View Poll Results: What was this girl's angle?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mike was fake. It was a ploy to get free pizza.

0 0%
  • Mike was fake. It was just a joke she & her friend played on a random guy.

1 4.76%
  • Mike was real, & from chemistry class. She used "him" for free pizza.

2 9.52%
  • Mike was real. She liked him as a friend only, and didn't want to lead "him" on.

0 0%
  • Mike was real. She was attracted to him, but I did something to fuck it up during the evening.

6 28.57%
  • Mike was real, and she discovered some time during the night that I wasn't really him.

9 42.86%
  • Mike was fake. She was attracted to me & made up that story, later changed her mind about liking me.

2 9.52%
  • Other

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YOU MAKE THE CALL -- Impersonating Another College Student in 1991 Edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

YOU MAKE THE CALL -- Impersonating Another College Student in 1991 Edition

The year was 1991. I was 19 years old.

I was in summer session in college, and it was BORING. I didn't know a single person that was around, so basically I just went back to my apartment every day and watched rented movies and called party lines. All of my college friends, and even my friendly acquaintances, were home for the summer. I was yearning for some excitement. I also hadn't touched a girl since breaking up with my last girlfriend six months earlier, so I was yearning for that, too.

I had a favorite pizza place where I usually picked up the pizza and ate it at home, but I kinda felt like I just wanted to get out that day, so I was eating pizza by myself in the restaurant.

I had only been eating for about 10 minutes when I heard a female voice behind me.

"Hi!"

I turned around and saw a really hot girl, kind of your stereotypical blond sorority type, standing behind me and looking at me. She was with a friend who was also hot, but not quite as attractive.

At first I thought that maybe these two hot chicks found themselves really attracted to me and were trying to find an excuse to talk to me.

Then I came to my senses and realized that this wasn't likely. Girls like that had to have a million guys after them, and while I did run into some girls at school who were attracted to me, I knew I wasn't good looking enough to cause girls of that caliber to just approach me out of the blue while I was eating alone.

I responded back, "Hi..... Do I know you?"

The hotter one quickly responded, "You're Mike, right? From chemistry class?"

Right then, I realized I had found my summer excitement. This chick seemed to think I was some guy from her chemistry class, and she apparently liked 'Mike' enough to approach him and interrupt him while eating alone. Did she have a crush on Mike? Was she always looking for a reason to get to know him, and finally found it in the pizza parlor? Maybe she and Mike even hooked up at some point in the past! In any case, if being 'Mike' was going to allow me to get some action with a girl who looked like that, who was I to question it?

"Yeah, I'm Mike! Oh, I remember now! Your name is.... ummm.... crap, I forget!"

"Julie," she said. "I'm surprised you don't remember." (Her name isn't really Julie, I don't remember what it was, but that's the name I'll give her for this story.)

"It's just kinda late, sorry about that," I covered.

"Well, can we sit down with you?", she asked.

"Sure, have a seat!"

Julie and her friend sat down with me. She went on about how she thought I "looked a lot like Mike" but hadn't been 100% sure I was really him, and was a little hesitant to approach me.

"No, I'm glad you did," I told her, and was looking for some signs that she was actually into Mike more than just for friendship.

Julie then asked if she and her friend could have slices of my pizza. I started to get worried. What if the joke was on me? What if this "Mike" thing was a ruse, simply so she and her friend could get some of my pizza for free? I came to my senses and figured that this was highly unlikely. I mean, how much are a few slices of pizza worth? Would two high-maintenance-looking chicks like this really go through such trouble just to score a few free slices of pizza? No, she had to really believe I was Mike.

We ate the pizza, and then she spotted some other friends of hers across the restaurant. She invited me to join the group of them at the other table. Of course, I said yes, and came along. I had to maintain this "Mike" ruse, and was hoping that none of the friends (some of whom were male, some of whom were female) knew the real Mike, as it would be highly awkward to explain the whole thing.

The friends, again, all seemed like fraternity/sorority types. None seemed particularly intelligent. The conversations that took place were vapid and shallow. I tried to keep fairly quiet, to avoid getting into discussion topics that would give me away as a phony. I was still holding out hope that Julie would invite me back to her place after all of this, and have her way with "Mike" as she had always wanted. Everyone seemed to take me at face value, and no one suspected that I was full of shit. After all, why should they have? I was just a classmate of hers, right?

Eventually everyone decided to go over to the rented house of a few of the people at the table. Julie didn't live there, but she was invited, as was the whole group. Julie asked me if I wanted to come along, and I told her that I did. I knew that nothing was likely to happen between me and her when we were over there as a group, but I figured that maybe it would lead to something more later. I also felt this was a good sign, as she could have easily used everyone's plans to leave as a legitimate excuse to ditch "Mike" at the pizza place, if she hadn't been into him/me.

