Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Shit, Another Mass Shooting Containment Thread (May 2018 Texas school shooting)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    FPS,

Whatever you think about Israel you are a complete cuck and a fool if you think that was a peaceful protest. That was a military operation by Hamas using the Gaza citizens as human shields so they could try to get close enough to do whatever they were trying to do, which was probably trying to capture a soldier. They gambled that Israel would be foolishly compassionate and not fire on the human shields and let them get too close, and they were wrong.

We move on.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    Total number shot and killed at schools nationwide in 2018 is 29.

Total number shot and killed in Chicago in 2018 is 154.

Total number of students nationwide K through 12 is 51 million.

Population of Chicago is 2.7 million.

Maff LULZ
    What does the location matter? Almost 100% of these deaths were preventable, with gun control.
    HILLARY WON

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

Maff LULZ
    What does the location matter? Almost 100% of these deaths were preventable, with gun control.
    I think the point is we may be over-inflating the problem by not taking into account factors such as:

a) how big the population of the US is
    b). School shooting deaths vs total homicides
    c). School shooting deaths vs other reasons for mortality among teenagers

If you compared the US to the total EU the US would have more school shooting deaths per capita, but it wouldn't be a complete landslide. Also, given the number of guns in the US the deaths/gun might actually be lower.

I am not saying you aren't right. But I am just saying the problem might be over-inflated and if you were going to look at it from a cost-utility perspective there is probably a lot of other problems we should be tackling first if our goal is to effectively and efficiently decrease the amount of misery/death in our country, for example opiod addiction.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I definitely think gun control is a real issue that should be addressed, but I also think the media is way over-inflating and sensationalizing the issue for political purposes.

Load Metric

Maff LULZ
    Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country.
    Last edited by devidee; 05-20-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Lol the lieutenant governor of Texas says the schools have too many entrances and exits. Possibly suggesting that with one entrance it would be easier to stop threats from entering.

No gun problem just a door problem.
    these are the retards we have to deal with in this country.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

I think the point is we may be over-inflating the problem by not taking into account factors such as:

If you compared the US to the total EU the US would have more school shooting deaths per capita, but it wouldn't be a complete landslide. Also, given the number of guns in the US the deaths/gun might actually be lower.

I am not saying you aren't right. But I am just saying the problem might be over-inflated and if you were going to look at it from a cost-utility perspective there is probably a lot of other problems we should be tackling first if our goal is to effectively and efficiently decrease the amount of misery/death in our country, for example opiod addiction.

The government tackling opioid addiction has been a disaster, and actually a lot like the gun issue, where the genie was long out of the bottle before they got involved, and their involvement has been counter-productive.

The spike in opioid deaths correlated perfectly with the government crack down on the pain clinics. Clearly, and logically, the answer would have been to come in and discourage them from writing new prescriptions unless other options had been exhausted. But they already had a huge populace with a dependence, much like we already have 300 million guns, and those people aren’t quitting, so cutting off people who had scripts for a decade lead to the natural progression to heroin and death. Now we’re at the point you can’t find a pill, but you know 20 people who deal heroin. It’s insanity. I could get heroin delivered to me quicker than a pizza right this moment, but if I have a friend with an issue who has fought off that progression, I have to spend 8 hours making calls to find someone who has a handful. And the natural market forces of supply and demand have made it so cost-prohibitive that someone with a legitimate pain issue and dependence who has been cut off by government regulation eventually can’t afford the medication, they make the slide, and die.

The problem is much like the mad mothers and alcohol. People who have lost someone to addiction are incredibly vocal and motivated to call for action out of pain at their loss. Politicians hear them, know it’s a great issue for them, but tackle it in an entirely retarded manner which causes more problems and pain than they’ll ever solve, and we end up with Vietnam era death tolls annually.

Guns are similar in that I don’t see any easy answers short of offering $5k for every available gun to be turned in. It would bankrupt us, but that’s the only way the lower rung of criminals and people who cause the vast majority of deaths would ever turn a gun in.
    Last edited by BCR; 05-20-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

The government tackling opioid addiction has been a disaster, and actually a lot like the gun issue, where the genie was long out of the bottle before they got involved, and their involvement has been counter-productive.

The spike in opioid deaths correlated perfectly with the government crack down on the pain clinics. Clearly, and logically, the answer would have been to come in and discourage them from writing new prescriptions unless other options had been exhausted. But they already had a huge populace with a dependence, much like we already have 300 million guns, and those people aren’t quitting, so cutting off people who had scripts for a decade lead to the natural progression to heroin and death. Now we’re at the point you can’t find a pill, but you know 20 people who deal heroin. It’s insanity. I could get heroin delivered to me quicker than a pizza right this moment, but if I have a friend with an issue who has fought off that progression, I have to spend 8 hours making calls to find someone who has a handful. And the natural market forces of supply and demand have made it so cost-prohibitive that someone with a legitimate pain issue and dependence who has been cut off by government regulation eventually can’t afford the medication, they make the slide, and die.

