Thread: Game Theory and Politics

Load Metric

Game Theory and Politics

It's long thought that poker players are exceptional at the subtle nuisances of Game Theory. I'd like to ask the broader audience, what do yo think. Game Theory is a cognitive gift so do poker players, or more specifically winning players have this innate ability among-st others.

This is a smart board, so I wonder what you all think about this subject.

Comments

splitthis:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    It's long thought that poker players are exceptional at the subtle nuisances of Game Theory. I'd like to ask the broader audience, what do yo think. Game Theory is a cognitive gift so do poker players, or more specifically winning players have this innate ability among-st others.

By cognitive gift do you mean being born with a math head? When it comes to numbers I guess it is something you're born with. Innate yes, intuitive no. Now I'm confused

Load Metric

I've avoided fucking with you since you came back but I have serious question: Do you really think you're a "good" poker player and if so why do your results say otherwise?

Also shut up GARRETT.
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Load Metric
    garrett you are the michael angelo of subtle nuisances.

Comments

garrett: thank you sir, appreciate the normalcy with you now..

RealTalk: ^ROFL

Belly Buster: subtle
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Most of the successful pros I’ve seen talk of implementing GTO strategy seem to say it’s counter-intuitive to how they’ve traditionally played, so my gut feeling is it’s not innate to most.

Comments

garrett: decent logic

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by handicapme View Post

I've avoided fucking with you since you came back but I have serious question: Do you really think you're a "good" poker player and if so why do your results say otherwise?

Also shut up GARRETT.
    What results are you talking about

I know im good!

Comments

splitthis:

Load Metric
    It's long thought that poker players are exceptional at the subtle nuisances of Game Theory.
    I don't believe this premise to be true. If you change nuisances to nuances, I still don't believe it to be true.

I'd like to ask the broader audience, what do yo think. Game Theory is a cognitive gift so do poker players, or more specifically winning players have this innate ability among-st others.

Game theory is far from a cognitive gift, it is an academic discipline that requires a good bit of legwork to get even halfway decent at. To call it an "innate ability" is to show complete disrespect to the subject itself and all the people who put in tremendous amounts of time and energy into the discipline, and an excuse for those who refuse to put in said time and effort but still want to have a ready-made excuse as to why they don't understand the subject.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I don't believe this premise to be true. If you change nuisances to nuances, I still don't believe it to be true.

I'd like to ask the broader audience, what do yo think. Game Theory is a cognitive gift so do poker players, or more specifically winning players have this innate ability among-st others.

Game theory is far from a cognitive gift, it is an academic discipline that requires a good bit of legwork to get even halfway decent at. To call it an "innate ability" is to show complete disrespect to the subject itself and all the people who put in tremendous amounts of time and energy into the discipline, and an excuse for those who refuse to put in said time and effort but still want to have a ready-made excuse as to why they don't understand the subject.
    Yeah but that academic discipline is no good if you do not have an innate ability with numbers, so don't put the put the slide rule before the calculator or vide versa. Disrespect indeed

Load Metric
    Shut up Garrett

:shutup should just be the Garrett suicide smock photo
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

Some people got IT, other people do not.

Much like sports...

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Literally the opposite of what I said. C'mon, man.

splitthis:

Load Metric
    Garrett, ignore the haters! But watch this Doug Polk vid to possibly refresh your understanding game theoretic play, which is math based, versus “exploitative” play, which certainly could involve intuition.

Comments

garrett: I like/respect Doug...
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Much like sports...
    Read his post dummy. This is exactly what he says isn't true,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by varys View Post

Much like sports...
    Read his post dummy. This is exactly what he says isn't true,
    what the fuck does that mean? explain yourself

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    that academic discipline line is so full of bullshit. Artists who have produced the most revered paintings of the centuries
    are not asked to explain their inspiration yet a man made artifice such as calculus is accepted as science.

Fuck off.

Load Metric
    The skill set is mostly the same for similar levels of GTO and exploitative play. So if there is some innate skill, it's applies to both.

Exploitative play feels intuitive because you get better at it when playing against weaker opponents (almost everyone). Playing GTO against weaker opponents does worse than exploitative.

For optimal exploitative play you need the same amount of work as GTO and on top of that comes the read aspects of exploitative play (pattern, timing and live tells).

For most "gifted" players after a certain level GTO does better than exploitative in real live settings. It's easier to keep up reasonable GTO for long periods of time. Fatigue and tilt are less detrimental usually.

Oh and when speaking of GTO it usually just means a rough approximation of optimal as shoddily humans are capable of applying it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I am guessing fluid intelligence (basically IQ) would have the strongest correlate to poker skill, and every other skill based game.

That being said people that are naturally aggressive, fearless and can naturally "read" others emotional states (empathy?) might have some sort of "innate" edge when it comes to tournament poker, because tournament poker specifically rewards these attributes.

Thread Information