We got to the house, and nothing interesting happened. We all kinda sat around and talked. Again, I didn't come off as interesting, but I also didn't say anything weird or awkward, nor did I give myself away as a liar, nor did I make any unwanted advances toward Julie.

About 90 minutes into it, the people who lived at the house said they wanted to go to sleep, and the rest of us had to leave. Julie told me that she was going home, and that it was "cool hanging out with you tonight", or something to that effect. I took this as an opportunity to ask for her phone number. She gave it to me. I heard her friend and one of the other guys mention that they wanted to go back and drink beer at the pizza place, and the two of them left to do that. Julie went home. I went home.

I sat home for about an hour, and something was bothering me. I just had a feeling she gave me a fake phone number. I had no real reason to believe this, but something about the way she said it to me made me believe that it wasn't real. It was now quite late and Julie was probably sleeping, and I debated whether I should call the number to see who answered. I was afraid that I would ruin it for "Mike" if I called and woke her up just an hour after leaving her company, coming off as desperate or weird. I decided that I would call , but would fake a Mexican accent and ask for "Jose" if she actually answered the phone. I was hoping just to get an answering machine with her voice on it.

I dialed the number, still wondering if I was doing the right thing. This is what I got:

MP3 file: http://pokerfraudalert.com/radio/nc.mp3

"Your call cannot be completed as dialed", just as I feared.

"Oh well," I thought. "I wasn't telling the truth myself, so I guess I can't be too mad about her giving me a fake number."

I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't going to be getting any, and that I wasn't going to get to continue being Mike, but perhaps it was for the better. It was a weeknight, and perhaps she was going to see the real Mike the next day, anyway. I felt that the jig was probably up soon, and this might have actually saved me a lot of hassle.

But then curiosity got the better of me.

Why did she give me a fake phone number?

She liked "Mike" enough to interrupt him eating, sit with him, and invite him over to her friends' house, so why give him a fake number at that point?

Was the whole thing just a joke on me? Did she and her friend concoct some plan to mess with the head of some lonely-looking guy eating alone? Was there actually no "Mike" in real life?

Could this have possibly just been about scoring a few free slices of pizza, and then she just never found a natural time to get rid of me?

Or did she really believe I was Mike, and did I screw something up during the evening to lower her opinion of him/me?

Or did she come to realize at some point that I was full of shit?

I had to get answers. It was just too weird to let go. Part of me was also still holding out hope that I just heard or remembered a digit incorrectly.

But how could I get any closure? I didn't have a real number, I only had her first name, and I wasn't that likely to run into her again.

Then I remembered her friend going back with that other guy to the pizza place. BINGO!

I rushed down to the pizza joint, and indeed, her friend and one of the guys were still there, drinking beer.

Now it was time for me to run a convincing bullshit story. I just hoped that they didn't know she had given me a fake phone number, and I especially hoped that they weren't told at some point that I wasn't really Mike.

"Ummm... hi!", I said, as I approached them. "Hey, Julie gave me her number earlier to call her about some chemistry notes when I got home, but when I tried, the number didn't work. I must have written it down wrong. Can you give it to me again?"

Her friend paused for a second, and then said, "Uh, sure... it's 685-0731."

The number I was given was 685-0794. So they were close, but not close enough to have heard or remembered wrong. Julie definitely morphed her real number into a fake one for purposes of giving me one that didn't work, yet having it appear to be real. I was reasonably certain that this was the real number, because the friend never heard the fake one being given out, and it would have been too much of a coincidence for them to have been so similar.

(These weren't the actual numbers, but I put them to demonstrate how they were close yet not-so-close.)

I thanked the friend, and went home.

For the next 2 days, I wondered what to do about this. Again, I didn't really have the right to be angry, because I was lying, too. I was trying to get a hot chick to sleep with me, thinking she was sleeping with someone she already knew from class. Did I really have a right to be sore when it didn't work out?

I wanted to call the number and confront her. I wanted to ask what the fuck really happened. I even considered calling up and coming clean that I wasn't Mike, and asking for her side of everything.

I decided that all of this would come off as too creepy, so I didn't do it. Besides, I didn't think it was likely she would tell me the truth, anyway.

I never made that call, other than to do what I originally planned -- call just to hear if the number was real, and pretend to have a wrong number if I got her. I reached her machine, heard her name "Julie" on it, and hung up.

21 years later, I still have no idea what the fuck this was all about.

Why did she do all of this? What was her endgame? Did Mike really exist? Was she just trying to leech some pizza from me?

