Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Oh Shit, Another Mass Shooting Containment Thread (May 2018 Texas school shooting)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    London has seen a 44% increase in murder, a 18% increase in rape, a 21% increase in knife crime offenses and a 23% increase in shootings year-over-year.

London has some of the strictest guns laws on the planet.
    Mumbles himself posted a stat that the UK has a far higher ratio of occupied-home-invasion robberies versus empty-home-burglaries, compared to the US.

So basically it shows that burglars in the US are largely scared of running into a gun if they break into a house, so they try to avoid the issue by breaking in when nobody's home. In the UK, there isn't such fear, so robbers are brazen enough to break right in with occupants there.

Nobody wants their house broken into, but if you're unarmed, you sure as hell would prefer it to happen when you're gone as opposed to home and in physical danger.

That stat by itself shows that homeowner gun ownership protects everyone -- even those who don't own guns -- because criminals don't know which homes have guns and which don't.

Regarding the schools, I think they need a version of "see something, say something", so the kids most likely to commit such shootings can be examined more closely, and the parents warned if necessary. That won't stop these entirely, but I think in many cases if someone just warned the parents that there was a suspicion of trouble coming, and to make sure guns were all inaccessible, that might prevent some of these.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    London has seen a 44% increase in murder, a 18% increase in rape, a 21% increase in knife crime offenses and a 23% increase in shootings year-over-year.

London has some of the strictest guns laws on the planet.
    Mumbles himself posted a stat that the UK has a far higher ratio of occupied-home-invasion robberies versus empty-home-burglaries, compared to the US.

So basically it shows that burglars in the US are largely scared of running into a gun if they break into a house, so they try to avoid the issue by breaking in when nobody's home. In the UK, there isn't such fear, so robbers are brazen enough to break right in with occupants there.

Nobody wants their house broken into, but if you're unarmed, you sure as hell would prefer it to happen when you're gone as opposed to home and in physical danger.

That stat by itself shows that homeowner gun ownership protects everyone -- even those who don't own guns -- because criminals don't know which homes have guns and which don't.

Regarding the schools, I think they need a version of "see something, say something", so the kids most likely to commit such shootings can be examined more closely, and the parents warned if necessary. That won't stop these entirely, but I think in many cases if someone just warned the parents that there was a suspicion of trouble coming, and to make sure guns were all inaccessible, that might prevent some of these.
    I would be careful grabbing some stats someone else read somewhere on the internet and then running with it and drawing so many conclusions. I would be especially wary and want to do some vetting of my own if I was using stats provided by Mumbles.

For example, another possible interpretation of that statistic (assuming it is even real) is that UK has a significantly lower % of households where noone is home during the day than the US does. We also need to take into account the demographics where the home invasions are occurring. Maybe in the UK they are disproportionately occurring in immigrant slums and don't really represent what is going on in most of the UK.

As far as deterring burglaries, I have 3 loud chihuahuas, and I think this makes it extremely less likely someone is going to break into my house, despite the fact you can hear by the high pitched barks they are all "1 kick dogs".
    Last edited by ErickAA; 05-21-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Load Metric
    Wyoming: 53.8% of people own Firearms
    Gun Homicide rate: 1.7 per 100k

DC: 25.9% of people own firearms
    Gun Homicide rate: 18.0 per 100k
    Thanks for making my point for me.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    If they ban automatic weapons, then who's going to defend 9-year-old kids and their god given right to kill people with a UZI?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-uzi/14966759/

The girl's father was the first to fire the weapon, a mini Uzi 9mm, and then the girl took her turn. With the girl's mother recording, Vacca showed the 9-year-old how to stand and shoot the gun, allowing her to fire a few rounds.

At this point Vacca switched the gun into its automatic setting, according to a deputy who would later view the mother's video.

"(The father) said all of a sudden he heard a lot of rounds fire and saw (his daughter) drop the gun to the ground," the report states.

Range instructor Ross Miller witnessed the incident, and told deputies that he saw the girl start to shoot the weapon, and the recoil sent it straight up into the air and "crossed the path where Charles had his head," the report stated.
    WHOOPS!!!

