a bet—equivalent to 1 in 7 city residents.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...se-racing-code

I read the article a few weeks ago I think . Very interesting . So the bet is a Triple Trifecta . Tracks in The USA had a bet in the 80's and 90's called the Twin Trifecta basically the bet was impossible to hit if it had two races involving big fields . This in turn would produce huge carry overs reaching six figures at some tracks . The twin trifecta required the bettor to predict the top 3 horses in order in two consecutive races . The triple trifecta as the bet in question that Bill Benter and his partner cracked is amazing . Not only hitting three trifectas in a row but the fields in Hong Kong are usually 12-16 horses deep. His system was all math based and they had over 51,000 combinations. I have no clue what there investment amount was or how much they lost fine tuning the system I think the article mentions an initial six figure loss .

I certainly would give this guy much credit for his hard work and not giving up on his system. Not sure if he still does it or not . I sort of have a feeling about this in a sense of sometimes the larger tracks in the USA have huge Pick 6 carryovers that can climb over a million dollars . Some guys will take a shot at this money with huge tickets . The problem with that theory is they risk the payout being less then what the original wager was. Tracks in the USA have countered that by introducing the Rainbow 6 or Jackpot 6 . In this wager you have to predict the winner in six consecutive races . The twist to this bet is in order to win the Jackpot you must be the only person in the world with a winning ticket . The Gulfstream park Rainbow 6 has reached enormous amounts in the multi millions before being hit.

Good Luck
    Gookie

Load Metric
    Let me get a McPick two

Bronze
    Load Metric
    If you are a daily grinder, ADW Rebate shops are where its at. Not the Twin Spires bs. I preach it for years. Evangeline Downs is not in my rotation of tracks I dabble with, but I checked my rates on that track, The Pick3.4.5 has a rebate of 17.5% on total bet. More than the takeout, amazing.

If you can handle the volume needed , it is the way to go. Im putting most of my volume in on hounds, but I do have 30% of my totals in the Australia A,B,C,D Thoroughbreds (9%-17.5%).

Love the Pari-mutual talk in here. Great stuff Gookie! Solo and Tiered Breakdowns FTW

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyErnie View Post
    If you are a daily grinder, ADW Rebate shops are where its at. Not the Twin Spires bs. I preach it for years. Evangeline Downs is not in my rotation of tracks I dabble with, but I checked my rates on that track, The Pick3.4.5 has a rebate of 17.5% on total bet. More than the takeout, amazing.

If you can handle the volume needed , it is the way to go. Im putting most of my volume in on hounds, but I do have 30% of my totals in the Australia A,B,C,D Thoroughbreds (9%-17.5%).

Love the Pari-mutual talk in here. Great stuff Gookie! Solo and Tiered Breakdowns FTW

What ADW are you using Ernie? Because I live in Arizona and Harness Racing is Illegal here a lot of shops wont allow me to sign up . Also I hold a Nevada DL and None of the USA sites would take me. I do hold a TVG account but its for Viewing only I deposited once in order to be able to use there streaming . I do my wagers the old fashioned way at the window . But in all reality my volume is not huge . 1-3 Bets per week . That's a four day race week . Averaging around $140.00 per day . Depending on a .50 cent or $1.00 wager in my pick 4's . I usually play the $1.00 version broken up into two separate tickets that way if it hits and is less then 10k total with the new tax laws I do not have to pay . Example a single one dollar ticket Paying over $5,000 is required to pay 28.5% at window . But break that up into two separate .50 centers and now you are collecting $2,500 on each ticket with zero tax liability .

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyErnie View Post

What ADW are you using Ernie? Because I live in Arizona and Harness Racing is Illegal here a lot of shops wont allow me to sign up . Also I hold a Nevada DL and None of the USA sites would take me. I do hold a TVG account but its for Viewing only I deposited once in order to be able to use there streaming . I do my wagers the old fashioned way at the window . But in all reality my volume is not huge . 1-3 Bets per week . That's a four day race week . Averaging around $140.00 per day . Depending on a .50 cent or $1.00 wager in my pick 4's . I usually play the $1.00 version broken up into two separate tickets that way if it hits and is less then 10k total with the new tax laws I do not have to pay . Example a single one dollar ticket Paying over $5,000 is required to pay 28.5% at window . But break that up into two separate .50 centers and now you are collecting $2,500 on each ticket with zero tax liability .
    If you're going to the window everyday just pick up a stack of losing tickets from the ground, deduct those losses against any declared winnings you have. Used to see guys at the OTB do it everyday. Or there were always some "track bums" that would cash a large ticket for you under their social for $50.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post

If you're going to the window everyday just pick up a stack of losing tickets from the ground, deduct those losses against any declared winnings you have. Used to see guys at the OTB do it everyday. Or there were always some "track bums" that would cash a large ticket for you under their social for $50.

I have a signer that does this for me. But really who wants to give 28.5% away plus a signage fee? Suddenly 10k turns into 6.5k

Thread Information