I'll let the peanut gallery decide.

Load Metric
    You should have just hung out at Sam's To Go and sponged beers off the guys with fake ID's. Funny that you remember the 685 prefix.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    You should have just hung out at Sam's To Go and sponged beers off the guys with fake ID's. Funny that you remember the 685 prefix.
    I also remember 968.

And to be honest, I preferred Deja Vu over Sam's to Go.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Time to get your fake mexican accent on the radio.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I also remember 968.

The Vu was pretty solid. I wonder if they have the old sign outside that advertises that they are closed for 4 hours or open for 20 hours or something to that effect. Obv IV had different laws when that sign first went up. FWIW I was never a big Sam's guy either.

As to your encounter, I think that likely the girl figured out you were not Mike and didn't want the situation to turn awkward.

Load Metric
    Regardless of the 'Mike' thing, something happened where she stopped liking you. Giving someone a fake number is a pretty harsh sendoff imo

Load Metric
    I sure hope her friend wasn't my sister who went to UCSB during that time.
    Last edited by Bootsy Collins; 07-12-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: My sisters name is not Julie however she has a few friends named Julie.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Julie was a fake name.

The phone numbers I posted were also fake.

I don't remember any of that stuff, as it's been over 20 years.

(The 685 prefix was real, though!)

The girl in question was either my age or a year older, making her 40-41 years old now. I believe the friend was the same age.

I guess there is an outside chance that it could be your sister.

Stranger coincidences have happened to me.

In 1993, I had sex with the first cousin of Miri's then-boyfriend. I didn't meet Miri until the year 2000, didn't live anywhere near her, and Miri had no association with anyone I knew at the time. It was just a sheer coincidence that I had sex with her boyfriend's first cousin, out of millions of people in the LA area, seven years before I met her.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Julie was a fake name.

The phone numbers I posted were also fake.

I don't remember any of that stuff, as it's been over 20 years.

(The 685 prefix was real, though!)

The girl in question was either my age or a year older, making her 40-41 years old now. I believe the friend was the same age.

I guess there is an outside chance that it could be your sister.

Stranger coincidences have happened to me.

In 1993, I had sex with the first cousin of Miri's then-boyfriend. I didn't meet Miri until the year 2000, didn't live anywhere near her, and Miri had no association with anyone I knew at the time. It was just a sheer coincidence that I had sex with her boyfriend's first cousin, out of millions of people in the LA area, seven years before I met her.
    I doubt it. She certainly wasn't high maintenence nor does it sound like anything she would do. Our parents taught us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    LOL @ this all happening before I was even conceived.

I vote mike is real and she figured it out, hence the fake number - this seems obvious, but that's just my opinion. Can't see why she would do all that for free pizza and don't see why it would be necessary for a joke. She obviously was into you (aka mike) enough to invite you to the friend's house, but once she realized you weren't this guy, she wasn't going to give you the real number.

Load Metric
    Was clearly not done for free pizza because 99% of the time the guy is going to deny being mike. Plus hot chicks don't need to lie to get stuff, they just need to ask.

My best guess is that she just decided there was something she didn;t like about you, or maybe she figured out that something was not right or was tipped off that you weren't mike.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here are my thoughts on the matter. This might influence the voting, but fuck it.

When it was all said and done, I found it highly unlikely that they fabricated Mike. This is because her friend gave me Julie's real phone number. If they were making the whole thing up just to get pizza or to mess with my head, her friend wouldn't have gone for that "I need to call her about chemistry class" excuse, and wouldn't have given her phone number. I guess there's a slight chance that she felt on the spot and just gave it to avoid confrontation, but I think it's much more likely that Mike really existed, and that they at least initially thought I was him.

I also don't think they were using Mike for pizza. As betcheckbet correctly pointed out, hot chicks are used to getting things they ask for. If they really thought Mike was just a desperate chump willing to hand out pizza, (and they thought he really knew them), they could have just asked for it, and not had to go through the whole routine of inviting me/him to the other table and then to the house.

I think the two most likely scenarios are the ones most of you guys have concluded so far: Either she liked "Mike" and I did something to ruin that, OR she discovered I wasn't him and just wanted out of the whole mess. It's also possible she wasn't sure if I was him, and decided to give me the fake number and consult the real Mike about it in class the next day. Would be funny if she and the real Mike ended up dating and had the LOL story of some guy impersonating him prior to them being together.

I wonder if I told someone at the time about this story, and they ripped off the premise to make the film "The Majestic" in 2001.

Okay, probably not.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I also remember 968.

The Vu was pretty solid. I wonder if they have the old sign outside that advertises that they are closed for 4 hours or open for 20 hours or something to that effect. Obv IV had different laws when that sign first went up. FWIW I was never a big Sam's guy either.