What a sick country.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

I would be careful grabbing some stats someone else read somewhere on the internet and then running with it and drawing so many conclusions. I would be especially wary and want to do some vetting of my own if I was using stats provided by Mumbles.

For example, another possible interpretation of that statistic (assuming it is even real) is that UK has a significantly lower % of households where noone is home during the day than the US does. We also need to take into account the demographics where the home invasions are occurring. Maybe in the UK they are disproportionately occurring in immigrant slums and don't really represent what is going on in most of the UK.

As far as deterring burglaries, I have 3 loud chihuahuas, and I think this makes it extremely less likely someone is going to break into my house, despite the fact you can hear by the high pitched barks they are all "1 kick dogs".
    It’s encouraging that Druff paid attention to the results of that research into home invasion rates and personal gun ownership laws, which I recalled from reading about back in the late 1990s. Because his appreciation for those scientific results might help to appreciate the ones discussed in this latest summary reseaech aeticel on the subject of gun ownership and personal safety.

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows
    More firearms do not keep people safe, hard numbers show. Why do so many Americans believe the opposite?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...vidence-shows/

Not good results for free-ranging gun lovers.

That being said, I still think that we need civil liability accountability for who *distributes* guns and ammo to folks who then use them a crime. That way, good guys like Druff would be able to continue to own/buy a personal firearm for safety (because gun sellers would correctly assess him as a low-risk customer, but gun nuts like the father of this school shooter would most likely be shut out from buying them given his risk profile.

#TimeToRegulateTheMilitia
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 05-21-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    It seems in a lot of the bad school shootings with high powered rifles the suspects had been trained to shoot, normally by their parents. I am not a lib or a gun control nut by any stretch, but I think a kid's parents should be civilly and probably criminally liable if they commit murder using skills with rifles their parents provided them.

Also, if you are a parent and your kid is a loner with obvious issues maybe you shouldn't be training them how to commit mass murder. I know for sure that if my kid is a loner who wears a trench coat to school everyday or a loner who sits at home and plays video games all day (Sandy Hook kid) the last thing I am doing is training them how to shoot high powered rifles.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Recognizing that lack of related accountability is the issue rep

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Even though I don't agree with the Democratic agenda on a lot of issues at the state and national level, and don't give a shit about any of the drama with Stormy or any other attacks on Trump at the personal level, at this point I probably am going to vote Democrat solely on the issues of environment and gun safety. I accept that both sides are completely compromised and sold out to special interests, but I think the Republicans denying of science with the environment especially is too much to ignore, and this bullshit where they let the NRA completely block sensible gun safety legislation is also too much to ignore.

Load Metric
    Actually accurate video for once

Load Metric
    lol @ using London as some form of counter argument for rejecting gun control. Get to fuck.

Firstly, London is not a country, it's a city going through standard variance in violent crime.

And the murder and violent crime rate in London and the UK as a whole is still a TINY FRACTION of what's happening in the US.

So if you're looking for comparisons, then starting looking towards Central & South America, because that's who you are jousting with when it comes to comparing murder rates.

I mean how can you possibly look at the stat below then start pointing the finger elsewhere?

Stop diverting and get your house in order, you crazy gun-toting fat cunts.

Comments

hongkonger: This man knows

MumblesBadly: The conservotards and their NRA buddies love to misrepresent facts to push their money-grubbing agenda.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    lol @ using London as some form of counter argument for rejecting gun control. Get to fuck.

Firstly, London is not a country, it's a city going through standard variance in violent crime.

And the murder and violent crime rate in London and the UK as a whole is still a TINY FRACTION of what's happening in the US.

So if you're looking for comparisons, then starting looking towards Central & South America, because that's who you are jousting with when it comes to comparing murder rates.

I mean how can you possibly look at the stat below then start pointing the finger elsewhere?

See, we kick ass at whatever we do. Let us know next time you need us to lend your inbred asses a hand and maybe we will help you out again.

