Thread: California Governor's Primary: 27 Candidate divided by 3 Key Issues equals 2 choices

Load Metric

California Governor's Primary: 27 Candidate divided by 3 Key Issues equals 2 choices

less than a month now to the California governor's primary

there are 27 candidates on the ballot (how did you miss out on this Druff?)

there are 3 big issues: sanctuary status, bullet train, and gun control

but really there are only 2 choice because the split over the issues runs along the party lines):

Democrats and other leftists are pro

Republicans plus other rightist are con

currently it looks like the election will result in Californians someday being able to ride a half empty high speed train from LA to SF and back while seated unarmed next to a criminal illegal alien

hurry up and die papa so i can inherit, sell the homes and flee to a Red(neck) state
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Bye Bye California.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: amen brother
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Bye Bye California.

I watched this video but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

So how are the liberal policies tied into the exorbitant housing costs? Sure I get taxes go up, how do high taxes mean expensive homes? I thought that was Cali's problem.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Bye Bye California.

So how are the liberal policies tied into the exorbitant housing costs? Sure I get taxes go up, how do high taxes mean expensive homes? I thought that was Cali's problem.
    This is a cynical way of looking at things, but the in some respect the high housing costs are the price you pay to segregate yourself from the poors. There isn't high housing costs in Compton, but there is in Santa Monica, which keeps the Compton crowd away. So basically the elites flood the country with cheap immigrant labor, which they profit immensely from, which drives up housing costs in the exclusive areas they live in.

And there is still a ton of rich people with high paying jobs or fortunes built off of investment that can afford to pay the high housing costs and do. There just isn't any middle class anymore (at least not in Los Angeles). It is rich, exclusive areas with high housing costs and ethnic ghettos with nothing in between.

We are actually in the process of undergoing our own flight and moving to Claremont, California, which is a suburb in Eastern Los Angeles county and is as close as you can come to a predominantly white middle class neighborhood anywhere in Los Angeles county anymore.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

This is a cynical way of looking at things, but the in some respect the high housing costs are the price you pay to segregate yourself from the poors. There isn't high housing costs in Compton, but there is in Santa Monica, which keeps the Compton crowd away. So basically the elites flood the country with cheap immigrant labor, which they profit immensely from, which drives up housing costs in the exclusive areas they live in.

And there is still a ton of rich people with high paying jobs or fortunes built off of investment that can afford to pay the high housing costs and do. There just isn't any middle class anymore (at least not in Los Angeles). It is rich, exclusive areas with high housing costs and ethnic ghettos with nothing in between.

We are actually in the process of undergoing our own flight and moving to Claremont, California, which is a suburb in Eastern Los Angeles county and is as close as you can come to a predominantly white middle class neighborhood anywhere in Los Angeles county anymore.
    No, housing is not "cheap" in Compton. Ugh I just looked and it is still like 50% higher in LA's ghetto than it is in my whole town. I don't care to say where I live but it has become a very fast growing tech town and something of a destination now.

I don't think my view is the "cynical" one. Housing is expensive all over California. If it is so fucked up, what is driving these costs?

This talk of "elites" and price control makes little sense to me. People like California. I like California but the prices are ridiculous. They are a problem. I just don't see how it is the fault of the government policies. If anything, it speaks to how fucking popular Cali is but I suspect a lot has to do with the beach and climate. I like LA a lot. I didn't spend much time there until last year. I would hate the housing costs.

Comments

MumblesBadly: He means the Republican “elites” who own all of the big farms and don’t support unions.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

No, housing is not "cheap" in Compton. Ugh I just looked and it is still like 50% higher in LA's ghetto than it is in my whole town. I don't care to say where I live but it has become a very fast growing tech town and something of a destination now.

I don't think my view is the "cynical" one. Housing is expensive all over California. If it is so fucked up, what is driving these costs?

This talk of "elites" and price control makes little sense to me. People like California. I like California but the prices are ridiculous. They are a problem. I just don't see how it is the fault of the government policies. If anything, it speaks to how fucking popular Cali is but I suspect a lot has to do with the beach and climate. I like LA a lot. I didn't spend much time there until last year. I would hate the housing costs.
    I mean elites in non-partisan terms. There is a lot of rich people in California. Most are ideologically Democrat, but there are Republicans too. And for the most part they all live their lives in non-partisan ways. And you are correct that the fact so many people with money want to live here is a very large component of the high housing costs. Probably even the most important factor.

But politics, especially immigration policy and tax policy, also play a part. Also, I meant I am cynical, not you.

I have lived here so long I probably have a very warped idea of what "high housing costs" even are. Where I currently live a typical 1800 square foot 3 bed 2 bath house is over $1.5M. Where I am moving it is $600K, so I feel that is cheap, but that is probably still insanely expensive.

It is funny. I live close to UCLA, and there is a giant union strike there that is in the news. It is the union that represents all the non-skilled support staff. As it should come to no surprise to anyone the strikers are about 85% Mexican first or second generation immigrants, and 15% blacks.

The strikers are supposedly striking for livable wages, among other things. If you look at their signs it is mostly just ideological emptiness, but that is a different story. What the strikers don't understand is they are the reason the wages are so low. Because they came here and were willing to live 4 families in a house and undercut the people that had the same job before them, they got the job. And guess what, there is 1000 people crossing the border every day willing to do the exact same thing to them. Which is exactly how the elites want it, so it keeps their costs down and they keep more of the $$. So good luck getting your livable wages.
    Last edited by ErickAA; 05-10-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Another interesting factor which isn't exclusive to Los Angeles is that a lot of the exclusive highest end housing is owned by wealthy foreigners who are basically buying the property for tax related reasons and to "hide' the $$ from their own govts, and is completely unloved in. They don't even bother to try to rent it out a lot of the time. If you drove through the highest end exclusive areas of Bel Air, Holmby Hills or Beverly Hills good chance no one is living in a high% of the houses at any given time.

This of course drives up real estate costs for everyone else. Down the hill (literally and figuratively) you would be shocked at the modest housing that a lot of very wealthy people live in and pay top dollar for. Adam Carola talks about this sometimes. Whatever you think of his politics or talent, he is a very successful, wealthy person who lives in a very expensive exclusive area. But he says the people that lived in his house before him were school teachers, because that house in that area was originally meant to be middle class and affordable.

Thread Information