The problem is much like the mad mothers and alcohol. People who have lost someone to addiction are incredibly vocal and motivated to call for action out of pain at their loss. Politicians hear them, know it’s a great issue for them, but tackle it in an entirely retarded manner which causes more problems and pain than they’ll ever solve, and we end up with Vietnam era death tolls annually.

Guns are similar in that I don’t see any easy answers short of offering $5k for every available gun to be turned in. It would bankrupt us, but that’s the only way the lower rung of criminals and people who cause the vast majority of deaths would ever turn a gun in.
    Offering such an overvalued carrot would surely result in reducing the number of guns out there, but what about using a very powerful economic stick for providing shooters with the weapons and/or ammo that are ised to commit crimes?

For example, the cancer-proliferating asbestos industry was reined in quite effectively in part by the advent of civil liability related to asbestos exposure. Congress and states could apply a similar mechanism to the gun industry by making those who distribute guns and ammo partially civilly liable for the damages caused by gun-wielding perps. And extend that liability to private sellers *and* back to the original manufacturers. The gun industry would then be motivated to “well regulate” who buys their products with the goal of weeding out potential customers who are more likely to crimes with those guns and/or ammo.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 05-20-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    96% of the deadliest school shootings were committed by boys from fatherless homes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Offering such an overvalued carrot would surely result in reducing the number of guns out there, but what about using a very powerful economic stick for providing shooters with the weapons and/or ammo that are ised to commit crimes?

For example, the cancer-proliferating asbestos industry was reined in quite effectively in part by the advent of civil liability related to asbestos exposure. Congress and states could apply a similar mechanism to the gun industry by making those who distribute guns and ammo partially civilly liable for the damages caused by gun-wielding perps. And extend that liability to private sellers *and* back to the original manufacturers. The gun industry would then be motivated to “well regulate” who buys their products with the goal of weeding out potential customers who are more likely to crimes with those guns and/or ammo.

I don’t know what’s legally possible given gun ownership is constitutional. I know it would be a huge legislative hurdle, and even if passed, might put a dent in these school shootings, but I don’t imagine it puts a dent into the much larger murder issue. I would be curious how many murderers obtained the gun by purchasing it themself, legally. My gut says it’s certainly a small minority. I don’t imagine all the street violence, which constitutes the majority of murders, is committed by some 19 year old drug runner who walked in and filled out the appropriate paperwork. And you couldn’t hold people liable, I don’t imagine, for doing shit that was perfectly legal when they did it. Only moving forward. So it seems that resolution might provide serious help that actually moves the needle in about 200 years.

Load Metric
    London has seen a 44% increase in murder, a 18% increase in rape, a 21% increase in knife crime offenses and a 23% increase in shootings year-over-year.

London has some of the strictest guns laws on the planet.

Load Metric
    96% of the deadliest school shootings were committed by boys from fatherless homes.
    Which is the inertia behind most of our social problems. But it’s too late to put that horse back in the barn.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Which is the inertia behind most of our social problems. But it’s too late to put that horse back in the barn.
    In the ethno-state all children will have fathers.

Young Morton's will still abandon their children, ethno-state or not.

Load Metric
    Which is the inertia behind most of our social problems. But it’s too late to close the barn door on that matter.
    FYP
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBrodiesCombover. View Post

If I had a son like young morton id abandon him too

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBrodiesCombover. View Post

If I had a son like young morton id abandon him too
    Marty should have been aborted
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Wyoming: 53.8% of people own Firearms
    Gun Homicide rate: 1.7 per 100k

DC: 25.9% of people own firearms
    Gun Homicide rate: 18.0 per 100k

Comments

MumblesBadly: It’s about population density, numbnuts!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Wyoming: 53.8% of people own Firearms
    Gun Homicide rate: 1.7 per 100k

DC: 25.9% of people own firearms
    Gun Homicide rate: 18.0 per 100k
    You are actually making a case for stricter gun laws. comparing populations like DC and Wyoming demonstrates how population size affects safety. In Wyoming your neighbor might be five miles away. In DC you have four and five families (etc. ) living in a single building.

not your intention but the stat shows how a more regulated gun market is needed---

Comments

hongkonger: This

MumblesBadly: I think you mean population *density*.

Load Metric
    If they ban automatic weapons, then who's going to defend 9-year-old kids and their god given right to kill people with a UZI?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-uzi/14966759/

The girl's father was the first to fire the weapon, a mini Uzi 9mm, and then the girl took her turn. With the girl's mother recording, Vacca showed the 9-year-old how to stand and shoot the gun, allowing her to fire a few rounds.

At this point Vacca switched the gun into its automatic setting, according to a deputy who would later view the mother's video.

"(The father) said all of a sudden he heard a lot of rounds fire and saw (his daughter) drop the gun to the ground," the report states.

Range instructor Ross Miller witnessed the incident, and told deputies that he saw the girl start to shoot the weapon, and the recoil sent it straight up into the air and "crossed the path where Charles had his head," the report stated.
    WHOOPS!!!

Comments

MumblesBadly: That idiot instructor got what he deserved for putting such a dangerous weapon into the hands of friggin 9-year old!

Thread Information