Load Metric
    Active shooter in Panama City, FL (Basically Alabama - and even more redneck)

http://www.wjhg.com/content/news/Pan...483354721.html

Police say avoid the area of the 2300 block of Beck Avenue until further notice.

Multiple agencies are responding to the situation, including the Walton County Sheriff's Office and Sheriff Michael Adkinson.

Witnesses tell us they've heard more than 50 gunshots in the area.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Wyoming: 53.8% of people own Firearms
    Gun Homicide rate: 1.7 per 100k

DC: 25.9% of people own firearms
    Gun Homicide rate: 18.0 per 100k
    Thanks for making my point for me.
    Name:  1527018267908.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  74.4 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Active shooter in Panama City, FL (Basically Alabama - and even more redneck)

http://www.wjhg.com/content/news/Pan...483354721.html

Police say avoid the area of the 2300 block of Beck Avenue until further notice.

Multiple agencies are responding to the situation, including the Walton County Sheriff's Office and Sheriff Michael Adkinson.

Witnesses tell us they've heard more than 50 gunshots in the area.
    Name:  9B43DD29-6C3F-4FDF-8E3A-CF0E17D92EDC.jpeg
Views: 347
Size:  132.8 KB

Comments

BetCheckBet:
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Its interesting you bring this up, because there is a lot of truth there. But I think your analysis of the ultimate cause is incorrect. It isn't guns. It is wealth inequality. The reason our murder rates are looking like Central American shitholes is because our wealth inequality is creeping into this area. Violence is a symptom, not a cause of the ultimate problem.

Similarly, if you look at our big cities we are starting to look a lot like Central America/Mexico, with wealthy elites in gated communities in the hills surrounded by poor ghettos. I know this describes Los Angeles and San Francisco pretty damn well. So basically we are turning into Mexico where society is segregated into privileged elites controlling most of the resources and all the poors at the bottom fighting over the scraps, and fighting eachother over "identities" manufactured by the elites, mainly race.

Load Metric

Its interesting you bring this up, because there is a lot of truth there. But I think your analysis of the ultimate cause is incorrect. It isn't guns. It is wealth inequality. The reason our murder rates are looking like Central American shitholes is because our wealth inequality is creeping into this area. Violence is a symptom, not a cause of the ultimate problem.

Similarly, if you look at our big cities we are starting to look a lot like Central America/Mexico, with wealthy elites in gated communities in the hills surrounded by poor ghettos. I know this describes Los Angeles and San Francisco pretty damn well. So basically we are turning into Mexico where society is segregated into privileged elites controlling most of the resources and all the poors at the bottom fighting over the scraps, and fighting eachother over "identities" manufactured by the elites, mainly race.

There's wealth inequality in practically every developed nation/city in the world, and if all those places shared the same gun laws as America then I'm sure we'd see similar bloodshed right across Europe. But thankfully we don't make guns easily accessible so we don't have the same levels of murder rates.

Also, most school shootings, and mass shootings in general are carried out by people who are not from the ghettos.

Reasonable gun control will reduce the amount of upstanding citizens who are needlessly slaughtered on a daily basis. There's no doubt about it.

Comments

hongkonger: This
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric

You're right but it doesn't explain why the US is such an outlier.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric

Bro no disrespect but the only thing we want to no from you is who you are taking on the NBA game tonight.

TIA

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBrodiesCombover. View Post
    I'm googling this and not finding any stories about him being gay/bi.

Yet that "bi pride" pin he had on his hat seems to make it likely.

Why is that angle not being looked at, especially since he went to church and may have felt shame for his homosexuality?

I think VaughnP is onto something.
    He was also rejected by his HS crush days before the shooting. Honestly, it seems like another beta white Male angry at his social standings.
    This is another bullshit narrative that people are running with without even looking into it.

Name:  20577E1E-F1DF-44FE-9628-8006F2A0469E.png
Views: 296
Size:  153.6 KB

https://news.vice.com/amp/en_us/arti...mpression=true

Load Metric
    Name:  7EF7D137-F68F-4BAB-A417-FF711B2A29E4.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  169.1 KB

Thread Information