Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PFA History Report: TK the Pimp

Load Metric
    When is Justin Smith due to get out of prison?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I was actually of the belief that TK was fake, but Brandon talked me into believing he was real. He was convinced, and by then convinced me (and Micon, for that matter).

I went back and listened to the segment at the time, and I decided that it sounded realistic enough to where Brandon was probably right.

Given that we all lived in Vegas at the time, and given that a simple google search would have revealed the true identities of "Phil Delanty" and "Alvin Finklestein", I was concerned that this psycho pimp might actually track us down and do something to set an example. I knew it was a longshot, but Micon (as Delanty) got so obnoxious with him towards the end that I thought we really pissed the guy off enough to where he might want revenge.

I'm not sure why the episode was left down for a week. I know that I wanted it taken down, at least temporarily, but I don't remember why.

I do remember yelling at Micon after the show that he took it too far with Delanty fighting with "TK", and that it likely wouldn't have escalated to where it did had we just kept it more lighthearted. Interestingly enough, Micon conceded that he thought there was a decent chance TK was real when he kept mouthing off as "Delanty", but he stupidly figured there was no way to identify who he really was.

The first half of the episode was actually one of our worst NWP Radio episodes ever. It was boring and had some lame interview, and I remember the chat room repeatedly saying the entire episode was crap (and they were right). Then we struck gold with the "You want the 50 dolla back?" call, and then badguy made the TK call. So the second half actually produced the two most memorable moments of the entire show's run.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some of you probably aren't aware of the full history of NWP/DD/PFA Radio.

NWP Radio was started by Micon in 2005, as an occasional thing he did from Atlanta with Sole and Barry. The show had no schedule, nor was it prepared at all. Micon would just turn it on when his friends were over, and rant. Somehow he managed to set the whole thing up on his own, which is pretty amazing given that Micon was semi-clueless technically (at least back then).

I wasn't involved at that point. My entire involvement in early NWP Radio was calling in as a guest, and sometimes making prank calls. One of the notable early calls (I think in 2006) was to Micon's own mom, at his request. He wanted me to pretend to be from some law enforcement agency (I forget which one) and pretend Micon had been arrested for illegal gambling. His mom and stepdad bought my story, so I doubled down and started dropping hints that the whole thing could go away if they bribed me. This enraged Micon's stepdad, at which point I pretended to dial it back and kept insisting he misunderstood. I also said that we were more interested in Barry (Dirty B) who was the ringleader of the whole thing, at which point Micon's mom said that she always was suspicious of him (lol).

Micon eventually told his mom that it was all a prank. I actually felt very bad after the call, and somewhat regretted having done it, despite the call itself being very funny. Micon kept insisting that it was fine, and that his mom wouldn't mind once she was told the truth. I later told him privately that I wasn't going to prank his mom anymore.

NWP Radio ceased to exist in mid-2007 when Pokernews bought NWP and placed it on their servers. We no longer had control of any of the back end of the site, and therefore could not set up a radio platform.

In late 2007, I told Micon we needed to revive radio, and he agreed. I started putting pressure on the Lithuanians to set something up, and they finally finished it in February 2008. The new NWP Radio was planned to be a more organized and regular feature of the site, occurring weekly, and with myself and Micon as hosts. This marked the first time where I actually was a host of radio, rather than just an occasional caller.

I actually ran the first "new" NWP Radio as a test show, but sadly my computer didn't have stereo mix enabled, so the listener couldn't hear both myself and the caller at the same time, unless I manually switched it back and forth during the call. Despite this annoying technical issue, the test show got positive feedback, and everyone was excited for us to start radio regularly. Within a week or two, we did just that. By this point, Brandon was good friends with Micon, and he joined us on radio often, though his role was never well defined.

This "TK the Pimp" May 2008 show was only 3 months in to the new NWP Radio. The show quickly gained popularity in 2008, and the audience started to grow.

Pokernews decided they were done with us in late 2009, and they gave us very little notice that they were shutting down the entire forum and radio platform, basically only leaving the blog and affiliate stuff up there. On the plus side, they agreed to give us all of that content for free to do as we pleased.

Donkdown was born in late November 2009, and radio was up within a week or so.

That show was basically a direct continuation of NWP Radio, and featured myself, Micon, and Brandon as the three hosts. The show was very well-liked and seemed to get better with time. Unfortunately, Micon was starting to get bored with radio, and began an annoying habit of wanting to cut the whole thing off after about 90 minutes, usually for stupid reasons such as wanting to play digital poker or get sushi.

We had an ongoing gimmick where I always acted annoyed with Micon's lackadaisical efforts with radio. This was a little bit based in truth, but exaggerated for comedy effect. However, my annoyance with Micon's ending of the show quickly was real, and we had various arguments about it behind the scenes. Brandon was not really friends with me at the time, and was close with Micon, but actually agreed with me about the ending-radio-early thing. It also annoyed him.

On one occasion, I stated that I would continue the show myself if Micon shut it down. Micon shut it down anyway, but knowing I would immediately reconnect when it was over, he preempted my efforts by simply playing a loop of Chinese curling at the Olympics, making it impossible for me to connect to radio while he was already connected. I didn't have back-end access at the time to kill it, as that was controlled by lakingsfan (a big mistake on my part, but another story for another time).

I left Donkdown Radio at the same time I left Donkdown at the end of summer 2011. I did do a final 'Dan Druff +EV Show" essentially saying goodbye to the audience, and stating that it was very possible they wouldn't be hearing me on radio again.