As to your encounter, I think that likely the girl figured out you were not Mike and didn't want the situation to turn awkward.
    Yeah the sign said "Open 20 hours" which was like 6am - 2am, but I found that this actually varied. Sometimes I'd go down there at 1:30am, craving a pastrami sandwich with cheddar, and the place was shut down. Other times I'd see it open near 3am. I learned to just call ahead if I wanted something there near closing time.

Deja Vu is actually close to my heart, because it was the last place I went with my current girlfriend (and Benjamin's mom), back in 1993, just days before I graduated. That remained my last memory of her for over 16 years until I saw her again in 2009. We went back there in 2009 about two months into our relationship, just for nostalgia's sake, and I don't remember seeing the Open 20 Hours sign. The rest of it is surprisingly similar.

They do still have the same phone number of (805) 968-8888, and I grabbed a magnet when I was there with that phone number on it.

Load Metric
    I think the two most likely scenarios are the ones most of you guys have concluded so far: Either she liked "Mike" and I did something to ruin that, OR she discovered I wasn't him and just wanted out of the whole mess. It's also possible she wasn't sure if I was him, and decided to give me the fake number and consult the real Mike about it in class the next day.
    I find it highly unlikely that it's just that you ruined whatever attraction she had to "mike", mainly because even after she had chatted and hung out with you at the pizza place that she did invite you to the friends' house. She obviously didn't have to do that and unless you just said something incredibly stupid or something that actually offended her, whatever attraction to "mike" she had should have remained about the same.

Realistically, the whole time she just wasn't 100% sure you were who you said you were and it didn't hurt to let you tag along to the friend's place because you were in a group and she was perfectly safe. Once the opportunity for a 1 on 1 came up (ie the phone), she probably realized that wasn't the best idea because you could be a serial rapist.
    Last edited by Beebs9Dizzle; 07-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Load Metric
    I think you should track down this Julie character and demand she pays you for eating your pizza.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Why did she give me a fake phone number?

She liked "Mike" enough to interrupt him eating, sit with him, and invite him over to her friends' house, so why give him a fake number at that point?

Was the whole thing just a joke on me? Did she and her friend concoct some plan to mess with the head of some lonely-looking guy eating alone? Was there actually no "Mike" in real life?

Could this have possibly just been about scoring a few free slices of pizza, and then she just never found a natural time to get rid of me?

Or did she really believe I was Mike, and did I screw something up during the evening to lower her opinion of him/me?

Or did she come to realize at some point that I was full of shit?

I had to get answers. It was just too weird to let go. Part of me was also still holding out hope that I just heard or remembered a digit incorrectly.

But how could I get any closure? I didn't have a real number, I only had her first name, and I wasn't that likely to run into her again.
    Is this really how your mind works??? It's like a tidal wave of jumps to every conceivable conclusion. Hey, maybe she wasn't really a college student but was an undercover CIA operative assigned to investigate loners in pizza parlors??? (I kid of course)

BTW, Occam's Razor tells us she probably had a boyfriend (maybe they were split up recently) and just wasn't that into you.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    Sounds like she caught on that you weren't mike from chemistry class. If shes in class with this dude shes going to have to see him again and giving him a fake number would make that awkward.

Load Metric
    Man, this is a tough one. It really all depends on a bunch of factors. If she realized you weren't Mike at some point in the night, you'd think she would've told her friend and the friend wouldn't give you the number.

I think she thought you were Mike, but as the night went on, she just lost interest. Especially since she had a picture of Mike in her head going in, and as time went by you reminded her less and less of what she thought Mike to be, but obviously would never think you were impersonating someone.

I think she gave you a fake number because it was summer session, I'm guessing the chem class they had together was in the spring. So, she wasn't very worried about you confronting her in class, and if you happened to have a class together after that she would have ample time to come up with some story as to why you couldn't contact her via that number.

If they realized you weren't Mike they also wouldn't have invited you to multiple places during the night. If they thought you were lying about who you were they certainly wouldn't invite you back to a house to all be slaughtered and eaten... Also if they had any doubt, they would've easily asked you for your ID(not unreasonable)

I really just think you didn't fuck up, you just weren't the Mike she was initially attracted to in some way.
    Last edited by JUSTIFIEDhomicide; 07-13-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    I really just think you didn't fuck up, you just weren't the Mike she was initially attracted to in some way.

After driving 80+ yards, Mike for sure was gonna punch it in. Druffs jew penis comes out of nowhere w/ a goal line stand.

Load Metric
    This makes me wonder how many chicks you have in your freezer.

Thread Information