Interestingly, despite Micon (and Martha) very much wanting me gone from the DD forums, they didn't feel the same way about radio. It was proposed to me many times to simply walk away from the forum and continue doing only radio. I told Micon to fuck off with that idea. The reason they wanted this was because Micon believed I was holding the forum back from greatness (lol), but that I was doing a good job on radio.

Donkdown Radio continued after I left, but it became a failshow.

Adam Schoenfeld was brought in to replace me. Micon assumed this would be a successful swap, as people had been long clamoring for Schoenfeld's return, and he figured that Adam could simply take over my "older, voice of reason" role on radio.

However, it was a disaster. It turned out that the audience only enjoyed Schoenfeld in limited doses, and they hated him as a host present for the entire program. I watched the chat room, and he was just getting destroyed, being called "arrogant", "boring", "annoying", and basically no one had a good word to say about him. After 2 episodes (I think), Schoenfeld was insulted by the negative audience feedback and quit.

Micon attempted to continue radio with Brandon as co-host, but the show was simply not very good, and I started to get a lot of messages begging me to start my own site and show. Finally in February 2012, I was coaxed out of forum/radio retirement, and announced plans to expand dandruffpoker.com from a blog to a forum and radio show, which later became PFA on a late-night whim the day before the site's launch.

Shortly after PFA started, Brandon called me, apologized for some of his actions during the end of my tenure at NWP. He proposed that we start a radio show together, citing the fact that we always had great radio chemistry. This was shortly after his falling out with Micon. I told him that I had to think about it, but that I was probably interested in taking him up on this.

The first PFA Radio was in mid-March (about 2 weeks after the site started), but there was no archiving system yet, so it wasn't recorded. The second PFA Radio was on March 21, 2012, and was recorded. However, it was still sporadic at that point and not a real show yet. The first real PFA show was on May 22, 2012, and was called "The Druff, Drexel, and Vwls" show, as FckVwls (now called just 'Vwls') also joined the cast. Vwls had a great voice despite being in her late 40s at the time, and the show was well received.

Vwls didn't last long. In September, she took a "family-related leave of absence" and never returned. This was not related to any problems at PFA, to my knowledge, and we remained on good terms.

Our second challenge came in January 2013 when the Jasep scandal occurred, which demotivated Brandon and drove him away from the show.

Brandon has been on and off radio ever since, but more recently has taken on a "second half" role, where he often calls into the show in the middle, and remains through the end.

Daredevil became a regular co-host in the second half of 2015, and was well liked to the point where his name was officially added to the show. However, very shortly after that, he left the show and site due to personal reasons (again, not related to PFA). He did return for one episode about a year later.

khalwat started to guest host the show in the later part of 2016, and eventually ascended to be the regular co-host in 2017. Around the same time, tradershky also became a regular co-host of the show. Brandon still appears frequently as a "second half" guy, as described above.

So here we are.

So the timeline is/was:

NWP Radio (sporadic, with Sole/Barry as co-hosts): 2005-2007
    NWP Radio (weekly, with Druff/Micon/Drexel): Feb 2008- Nov 2009
    DD Radio (with Druff): Nov 2009-August 2011
    DD Radio (without Druff): September 2011-??? (eventually became a bitcoin show, then vanished)
    PFA Radio: March 2012-present

So PFA Radio has been, by far, the longest running incarnation of the show.

Comments

Tellafriend: Detail reP

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthis View Post
    When is Justin Smith due to get out of prison?
    Dec 2019

Comments

SPIT this: ty

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Poor Micon's mom.....not only was she woke in the middle of the night by Druff claiming to be from the FCC on that show, but she also was ambushed with the announcement on live radio that Bryan was getting divorced and moving to Las Vegas on a subsequent NWP radio broadcast. She unfortunately passed away about a year or two ago. On the bright side, her and Micon were able to reconcile for a few years before her death and she was able to spend alot of time with her granddaughter before she died. So turns out Micon has at least one redeeming quality anyway.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tbuck27 View Post
    Poor Micon's mom.....not only was she woke in the middle of the night by Druff claiming to be from the FCC on that show, but she also was ambushed with the announcement on live radio that Bryan was getting divorced and moving to Las Vegas on a subsequent NWP radio broadcast. She unfortunately passed away about a year or two ago. On the bright side, her and Micon were able to reconcile for a few years before her death and she was able to spend alot of time with her granddaughter before she died. So turns out Micon has at least one redeeming quality anyway.
    How do you know about Micon's mom?
    HILLARY WON

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tbuck27 View Post
    How do you know about Micon's mom?

Let's just say I have Adam Schefter/Buster Olney-like sources

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    tbuck is correct on both counts.

I called as the FCC and talked about some radio violation when I called Micon's mom. It wasn't illegal gambling. Great memory.

Micon's mom did die about 2 years ago and he had reconciled with her prior to that. When Micon and I were friends, I repeatedly told him that it saddened me that he had such a bad relationship with his mom, and I told him that it seemed his grievances with her were trivial. I kept telling him to let the animosity go and become close with her again, but he kept telling me that I didn't understand. So good for him for finally doing something about that. Actually I remember shortly before we stopped being friends, he had just started to reconcile with her, but it wasn't quite there yet.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    First time hearing this one

Lol Druff was shook

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Sitting in LAX airport laughing out loud at "who can say you touch your privacy?"±

Comments

badguy23: Have a safe flight. This is when Radio was good!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by handicapme View Post

Do you have these old radios saved somewhere? I have like 40 I think but would love to have some old school stuff to relisten to when I'm working on stuff and don't wanna be bothered. Will donate to the freeroll in your honor if you have some I dont!
    Currently being reseeded.

https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...-The-Old-Shows
    Downloaded. I donated the $100 I won from tellafriend to the freeroll. Thanks buddy
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Thread Information